Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

"Lady and the Titan" callsign is sexist and a buzzkill

«1
ceylaMoon
0 postsPosts: 1
edited November 2016
Following the bug template:
  • Platform: I'm on XBox One. Bug probably affects all platforms.
  • Issue: "Lady and the Titan" callsign is sexist and makes the game significantly less fun for me.
  • Can you reproduce this issue 100% of the time: This issue made me stop playing after my first and only multiplayer game. So I don't know.
  • Details on how to reproduce the issue: See below.

Expanded Story:
I'm a female player and I loved playing Titanfall 1. I'd been looking forward to playing Titanfall 2 for a while, and yesterday the disk finally arrived. I popped it into my XBox One, got it installed, and played a little bit of Campaign mode because I wanted to make sure I knew the basics before diving into a multiplayer game.**

This evening I finally played my first multiplayer game: Attrition. In Titanfall 1 this was my favorite game mode. As expected, I was able to kill some grunts and I took down some Titans, but was still too unfamiliar with the game to be able to kill pilots. I died *a lot*, and this is where the problem showed up: Each time I died I usually had to look the butt cheeks of the half-naked woman in this picture:
kv519cv8f4we.jpg
(I grabbed the image from this site. I uploaded the image separately in case the image disappears from the original site.)

My reactions to this picture:
  • Why in the world would the makers of Titanfall 2 add such a sexist image as an option for a callsign? This is *so* unnecessary and predictably will make a bunch of players uncomfortable. Maybe the makers didn't realize how frequently this image will pop up in-game and figured that only the player who chooses to sport this image will see it. That's about the best excuse I can come up with.
  • Grrrr. The player who just killed me thought this sexist image would be super cool. I'm playing against a sexist jerk. Who wants to play against sexist jerks? I don't.
  • Makers of Titanfall 2, why did you think it would be a good idea to empower sexist jerks to show off just how much of a sexist jerk they are?!??
  • Maybe the makers of Titanfall 2 thought "Hmmm... Some of our players will want to express themselves that way. Let's let them use an image that seems harmless enough and still lets them express themselves that way. Hopefully that's a happy middle ground." To which I can only say: "Why would you cater to sexist jerks? Clearly that image was unnecessary for Titanfall 1. So you've already proven that you don't need to cater to sexist jerks in order to have a successful game."
  • I had this problem during my very first multiplayer game. I'm likely to encounter this problem *a lot*. Because there are a lot of sexist jerks and/or immature people out there. *stops playing Titanfall 2 after the first game ends*

I had this experience hours ago at this point, and I'm still upset. I switched to playing Titanfall 1 instead, but playing Titanfall 1 is less fun now too. Because a bunch of the people who worked on Titanfall 1 also worked on Titanfall 2. I've lost a considerable amount of respect for them.

It's 2016. You should know better. Inclusive design is important. The objectification of women is a major problem and is definitely not ok.

And in case you're still convinced that the image is harmless, maybe reading this humorous and related blog post will open your eyes.

My suggestion: Please remove this completely unnecessary, sexist callsign from the game.


**Side note: Feedback on the Campaign mode:
  1. Why is there no top-level menu item for the tutorial like in Titanfall 1, without all the Campaign story items that slow down your learning if all you want is to learn basic skills? The undiluted tutorial in Titanfall 1 was super handy. I had to poke around the Titanfall 2 menu quite a bit before I decided that I would try Campaign mode just in case it did have a tutorial... The actual tutorial part of Titanfall 2 did seem a lot more enjoyable than the tutorial in Titanfall 1. So thank you for that. :)
  2. Why can I only play a dude in campaign mode? Hearing a male voice come out of "my" mouth and being called a dude's name repeatedly killed most of the game immersion for me... Just when I forgot that I was playing a male character I would end up saying something with a male voice, and I could no longer pretend that *I* was doing those things. Some strange dude was actually having this adventure. I felt disconnected from the game.

Comments

  • Cloud_W_Omega
    16 postsPosts: 17
    feminist alert
  • Oh boy. Why don't you just woman up? You don't see men complaining about characters like Marcus Fenix from the Gears of War series, so why should fragile people like yourself be pandered to?

