Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

ERROR: Connection to Server timed out!

Comments

• IronicCodeine
    10 postsPosts: 10
    killinV wrote: »
    If the problem is the router getting flooded by UDP packets, wouldn't a direct conection from Modem to PC/XBX1/PS4 work?

Well, yeah, probably. But I can't just hardwire my modem to my ps4. They are on separate floors, and my house isn't wired to allow me to move either easily. Nor do I have a 120' ethernet cable to run along two floors and a set of stairs...
  • cobrarsnake1
    12 postsPosts: 12
    Using a hardline doesn't help and respawn doesn't care either since they didn't sale enough copies of game. Only 23426 player online right now. Wish I could get my money back for the broken game. Respawn customer support is worse then Bungie's.
  • Minighost244
    edited November 2016
    An easyish solution would be to either A ) greatly limit the ports asked for or B ) add a "Throttled" network mode to the settings that lets you choose the one and only port the game will use. I know Warframe does something like that, but I have no idea how easy it is to implement

So like... how do I limit the number of ports Respawn has access too? I play Warframe occasionally and UDP floods never happen (if not that, then rarely).
    I also noticed: when you get a UDP flood, reconnect to the private server and begin searching, 90% of the time it'll reconnect you back to the original multiplayer server you timed out from. From that point on, you'll be able to play normally (cause you've been AFK for what... 60 seconds? [citation needed]).
    However, no matter short I've been away from the game, it's a huge hassle to have to sit there and be like "I wonder if it'll just goddamn connect like normal this time." Then, you get a black screen that says "ERROR: Connection to server timed out."

Someone, please, tell me how to limit port usage.

EDIT: Just realized port limitation might not be possible, how can I control the number of UDP packets coming in?
  • Jacket785
    157 postsPosts: 162 ✭✭
    Assassio wrote: »
    I'm not buying a new top notch expensive modem to fix what is an Respawn problem. All my other games work but this one, I'm disabled and not made of money.

The one I have now wasn't cheap, it's a proper gaming one. Taking the risk in buying a new one in the vague hopes it MIGHT fix it is ****.

Screw that.

Yes I'm frustrated lol, rant at Respawn over.

First off, I said router, not modem. Secondly, it's a possible fix. Meaning that just because it worked for me, doesn't mean it will work for everyone else. I also said, I'd update the list with other possible solutions. Yes, this is quite clearly a Respawn issue, and believe me when I say this. I've tried contacting them multiple ways whether it'd be through social media or email. I've tried tweeting other people that are well known for bringing up issues when it comes to this, but no response. So instead of complaining about it or creating another thread to complain about it, why don't we work together and try to find the issue. We already know that the issue is with the router. I will be adding the solutions that IronicCodeine recently mentioned on to the list of possible fixes and someone even mentioned using their phone as a hotspot and that working for them.
    "My expectations are usually low, so that I'm not disappointed"

• Assassio
    17 postsPosts: 19
    I meant router* not modem.

Plus I can't fiddle around with it yet until the 10th when my Pro gets here.
  • Just found a temporary solution:
    Go to your router setting and put your PC/console in DMZ and it should work.
  • eQuaZ0r
    9 postsPosts: 9
    Just found a temporary solution:

I've tried this and unfortunately didn't work either - albeit seemed to for one game.

I have my own temporary solution that does work however - whenever I want to play before I load titanfall I login to my router and restart it (pulling the cable would obviously also work but it's in another room).

Launch Tf2 and as soon as connection is back (can see from my smartphone etc) I wait for it to connect to Data Center and go ahead and match make - can join, and re-join/re-play without any issues - several games no problems, I've not played for hours at a time so can't comment if it degrades while still in game yet - but if I quit after a few matches - even if I go straight back into game i'm back with a connection issue until I restart the router again.
    For info it's a cheap and free from ISP Thomson TG589vac - (Fibre from SSE uk 70d/20u, 10ms ping to london datacenter).
    But cheap and free aside it works absolutely fine with everything else including current and busy multiplayer games even if wife is streaming something elsewhere etc - so while the problem is somehow associated with it, I don't think the solution should be for me to reboot or replace it.

Respawn take note - the above information MIGHT help with troubleshooting what's going on. I'd happily provide a wireshark trace if anyone wanted it - but comments about UDP floods and other issues earlier in thread seem to have some resonance here - one of the things I notice is a stuck UDP UPnP mapping after running titanfall, doesn't clear on it's own without a router restart so wondering if that's associated.

