Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Best titan to use alongside you, without getting in it, and all loadouts.

So I've just really discovered the fantastic opportunities of pairing an enhanced auto-titan, in guard mode, with my stim-rushing skills. I've finally completed my pilot skills improvement, and mastered the slide-hop, leaving me flying the map at insane speeds, and I've really become formidable at clearing pilots. So, I tried out an unspeakable technique; i called in a tone, but never embarked. Yes call me a rebel ;) but I fought in one area, chasing any pilot to smell my titan, and I annihilated. What I would love is if you could post any thoughts, or loadouts/ best titan for this pairing. You could also give good pilot classes to pair it with. Thanks for any help or suggestions or ideas.

Comments

• Murf--EZmoney
    150 postsPosts: 173
    edited February 13
    I have no idea, but here is my guess. I am thinking you want to use the "tank" type titans because the AI for the titans is probably to slow and dumb for a Ronin or Northstar to survive against an actual human player for any length of time. It will have no strategy and be killed in very short order.
  • I do this fairly often, where I pick a titan and then use it as an auto-titan (I mostly play amped hardpoint, and on some maps titans can't cap them). The best titans for this pairing are in order 1. Scorch 2. Ion/Legion 3. Tone. As for titan kits, regardless of the titan you should be running Assault Chip and Warpfall (the latter you can use to get some sneaky titan kills if you time it right). The additional kit choice (that's unique to each titan) is essentially up to you, as most are equally ineffective on an auto-titan. I would suggest running this kit with a pilot with an anti-titan weapon and firestar, as you will need effective methods of killing titans as a pilot, and the firestar especially is very useful for this.
  • Soraisu
    181 postsPosts: 192 ✭✭
    I would agree with what was posted by @Murf--EZmoney. The lower health titans require pilot-operation to make them especially skillful (at least from my personal experience.)

I tried using Ronin with the assault chip once, never again. He got backed into a corner and obliterated :cry:
    Xb1: FiftyEagleEye - I support #PositivityMondays - Ronin 4 lyf.
  • Aimbot_user
    18 postsPosts: 24
    Legion is my favorite titan to auto chip because of his health and ease of use, but the problem is steamrolling. If you get your titan early, you can't push your advantage with auto chip, but you can by getting into your titan. Also, when an opponent drops his/her titan in and completely wrecks your auto titan, your team will be down a titan, leading to possible steamroll opportunities. Killing pilots with a 20 ton tank is great, but when you fight something your own size, there isn't much you can do.
  • clonex1010
    2 postsPosts: 3
    I would say legion. Very tanky and the ai can play him well sense basically all you need to do is hold down fire.
  • OdysseyHome
    1583 postsPosts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
    This is something i've been trying to research but it's hard to test. The assault chip (AC) description is vague and AI titan (AT) commads of follow and hold are too vague to give precise control so often ATs are really stup1d.

From my tests AC makes auto titans more aggressive/fast acting, shooting more often and with better accuracy. ATs don't have access to titan kit perks, but AC permits AT use of offensive and utility abilities. Problem though is how these abilities are triggered is rather suboptimal e.g. AC scorch can use gas trap, but basically use them like fire bombs; and fire wall, but uses it as a close quater punch. Also, the ATs first priority is to obey your ordered state which interferes with how they fight; requiring the need to stay near them and know how to move with them so that they don't disengage / overstay fights. They also have a threat priority targeting system so they will engage the closest target but preference big machines before small humans.

Knowing this, ATs are really good minion killers / pilot distractions, with AC having noticable improvement. Deploy at a minion spawn and soak up points FAST. I like to use a cloak, low profile, satchel loadout as i can be invisible to distracted hostile titans that i can bomb then rodeo for stealth damage to give my AT better kill chance and longevity.

Slow tians with hi dps like legion, and scorch are best as hold ATs i.e. hold an area with minions and let them kill stuff while you protect them / use them as a distraction. North and Ronin are good follow ATs where you lead them to a isolated weakened titan, use the fight to steal a battery / stealth bomb the foe, then pilot the titan. Ion and tone are hybrids (can do both), but specalizing in follow and hold styles, respectively.

Honestly though, i think AC is best when used as a supplement rather than a staple. Piloting is allways best, but AC enables more security when blending pilot and titan tactics like those said above. The battery stealing during solo fights example is more safe with AC on than off so thats the main use i have for it; can earn core more quickly. Risk reward.
  • OdysseyHome
    I find auto-titans are really useful for stealing batteries from your foes to feed your own titan or as a means to increase minion farming. The assault chip kit basically enhances damage by increasing accuracy, AI action speed, and additional ability use, so it's helpful but just hard to tell when it actually IS helpful.

