Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Asking for Northstar tip

SkooLBoY_SkePtiK
386 postsPosts: 401 ✭✭
edited May 2017
Thanks for the replies, but since the change to the plasma railgun vs sword block, Ronin is the biggest problem and more than just for Northstar.

Ronin's sword block is not balanced. I'm sorry but it will ruin this game. It's a simple process. Block, arc wave, block, unload shotgun, block, phase, block, reload, unload shotgun, block, arc wave, execution. Not fun to play against.

Comments

• OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    As a gen 10 Northstar user:

It's easy to dodge the tracker missiles if you circle strafe around the tone using dashes up close or hover over the top of them. Often tones panic if you use speed against them, hence why Ronin is considered a strong counter. Key is to dash a little bit after their missile launcher on their shoulder raises. This way the missiles curve behind you.

Tones are rather easy to kill up close with north-star if your aggressive; back-pedaling is a death sentence. If they use their particle shield at close range you can dash through it or around it which basically negates the ability; and you can also attach a cluster missile to it for easy DPS. I've had funny moments where I've turn a tone's shield against them. Its one way, so if they try to escape they can't shoot through their own shield.

By dashing around tones and using smoke to disorient them you can shoot them with partially charged shots for easy damage, then unleash North's mega combo of: snare trap + cluster bomb + flight core. You can also supplement this combos damage by charging a shot during snare trap launch and latching. Then hover to assist with cluster missile placement, and dump some bullets into the target before using flight core. When flight core is up you can circle strafe the target.

Due to this, I really like viper thrusters and over-core. Since north is squishy she needs flight core more as a offensive escape from CQC than a damage dealer. Viper thrusters enhances this escape capability.

I don't see many people discussing this but north can modulate her damage by choosing how much to charge her bullets. I see too many players going for full charged shots, when half-charge or quater-charged shots can deal damage faster though you'll deal less damage in total.
  • ImSmart4Real
    47 postsPosts: 70
    using 1 tehter trap will pin the enemy to an area but using the 2 trap kit will hold that enemy in place with no option to move... makes it easier to crit-hit+ cluster missile.
    "ImSmart- you're not."
  • Voidwalker-1998
    139 postsPosts: 143
    Yeah, on a number of occasions, I've managed to hover over a tone and basically steal their particle wall because they were foolish enough to run under me. Other than that, i have to agree with OdysseyHome.
    'Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat' - They all hurt, the last one kills.
  • AlClemBee9575
    17 postsPosts: 22
    edited March 2017
    Another tip about Northstar is that her Plasma Railgun CANNOT be blocked by Ronin's sword block. The sword blocking damage animation will still happen, but the entire damage done by your PR shot will be the same. Keep that in mind. I only found this out a few days ago, so it's a good thing to keep in the back of your head when coming up against them. HAVE NO FEAR and let loose.
  • Voidwalker-1998
    Another tip about Northstar is that her Plasma Railgun CANNOT be blocked by Ronin's sword block. The sword blocking damage animation will still happen, but the entire damage done by your PR shot will be the same. Keep that in mind. I only found this out a few days ago, so it's a good thing to keep in the back of your head when coming up against them. HAVE NO FEAR and let loose.

I didn't know that and I've been using her for a good couple of months now. I always have issues with Ronins when I use Northstar so thanks for the tip.
  • TheMightyM0
    434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭

I didn't know that and I've been using her for a good couple of months now. I always have issues with Ronins when I use Northstar so thanks for the tip.

Holy **** secret balancing. That's awesome. And explains a lot.

Like has been said, Overcore and Viper Thrusters are amazing. The biggest challenge that you will have against Tone is simply doing everything you can to not blindly run into one, because thanks to the noobish point and unload nature of Panic Core (sorry, Salvo Core) people will often save it for emergencies like getting caught by another titan they didn't know was behind them. You have to expect Tone to use its Salvo Core as soon as they run into you, and that actually makes it very easy to dodge.

To avoid a Salvo Core:

1- know where the Tones are. You can almost force them to waste Salvo Core on you if you are ready for them to come around a corner.

2- when you are mostly sure of the Tone's location, flank them. Get close. Weirdly, Northstar can actually be more dangerous at close range than people give her credit for.

3- anticipate the panic button use of Salvo Core. Immediately dash toward the Tone, activating either Hover or preferably Flight Core while moving toward the Tone. Use your momentum coming out of the dash to launch yourself up and to one side, aiming behind the Tone to give you a weird diagonal trajectory.

4- watch them freak out as they miss you with a minimum of half their rockets, and potentially up to 70 or 80% of them.

5- blow them up with either your Flight Core or with the tether cluster smoke shoot shoot shoot combo.

Realistically, I have a harder time taking on Tones that don't actually use their Salvo Core but instead tag me with the 40mm and their rockets when I do this. That will show you the difference between good Tones and less experienced Tones. They don't panic. You should just make sure you don't either.
  • Voidwalker-1998
    Like has been said, Overcore and Viper Thrusters are amazing. The biggest challenge that you will have against Tone is simply doing everything you can to not blindly run into one, because thanks to the noobish point and unload nature of Panic Core (sorry, Salvo Core) people will often save it for emergencies like getting caught by another titan they didn't know was behind them. You have to expect Tone to use its Salvo Core as soon as they run into you, and that actually makes it very easy to dodge.

