Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Audio Crackling and Popping

Comments

• Hi all,

Actually i've same issue, crakling sound, could you please tell me witch solution is the better one ? does an update is forecast ?

Thank
  • Appo_v
    2 postsPosts: 2
    edited December 2016
    Ok, so I have the same issue as all of you folks, and my gawd is it annoying.
    It happens during high CPU load times only.
    This is because your CPU is processing lots of individual sound profiles/files because you downloaded all of them so its not your GPU processing them because your CPU processes files (This is my understanding and It could be very incorrect). This is also the reason for the massive download size (50GB almost).

I have 3 suggested fixes

1. because this is caused by high CPU load, get a better CPU (If anyone has tried this then tell us the results as I'm genuinely considering this option for myself)
    2. CLEAN OUT YOUR PC, add more thermal paste for your CPU, and also try to increase airflow through your PC.
    3. try setting Titanfall 2's priority to high when you run the game. This can be done manually every time you launch Titanfall 2 or you can install some software to make the change permanent.

Software to change Titanfall 2's priority can be found here: http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/27/windows-10/permanently-set-priority-level-process-windows-10.html

I hope this helped you to fix your problems, if these solutions did help then maybe click that "Insightful" or "Awesome" box below :tongue:

Edit: Proofreading
  • Appo_v wrote: »
    Ok, so I have the same issue as all of you folks, and my gawd is it annoying.
    It happens during high CPU load times only.
    This is because your CPU is processing lots of individual sound profiles/files because you downloaded all of them so its not your GPU processing them because your CPU processes files (This is my understanding and It could be very incorrect). This is also the reason for the massive download size (50GB almost).

I have 3 suggested fixes

1. because this is caused by high CPU load, get a better CPU (If anyone has tried this then tell us the results as I'm genuinely considering this option for myself)
    2. CLEAN OUT YOUR PC, add more thermal paste for your CPU, and also try to increase airflow through your PC.
    3. try setting Titanfall 2's priority to high when you run the game. This can be done manually every time you launch Titanfall 2 or you can install some software to make the change permanent.

Software to change Titanfall 2's priority can be found here: http://www.ilovefreesoftware.com/27/windows-10/permanently-set-priority-level-process-windows-10.html

I hope this helped you to fix your problems, if these solutions did help then maybe click that "Insightful" or "Awesome" box below :tongue:

Edit: Proofreading

i have upgraded my cpu from an amd fx-4100 to a intel i5-4690k and i have had no more audio stuttering issues.
    I would recommend to everyone that has the money to invest in a better cpu at least until respawn finds a way to create more load on the gpu and less on the cpu.

I also tried setting it to high priority before and that fixed the audio issue but then it created mouse lag issues and such i only just got a chance to get back to respond to this thread but thank you very much for your input.
  • KDeimos89
    21 postsPosts: 22
    edited December 2016
    My lil' i5 6600 non-k never gets hotter than 47°C, so no worries for CPU overheating. All 4 cores run at an average of 75%-80% load, after about 8 minutes in Attrition, when lotsa stuff happends on the map. No bottlenecking, no nothing.

It's the only game in multiplayer that does that. I played some Battlefield 4 lately on the map "Operation Metro 2014", full server, 64 players in a very close range aka clusterf*ck. And guess what? No sound issues. Every shot fired, every grenade thrown, every comment the soldiers said, everything worked flawlessly for the rest of the match, 3000 ticket server that is. Again, CPU load about the same as in Titanfall 2.

You can say whatever you want, it's not our hardware, it's the game.
    Respawn could add something like a voice/sound channel option like in Planetside 2. With that option, you can adjust how many sound/ voice channels can be used in the game. For weaker CPU's, you can lower that amount so some unneccessary sound effects get muted, since sound effects are ALWAYS a CPU thing.

• xzez
    16 postsPosts: 30
    I had this problem in tfall1 and to a lesser extent in tfall2 as well.

In tfall1 it would slowly get worse, leading to general stuttering and then a minute or so later the game would freeze and crash. Nothing was ever done aside from a single patch that had a note along the lines of "fix for audio issues" which had no affect.