I personally like to use cloak + low profile + satchel charge + warp-fall as a load-out because I can stealth around hostile targets and use my auto-titan as a decoy, mortar strike, and or escape capsule. Any extra damage my auto-titan can deal to a C4 stuck foe can be the difference between a titan+pilot kill or a titan kill pilot doom eject.

As for best auto-titan it really depends on how you work with the titan AI. Titans will always priorities their order state to follow or guard before attacking, and they will always shoot the closest enemy based upon a threat profile (i.e. target big machines first then small grunts last). Knowing this, pilots that parkour the map will find their auto-titan constantly running after them, not caring about any foes they may find along the way. Auto-titans become more effective if you move with them, and are mindful of the circular range they use to follow your position, or to pursue hostiles while guarding.

I find that to work with a auto-titan effectively you need to be mindful of their speed, their abilities attack range, and their defensive ability. Their speed indicates how well they follow / rally to your position. Their attack range indicates if they are best suited for guarding choke points or assisting assaults. Their defensive ability indicates how good they are at protecting you from collateral damage when sticking close to them.
  • Yeah just wondering if anyone has any inputs on how this works in frontier defence, also looking to make a new post, how do you add polls, they used to be a thing
  • OdysseyHome
    Yeah just wondering if anyone has any inputs on how this works in frontier defence, also looking to make a new post, how do you add polls, they used to be a thing

For frontier legions and ion are rather good.

Ions always been a fav enhanced auto titan of mine due her laser tripwire. She shoots it out when foes are close and it deals huge damage over a large radius. The Ion enemies also do this and makes rodeoing the a danger for the same reason.

Legion is probably the best enhanced auto titan in FD due his aegis rank abilities. Basically a full level legion has all kits and kits apply to auto titans; and his shots penetrate; and powershot gets additional perks. If you position him correctly you can help out with an amped archer and satchels.

Issue with auto titans is that they melee foes that are close so will always lose to a titan AI enemy since they have higher health. AI enemies also kill auto titans out right by kicking the over when the run out of health bypassing doom state. So make sure your titan is guarding out side the foes path so they deal damage with abilities.

I like to use phase embark for auto titan builds in FD to assist with positioning. And escaping from nuke titans. Interestingly if you drop a titan on a nuke titan no nuke!

Ronin due his melee buff and range maybe a good enhanced auto titan in FD but haven't tried him out.
  • Kabanyash_
    23 postsPosts: 24
    I personally hate rodeo merchants and Autotitans in FD.
  • OdysseyHome
    Kabanyash_ wrote: »
    I personally hate rodeo merchants and Autotitans in FD.

I only hate them only if they don't use the auto titan correctly and just park it at the harvester. I also hate the amp battery too: you don't need it if you let allies steal batteries to recover and boost their titans. The amp battery is a waste of cash. I only buy them when playing with randoms that are kill hungery and don't leave me a titan target to hurt / kill / rodeo to get my titan back. Made a post about it "Rodeo in FD".

But must admit legions are rather potent enhanced auto titans with the assault chip when use correctly. Make them follow you but set them to hold at areas so that they will shoot foes and not start meleeing them. He's pretty tanky and can survive; and his aegis kits work on his assault titan form so he's the best one.

Then you can supplement his damage with ordinance, anti-titan weapons, and rodeos, feeding him sheilds to get smart core super quick, which allows you to dump truck people with bullets then activate smart core for infinite ammo, and then leave when it's over. Phase embark helps with positioning. Get in while he's in guard mode, leave, he'll stay their.
  • RaulSchalke04
    43 postsPosts: 54
    A noob question, how to order your Titan around?

So far I know if I didnt embark then he will follow me or try to find me. So we can order her to attack or take guard position?
  • RedShield75
    173 postsPosts: 198
    A noob question, how to order your Titan around?

So far I know if I didnt embark then he will follow me or try to find me. So we can order her to attack or take guard position?

