Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Northstar 1v1 Combat

TheMightyM0
434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
So lately I've been having a difficult time dueling titans in Northstar, specifically Tone and Ion even at long range. I might be mistaken based on Ion's larger health pool, but it seems to me like the shoulder laser does more damage to Northstar than Northstar's railgun does back. But either way, lest I kick off a balance issues argument, I'm mainly looking for tips on dealing with enemy titans as Northstar. Specific tips and strategies for fighting each one would be awesome!

Comments

• RebleFox
    1 postsPosts: 1
    with NorthStar you want to abuse cover as much as you can as well as keeping them as far as possible, stay in cover then pop out to take a shot when your railgun is charged.

This does mean you need decent aiming and tracking skill since it's projectile, she's not meant to be played 1v1 shes more of a tag team titan, I recommend tone for the sonar and barrier, but is possible if you use cover as your bff and aim for the crit spot which is what the Ion been doing probably.

NEVER let them close the gap, once they do you're dead. Good luck ^^
  • cosmicturtle333
    3163 postsPosts: 3,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they do close the gap drop a tether, cluster missile at their feet and smoke them all at once while you continually snipe them and back away to the next cover behind you. They will take a tonne of damage and think twice about trying to rush again.

Northstar is one of the hardest titans to use because you need to have almost perfect map knowledge to perform well.
    Join the forum Discord server: https://discord.gg/SbneBat
  • xnarcosysx
    1963 postsPosts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Flank, flank, flank. I find too many people are out of sight out of mind players. Just leave them alone, come from a different path and hitb them from behind, drop a tether and cluster middle and rail gun. Then run away and hit from another angle.

Another technique I had used agsinst me. When you are doomed, and close enough, drop a tether and nuke eject.
  • AimyB0t
    60 postsPosts: 68
    Basically what people have said already.

Speed is key like Robin don't be afraid of getting out of dodge! You got great mobility use it, get to different angles and hit them a few times. Poke like crazy.

Learn to love cluster missiles! Try and drop them close to their feet or just behind them if they are a tone turtling with the wall/legion slowly marching to you.

I've posted this before but I'll post it again it's a lts match were I put flank and spank to the enemy team with pretty aggressive play not many 1v1 but the game plans similar :) just avoid getting caught by boxes xD http://plays.tv/s/L3889GJ6o8b5
  • PNellesen
    209 postsPosts: 210 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Northstar is one of the hardest titans to use because you need to have almost perfect map knowledge to perform well.
    It's definitely one of the hardest, but SOOO satisfying when you do well. And Railgun Goosers are the BEST Goosers, by far. I only have a few, but **** if I don't feel like a badass when I get one :-)

• PNellesen
    209 postsPosts: 210 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    (dupe. plz delete)
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    Northstar is my main. Getting close to my butterfly sabot nose paint!

Basically don't be afraid to shoot half charged or no charged shots at titans. Any damage is better than no damage! And people panic if you crit them. four uncharged shots do decent damage and lure opponents to you, half charge shots suggest to foes you're struggling and they try to rush you, full charged shots scare people away. No other titan can control enemy behaviour better, so when you fight on your terms you wreck everything!

Best advice is to use extra dodge and viper thrusters kits. Enhanced payload was op and still helps occasionally but viper thrusters make hover and flight core more usable. And since core is earned by damage you get it really quickly! Its just best to use it as a initiation or escape; don't think it will wreck things, it prepares thing to be wrecked!
  • ChromolyRex
    370 postsPosts: 374 ✭✭✭
    Best advice is to use extra dodge and viper thrusters kits.
    This. I was using Extra Payload before, but I've been more successful with Viper Thrusters -- especially since it now affects VTOL Hover as well as Flight Core. And Turbo Engine is good for getting in close for an execution (which I do as often as possible because her execution is cool) as well as getting away from an opponent you don't want to be close to.
    I'm just 11 levels away from completing the Viper look for my Northstar. Probably finish that today. I don't like the last two level-earned nose arts for her, but I like the Advocate Gift ones.
    Generations: Pilot G10.49/50 (capped), ARES Division G7, R-201 G5, MGL G13, Northstar G30.
  • TheMightyM0
    You guys are all awesome. Ironically, I haven't been able to jump on to try these things out yet, but I really appreciate all the advice.
  • Norhstar is my Titan as well. At range it is tough, although I feel it's rail gun loads a little slow and they nerfed its flight core. I think it stinks that they did this considering Northstar is not that tough. It is definitely better to fight along side a tank like Legion.
  • ChromolyRex
    Norhstar is my Titan as well. At range it is tough, although I feel it's rail gun loads a little slow and they nerfed its flight core. I think it stinks that they did this considering Northstar is not that tough. It is definitely better to fight along side a tank like Legion.
    I don't think they nerfed her core at all. I think they shortened the duration but increased the damage of each rocket to make it do as much damage in total as it did before. I've actually killed more titans with her core after the patch than before.
    Generations: Pilot G10.49/50 (capped), ARES Division G7, R-201 G5, MGL G13, Northstar G30.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    Thought it was same damage but faster ROF, but concur with your comment.
  • V3RN3TTI
    370 postsPosts: 393 ✭✭✭
    AimyB0t wrote: »
    Learn to love cluster missiles! Try and drop them close to their feet or just behind them if they are a tone turtling with the wall/legion slowly marching to you.

