Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Matchmaking with another player on the same Local Area Network

DrBorisGoltz
9 postsPosts: 12
edited October 2016
Platform: PS4
Issue: Cannot play with another player on the same local area network.
Can you reproduce this issue 100% of the time: Yes.
Details on how to reproduce the issue: With somebody on the same LAN, try to join a match while in a party. One will get in but the other will fail to load into the match.
Region: NA
Internet Service Provider (ISP): Spectrum
Router: Nighthawk X6 R8000

I have UPNP turned on, and this hasn't been an issue in any other game. Oddly enough this was fixed in the second weekend of the beta, but now it's broken again.

Comments

• aN1M3w33dL0rD
    1 postsPosts: 1
    edited October 2016
    I am encountering the same issue, though we are playing on PC.
  • I have the same issue, same system, same router. Different ISP, mine is Cableone.
  • Very strange that this was fixed during the second beta wave.
  • Issue: Cannot play with another player on the same local area network.
    Platform: XBOX ONE
    Details on how to reproduce the issue: With somebody on the same LAN, try to join a match while in a party. One will get in but the other will fail to load into the match. My son and I both have XBOX ONE and have had no trouble with any other game. This fails even if the party leader is NOT on the same network (We tried this with a friend outside)
    Region: USA
    Internet Service Provider (ISP): Comcast
    Router: Nighthawk X6 R7900
  • JoeMonger
    6 postsPosts: 7
    edited October 2016
    I am also having problems with this. I have tried port triggering. It worked for about 2 games, now one of us ALWAYS loses connection before the game starts. We got this game to play together and it is frustrating that after $120 spent, we are not able to.
  • Drwrybot
    8 postsPosts: 8
    I run into the same problem with my wife. We can play once together, maybe twice, before one if us hits a server time out error message. Both of us are on Xbox one. I use a netgear nighthawk. I've tried port triggering, but it didn't help. The only way to play together is after one of us gets booted one or two games in, I have to restart both machines. Restarting the game does nothing.
  • wubnasty
    Can't play in games with people on the same LAN either. PC
  • cobrarsnake1
    12 postsPosts: 12
    Having the same issue on xbox one when playing with the kid or wife. Get one or 2 games in before one of us gets booted with server times out or unable to join issue. The xbox that gets the error is the one that starts that match. If i start a match then I get the boot, if my wife starts then she gets the boot. This does not happen with any other game and it is unacceptable. Looks like it is not a console or personal network issue but an issues on Titanfall's servers. Needs to be fixed ASAP or refunds need to be offered.
  • Platform: PS4
    Issue: Cannot play in the same games with another player on the same local area network.
    Details on how to reproduce the issue: With somebody on the same LAN, try to join a match while in a party. One will get in but the other will fail to load into the match. (Sometimes neither will get in). We DO NOT have any issues joining separate matches at the same time.
    Region: NA
    Internet Service Provider (ISP): Time Warner Cable
    Router: Nighthawk (don't know the model off the top of my head).

Have said that. Any response on this issue at all? Every time we boot it up hoping that it will be fixed and it is still happening.... I can play with other friends who are not on the same lan. However, we both can't play with them. We can also start different game at the same time and have no issues. Why design a game like this? We have tried port triggering, we have tried one on wireless and one hardwired.

Can we at least get some sort of acknowledgement that it is being worked on?
  • cobrarsnake1
    Same problem and the response so far from Respawn are "it's working as intended." I've got 3 xboxes and this game for everyone in my family so basically I got screwed out of $200 for a game that I can't play with my wife and son. No problems with Titanfall 1.
  • GR0UNDST0P
    Also can not play with someone on same local network. One of us will fail to connect 100% of the time.
    System: XB1
    ISP: Comcast
    Reproducibility: Always
    Impact: Significant, only purchased the game to play multiplayer with the person in my local network and I an unable to do that.
    Steps:
    1. Join party with someone who is on same local network. Does not matter who the host is. Does not matter whether you are directly invited or you use a network invite. NAT settings don't seem to matter, although most testing was performed with both systems on OPEN.
    2. Queue for matchmaking.
    3. One person in the local network will repeatedly fail to connect to the match. (No consistency on which person will fail to connect. 100% consistency that one of the people will fail to connect.)
  • IronicCodeine
    10 postsPosts: 10
    From the top of my head, this sounds a lot like improperly sorted packets clogging up the router. I've seen this in a lot of games before, and it always has to do with a specific type of game / router / packet combination that causes the router to get confused what packet is for what device. Typically the header or whatever isn't clearly labeled, and when it's part of a "stream" (such as the constant back and forth of a game) the router tries to spin plates and ends up dropping a couple. Eventually it all comes crashing down on it.

Best guess would try to DMZ one device, and see if that helps at all.
  • Anidaan
    PS4 version and same problem when trying to play with my roommates!
  • Same Issue on X1. Only way i can sometimes make it work is having someone outside of our LAN host the party and start the match.

