Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

CoD: IW Beta is available to everyone. Thoughts?

TheMattIdentity
315 postsPosts: 321 ✭✭✭
The CoD: IW beta is now free to download and play (no preorder or beta key necessary). Considering how big a rival it is, I thought I'd open a discussion thread for pros, cons, similarities to RTF2, purchases, whatever. Since it's free, and it's only a few gigs, I'm going to download and play it. Crazy, right?

For the love of everything, PLEASE do not turn this into a bash/rant thread about CoD. Also, PLEASE do not enter the discussion unless you have played or are going to play the beta.

I've found it easy to just read through Twitter replies and hate on CoD: IW for how bad it is without actually playing the game. Tweets, comments, Twitch streams and YouTube "dislike" bars aside, I'd like for a few RTF people to give it a shot and see what they think.

Comments

• AshySamurai
    2560 postsPosts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If CoD so bad why it have good sales every year?
    Respawn's own fanboy. Veteran of Regen shields war. Advanced flag button witness. Survivvor of Korean rebelion.
  • Indy8712
    17 postsPosts: 19
    I played a few matches Sunday and Monday via a beta code from a buddy of mine and its not for me. I don't know it something was wrong with my download or what, but the game felt sluggish and clunky to me. I very much was considering buying it but after playing a few matches decided to pass. It could very well be that they were using older code for this Beta, but from what I played I did not like. The shooting felt tight and the TTK was OK, but I could not handle the movement. I'll be picking up TF2 and BF1 for now, maybe COD after a few patches.
  • Indy8712
    17 postsPosts: 19

The series has a very loyal fan base that no matter what will buy the game every time one releases. It's like myself with Battlefield. BF4 was a disaster when it released and took months to fix, but when BF1 was announced it was an instant preorder for me. People will support what they love. I hope the Titanfall games become another instant preorder game for me in the future.

• AshySamurai
    2560 postsPosts: 2,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Indy8712 wrote: »

The series has a very loyal fan base that no matter what will buy the game every time one releases. It's like myself with Battlefield. BF4 was a disaster when it released and took months to fix, but when BF1 was announced it was an instant preorder for me. People will support what they love. I hope the Titanfall games become another instant preorder game for me in the future.

For me it was instant desigion to pre-order ^_^
    Respawn's own fanboy. Veteran of Regen shields war. Advanced flag button witness. Survivvor of Korean rebelion.
  • lamb_EAOrigin
    735 postsPosts: 774 ✭✭✭
    Just reminded me how TF has rotten any other shooter for me. Besides that, i think the jumping and wallruninnig is clunky and i really don't see any reason to use it in these small maps. It feels not like a copy, more like an abortion of TFs movement system. I like the team missions, though. Would be cool, if it would have some global impact, like a team that has many good players awards some slight bonus xp or something like that. I will have some fun with it this weekend, but ****, i really need to like TF2. Yeah, there is a silverlining with Quake Champions at the horizon, but if i end up nit liking TF2, Im pretty much screwed...
  • TheMattIdentity
    Okay, I've played a few matches and have some feedback. I'll make a Pro/Con list.

Pros:
    - Awesome graphics. Shiny shiny flashy flashy fancy schmancy.
    - Wall-running and double-jumping is kind of fun, but there's almost no vertical element to the game so it's more like a fancy sprint than actual parkour.
    - Plenty of new elements to the series (rigs have individual benefits and perks). Swapping between rigs is a bit like changing classes in RTF2. It'll take some experimenting to figure out which one you like.
    - Terminal is back, and MW2 fans will be glad to know that the layout is identical to MW2. It just has space shuttles instead of 747's.

Cons:
    - AWFUL spawns. I've died four seconds after spawning more than a few times. Turn a corner, shot in the back. The space station map is the worst for this.
    - Already polluted with quick-scope snipers. The teams I play against usually have at least one quick-scoper who 1HK's everyone.
    - Slow movement. You're a giant robot, so you move at the speed a giant robot would. If anyone here is mad about RTF2's pilot speed, I encourage you to play this for an evening. I guarantee you will have no complaints.
    - Body customization is pitiful. A bunch of the different helmets and armors are just the same thing but with a different color swatch that's honestly hard to even see.
    - Crafting weapons. The whole element of balance with different rigs looking differently is screwed over by having weapons with secret perks. Imagine RTF1 burn cards, but they're permanent.