    It's their game and you have no right to tell them what to do with it. Also, you should revisit the dictionary and have a look at the word 'sexism/sexist'.
  • Andxrss
    37 postsPosts: 45
    edited November 2016
    For one, you're not reporting a bug and you need to look up the the definition of sexism. I don't see why you're complaining. If you don't like it, leave. Look at Master Chief, Marcus Fenix and James Bond: do you see anyone complaining? I haven't seen any gamer complain about the sterotypical artwork of men, and quite frankly I don't think there will be. There's nothing wrong with the photo, nor is it a misrepresentation of any female out there. There are millions of photos of nude female models out there, but you're complaining about a clothed female in artwork for a game... You shouldn't be complaining. In fact, your complaint is insane. Now you're complaining about the story revolving around a man? Get out of here.

    Let's make some examples about how insane your complaints are, shall we:

    Example 1
    Titanfall_2_Callsign_Real_Frontier_Hero.jpg?version=1f29f6475086af13d03a4aab51058cb4
    I'm never playing a Respawn game again. How could you do this to men all over the world? Not all men have these huge muscles and giant tattoos. There are many skinny men in the world, and you need to show them some respect. You made this photo 10x worse when you added a gun. For crying out loud, not all men use and carry guns. This objectification is not okay, and you need to fix this so men all over the world can feel comfortable.

    Example 2
    Titanfall_2_Callsign_Apex_Predator.jpg?version=21e37abed6e1f4b31f2a75473c0aa537
    You're sick Respawn. You're absolutely sick. Why are you depicting all men as savages? There are many respectful, and sanitary men out there and you're insulting them. You think all men carry knives and make a murderous pose with them? You should not be objectifying men like this in 2016. You're employees need to start going out more and look at real men, not barbaric savages.

    I don't see any sanity in both of my examples, nor do I see it in your complaints.
  • DLG2011
    49 postsPosts: 55
    Sorry I love these banners they're my favorite ones, I'm sorry your offended by them but I hope they keep them
  • War_MachineXL
    246 postsPosts: 269 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    I personally don't see a problem with it. It adds to the feel of my 6-4 mercenary. There's also quite a few of them I got that one in Prism. There's also a few girls on the titans face paints. If it was sexist it would of been a model in a micro bikini showing a lot more skin with huge breasts.

    As for the campaign that's just how it was designed. Adding in a female voice and character is for serious rpg games where the player base is a lot more varied. Sure it would of been cool but when a game has a story to tell it's best to just go with it like watching a movie.

    Plus a girl in a bikini bottom is a lot better then **** and **** pics in other games like Battlefield and CoD.

  • TheKillerAngel
    1 postsPosts: 1
    edited November 2016
    The banners in question are a homage to pin up art that frequently decorated the noses of fighter jets and bombers in the past.
  • Sounds like someone accidentally found the door to their safe space.

  • Cerrenade
    1 postsPosts: 1
    edited November 2016
    I searched the internet in hopes of someone agreeing with me. You can't say this isn't made specifically pandered to the male gaze. Sure, there were pin-up styles in the 40's but that's no reason to place them into this game. It's honestly annoying as a female playing this game and repeatedly being shown half-naked women laying on top of titans upon dying. You argue there are "sexist" images of men in games but they pale in comparison to female examples - and this goes for an innumerable amount of other titles. It get's tiring when it's the same theme of scantily dressed women in games, solely for the purpose of being eye-candy.

    Do I automatically think the players who use these images are sexist? No. But I personally don't care for the use of them whatsoever. If there was a way to stop specific banners from being shown then I would be happy because it's just distasteful in my opinion.
    Andxrss wrote: »
    If you don't like it, leave. Look at Master Chief, Marcus Fenix and James Bond: do you see anyone complaining? I haven't seen any gamer complain about the sterotypical artwork of men, and quite frankly I don't think there will be. There's nothing wrong with the photo, nor is it a misrepresentation of any female out there. There are millions of photos of nude female models out there, but you're complaining about a clothed female in artwork for a game... You shouldn't be complaining. In fact, your complaint is insane.

    Is it impossible for anyone to have a differing view from yours? Someone brings up a topic that bothers them, and you simply reply, "If you don't like it, leave." So with your logic, if anyone has any issues with anything ever they should just leave: that really solves the issue. You don't often see "any gamer complain about the sterotypical artwork of men" because the gaming population where these male-pandered images exist are in a highly male-dominated-ratio games such as shooters and RPGs.
    Andxrss wrote: »
    There's nothing wrong with the photo, nor is it a misrepresentation of any female out there. There are millions of photos of nude female models out there, but you're complaining about a clothed female in artwork for a game... You shouldn't be complaining. In fact, your complaint is insane.