Hopefully someone from Respawn reads and responds to one of these threads or at least acknowledges they are looking at it - I'm worried it's been ignored and a simple confirmation that it's being investigated would definitely quell that.
  • eQuaZ0r wrote: »
    Just found a temporary solution:

I've tried this and unfortunately didn't work either - albeit seemed to for one game.

I have my own temporary solution that does work however - whenever I want to play before I load titanfall I login to my router and restart it (pulling the cable would obviously also work but it's in another room).

Launch Tf2 and as soon as connection is back (can see from my smartphone etc) I wait for it to connect to Data Center and go ahead and match make - can join, and re-join/re-play without any issues - several games no problems, I've not played for hours at a time so can't comment if it degrades while still in game yet - but if I quit after a few matches - even if I go straight back into game i'm back with a connection issue until I restart the router again.
    For info it's a cheap and free from ISP Thomson TG589vac - (Fibre from SSE uk 70d/20u, 10ms ping to london datacenter).
    But cheap and free aside it works absolutely fine with everything else including current and busy multiplayer games even if wife is streaming something elsewhere etc - so while the problem is somehow associated with it, I don't think the solution should be for me to reboot or replace it.

Respawn take note - the above information MIGHT help with troubleshooting what's going on. I'd happily provide a wireshark trace if anyone wanted it - but comments about UDP floods and other issues earlier in thread seem to have some resonance here - one of the things I notice is a stuck UDP UPnP mapping after running titanfall, doesn't clear on it's own without a router restart so wondering if that's associated.

Hopefully someone from Respawn reads and responds to one of these threads or at least acknowledges they are looking at it - I'm worried it's been ignored and a simple confirmation that it's being investigated would definitely quell that.

I posted earlier and having the same issue. This is also the router and ISP package I'm on too. I did find restarting the router allowed a few games to be played but the issue soon returns. Especially worse in evening time. Strange that only Titanfall 2 causes issues, any other game on either PC or Xbox One is absolutely fine.
  • azprodigy
    31 postsPosts: 31
    Is everyone on here using a Belkin router like I am? I think it might have to do with Belkin routers. Anyone using anything different?
  • Minighost244
    azprodigy wrote: »
    Is everyone on here using a Belkin router like I am? I think it might have to do with Belkin routers. Anyone using anything different?

Using a Netgear router. Still have the same problem :/ maybe having multiple devices on the router causes the flood?
  • I honestly think their servers are to blame. I only get this problem during peak time, I have a wired connection with 74mbps download speed.
  • Brizzy0518
    7 postsPosts: 7
    Okay guys I think the router might be the problem. Per the other people on this thread who hardwired their ps4 straight to their modems, I tried it and it totally works. I have a belkin n600 router and most likely can't handle the data being received. I'm going to buy a ac1200 or something similar to see if a better router will work. Because even though I can play i don't want to always hardire my ps4 to my modem every time I wanna play TF2 MP.
  • ZollernWolf
    2 postsPosts: 2
    edited November 2016
    Bought the disk myself on PS4. First night of playing it I kept getting kicked from multiplayer with no warning, usually when I was doing really well. Got the error "Failed to connect to server!" and lost all my points I had that round. Next day, I didn't have those issues, and hadn't since, until tonight. Now I get the same thing happening to me, but with a different error: "Out of sync with server!" I tried changing the data server, didn't work either. This needs to be fixed. :/
  • azprodigy
    Buy a new router because Respawn sold you a broken game? Im sure your router does just fine on any other game. Sounds ridiculous. Sorry if thats rude but I'm just **** off. BTW I have that same router!!
  • Has anyone got any info on bypasing the (at least with belkin routers) security feature that disconnets when the pirts are flooded with data? I was thinking assigning the ps4 a unique ip and dnz-ing it? Would this help allievate udp flooding?
  • azprodigy
    edited November 2016
    Has anyone got any info on bypasing the (at least with belkin routers) security feature that disconnets when the pirts are flooded with data? I was thinking assigning the ps4 a unique ip and dnz-ing it? Would this help allievate udp flooding?
    Just did this and it worked for two games. Back to getting kicked

• IronicCodeine
    For my model of router at least, putting it in the dmz does nothing. The "kick" is caused by the router thinking you're being DoS'd, which the DMZ doesn't help. All the DMZ does is allow your device easier communication.