The bad spawning and quick-scoping has already killed it for me. The sluggish movement speed didn't help. I'll probably play it another time or two but other than that I'm not sold.
  • rarfarfar
    713 postsPosts: 802 ✭✭✭✭
    I've bought every COD since the first MW, despite noticing something fishy with the hit detection as early as MW3. It's gone progressively worse with each iteration, and with Advanced Warfare I got a refund from my local retailer, on the grounds of the game beng broken (local conusmer legislation is top tier). I got BO3 after sampling the multi player at a friend's. hit detection was actually OK for the first few months. Now it's almost as bad as AW.
    The IW beta finally convinced me not to get COD this year. Every gunfight feels like a craps shoot. It doesn't matter who shoots first, the lag compensation is so poorly implemented, that it feels more like a randomize deciding the outcome of the gunfight.
    I was ready to pay top dollar just to get MWR, but decided not to reward Activision for handcuffing a classic to a below par product.

Fun factor. Good selection of guns across multiple classes, plenty of maps, but most importantly a level progressions system and score/killstreaks. Both provide some sort of gratification.
    No nerfs! You're Pilots. You adapt. You Improvise. You overcome!
  • TheMattIdentity
    Fun story: I was playing 4v4 and three guys on the other team quit at the end of the round. Rather than balance the teams or cancel the next match due to insufficient players, the next round was 4v1. So team balance is nonexistent.

Not that it matters. The UAV is a default killstreak in the beta. You don't get Blind Eye (invisibility to UAVs) until level 18. Games rapidly turned into the other team calling in a UAV, hunting my team down, killing us all, and calling in another UAV for literally the entire round. Idk if that happened before but I don't remember that kind of problem.
    rarfarfar wrote: »
    Fun factor. Good selection of guns across multiple classes, plenty of maps, but most importantly a level progressions system and score/killstreaks. Both provide some sort of gratification.

I don't think so. I think it's because CoD is "cool." All the pros play it (so to speak). I also think a lot of the sales come from irresponsible parents who buy it for their underage kid because that's what they always want, again because it's cool. I do not like those parents.
  • xIK0N88x
    818 postsPosts: 853 ✭✭✭✭
    I wasn't a fan, at all.

I thought the graphics were horrible in my opinion, looked very cartoon-ish to me. The game is more slow and sluggish, it's missing that fluidity that CoD used to have. I'm also not a fan of these weapon variants, I think that is absolute garbage. So if someone has a lot of money they can just buy a TON of supply drops and have a chance of getting a weapon that's better than mine, I don't like that pay-to-win model.

In one of the drops I got a Sniper that had a trait on it that gave me infinite hold breath duration which gives a massive advantage over someone who doesn't want that.
  • TheMattIdentity
    @TrueMH999 Why did you mark the OP as Abuse??
  • TrueMH999
    379 postsPosts: 403 ✭✭✭
    @TrueMH999 Why did you mark the OP as Abuse??

Not abuse in the sense of blatantly insulting or antagonizing others. Rather placing topics in inappropriate sections of the forums. General Discussion is a section used for discussion related to all things Titanfall.

This is a topic about the new coming Call of Duty, Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. There is a specific section of the forum set up for non-Titanfall related discussions. It's called Off-Topic, and is available to non members as well.

Placing a non-Titanfall related topic in the General Discussion section of the forums is abusing its frequent visitors. A similar situation would be when someone comments on a popular Youtuber's video and asks for Subscribers. It's not related and it's abusing the fact that it will receive large exposure.
  • TheMattIdentity
    @TrueMH999 Should have just said that instead of reporting it.

@Sledge70 Any chance you could move this to Off-Topic?
  • TrueMH999
    @TrueMH999 Should have just said that instead of reporting it.

@Sledge70 Any chance you could move this to Off-Topic?

The forum guide lines state that forum members should report and not confront, so that's what I did. You asked for a explanation so I gave one.

I'll remove the report once it's moved as this isn't attacking anyone or thing, it's merely in the wrong place.
  • TrueMH999
    Cools, I removed it.
  • unctheels
    189 postsPosts: 204 ✭✭
    edited October 2016
    first of all, i want to make one thing perfectly clear. i am not a big COD fan, i prefer Battlefield, and when Titanfall 2 releases ill be a Titanfall fan as well. at the same time i dont hate COD. its just not my preferred game. the same way im a Playstation guy but i dont hate Xbox. good competition is better for everybody. i just made these things known so you will be aware that my opinion on COD IW is not because of a inner hate of the franchise or anything. now that thats out of the way here is my honest opinion. i played the COD IW beta, and i was quite shocked at how bad i thought it was. imo Black Ops 3 has considerably better graphics and gameplay than IW. i only played 1.5 rds and uninstalled it. it doesnt play smooth at all, and i honestly thought the graphics looked almost like a ps3 or xbox 360 game. after my play session, i am more confident than ever that TF2 is going to be VASTLY superior to COD IW. if the COD fans will only give TF2 a chance, i believe IW is in big trouble. and the thing is most of the COD youtubers also seem to be really impressed with TF2, so the word is already out. and like i said earlier, this not a bash session from me on COD. i just really feel that COD IW is that bad.
  • TrueMH999
    I'd like to leave these here:

• TRICL0PS
    395 postsPosts: 402 ✭✭✭
    Played it for a few hours today and I really didn't like it. The game feels like a re-skinned and worse version of Black Ops 3.

- Movement is slow and clunky compared to Black Ops 3 and especially Titanfall 2.

- The TTK is way too fast. You die almost instantly when you get shot. Except for when you're benefiting from..

- Poor hit detection. There are often times when you put an entire clip into an enemy player but don't get a single hit marker.

- Awful spawns. Spawning and then immediately getting shot at is a common occurrence in this game. Most likely because...

- Maps are too small and cluttered. Playing Terminal again was nice but the other maps are just awful, especially Frontier.

- The game is very bland and generic looking. Lots of washed out colors. It's easy to lose track of enemy players at times because of how much they blend into the blandness of the maps.

- Weapon variants. I hated these in Advanced Warfare and I wasn't glad to see them back. They completely throw off the weapon balance. Some of these guns have game breaking perks too. Add in the fact that you can unlock specific weapons with salvage now and it makes them even worse. Players who spend more money and open more supply drops will have a lot more salvage than players who don't. Everyone can eventually unlock these guns but people who spend money will get a huge shortcut to them.

- Quick scoping. I don't know if the hit boxes are bigger or if they increased the aim assist on the snipers but quick scoping is out of control in this game. Every match in the beta is a sniper fest.

Anyone who had a problem with the TTK and movement speed in Titanfall 2 or thinks Respawn turned the game into COD should seriously play Infinite Warfare. This is the alternative to TF2 and it's far worse is every aspect.
  • TrueMH999
    TRICL0PS wrote: »
    Played it for a few hours today and I really didn't like it. The game feels like a re-skinned and worse version of Black Ops 3.

- Movement is slow and clunky compared to Black Ops 3 and especially Titanfall 2.

- The TTK is way too fast. You die almost instantly when you get shot. Except for when you're benefiting from..

- Poor hit detection. There are often times when you put an entire clip into an enemy player but don't get a single hit marker.

- Awful spawns. Spawning and then immediately getting shot at is a common occurrence in this game. Most likely because...

- Maps are too small and cluttered. Playing Terminal again was nice but the other maps are just awful, especially Frontier.

- The game is very bland and generic looking. Lots of washed out colors. It's easy to lose track of enemy players at times because of how much they blend into the blandness of the maps.

- Weapon variants. I hated these in Advanced Warfare and I wasn't glad to see them back. They completely throw off the weapon balance. Some of these guns have game breaking perks too. Add in the fact that you can unlock specific weapons with salvage now and it makes them even worse. Players who spend more money and open more supply drops will have a lot more salvage than players who don't. Everyone can eventually unlock these guns but people who spend money will get a huge shortcut to them.

- Quick scoping. I don't know if the hit boxes are bigger or if they increased the aim assist on the snipers but quick scoping is out of control in this game. Every match in the beta is a sniper fest.

Anyone who had a problem with the TTK and movement speed in Titanfall 2 or thinks Respawn turned the game into COD should seriously play Infinite Warfare. This is the alternative to TF2 and it's far worse is every aspect.

Titanfall provides a somewhat unique experience, so there are no direct substitutes. However, there have been many FPSs released/going to be released this year, so Infinite Warfare is hardly the only alternative.
  • TheMattIdentity
    edited October 2016
    To justify how bad I'm doing already, I'm going to play SWAGG a little while so my terrible KDR makes more sense.

SWAGG: Stolen-Weapon Adaptive Gun Game. Plays on any team-based mode. Starting class must have NO primary weapon, with the secondary being either a pistol or a combat knife. You must get a kill (lethal ordinance and killstreaks do not count) and take the killed player's weapon. Your next kill must be by this weapon. Swap that weapon for the dropped weapon from the second kill and continue. You must secure the kill to take the weapon, but you can use assists too if you want to play that way.

