Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Audio Crackling and Popping

Comments

• still have gotten no word back from the answers.ea site and am still waiting for one if anyone else could try to post something about this on the answers.ea site and get an answer please post it here
  • I fixed it for me. The sound issues just appered when Discord was open. I clodes discord and everything was fine. I dont know if it is the same for steam.
  • I fixed it for me. The sound issues just appered when Discord was open. I clodes discord and everything was fine. I dont know if it is the same for steam.

closing discord didn't seem to help for me but thank you for an answer that might help other people
  • So, I just did some experimenting:

- Changing CPU priority only helped marginally
    - Reducing the number of available cores only increased the frame drop and sound corruption
    - I reduced every GFX setting one-by-one, differences were barely noticeable
    - Attemtped windowed mode, this only worsened the issues
    - Did a repair and update, both did nothing
    - Did some research on background processes run by Windows, which yielded nothing out of the ordinary
    - Increased size of virtual memory, this did nothing
    - Ensured that ONLY Origin ran in the background, this seemed to slow the issue down

At this point im thinking that it´s either my CPU, or Titanfall 2 has some kind of HDD useage problem.
  • Emuser012
    4 postsPosts: 4
    I have had these issues, the audio crackling and frame skipping is happening as a result of my CPU being maxed at 100%. Has anyone else been monitoring their CPU and memory while the game is playing to see the same or not?
  • I have this exact same problems. It happens during any part of the game where there's stuff actually going on. This NEEDS to be fixed!
  • Emuser012
    I wanted to come back and report that turning off my Origin overlay and/or Geforce Experience(I suspect this is the major culprit) is letting me play the most intense part of the campaign with all the titans battling without any issues at max settings (also turned down that targetable FPS thing to 0 since I heard that might help). I did turn down all options that say reducing them will help CPU just one notch down from max but no stuttering and no audio issues as of this post.

My specs for reference:

CPU: AMD A10 6700 - 3.7 ghz
    GPU: Geforce GTI 1060 6 GB
    Memory: 16GB
  • some one please help us :c
  • ItsExade
    3 postsPosts: 3
    edited November 2016
    I have the same Problem. Insane Crackling and Distortion of the Sound, to the point where its just unbearable. It always happens when a lot of stuff is going on ingame and a lot more in Multiplayer, compared to the campaign. The Game itself runs smoothly at arround 60 fps on my recommended settings and I have not noticed any fps drops, apart from a few stutters that occur very rarely and only at the same time as a major audio stutter. Also my CPU-Usage gets very high while the game runs (Usually at arround 90-98% sometimes spiking to 100)

My Specs:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor 3.40 GHz
    8 GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit

What I tried:

-Installing newest Drivers
    -Disabling Origin Overlay and close Geforce Exp.
    -Closing all other Applications
    -Lowering Graphic and Audio settings
    -Switching all 3 V-sync options
    -reducing the fps slider
    -Switching to windowed Mode
    -Disabling 1 and multiple Cores
    -Switching the Games Priority Settings arround
    -defraged my Hard drive
    -switching to 16bit/44.1k Hz

Obviously none of it helped. Hope this gets fixed soon.

• Also have this problem since the patch, even with everything turned down to low. I tried repairing, using stereo speakers, uninstalled AMD hd audio driver. Nothing works. MP isn't really playable like this.

i did a test and noticed that the problem has nothing to do with the setting you use or barely use but is from something diffrent
  • Pookychun
    1 postsPosts: 1
    I get the same as well, with our without surround options or discord turned on or off. Not by much, but ive found it to be not as frequent when force my computer to use 'Single GPU' rather than SLI in the nvidia control panel.
  • I am also experiencing severe audio static and tearing. I also have the same issues with processor overload. Nothing I have tried has fixed it. The game is completely unplayable. Fix it or give me my money back.
  • TheMaxery
    Same problem here
  • Sorok3eco
    2 postsPosts: 2
    I have the same problem here and I though´t about it...
    I have a i3 intel CPU, so not much of a monster, but I have a GTX 1060 GPU which is quite nice.
    My gameplay and praphic is really smooth and good (I play on Ultra), but sound crackling in hard fights.
    I believe the problem is caused by the bad performance of my CPU and because i use onboard sound right now, my CPU cant handel all of that and reduces the ressources for the sound and plopp there is the problem, thats why I want to ask if you guys use onboard sound as well or if you use a seperate soundcard?
  • ItsExade
    Sorok3eco wrote: »
    I have the same problem here and I though´t about it...
    I have a i3 intel CPU, so not much of a monster, but I have a GTX 1060 GPU which is quite nice.
    My gameplay and praphic is really smooth and good (I play on Ultra), but sound crackling in hard fights.
    I believe the problem is caused by the bad performance of my CPU and because i use onboard sound right now, my CPU cant handel all of that and reduces the ressources for the sound and plopp there is the problem, thats why I want to ask if you guys use onboard sound as well or if you use a seperate soundcard?