As far as choosing what ports the game uses, we as users can't. Respawn doesn't give us that ability. We essentially have to wait for them to patch the problem.
  • azprodigy
    Looks like we will be purchasing new routers or not playing this game. Doesn't look like Respawn is doing much.
  • cobrarsnake1
    12 postsPosts: 12
    Don't purchase a new router. It won't help, I've tired.
  • Brizzy0518
    7 postsPosts: 7

which kind of router did you get?
  • IronicCodeine

Why didn't a new router help? What one did you have before, and what one did you buy?
  • ru_pRosta
    11 postsPosts: 12
    10 hours ago, I played and had well known problem with game ping. Now I can connect to the lobby (tried Frankfurt 1\2, Hong-Kong), I can see players in "Advanced network". But when I try to find a game, it says that there is zero players in the game. I Tried different types of games and the result is the same. I suppose there is a problem. Am I lonely in this ? :)
  • eQuaZ0r
    So I've actually manager to get an almost new fairly high-end netgear D7800 X4s off a friend very cheap - surplus to his requirements - I'm going to configure it later and see how it goes - it's handy for me anyway as it means I can move away from my current VDSL router (Technicolor TG589vac and BT Home Hub 5 combination) (Homehub has much better wifi so is currently bridged - but had tried without so issue likely with Technicolor/ISP's relation to game problems).

I'll post an update once it's settled in and I've tested a bit to see if it improves - I wouldn't have got one if it were not for the bargain I was offered - and if this works as a fix Respawn definitely need to fix their game as they cannot expect people to buy routers to play it!
  • ERORR:
    I. 1) fog in sight; 2) very rapid movement of pilots; 3) maps do not change; 4) ping before the game - 38, in the game - 86 (unstable).
    II. Why is there no servers in Poland, Latvia, Lithuania, Ukraine. Why are all the servers in a heap - Belgium, Germany, Holland, where Eastern Europe?
    But thanks for the game! Game good!
  • XDMONEYXX
    1 postsPosts: 1
    I am also getting this same error but in a different capacity. I only fail to connect to servers when my roommate and I try to play together. It works for one game then it will fail every time we try to play together for the rest of the night. We can play separately at the same time, the problem only appears when we try to party up. We also have Google Fiber (GB) internet, which is the fastest you can get.
  • Pencader
    1 postsPosts: 1
    Been following this today because it started to happen with me at about 16:00 pm GMT. No issue on T1 doing the trial on Origin and pre patch for T2 other games fine and the usual download/upload rates on my fiber 72mbs line.

I had an issue with Avast and the Web shield causing lag so that gets turned off every time along with silent gaming turned on however a windows update re enabled the built in windows firewall and nearly everything was coming up with do you want to allow.

So i turned this off and just for giggles tried wired to my BThub 5 and WiFi with my Netgear dongle.

Worked perfectly 16 ms wired 19ms WiFi.

I have tried a few matches and all seems good, I will report back if anything changes for now i am lag free and loving the game.
  • eQuaZ0r
    Well good news - Netgear D7800 X4S has resolved my issue - no problems whatsoever now - and my in game ping is 30ms instead of 50ms when i had a good game before - router has improved all sorts about my internet conneciton in general - however the game clearly has issues with UDP/UPNP or similar that was interacting badly with my old router - no other games have had this so the game needs to be fixed. Wish respawn would comment.
  • Shiny_Daemons
    12 postsPosts: 13
    As a part time IT support technician (while studying for my degree in network security) I am pretty sure my connection to the internet as a whole is just fine.

That being said, as of this afternoon (08-Nov-16 approximately 5pm GMT) Titanfall 2 is impossible to play.

IF I get into a game, I can play for a minute or less before I'm disconnected, however 9/10 attempts to play result in "Connection to Server timed out" ...

I have tried restarting my router, I have turned off Windows Defender, I am connected via ethernet... Yesterday and Sunday this same connection and hardware was getting consistent pings of 10-30 ms ... today the game is literally unplayable. Given that the gaming public have been **** and not all bought this game I can't see it being the servers being overloaded with traffic.

I'm on PC, have a system capable of running the game very smoothly (GTX 980ti, 16GB of RAM, 3770K CPU) ... but am unable to enjoy the game :(
  • houndzero
    5 postsPosts: 7
    (08-Nov-16 approximately 5pm GMT) :(

Yep exactly the same with me, before 5pm it works fine but after, its just constant disconnect throughout the night, it sucks because i work 8 till 5 so only have the weekend to really play.
  • azprodigy
    eQuaZ0r wrote: »
    Well good news - Netgear D7800 X4S has resolved my issue - no problems whatsoever now - and my in game ping is 30ms instead of 50ms when i had a good game before - router has improved all sorts about my internet conneciton in general - however the game clearly has issues with UDP/UPNP or similar that was interacting badly with my old router - no other games have had this so the game needs to be fixed. Wish respawn would comment.
    What system are you on? What router did you have before you made this change? How many games have you consistently played?