It's extremely hard to do, especially when UAV's are up and everyone else is using a proper rifle, but it's kind of fun if your KDR isn't important to you. You can do it in any FPS, really. Just don't use your primary.
  • TRICL0PS
    TrueMH999 wrote: »

Titanfall provides a somewhat unique experience, so there are no direct substitutes. However, there have been many FPSs released/going to be released this year, so Infinite Warfare is hardly the only alternative.
    What I meant by Infinite Warfare being the alternative to Titanfall 2 is that these are the only 2 fast paced, futuristic FPS games coming out the rest of this year. Infinite Warfare is a lot closer to TF2 than BF1 and they're being released within a week from each other. I think most people who want this type of game will choose one over the other instead of getting both.
  • TrueMH999

What I meant by Infinite Warfare being the alternative to Titanfall 2 is that these are the only 2 fast paced, futuristic FPS games coming out the rest of this year. Infinite Warfare is a lot closer to TF2 than BF1 and they're being released within a week from each other. I think most people who want this type of game will choose one over the other instead of getting both.

For the rest of the year perhaps, but there are were other fast paced FPSs released this year.

Doom and Overwatch would be two. And due to them being released earlier this year, when holidays roll around sales will be even better.
  • TheMattIdentity
    Speaking of Overwatch, they did it right with a free weekend, where the game was 100% free to download and play for a weekend. On top of that, any experience, leveling or loot you got during the free weekend carried over if you decided to buy the game. Pretty darn good move by Blizzard, because I picked up a hard copy about week later.

As for CoD vs Titanfall, I seriously think it's going to split between the diehard fans and anyone who wants to play a futuristic FPS. Infinite Warfare will probably make a load of money anyway mostly because it's CoD, but there are so many CoD players who hate where the series is going that will probably turn to RTF2 because it was already futuristic and at least it has giant robots.

Especially since RTF2 has pilots-only and coliseum modes. It's a great way to introduce new players to the style and movement of Titanfall without them getting consistently blown up by giant robots. It'll also keep any ambitious quick-scope players away from Attrition, Amped Hardpoint, etc.
  • hsarb
    1434 postsPosts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, normally I enjoy COD to varying degrees, but this beta is awful. I hear complaints about TTK in titanfall, but wow. Snipers are insanely imbalanced, and the parkour and jump mechanics are clunky.

Losing momentum when you jump, wall run, or slide is silly. Furthermore, every weapon barring the sniper feels exactly the same to me.

I don't know. Some of my buddies refuse to play titanfall for whatever reason, so they want me to pick up COD..... I don't wanna.
  • TheMattIdentity
    There are a couple good points for CoD, though:

1. Sprinting doesn't cancel reloading. In previous games, you could be halfway through putting a new magazine into your rifle, but if you started sprinting, the animation cancelled and so did your reload. In IW, the animation continues to completion even if you start running, so you have a fresh magazine when you turn a corner and run into someone.
    2. No 1HK combat knife melee. Now you hit them with your weapon HALO-style and it's a 2HK. You have to equip a combat knife as your secondary weapon for the 1HK, which is actually kind of cool. It's a bit more realistic, and you have a chance to escape or return fire if you get hit from behind.

The first one is one of the things that keeps me playing the beta. I still die extremely fast from being quick-scoped from everywhere. The first sniper rifle you get literally says "One-hit kill above the waist" in the description. IN THE DESCRIPTION. You take a bullet to the shoulder at any range, you're dead.

Also, one CoD rifle is hilariously named "Widowmaker," which (in case you've been living under a rock for the past six months) is the name of the sniper in Overwatch, which is actually a pretty big disadvantage for CoD because Overwatch is a lot of fun and Widowmaker is incapable of 1HK quick-scoping (if you don't play Overwatch, her rifle has to charge up for a few seconds while scoped to achieve a 1HK).
  • crabman169
    950 postsPosts: 1,005 ✭✭✭✭
    I've been watching uploads in the Xbox clubs.

Wow the game looks bad and just like every other cod ever but even worse

Black op 3.5 whilst attempting to be halo.

I honestly don't think i'll ever pick this up and I have every previous cod (unfortunately and really weird from a battlefield vet).

By all means if you like it go ahead, I'm not stopping you. But on that same coin you have nothing to sling at both bf1 and tf2.
    15 hours to 100% TF2
  • TRICL0PS

For the rest of the year perhaps, but there are were other fast paced FPSs released this year.