It comes up from time to time for me in tfall2 but is thankfully much less severe.
  • moe51988
    1 postsPosts: 2
    I don't have much faith in respawn addressing this issue...just have to learn to play with it.
  • parkbot
    9 postsPosts: 9
    edited December 2016
    BrunoFisto wrote: »
    Today I swapped out my old CPU-Cooler and cleaned my PC a bit. It fixed my problem. I think the CPU was getting to hot. Try it if you have the chance ;)
    Appo_v wrote: »

I did this - I took out my fan and removed all the dust stuck in the heatsink, and it fixed my issue. I ran it at recommended settings and full FOV and it's amazingly still amazingly smooth. Thanks for the suggestion!
  • KDeimos89
    edited January 2017
    *Sigh*, are you actually kidding? Cleaning the PC only effects the temperatures and cannot fix any software...
    The only thing barely related to cleaning a PC is to check for loose connections. If you had a soundcard and it's loose, you would get no sound crackling, you won't get any no sound at all or just bluescreens. If a CPU has a loose connection, the PC won't operate at all. If a SATA cable is loose, your hard drive doesn't show up in the BIOS/UEFI/Windows etc.
    Don't get me wrong here, but this suggestion is totally not fixing that issue, i'm sorry. It's just a false impression because you think that might solve the problem. Play the game long enough and i guarantee you'll get the sound issues again.
    I would also remind that this problem was also in Titanfall 1 and every other game works perfectly.
  • Renanjedi
    1 postsPosts: 1
    edited January 2017
    Okay, this is my first post here on the forum at all, but I solved my problem, I had the sound and fps problem in SP and even more on MP, I literally tried everything in this forum and on reddit but nothing worked, so I was looking around and I saw a guy that did this and worked for him so I tried why not. Basically do all the things recommended here on the forum and do this: In nvidia control panel change the power management mode to prefere maximum performance and the MOST important that I think that truly worked is to uninstall the nvidia HD audio driver, just go in the control panel and do it and reboot the computer. I really hope it work for y'all, taken me a week to solve mine, working like a charm now, thanks to this guy. ;).
  • parkbot
    9 postsPosts: 9
    KDeimos89 wrote: »
    *Sigh*, are you actually kidding? Cleaning the PC only effects the temperatures and cannot fix any software...
    The only thing barely related to cleaning a PC is to check for loose connections. If you had a soundcard and it's loose, you would get no sound crackling, you won't get any no sound at all or just bluescreens. If a CPU has a loose connection, the PC won't operate at all. If a SATA cable is loose, your hard drive doesn't show up in the BIOS/UEFI/Windows etc.
    Don't get me wrong here, but this suggestion is totally not fixing that issue, i'm sorry. It's just a false impression because you think that might solve the problem. Play the game long enough and i guarantee you'll get the sound issues again.
    I would also remind that this problem was also in Titanfall 1 and every other game works perfectly.

No, I am absolutely serious. Cleaning the PC really did fix my issue. You're right, it affects temperatures. The restricted airflow increased the temperature and prevented the CPU from sustaining the highest frequencies needed to run the game. High latencies can result in buffer underruns for real-time processes like audio and display in games. In my case, the issue wasn't the software but rather my system.

You might have a different cause. All I'm saying is that it fixed it for me (and for a couple of other users). I didn't have this problem in Titanfall 1. And I played the Trial By Fire level on the single player campaign all the way through multiple times, and it was fine.
  • KDeimos89
    edited January 2017
    parkbot wrote: »
    The restricted airflow increased the temperature and prevented the CPU from sustaining the highest frequencies needed to run the game.

Unless the CPU doesn't run over 80°C, which would mean the CPU would thermal throttle, there is no reason for a CPU to not keep the maximum boost clocks on all cores, if you run the CPU @stock that is. When you OC, there are a lot of variables, of course.
    I can imagine your solution helped because you're using an Intel stock cooler. If yes, well there is your problem. Get a better air cooler. If no, i'm glad it helped for you. :)

• Tweakz
    5 postsPosts: 6
    edited January 2017
    i5 4690k @3.8GHz; Asus Hero MB;
    16GB Ripjaws; MSI gtx970 4G; win7x64

same issues

I tried reinstalling Visual C++ destributions on my machine. (Versions 2010; 2012; 2013)

Disabled Origin Overlay

So far only short CPU spike on level loading but after everything seems good so far. I will give more Feedback as soon as i played more.

CPU Temp is fine. With Prime95 on heat mode (which you never will achieve with a game) @60°C
  • I have the same exact problem. Defragmenter my hard drive, repaired within client, and deleted then reinstalled. I really hope the secs come out w a patch
  • Tweakz
    edited January 2017
    Update:

Reinstalling the C++ redistributable of version 2010 & 2012 seemed to work for me. No crckling so far after several games and maps which usualy have the issue.

Try a clean reinstall. Repair function might not work for sure.
  • Antigollos
    6 postsPosts: 6
    Tweakz wrote: »
    Update:

Reinstalling the C++ redistributable of version 2010 & 2012 seemed to work for me. No crckling so far after several games and maps which usualy have the issue.

My audio crackling, stuttering and mouse problems are gone! Unbelievable
    I tell you what I did: Instead of reinstalling all the packages of C++ redistributable I just uninstalled the double entries with x86 versions I had. Since I have a x64 (64bit) OS I was wondering for what I need the x86 versions at all. After deinstalling the unnecessary x86 versions and starting the game all my crackling was gone! I hope it wont come back again. And if not - then I can only imagine that the game had conflicts using two of the same C++ redistributables (x86 & x64) at once. Would make sense....