Once your titan hits the ground, hitting the titanfall key/button (on PC default is V) will cause your titan to switch modes. It should tell you what key you use in the image in the bottom left. It will change between green and orange. (at least it does without any colorblind stuff, I don't know what happens to it if they are on) Upon switching modes, your titan OS will also say something like, "Following your lead pilot" or if on guard mode, ""Guard mode activated. Scanning for enemy hostiles." Guard mode will cause the titan to be completely still. When Follow mode is active, they will bee line the best course to follow you, but they will tend to walk away once an enemy appears, to get in the line of fire to start firing. So keep that in mind because it always seems to happen when you try to get in to save its butt because you have a battery and it has no health. Set it to guard mode then. They will shoot, use their defensive abilities, and if auto chip is equipped they will use their offensive and defensive utilities.
    (For Ion, the defensive is Vortex Shield, the offensive is Laser Shot, and the Utility is Laser Tripwire) You can see what weapons are which type (offensive. etc) by hovering over the titan option in the initial selection screen.
  • Yeah just wondering if anyone has any inputs on how this works in frontier defence, also looking to make a new post, how do you add polls, they used to be a thing

For frontier legions and ion are rather good.

Ions always been a fav enhanced auto titan of mine due her laser tripwire. She shoots it out when foes are close and it deals huge damage over a large radius. The Ion enemies also do this and makes rodeoing the a danger for the same reason.

Legion is probably the best enhanced auto titan in FD due his aegis rank abilities. Basically a full level legion has all kits and kits apply to auto titans; and his shots penetrate; and powershot gets additional perks. If you position him correctly you can help out with an amped archer and satchels.

Issue with auto titans is that they melee foes that are close so will always lose to a titan AI enemy since they have higher health. AI enemies also kill auto titans out right by kicking the over when the run out of health bypassing doom state. So make sure your titan is guarding out side the foes path so they deal damage with abilities.

I like to use phase embark for auto titan builds in FD to assist with positioning. And escaping from nuke titans. Interestingly if you drop a titan on a nuke titan no nuke!

Ronin due his melee buff and range maybe a good enhanced auto titan in FD but haven't tried him out.

Have you got any advice for best accompanying pilot kits?, I know you said archer but I find the thunderbolt is insanely good at farming the ai clumps of nuke Titans, I always use it when respawning.
  • OdysseyHome
    @Hazah13-0115-Ic

It depends on the titan you are working with, but phase embark and kill report at decent pilot kit options for working with enhance auto-titans. Kill report not so much in FD but for MP it works in both titans and as pilot so it's better than other offerings; unless you use cloak in which case low profile is best to assist with cloaked rodeos.

Phase embark is really useful for positioning auto-titans as I said. It also enable quicker batter steals so you can support your auto-titan and use their core before exiting.

As for anti-titan weapons archer is good with a cloak and satchel charge combo. It allows you to supplement the auto-titans damage output; and exploit them as a distraction.

Charge rifle with Amp wall and hack mod is another good combo (especially for FD). But I find the charge rifle too hard to use because of it's auto-fire at 100% charge, and lack of zoom. It's only worth while if you get crits, so archer I find easier to use.

Thunderbolt I think is a better choice if you want to quickly recover your titan and pilot it; rather than earn a titan and use it as a enhanced auto-titan. The damage isn't too significant, and it lacks long range capacity. MGL is similar, but does work well with the cloak satchel load-out. But more so in MP than in FD.

Ordinance is a choice between fire-star for DPS, satchels for burst damage, and smoke for AoE. I prefer satchels because you can hurt yourself with the other ordinance if you try to rodeo the target and get a battery.

Also, grenadier primary weapons are really good when playing with an auto-titan. They harm titans and can crit, so it's damage that assists your auto-titan. Auto-titans are good at killing weak foes, but aren't smart enough to fight foes with higher health.

Phase shift I find rather useful. There will be cases where your auto-titan does something **** like attack a nuke titan; so having this escape card helps avoid those situations. I also find it pairs with phase embark aesthetically; and you can use arc nade to stun targets and kill things with warp fall titan drops (since auto-titans die quickly, might as well exploit the warp-fall for some extra damage).

I find auto-titans a fun way of playing the game, but don't see many doing this because the AI is rather difficult to learn and exploit. The other think is you can jump on ally titans and shoot / use ordinance to help them out while your auto-titan follows them; which is fun, but I rarely see people playing this way either.
  • L453R-634M
    7 postsPosts: 10
    Fun as this playstyle may be, I wish more people would wise up and stop relying on autos in Frontier Defense, especially on War Games. Titans aren't complete **** but the damage they deal is worthless compared to the added effectiveness of having a pilot in the cockpit. At least switch positions every now and then instead of parking them by the harvester thinking they can hold off the three Scorches that could have been dealt with when they were a mile away.