I use an onboard too
  • tolaorg
    I have this problem too. Some Titan voices are really broken plus I get that screetching sound/noise on background time to time. Like somebody said this seems worst when there is multiple voices. In my case its worst usually when Titans are coming down, there is lot of figthting and titan voice starts to popup for me. Then it almost always cracks up.

USB headset
    GTX 960
    AMD 8530
    Windows 10

• As soon as the lobby starts to search for other players, the audio crackling starts and persists during the entirity of matchmaking. Mercifully, once the map opens, the crackling stops or at least it gets drowned out by the ingame audio.
  • ItsExade
    This Thread is open for over a week now, is somebody gonna comment on this?
  • Sorok3eco
    2 postsPosts: 2
    As soon as the lobby starts to search for other players, the audio crackling starts and persists during the entirity of matchmaking. Mercifully, once the map opens, the crackling stops or at least it gets drowned out by the ingame audio.

I think you have a slightly different problem as the most of us.
    At least in my case, the cracking gets louder or at least more, the more sounds are being played in that moment, so more gunfire or titan movement sounds means more cracking.

I hope your problem gets fixed too throught.
  • I have simillar issue to You guys. I'm also thinking it might be CPU related as game itself run smooth (great graphic card/lame CPU) . Can anybody at Respawn at least address ?
  • I didn't have this issue until today. Crackling audio and frame dropping, making it very hard to play well when there is lots of action. This needs to be addressed.
  • I haven't run into the popping that some of you are describing yet, but for me the audio has some underlying crackly distortion or static, which sounds like real bad compression or poor reception on a radio. Campaign story videos, in game audio, Even NPC voices in the campaign in person sound scratchy. Although someone talking over the comms it sounds magnified. Really bizarre and it's driving me crazy because I can't find a fix.

This is what the multiplayer menu music sounds like for me, you can hear the distortion quite clearly with headphones:
    I just bought the game but it's hard to play it because it sounds so bad.
  • pyide_maybe
    5 postsPosts: 6
    edited November 2016
    Well, I believe I found what is causing my specific distortion issue - the game does not like audio sample rates above 48000 Hz.

My USB DAC only does 24-bit 96000 Hz, I switched over to my onboard Realtek audio at 24-bit 48000 Hz and this specific static distortion was gone. I upped it to 96k and 192k and both were distorted on the Realtek as well confirming that it occurs when going above 48k Hz. This is unfortunate for those with USB audio devices that don't give you an option of choosing a lower sample rate. Is there anything you can do about that, Respawn?

At least I have a way to play the game now without this extreme annoyance, but it's another annoyance in having to forgo my usb audio unit that's also an amp and swapping the plug on my headphones into my PC case for this game alone. Minor annoyance and the levels can't reach the loudness I'm used to and it has this onboard junk has its own form of acute static or background noise, but it's more playable now. Will have to wait and see if I get these big crackles and pops now.
  • OtaKhu
    I've fixed the problem by reinstalling my CPU cooler. My CPU was running at like 100 degrees C, so check your hardware temps! Might have something to do with your overall hardware performance!
  • Just bought the game today and I have this issue aswell. Sound is cracking all over the place, but not even everytime. I tried updating my softwares aswell as repairing the game, nothing changed.

This needs to be fixed ASAP, this topic is up for far too long without a half of a fix.

Game seems awesome but I just can't enjoy it right now and I'm not the only one.
  • At this point im thinking that it´s either my CPU, or Titanfall 2 has some kind of HDD useage problem.

Okay so I thought nothing of this up until now, but after seeing you post this I may as well let everyone know what happened so someone with more knowledge can possibly confirm or deny.

I'm having the same Audio issues, and most of the time it comes with some slight freezing and hitching in game as well.