Hope that helps!

• KDeimos89
    edited January 2017
    Mh, very interesting. I will try that out later. I'll give my feedback.

EDIT: Origin won't start if i uninstall the 32 bit C++ redistributable of 2013, oh well.

EDIT 2: Still the same issue. Now i'm starting to think if i actually have that sound issue.

Lemme ask you something: How do distant gunfire and explosions and also the sound of any projectile hitting a distant wall from your titan sound like on your system? For me, it sounds like a decent filtered explosion (because of the actual distance)/kinda popping mixture. I really don't know that suppose to be like that or not. That's why i think i also got that issue. The rest of the sound effects on my system are fine.

You can call me an **** if i was wrong all the time and i don't have any sound issus at all.
  • Darxyder
    So this may not be the same with everybody, but my issue was being caused by the Razer Synapse software, which I was using to get a virtual 7.1 audio because back when I was still playing BF4, I literally couldn't hear what was going on "behind me".

Two days ago, my new headphones arrived (I was using Razer Tiamat 2.2 for the last 3-ish years) I simply uninstalled that thing, because I no longer had the issue when I loaded up BF4 to test it out.

I felt like playing Titanfall later, so I went and the stutter was no longer happening. No fps drops or audio crackling even after two hours of intense Toning and Ioning. The Exoplanet map, where the issue was the worst because of all the drop ships flying by was fine as well.

Sorry for the probably unnecessary story (and for playing Tone), but I hope this helps some of you guys out.

See you on the Frontier!

• Antigollos wrote: »
    Tweakz wrote: »
    Update:

My audio crackling, stuttering and mouse problems are gone! Unbelievable
    I tell you what I did: Instead of reinstalling all the packages of C++ redistributable I just uninstalled the double entries with x86 versions I had. Since I have a x64 (64bit) OS I was wondering for what I need the x86 versions at all. After deinstalling the unnecessary x86 versions and starting the game all my crackling was gone! I hope it wont come back again. And if not - then I can only imagine that the game had conflicts using two of the same C++ redistributables (x86 & x64) at once. Would make sense....

Hope that helps!

My audio crackling is essentially gone at this point. At least a 99.something percent reduction in crackling. Now there's only a slight single crackle every few minutes. What I had to do was reinstall every C++ redistributable from 2010 to 2015. I had 4 years (2010, 2012, 2013, 2015), and 2 versions of each year (x64 and x86). Originally I followed Anti's advice and just deleted the x86 files, however that caused my Titanfall 2 to be unable to run. So I reinstalled them all, and figured I'd reinstall/repair the x64 versions as well while I was at it. Lo and behold, I'm now basically free from audio crackling. I couldn't say whether it was reinstalling the x86 files that fixed it or the x64 files, but just do yourself a favor and reinstall all of them anyways. It'll take like 5 minutes and it could save your ears from a world of hurt.
  • Tweakz
    Glad i could help :) For me its 100% gone now. Just make sure you uninstall them first and install fresh downloaded versions fromi Microsoft.
  • Alright, I'm here to throw my voice into the fray. I'm playing on Ps4, and I'm having the exact same issues some of you are. My sound, when things start getting busy at all, starts to crash hard. Stutters and crackles like my headset is blown. Disconnected the cans (PlayStation Gold Wireless), and it exhibits the same problems playing over my surround setup.

I'm terrified this is going to damage my setup. When is Respawn going to announce some kind of fix? Or that they're working on one?
  • therealteune
    edited February 2017
    I thought cleaning the CPU and Cooler was a joke, but i also worked for me. I runned CoreTemp while playing Titanfall 2 and saw that my temps where 100 celcius. So i gave it a try, cleaned CPU and reinstalled stock cooler, after that my temps where around 40 degrees. But i have ordered a better cooler (Arctic Freezer i32) just in case. Because those Intel stock coolers are ****.

My setup

Windows 10 64-bit
    CPU: Intel i5 3570K (3.4Ghz)
    Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45
    GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970
    16GB RAM
    Samsung 840 PRO SSD 250GB
    Headset: Logitech G430 (7.1)

So maybe give it a shot with that solution.
  • got he same problem .. there doesn't seem to be a solution. It's annoying coz I'm really enjoying the game... but it has teh worst sound of any game I have ever played i think.
  • dndonkov
    edited March 2017
    So I just read that Tweakz fixed his problem with reinstalling his C++. Can anyone tell me how I am supposed to do it.

Thanks in advance.