    Yes, it is so insane for us women to feel a little awkward and uncomfortable when we are constantly being shown a half-naked women on a titan for practically no reason other than to look pretty. While it isn't a misrepresentation of what some women choose to do with their life - like posing promiscuously next to vehicles - it's no reason to be in this game and shown off to other players. We don't have to be around those "nude women" you mentioned above, but when we are playing a video game - because playing video games are in our interests - it's blatantly there on the screen and you can't just ignore it.

    As for your examples, they are in a completely different context than the one OP is referring to.
    Andxrss wrote: »
    I'm never playing a Respawn game again. How could you do this to men all over the world? Not all men have these huge muscles and giant tattoos. There are many skinny men in the world, and you need to show them some respect. You made this photo 10x worse when you added a gun. For crying out loud, not all men use and carry guns. This objectification is not okay, and you need to fix this so men all over the world can feel comfortable.

    You're arguing that not all men are muscular and have giant tattoos. In OP's argument, were talking simply about a girl posing on a titan - what is the relation between the two? She's not saying that the girl is too skinny or her hair is a certain color. It has nothing to do with her attributes as it does with the purpose of the lack of clothing and her body position. Shall I even mention your ridiculous addition of why there was a gun?
    Andxrss wrote: »
    You're sick Respawn. You're absolutely sick. Why are you depicting all men as savages? There are many respectful, and sanitary men out there and you're insulting them. You think all men carry knives and make a murderous pose with them? You should not be objectifying men like this in 2016. You're employees need to start going out more and look at real men, not barbaric savages.

    I don't see any sanity in both of my examples, nor do I see it in your complaints.

    Again, She never said anything about all women in the game being portrayed as the girl in question. While I can't sympathize with "losing immersion" for playing a male main character, I can sympathize with the mere out-of-context images of women appearing in this game.

    Why is there a male posing with a gun, knife, and badassery? Because it's a shooter and people like the feeling of versing others in PVP and getting cool melee action with that knife, etc. Why is there a female posing on a titan with her butt-cheeks hanging out? Because it's sexy? Where's the point.



  • Regardless of OP's message*, the other commentators who are saying Master Chief and Marcus from GOW are sex objects for females are wrong and dishonest.

    Marcus is meant to appeal to us guys as a rocking badass. There is nothing that would be considered sexy about him by women. Makes sense since GOW is targeted for us guys, so there is 0 reason as to why devs would waste time trying to cater to female sex tastes. I know I wouldn't. Granted there is sexy fan art of him, but that's fan art.

    Actually Marcus could be sexy in the bara genre of anime which is about gruff guys, but that's targeted to GAY MEN. hahaha

    Master chief is a worse offender because he's armored 24/7. Shame.

    If you want actual sexy male characters for females, Raiden from MGS is a good example.

    *(which I kinda disagree with, but can see where she's coming from 100%. It's obvious fan service, but I have one myself and appreciate the look of actual female pilots)
  • SEWAJ
    1 postsPosts: 2
    So, anyone know how to unlock this Call sign?
  • I thought of the depiction of women on titans and banners as kind of a homage to classic warfare. In WW2, Vietnam, and the wars in Afghanistan/Iraq, the US constantly painted women on their tanks and aircrafts among other things. Also, most of them are drawn in a 1940s/50s/60s style to make them look more classic.
  • I have the killing with style banner, you should try that, and i should try Lady and the Titan. KWS is my new favorite
  • HoodedCake
    1 postsPosts: 1
    I don't personally think that it's sexist; there are other banners that feature beefy dudes with their rock hard abs exposed. And the part about only being able to play as a guy in the campaign: you're playing the role of some military dude with a badass mech, there isn't much to it. It'd be nice if they added some customization, like in the cod bo3 campaign, but I don't think it's that big of a deal. I sound and look nothing like him, but I don't mind.
  • ChromolyRex
    370 postsPosts: 374 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    OP needs to read this: Titanfall 2's campaign could have had a female character
    That banner, and the other pinup style banners, aren't going to disappear from the game, or that site.
    Go into Video Settings, HUD Options, and turn Callsign Events off. You'll never have to see any of them again. If that's not enough for you, try to get a refund.
    Generations: Pilot G10.49/50 (capped), ARES Division G7, R-201 G5, MGL G13, Northstar G30.
  • thehottuna
    1 postsPosts: 1
    it's obviously an homage to classic aircraft pinups. Get over it, women are enjoyable to look at.
  • Whoever tf made this do the world a favor and shut the **** up
  • Pls everyone put that banner on now
  • Cerrenade wrote: »
    Because it's sexy? Where's the point.