A few days ago I was playing Tfall2 and it crashed my PC hard. After recovering, every single application and file located on the HDD with Tfall2 installed on it refused to work, most spat out an error message while some of them simply did nothing. This also caused some issues with my OS and some more crashing, which a friend who is more tech-savvy than I said was probably due to my OS still trying to access what was essentially a dead HDD.

After some reboots Win10 ran a disk check, this failed. Long story short I had to reinstall Win7 to get anything to work at all, even programs on the OS HDD.
    And the HDD that had Tfall2 on it is 100% dead. It won't even format, I've tried multiple programs and am waiting on a friend with a different system to try it for me, but I'm not holding my breath.

TL;DR Tfall2 may have fried one of my HDDs. And I am also having the same audio issues.

Might take a break from it until I hear some news about bug fix updates...
  • SneakyGemini
    10 postsPosts: 11
    At this point im thinking that it´s either my CPU, or Titanfall 2 has some kind of HDD useage problem.

Okay so I thought nothing of this up until now, but after seeing you post this I may as well let everyone know what happened so someone with more knowledge can possibly confirm or deny.

I'm having the same Audio issues, and most of the time it comes with some slight freezing and hitching in game as well.

A few days ago I was playing Tfall2 and it crashed my PC hard. After recovering, every single application and file located on the HDD with Tfall2 installed on it refused to work, most spat out an error message while some of them simply did nothing. This also caused some issues with my OS and some more crashing, which a friend who is more tech-savvy than I said was probably due to my OS still trying to access what was essentially a dead HDD.

After some reboots Win10 ran a disk check, this failed. Long story short I had to reinstall Win7 to get anything to work at all, even programs on the OS HDD.
    And the HDD that had Tfall2 on it is 100% dead. It won't even format, I've tried multiple programs and am waiting on a friend with a different system to try it for me, but I'm not holding my breath.

TL;DR Tfall2 may have fried one of my HDDs. And I am also having the same audio issues.

Might take a break from it until I hear some news about bug fix updates...

The other day after it started for me I touched my HDD which had titanfall2 on it and it felt like it was hot enough to cook bacon on. I think something is going wrong here i've never seen it so hot in all my life.

I've tried updating audio and video drivers changing bitrates of audio etc, nothing seems to fix this audio issue for me, but i'm to afraid to even try play the game anymore after what happend to the heat of my HDD. Might have to get a refund or something. Which is really sad because I loved the first titanfall and i'm loving this one too it's just to risky at this point.

• The other day after it started for me I touched my HDD which had titanfall2 on it and it felt like it was hot enough to cook bacon on. I think something is going wrong here i've never seen it so hot in all my life.

I've tried updating audio and video drivers changing bitrates of audio etc, nothing seems to fix this audio issue for me, but i'm to afraid to even try play the game anymore after what happend to the heat of my HDD. Might have to get a refund or something. Which is really sad because I loved the first titanfall and i'm loving this one too it's just to risky at this point.

Yeah there is definitely something not okay with Tfall2 on PC.

I'd prefer a refund for my HDD honestly but that will never happen haha.
    I'll wait a bit and see if they fix the issues, also I think I've played too much of the game to be eligible for a refund anyway.

Really hope they do fix it, Titanfall 2 is amazing.
  • SneakyGemini
    10 postsPosts: 11
    edited November 2016
    Yeah there is definitely something not okay with Tfall2 on PC.

I'd prefer a refund for my HDD honestly but that will never happen haha.
    I'll wait a bit and see if they fix the issues, also I think I've played too much of the game to be eligible for a refund anyway.

Really hope they do fix it, Titanfall 2 is amazing.

The more I think about it i'd really rather not give up, i'm sure a patch will deal with whatever issue it is in the near future, i'm going to try stay hopeful.

-Specs-
    -i7 870 @3.2ghz
    -Nvidia GTX760 (latest drivers)
    -8G RAM
    -Realtek onboard audio (latest drivers) (playing with 5.1 surround sound on, tried stereo didn't help)
    -Windows 7 64bit Ult Edition
    -Ingame settings recommend high, but I have it on medium textures 1920x1080 with most of the other settings on low for smoother fps, but the audio issue/frameskip/lag trifecta still hit me quite hard.
  • PredatorAncient
    edited November 2016
    i5 3470
    GTX 960 4GB
    16GB RAM
    Realtek Audio, updated drivers.
    Win7 Home Premium 64. Previously Win10 before Tfall2 (possibly) killed it.

WAS running a WD Black 1TB and a Seagate Barracuda 1TB. Now it's just the Seagate.