I play NS a lot and I have noticed other pilots don't take advantage of the cluster missile.

Anyway what you think of the threat scope, I can now land shots that were not possible before e.g. target in soft cover like trees and edges of titans behind cover
  • ChromolyRex
    edited December 2016
    I tried it for a couple of matches and immediately missed my Viper Thrusters. Love those things, and Threat Scope wasn't useful enough to overcome that.
    Might give it a try again just to make sure I gave it fair shake though.
  • Tubby_Client
    69 postsPosts: 74
    With Northstar, you want to use your tanky allies or buildings as cover. stand behind them to charge up you railgun and then come back out to fire. I like her with the 3 thruster upgrade (forget the name of the kit) so that I can come out, shoot, and come back in really fast without having to use my hover ability.
    Never fear, the Tubby is here
  • Ion's shoulder laser does indeed do more damage than a fully charged railgun(ill post link below), though not by a large amount(450 more damage). However keep in mind, laser shot depends on energy and can only be fired twice before Ion will have to recharge.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nxDADMLQfHCO6Z-hO0Dv5FJ1HSv7JsPEdcfQpoELRkg/edit#gid=1048751138

Navigate to the bottom and select "Titan weapons". Useful list, it shows the damage of all weapons against different targets, fire rate, range drop off, etc.
  • ThaLiveKingNBA
    143 postsPosts: 146 ✭✭
    I been using North Star for a while, it's pretty much my go to Titan, then scorch. I don't even touch other Titans. If you go into a 1V1 battle with North Star you have to think quick on what you want to do, that's why you have to set up each titan's arsenal so that it's useful for both close and long range combat styles
  • ThaLiveKingNBA
    143 postsPosts: 146 ✭✭
    V3RN3TTI wrote: »

I play NS a lot and I have noticed other pilots don't take advantage of the cluster missile.

Anyway what you think of the threat scope, I can now land shots that were not possible before e.g. target in soft cover like trees and edges of titans behind cover

I throw the cluster missiles any where sometimes, especially in Exo Planet, because people usually don't sit still in that level. That IMO is the best level for North Star
  • AimyB0t
    60 postsPosts: 68
    V3RN3TTI wrote: »

I'm not really fussed on to I've tried it a few times and I just felt naked without my enhanced payload xD
  • TheMightyM0
    Northstar on Exoplanet? I usually go with Scorch on that one, but I'll have to try her out on that one.
  • xnarcosysx
    1963 postsPosts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    PNellesen wrote: »
    It's definitely one of the hardest, but SOOO satisfying when you do well. And Railgun Goosers are the BEST Goosers, by far. I only have a few, but **** if I don't feel like a badass when I get one :-)

Scorch goosers are better lol
  • getmused
    1640 postsPosts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭
    Another great combo is northstar and scorch. I played with hurtmaker (scorch) and I used northstar. You can tether Titans while scorch melts em with sheild
  • ChromolyRex
    getmused wrote: »
    Another great combo is northstar and scorch. I played with hurtmaker (scorch) and I used northstar. You can tether Titans while scorch melts em with sheild
    Except that this is a 1v1 thread. There shouldn't be a second friendly titan involved.
  • TheMightyM0
    edited January 2017
    Accidental double post. Ignore this.