Really **** that Respawn hasn't even acknowledged this, especially since its on all platforms.
  • Drwrybot
    edited November 2016
    Bump for respawn acknowledgment.
  • cobrarsnake1
    Bump for awareness
  • NocksFTW
    2 postsPosts: 2
    edited November 2016
    Same issue for me as well. It's interesting to note that more than a few of us are using the Netgear Nighthawk router. I can occasionally (once per day) get one or two matches in with my son on local network but that's it. After that one of us will fail to connect.

SYSTEM: PS4
    ISP: Comcast
    ROUTER: NETGEAR NIGHTHAWK
    FREQUENCY: Always
    NAT TYPE: 2 (for both of us)
    ROUTER CONNECTION: Tried one ps4 hardwired and one on wifi. Tried both hardwired to router. No joy.
    IMPACT: Significant, Purchased two copies of the game to play multiplayer with my son on local network and am unable to do that.

Steps:
    1. Join party with someone who is on same local network. Does not matter who the host is. Does not matter whether you are directly invited or you use a network invite.
    2. Queue for matchmaking
    3. One person in the local network will repeatedly fail to connect to the match. No consistency on which person will fail to connect.
    NOTE: Same thing happens if third party off my local network forms the party.
  • cobrarsnake1
    Update: I switched my Nighthawk for an Apple Airport and managed to play about 6 games with my family without any issue last night. Will try again tonight. However this still should not be an issue as most people can't afforded to replace their router for this one game.
  • zoomastigophora
    38 postsPosts: 38 Community Manager
    Slothy responded in a reddit thread about the same issue:

"Hello there. This one isn't on our side, but is something in your router.
    As others here have said, the game works just fine with multiple people behind the same router - in fact this is the normal case for us as we have dozens of people playing at once in our office on a server out on the internet.
    You shouldn't have to do any tweaks for us - no UPNP, no Open NAT, etc. Your router is doing some network address translation (aka NAT) and if it isn't implemented correctly, it'll get confused when two clients talk to the same remote IP and port.
    Other routers will be just fine, but if they are using source IP + port as their lookup key, it'll forget about one of your kits and send all of the traffic to the other one. Routers need to be looking at the destination IP as well as the source IP and port.
    tldr; Internetting is hard, and a lot of routers are surprisingly broken."

It's unfortunate for folks experiencing the issue, but you can try updating your router firmware to see if that improves things or open a support ticket with your router manufacturer.
  • OP here, I replaced my Nighthawk for a TP-Link and it solved the problem. It's definitely something to do with the Nighthawk range of routers.
  • cobrarsnake1
    I call ****, no other game has this problem... Bungie might be a bunch of jacka$$es but at least their game works. Same for Battlefield, Halo, The Crew and many many others. Titanfall 3 is the only game with this problem.
  • I solved this issue by going into the nighthawk settings

Advanced > Setup > WAN Setup
    Change `Nat Filtering` from `secured` to `open`.

Additionally you can reserve the IP's for the devices on the network that will be playing multiplayer to keep them from changing. This is especially useful if you're on a wireless connection.

Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup
    Click the `add` button under the `Address Reservation` section and select the device you want to reserve the local IP for.
  • Drwrybot
    edited November 2016
    This absolutely works. Thank you.
  • SourceC0de wrote: »
    I solved this issue by going into the nighthawk settings

Additionally you can reserve the IP's for the devices on the network that will be playing multiplayer to keep them from changing. This is especially useful if you're on a wireless connection.

Click the `add` button under the `Address Reservation` section and select the device you want to reserve the local IP for.

yes this worked for me also thanks for the fix SourceC0de
  • emac11
    6 postsPosts: 6
    Some possible options for those using routers other than the Nighthawk router (which has a link in a previous post to fix the issue) if your router control panel has a setting for SPI filtering/firewall (stateful packet inspection), disable that option and attemp to connect your consoles again. And if that is not an option or if that does not work, if your router has a demilitarized zone setting (DMZ) put the ip address of one of the consoles in on this option and try connecting again. Hope this helps.
  • Demo34n3
    On xbox when i use stim and punch him in the face it wont kill him but when he punch me im dead can you pls fix that. thank you
  • kozmica
    8 postsPosts: 9
    edited April 2017
    Well I have a MA5675M Huaiwei modem and this also happens to me, it joins fine but only the first match, the second match it drops one of us. Tried open NAT, DMZ and everything and it still happens (PS4)

RESPAWN, THIS IS NOT A ROUTER PROBLEM, THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM. It works just fine with GTAV, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. We only get this issue with Titanfall 2, its really annoying and in stream everyone will see that and it will be yet another reason to not buy it.
  • pbearfin
    SourceC0de wrote: »
    I solved this issue by going into the nighthawk settings

I will try this. My son and I have been playing fine for a while until this past week. Early on we lost the ability to play many of our games online. Upon diagnostics we got a statement from Microsoft stating they were having problems with some services. The next night everything but TF2 would let us play together. Sometimes it would just kick one of us off. Other times we would play the same game map but different sessions. So we would look for each other and quickly realize we were intact in different games.

If EA games wants to run this game this way it is fine. But they need to state that it is a one copy per IP kind of game. Or chime in with a resolution. Silence just says "We don't care". If you don't have a work around then say so and at least come up with an action plan to figure out a resolution.