    You just answered your own question. Are you going to try to argue that the driving force that put all of us here in the first place (nature) needs to check its privilege too? lel.
  • ProjectBangarang
    3770 postsPosts: 4,041 ✭✭✭✭✭
    flat,1000x1000,075,f.u5.jpg
    "Gentlemen, I'm afraid I have decided to cancel the war. Kill them. Kill them all." - JAS. Hook, Captain
  • JP20Boss
    4 postsPosts: 6
    So, I'm inclined to believe this is a troll post, but in case it isnt...
    ceylaMoon wrote: »

    Why can I only play a dude in campaign mode? Hearing a male voice come out of "my" mouth and being called a dude's name repeatedly killed most of the game immersion for me... Just when I forgot that I was playing a male character I would end up saying something with a male voice, and I could no longer pretend that *I* was doing those things. Some strange dude was actually having this adventure. I felt disconnected from the game.

    Why can I only play as a female in Rise of the Tomb Raider? Hearing a female voice coming out of "my" character and being referred to by a woman's name kills the game for me, honestly. Just when I was getting into the game, the girl would end up saying something and I could no longer pretend that the character was really mine or that I was controlling it. This girl really made me feel disconnected from the game. Shame on Square Enix for not allowing me to play as "Luke" Croft. Honestly, it's 2016 and game should be more inclusive. /s

    Do you realize how silly you sound?


  • P0T4T0_AIM
    1 postsPosts: 1
    You disgusting, stuck-up and naggy people are the reason why we can't have good things because you protest and riot every time something has a women in it that is a little bit sexual. If we see a half-naked man advertising something, us men don't give a ****. But if there is a half-naked woman advertising something, your rotten people get all stuck-up about it and get it removed, and ruin it for everyone else.
  • joshdrole
    1 postsPosts: 1
    Great, now look at the ravage and on the front banners. Same, but with men. I'm not triggered to see those picture. Just amused.
  • Are you **** serious ahahahaha
    This has to be a joke
  • Get out of my game you feminist pigs
  • ..... really this matters to you..... wow, just so unnecessary to even write that long,long discussion about such a small part of a great game and yes that callsign is wizard. Just so ******* ****
  • Ok, Ms. Sarkeesian. You can go back to camping with your Devotion and A-Wall now
  • As someone who is really into history and art, I was actually really glad to see Titanfall go the route of pinup models from the 40s. This is a lost artform, and pays homeage to a very real part of American History. I actually did a google search to see if I could buy some of this art and instead found this thread.

    As a woman, I can see if this type of artwork makes you uncomfortable if you didn't know the reference, but this isn't about sexualizing women. This is about history and art. Your point about how women in videogames. comics, and Anime are over sexualized is very valid. But you take away from your point by going after a historical art form and deeming it retroactively sexist. By your logic, we should destroy all the ancient sculptures and paintings from Italy that depicted naked women. We should smash ancient semetic idols of women that overendowed breasts and ****, and the list goes on. As someone who tries very hard to support femenism, posts like these make me lose hope in the movement. Please reconsider your stance and weigh the situation for what it is, and not what you want it to be.
  • Feminists always find issues with games that aren't sexist. There are six factions half of the leaders are women, You can play as either a man or a woman. It's a neutral as you can get. And here you are, claiming that an image is sexist because of a woman in a bikini. It's almost like you haven't looked at the images of males that there are. They set unhealthy standards. But **** men women are the only ones who can get oversexualised. Just uninstall titanfall 2 and go play something else.
  • What's the matter, you retarded fat monkey? Do you envy that pixel girl for the body you wish you had? You are pathetic, cut your internet wire please.
  • Blastkraken
    1 postsPosts: 1
    hello i hope you understand that this does not fit into the deffinitoin of sexist but i do understand where you are coming from but as many other commenters of pointed out there are simular things like the lad and the titan call sign but for men, therefor my only problem with this article is that you play on xbox
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!