Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Gears 4 *Review as of now*

BlurriFace
759 postsPosts: 798 ✭✭✭
edited October 2016
I'm past the halfway mark of the campaign. Spent all my time there an haven't touched horde or multi yet. I will post a review later, but who's playing it?

***Please do not post any campaign spoilers***

Current thoughts: JD Fenix is a good new frontman with his light hearted sarcasm. Del makes a good new sidekick. They're no Marcus and Dom, but still have good synergy. More like Cole and Baird, if Baird wasn't so sarcastic and Cole was toned down in the beef an energy department. I want to like Kait, but something feels off. She needs more lines beyond serious dialogue.

ETA: Beat the campaign, and what an ending. Kait is now 1,000% more interesting. All the reviews warned of a lackluster ending, and the boss fight is rather forgettable. Wasn't expecting that end twist. Much better story than the Halo 3 - Halo 4 switch. Excellent continuation of the gears storyline.
Review TBC...

Comments

• xIK0N88x
    818 postsPosts: 853 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd love to say I'm playing it right now BUT I ordered through my Amazon Prime (which is guaranteed delivery on release date) well... the delivery day is the 10th now because of an 'unexpected delay' :(
  • laddie13
    383 postsPosts: 418 mod
    I've only managed to play a few hours so far, hoping to get some time in tonight. I've only played the campaign and have quite honestly never enjoyed MP shooters in the third person but I will say Gears does it well. I don't find the DeeBees all that interesting, can't wait until the traditional Gears enemies are more prevalent. I'm so far enjoying the new characters, and the game looks great.

@xIK0N88x that sucks! Amazon has been failing me on shipping lately as well. I have Prime as well but often pay extra for next day delivery, the last several times there has been unexpected shipping delays. They refund the shipping, but still.
  • BlurriFace
    The Dee Bees are boring enemies. Game gets much better when you fight the Swarm.
  • BlurriFace
    edited October 2016
    Well since my OP is unable to be edited at this time...
    TL;DR - Horde is more team focused for better or worse. Solid multi-player. Solid story closer to the original three. 4/5 stars for me.

Review continuation:
    Horde 3.0 requires more teamwork this time around with custom base building. The classes aren't nearly as restrictive like Judgment, but often players ignore their purpose. The fabricator acts much like the bank in Bounty Hunt except it builds stuff and you can deposit at anytime. Once again, players often ignore depositing the credits earned which is a disservice to the team. You need a strong base to survive the harder rounds, it's frustrating if you're the only one trying to build stuff while your teammates hold on or neglect to pick up credits from vanquished foes. Horde is my favorite mode, and selfish players ruin it even more so this go around. 3.5/5 stars

Never was a versus fan in Gears, but I'm enjoying it. Plays smooth, noticed a few bugs but nothing game breaking. Not enough early access players for the social playlist to run smoothly. 4/5 stars

The micro transaction card system: Gears multi-player maps will all be free. It's like the Halo 5 REQ system, but much better. Yes, packs and unlocks are random. So you can grind your way in game credits or drop cash. Each card deck of 5 is randomized, and you can craft cards too. Say you want to use the Shepard DeeBee skin. If you destroy the cards you don't want (say like your rainbow gnasher skin) you can then use the points to craft the cards you want. No more frustrating lottery pull to hopefully get what you want. Turn your unwanted cards into one's you actually want. I hate micro transactions, but it's the best one I've seen...
    10/18 Now after a few weeks I dislike it more. I spent enough on the Ultimate Edition and I got a few cool cosmetics and was easily able to scrap enough for the few skins I really wanted. Not enough credits are rewarded in game making it really grindy, and packs are overpriced so I understand the hate. On paper a good idea but feels to much like a money grab.

Back to the campaign: my original thoughts have been tweaked a bit to where they don't represent my thoughts accurately. I have a sarcastic sense of humor, and that's why I loved Baird. But he is a flat out jerk with his sarcasm. JD, Del, and Kait (to a point) often trade lines of sarcasm more light-hearted fasion. They're not the disgruntled batch that Marcus, Dom, and Baird were. Well, JD and Del are more Cole like, if you split Coles enthusiasm between two people. Kait is more grounded than the two guys, and I wish her character had better interaction with the rest of the team. It fits, even if Marcus tends to steal the show at times. It's not the best Gears story but if I had to order them from best to worst it would be 1, 3, 4, 2, Judgment. When you meet the swarm and discover their origin, it makes sense. Lots of foreshadowing so attentive players may not be as surprised as I was about the end. The ending fight sequences were a blast. Last boss a bit too scripted. Some may not like the horde parts of the levels (one per act), I didn't mind them. 4.5/5 stars.
  • xIK0N88x
    Amazon actually did right by me and gave me $10 off my next purchase and a full digital Ultimate Edition. So if anyone wants to play Gears, I'll probably be on that the most until Titanfall 2 comes out.
  • laddie13
    383 postsPosts: 418 mod
    Poor checkpoints have been my biggest issue with Gears 4. I'll eventually finish the campaign, not sure how much MP I'll get into.
  • xIK0N88x
    I must say, I'm disappointed by the story. Very short, not much depth and very underwhelming.
  • BlurriFace
    edited October 2016
    It definitely needed more items fleshed out such as:
    JD and Del's friendship (why are they such good friends, why they left the COG after settlement 2, why Marcus thinks it was JD's idea when it was actually Del's idea to leave the COG)

Settlement 2 (I'm taking that Minister Jinn used deadly force DeeBees on outsiders who were raiding for supplies but we don't know exactly what happened there that caused Del and JD to go AWOL and live with the outsiders)

Anya's death (how did it happen, was it the cause of Marcus and JD's estrangement with Marcus sending him to boarding school)

The Swarm (so juvies and drones are mutated humans and scions are mutated locust, but why did only the locust drones mutate? I originally thought that since drones were the result of old COG immulsion exposure studies while the other Locust were indigenous hollows creatures but the Brumarks metamorphosised. Where did the pouncers, carriers, and snatchers come from if they're not mutated locust creatures? Are they all interconnected into a hive mind now?)
  • xIK0N88x
    BlurriFace wrote: »
    It definitely needed more items fleshed out such as:
    JD and Del's friendship (why are they such good friends, why they left the COG after settlement 2, why Marcus thinks it was JD's idea when it was actually Del's)

Settlement 2 (I'm taking that Minister Jinn used deadly force DeeBees on outsiders who were raiding for supplies but we don't know exactly what happened there that caused Del and JD to go AWOL and live with the outsiders)

Anya's death (how did it happen, was it the cause of Marcus and JD's estrangement with Marcus sending him to boarding school)

The Swarm (so juvies and drones are mutated humans and scions are mutated locust, but why did only the locust drones mutate? I originally thought that since drones were the result of old COG immulsion exposure studies while the other Locust were indigenous hollows creatures but the Brumarks metamorphosised. Where did the pouncers, carriers, and snatchers come from if they're not mutated locust creatures? Are they all interconnected into a hive mind now?)

You need to take the S off the end of the spoiler tag for it to work.

I disagree with number 1 and 2, I understand that they'll probably want to flesh those out in the games to come. However, number 3 should have definitely been explained and explored in THIS game.