Doom and Overwatch would be two. And due to them being released earlier this year, when holidays roll around sales will be even better.
    True, but Doom and Overwatch came out 5 months ago and have made the majority of their sales already. Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2 are going to sell more than those games this holiday season because they are newer, COD for sure. There are probably a lot of Doom and Overwatch players that are ready for something new as well.
    As for CoD vs Titanfall, I seriously think it's going to split between the diehard fans and anyone who wants to play a futuristic FPS. Infinite Warfare will probably make a load of money anyway mostly because it's CoD, but there are so many CoD players who hate where the series is going that will probably turn to RTF2 because it was already futuristic and at least it has giant robots.

Especially since RTF2 has pilots-only and coliseum modes. It's a great way to introduce new players to the style and movement of Titanfall without them getting consistently blown up by giant robots. It'll also keep any ambitious quick-scope players away from Attrition, Amped Hardpoint, etc.
    I agree. With the last 2 CODs being fast paced shooters with boost jumping and wall running it should be easier for COD players who like that play style, but don't want to buy Infinite Warfare, to transition over to Titanfall 2.

A lot of the problems that people have with Infinite Warfare don't exist in Titanfall 2 either. TF2 is a much smoother running game with better hit detection, spawns, and dedicated servers. There are tons of COD players who hate supply drops, weapon variants, and having to pay $50 for DLC every year too. Once those players find out that all the post launch maps, modes, and weapons in TF2 are free that could be very enticing for them to make the switch.

Also, many of the things that scared people away from the first Titanfall have been changed. There's a ton of new content, modes without AI and titans, the smart pistol is less prominent, etc. I don't expect it to outsell IW but with all the negativity surrounding that game I think TF2 has a good chance to take a portion of COD's player base away this year.
  • TrueMH999

True, but Doom and Overwatch came out 5 months ago and have made the majority of their sales already. Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2 are going to sell more than those games this holiday season because they are newer, COD for sure. There are probably a lot of Doom and Overwatch players that are ready for something new as well.

I agree. With the last 2 CODs being fast paced shooters with boost jumping and wall running it should be easier for COD players who like that play style, but don't want to buy Infinite Warfare, to transition over to Titanfall 2.

A lot of the problems that people have with Infinite Warfare don't exist in Titanfall 2 either. TF2 is a much smoother running game with better hit detection, spawns, and dedicated servers. There are tons of COD players who hate supply drops, weapon variants, and having to pay $50 for DLC every year too. Once those players find out that all the post launch maps, modes, and weapons in TF2 are free that could be very enticing for them to make the switch.

Also, many of the things that scared people away from the first Titanfall have been changed. There's a ton of new content, modes without AI and titans, the smart pistol is less prominent, etc. I don't expect it to outsell IW but with all the negativity surrounding that game I think TF2 has a good chance to take a portion of COD's player base away this year.

I'm not talking about sales. I'm talking about people desiring a fast paced futuristic FPS have these to choose from as well, rather than just Infinite Warfare or Titanfall 2. There's also Homefront: The Revolution, and the majority just looking for a fast FPS, their options expand tremendously.
  • TheMattIdentity
    crabman169 wrote: »
    I've been watching uploads in the Xbox clubs.

Wow the game looks bad and just like every other cod ever but even worse

Black op 3.5 whilst attempting to be halo.

I honestly don't think i'll ever pick this up and I have every previous cod (unfortunately and really weird from a battlefield vet).

By all means if you like it go ahead, I'm not stopping you. But on that same coin you have nothing to sling at both bf1 and tf2.

Appreciate the feedback, but I said in the OP that I only want people who have played or are going to play the beta to post. Like I said before, you can look at all the videos, reviews, and dislike bars you want, but solid feedback only comes from actually playing the game. I recommend everyone play the beta, even if it's only one match.
  • TRICL0PS

I'm not talking about sales. I'm talking about people desiring a fast paced futuristic FPS have these to choose from as well, rather than just Infinite Warfare or Titanfall 2. There's also Homefront: The Revolution, and the majority just looking for a fast FPS, their options expand tremendously.
    I'm talking specifically about 2 new games that are coming out soon and directly competing with each other this holiday season. Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2 are more like alternatives to one another because of how comparable they are and their release dates being so close. I don't know why that's so difficult to understand.
  • TrueMH999

I'm talking specifically about 2 new games that are coming out soon and directly competing with each other this holiday season. Infinite Warfare and Titanfall 2 are more like alternatives to one another because of how comparable they are and their release dates being so close. I don't know why that's so difficult to understand.

Just a misunderstanding, no need to rude.