Update: Nevermimd. Found it
  • IkeDerp
    16 postsPosts: 16
    edited May 2017
    Turning off "Sound Occlusion" worked for me

EDIT: ok it´s back again for no reason :disappointed:
  • MASTERX1234
    68 postsPosts: 77
    The issue is back for me too after the life fire update. Makes the game literally unplayable. Uninstalling until they fix it, this game takes up a ton of space on mt SSD.
  • Jul1n4tor
    Hey Guys,
    so i played a lot of Titatnfall 2 and also through the complete campaign. When i got Titanfall 2 back in November 2016 i just recently got a new headset, a Hyper X Cloud 2 and i first was a bit scared that it was the new Headset causing these issues and i just tried to forget it even tho i cringed hearing that sound. I also just recently upgraded my whole computer from an AMD FX 6300 and an Gtx 950 to an I7 7700K and an 1080 ti. This also didnt fix the problem and it is even getting worse. When the Main Menu starts it crumbles the whole time and only stops when the Musik makes a pause or is really silent.
    I also noticed this problem only happening when wearing a Headset. When i switch to my stereo speaker it is gone away but when again Wearing and using a Headset it just starts over.

I just hope Respawn notices this blog and starts fixing that because it is really driving me Crazy

(BTW im glad that im not the only one having those problems... :D )
  • I have a gtx 1070 and an i5 6500. I also had sound distortion issues with the game. This isn't the first time it happened actually, my father plays World of Warcraft and the sound was distorting as much as titanfall 2 did. He actually complained about it months ago but I thought that the game was just poorly optimized. Until now. I tried everything; reinstall c++ redistributes, turn down audio quality, disable origin overlay, and repair the game. Nothing worked. Some posted that the CPU is the issue so I benchmarked my CPU out of curiousity with Passmark. i5 6500 scored 7300 in average while my cpu was around 3400. After a mild panic attack, I updated BIOS, cleared my CPU, and one thing came to mind; POWER OPTION. For some reason it was on power save mode. Turned it up to balanced now both games' sound distortion is fixed. If anybody has good CPU and has sound distortion, check out the power settings. I feel silly now.

TL;DR: check the power option in control panel
  • N0l3n_o7
    2 postsPosts: 2
    Respawn/EA. Can you please look into this matter, it's been a constant problem for quiet a while now and doesn't seem to be getting any better with subsequent patching.

I have reinstalled origin and titanfall multiple times and even upgraded to windows 10 from 7 which both OS' encountered the problem.

I will upload my DXdiag at home, but this issue is making the game unplayable in both campaign and multiplayer.

I have no other issues with any other games while running 2x 1070GTX in SLI with my i5 3570k (non oc'd) w/ 16gb ram and a Corsair H100i AIO cooler running in performance mode.

Literally the only game I am encountering any form of audio glitching/stuttering (however you want to refer to it as)

All drivers have been updated and I have reinstalled all visual C++ installers from 2005 to 2016.

Example video that lead me to the post is linked below

Please for sake of my ears please look into this matter.
  • randumnoize
    edited November 2017
    Okay, I've been through multiple forums and tried everything, a few things suggested here worked, but only temporarily. What has FINALLY fixed this issue for me:

*I have an i5 6600 (non K) and an MSI Z170A motherboard with a GTX960*

As it turns out, my CPU was only running at 0.8GHz instead of its 3.3GHz

Possible Solution 1: On MSI Z170A series of motherboards (maybe some others as well) there is a switch labeled JSLOW or SLOW_1 that is used for LN2 cooling solution so the PC will boot at a stable processor frequency. It will lock your CPU at a lower frequency for safety, make sure that is turned off.

Possible Solution 2: There is an option in the BIOS called Intel Adaptive Thermal Monitor that you can turn off.

For me the problem was the Adaptive Thermal Monitor. After turning it off my CPU speed is at 3.3GHz and I played Titanfall 2 for a while (to make sure the audio crackling didn't return like the last few solutions) and it seems to be stable.

*I used CPU-Z to monitor my CPU speed.

link to original forum where Strachahroza mentioned this (near bottom): https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues/SOUND-BUG-MAKES-TITANFALL-2-ALMOST-UNPLAYABLE/td-p/5661305/page/3

link to MSI site with instructions on fixes: https://service.msicomputer.com/msi_user/support/TechFAQdetail.aspx?formid=3265
  • VeldrinMinamoto
    edited August 26
    I tried everything and lured several forum threads. after six hours and almost attempting to refund that game i finally found a solution. at least for NVIDIA GTX 970 users this could help.

set TEXTURE STREAMING BUDGET from default/recommended to 3.0 GB VRAM

Somehow game does not realise that GTX 970 has fake 4GB VRAM and does not work propperly with it. So if you have it as 4+ or disabled -> sound crackling/popping. But value 3 = no sound crackling/popping.

Hope this works for you too. But it is just an workaround. I have to set this setting every time i start the game to zero again and back to 3 again, otherwise it does not properly recognise it and popping/crackling starts again.