I will admit, you also need to be aware that some Tone pilots (like me the odd time i use her) will purposely fire and miss the salvo core so they can curve it behind you. I do it all the time, mainly against titans with their shields up, but i just thought I'd point that out. Last thing you need as Northstar is for a tone to trick you by missing with the salvo core, just to get smacked by it from behind.

You will also need to remember that buildings are your friend when it comes to avoiding salvo core rockets.
  • mwatts799900
    12 postsPosts: 16
    as a gen 2.40 pilot, i should have mastered the titans by now, but northstar is my all time favorite because now i can take on a legion at close range and still have 2 bars of health left. but some tricks i recommend are to star active dont stop except for when making a shot, because if not you will die. if you like speed go for the extra dash but if you play LTS a lot then i recommend you use the core boost, and thats all i got for you if you have any tips you want to share with me, email me at [email protected], i will reply as soon as possible
  • Voidwalker-1998

I've recently noticed that Sword Block has started blocking fully charged shots like everything else now... it makes me hate Sword Block even more now, it turns core abilities into jokes and now the only little counter for it is now patched... i still find it funny how most Ronin's still run around spamming melee and nuke ejection... I prefer to use him for Hit & Runs against titans and general anti-pilot work
  • TheMightyM0
    434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
    Having played Ronin, I've realized that I am really bad at it. The reason I am bad at it is because I don't manage blocking well, and so I usually take too much damage after fighting even one titan. It seems like everyone else's Ronins are nigh unto invulnerable when they get close (unless I am driving Scorch :) ) while mine is like a stack of wet cardboard.

That said, I am not the only bad Ronin player. I know I have run into a few games where someone looks like a gaming god on foot, they drop an early Ronin, and my team panics just because it's a Ronin. Realistically, I'd say most people who drive Ronin, like Tone, aren't outstanding at driving their titans. Therefore, in those situations, it is important to play smart. Most people now have figured out that Tone is easy to play against the average player, and Ronin is easy to play against the average player because he's scary.

In one of those games where I saw a guy drop an early Ronin, and I got my Northstar before anyone else on my team had a titan. I had been watching the score because of the Ronin, and I noticed it wasn't getting cranked into an insurmountable lead so I assumed that the guy playing the Ronin was only average. I dropped my Northstar and went Ronin hunting, and long story short he did take one bar of health off my titan, but he ended up nuke ejecting. We were both basically at full health but I made sure I controlled the fight with tethers, smoke, and cluster missiles. This was post-patch, too, so that guy was doing a bad job of managing his blocking just like do. (main reason I don't drive Ronin, actually. Northstar is so good she doesn't need a block)

This is going to sound crazy but shooting a cluster missile at the ground between your Northstar and an average or bad Ronin player effectively sends a message: I don't want you moving through that spot, and I have the tools to prevent you from doing it. The trick is to bait the Ronin into wasting its phase dash, because then they're easy to manipulate if they're just average or bad, and a good indicator of whether that Ronin is decent or not can be if they use their phase dash while they are coming toward you just to close the distance. More clever players will save it, most of the time, so if they waste it just trying to get to you, you can then tether them and get them to panic instead of the other way around.

To sum up, keep in mind that most players are just kind of average, and if you know that, then you can mess with them pretty easily.
  • Dinorush13
    683 postsPosts: 692 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    With Sword Block reducing all non-melee damage now, the NS v Ronin play is skill based like NS v Ion. You should only fire willy-nilly if you are at a safe distance or you simply want to push them back. If they are closer, wait for them to drop their guard. Waiting for charged shots will almost always be less effective than firing partially charged shots when Ronin is gunning for it since Ronin can block them for 500 damage when you can land 500-1500 damage + knockback since he will most likely be aggressive after blocking the first shot. Always throw tethers ahead of where they'll be and on the side of the path so that they cannot get an Arc Wave collat. Hover should be used to escape arcwaves and if using ViperT use air strafing to maintain a safe distance. If using double tethers instead, stagger the tethers and place them ahead of time to keep them from chasing. Clusters should also be placed ahead of them or if you are going to melee them. Smoke should be used for melee battles or to deter them/blind them. It is dumb that SB makes cores basically only do half a bar when combined wih dodging, but the neutral game is pretty equal in the NS v Ronin matchup. In a no battery fight NS demolishes Ronin. With batteries, it is quite skill-based and map dependent. But it is far from unfair or impossible.

This is the best I can describe from my experience of 1v1ing some of the best Ronins on X1.
  • mwatts799900
    12 postsPosts: 16
    as a northstar player 1 tip i will give you is to stay out of open areas and to stay with at least 1 other titan s that they focus on them up close and you can stay at a distance. and every time you make a shot dash around a corner
  • Voidwalker-1998
    This just goes to show how varied the skill levels are for NS pilots:

I had an attrition match yesterday with her where I was doomed by a Ronin (but Sword Core is risky when you yourself are doomed) halfway through the match. I killed the Ronin and continued fighting since I just don't bother ejecting any more, and close to the end of the match I saw an enemy NS at full health.

Granted, I did get the first hit in, but I managed to take him from full health to dead without my core when he could have one shot me with a half charged shot but he couldn't hit me. Managed to survive the rest of the match just because I don't play reckless with NS like some pilots.

I just think that enemy needed to learn to lead his shots better, but we all need to start from somewhere.

P.S. Just got the black paint for her... it suits the stealth fighter-like design of her prime chassis :)