Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

[updated]90% of MP games are unplayable due to lag spikes/freezes/rubberbanding - lag depends on TOD

DrBlubbinger
13 postsPosts: 15
edited November 2016
update: see post #5 - the lag depends on the time of day

I'm another guy with these lag problems.

Platform: PC
Issue: extreme lag spikes/freezes/rubberbanding in virtually all MP matches [SP is 100% perfect]
Can you reproduce this issue 100% of times: No (only 90% of matches, 10% are fine)
Details on how to reproduce the issue: Ok, here we go...
Click multiplayer in main menu.
Search for a game.
90% of times, the multiplayer menu itself will freeze (sound is ok though) for up to 5 seconds, often more than once, in the time before a game is found. It behaves just like it is a networked "game" and that game lags.
90% of games I join, I get semi-regular, seconds long lag spikes (sound keeps going normally, I can move, but the rest of the game is frozen) and then rubberbanding back to an old position. This is just like lag spikes in any online MP game, just much more extreme. The freezes are semi-regular, maybe every 20 seconds (but not predictable), and their length seems to depend on the current match. Sometimes I feel like they are related to big battles I hear in the distance, but they are there from the very start of the match.
All inputs (space to respawn etc) are delayed until the lag spike is over.
The TAB player list shows a ping spike to up to 2000ms (usually something like 500ms, but the freeze itself is much longer) immediately before and during the lag spike (well, since the list freezes too, nothing much to see here after the start of the spike).
When I get killed during these freezes, the killcam shows the enemy shooting me, fixed in place, with the running animation playing.
---> The issue seems to be game/match based: if a match does not lag, it will be perfectly fine. The next match might be fine, or incredibly laggy. And so on. Currently, 90% of games are laggy. <---

I've had an evening of perfect (and fun!) games yesterday, I've had an hour of trying to find a single playable match and failing today.

Region: EU/Germany (usually Belgium or Amsterdam data center, ca. 60ms ping)
ISP: Vodafone Germany
Connection Speed: 1,96 Mbps down, 0,35 Mbps up via speedtest.net

CPU: Intel i5 4690
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070 8GB
Memory: 16 GB DDR3 1600
Operating System: latest Windows 10

Things I've tried that don't help:
Changing various graphics settings, especially textures
Changing the data center by clicking on it in the main menu, I've tried various data centers
Rebooting all network hardware, my PC, etc.

Why I don't think the problem is with me:
Windows taskmanager and resource monitor do not show any RAM problems, and the only network activity is by TF2 and (rarely) Origin.
Issue is match based, some games are fine, some immediately preceding or succeeding are unplayable. If a match works, it works. If there's lag, the entire match will be laggy.

---

I hope you can fix this soon, I really believe it's server related. Maybe a performance issue? Thanks.

Comments

• Baqqfisch
    15 postsPosts: 16
    Connection Speed: 1,96 Mbps down, 0,35 Mbps looks like your provider got some issues. 1,96 Mbps down is really low. Also check if you have package loss.
  • DrBlubbinger
    edited November 2016
    It's a regular **** 2 Mbit connection, so it's above the system requirements I think. I will try the packet loss thing, but some matches are fine, I don't think my ISP synchronizes with the current match. Thanks for the idea.

edit: I can't produce any packet loss, my connection seems to be fine.
  • MASTERX1234
    68 postsPosts: 77
    ive also pinged the game server and found a 0% packet loss on 5 different consecutive tests. So maybe its not the servers?
  • DrBlubbinger
    edited November 2016
    Ok, here's an update: this issue seems to be time of day related. It's been like this the last 2 days.

before noon: all games work pretty much perfectly, no lag
    early afternoon to evening: all games lag extremely heavily
    late evening: still lag, but much less, more like normal lag spikes in any game (still unplayable though)
    night (like 3AM): all games work perfectly, no lag

• eQuaZ0r
    9 postsPosts: 9
    UK ISP ? In a similar thread of similar issues I've posted in I'm starting to wonder if it relates to a UK ISP performing some kind of traffic management and mistakenly thinking the peer to peer communications (if that's what TF2 uses) are being mistaken for other p2p traffic - just an opinion tho, take with a grain of salt! I've gone as far as logging an issue with my ISP to get them to look. No other issues anywhere else.
  • Hesgad
    19 postsPosts: 21
    eQuaZ0r wrote: »
    UK ISP ? In a similar thread of similar issues I've posted in I'm starting to wonder if it relates to a UK ISP performing some kind of traffic management and mistakenly thinking the peer to peer communications (if that's what TF2 uses) are being mistaken for other p2p traffic - just an opinion tho, take with a grain of salt! I've gone as far as logging an issue with my ISP to get them to look. No other issues anywhere else.

Nah same problem happens all over the world..got that issue in germany but unsure if its TOD related at all
  • DrBlubbinger
    edited November 2016
    Could be just higher number of players on the data centers during peak hours, or something in any way related to the time. Or it's just coincidence with the TOD.
    My guess is some data center issue, but who knows :-)

I suspected my ISP too, but yesterday I've had rare good games during the "lag times" so I'm not sure that can be it.

edit: just played a few games - laggy, good, good, good became laggy, laggy - 5-6 PM here :-)