Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Paying For Early Access

laddie13
365 postsPosts: 396 mod
I’ve noticed a trend recently in games where those who buy the deluxe versions are getting the games earlier than those who buy the standard edition. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Tomb Raider, Battlefield V, and Darksiders 3 all featured early deluxe edition unlocks. I have little to no patience waiting for video games, so I’m going to pay for early access. I was wondering how others felt about this though, and does it make you spend extra money that you wouldn’t have normally to play a little earlier?

Comments

• Magikf1ngers
    4485 postsPosts: 4,538 mod
    laddie13 wrote: »
    I’ve noticed a trend recently in games where those who buy the deluxe versions are getting the games earlier than those who buy the standard edition. Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Tomb Raider, Battlefield V, and Darksiders 3 all featured early deluxe edition unlocks. I have little to no patience waiting for video games, so I’m going to pay for early access. I was wondering how others felt about this though, and does it make you spend extra money that you wouldn’t have normally to play a little earlier?

For me, I look at it like this:

When they first started doing "Deluxe Editions" - there was extra stuff you didn't have to pay for - expansion packs, exclusive in-game items, etc - not just "You get this weapon at launch instead of having to earn it" and that sort of thing.

So - now, instead of a lot of those things, now you get a week or two early access, and a small handful of cosmetics. To me, it's just the evolution of the Deluxe Edition.

What I think is **** is that I choose to purchase a game license instead of paying for the subscription, and the subscribers get a lot earlier access than the Deluxe Edition purchasers.
    Come find me on the PC side - Magikf1ngers - network SLACKERS UNITED

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
  • laddie13
    365 postsPosts: 396 mod
    The BFV on the Origin premium was a little baffling to me. It wasn’t the case on EA Access on X1, you could only play for 10 hours, and can only play the first part of the campaign.

The website where I am a senior editor at is a pretty big PlayStation site, we didn’t get any review codes until Wednesday, lol, I think a few other sites played it through Origin premium and passed it off as a PS4 review.

I also think that since a lot of people have gone digital they needed to up the appeal of deluxe, what better way to do it than early access.
  • Magikf1ngers
    Yep - exactly - that's another aspect that I had thought of after I said what I did. With electronic delivery, they had to up the ante a bit since you can't go buy the disks / CD / DVD and all the little collectibles that go with it.

I'll never forget - my wife plays World of Warcraft, and when the expansion .. can't remember what it was called, but it had the Lich King in it, came out, you couldn't pre-order it. I could reserve a copy at Game Stop and then go pick it up at 12:00 Midnight the night before release (well, technically it was the day of release) - so I went and got in line at 10:30 at the local Game Stop in Garden Grove, CA where we were living. It was a big launch thing, with Blizzard just being over in Irvine, they sent out people to select Game Stops, and I had no idea they were sending people to the one I was at. Free food, a party atmosphere, etc. I wound up getting the copy of the expansion I reserved for her ( the full-on collectible version), and then won a second one for free.

Maybe it's that now I live in Seattle, or maybe it's because I'm older and a student and not paying as much attention to releases, but you just don't see release activities like that anymore, so that is why you get the early access with electronic delivery.

I miss those release parties - I went to a few with different releases of Battlefield as well, but they weren't at that magnitude, just whatever the manager of the local computer store would do.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
  • Hrafn-Fel
    3553 postsPosts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesnt bother me for early access or different early access dates. Imo you pay for the extra content (skin, titles, banners etc.) not the early access. Regardless I would pay (if reasonably priced) extra for the ingame items. To me the early access is like a bonus amazon prime feature. I dont complain that I get free twitch prime for paying for amazon prime.
  • Magikf1ngers
    Hrafn-Fel wrote: »
    It doesnt bother me for early access or different early access dates. Imo you pay for the extra content (skin, titles, banners etc.) not the early access. Regardless I would pay (if reasonably priced) extra for the ingame items. To me the early access is like a bonus amazon prime feature. I dont complain that I get free twitch prime for paying for amazon prime.

You get Twitch prime with Amazon Prime? sheesh - I have had AP for .. years and didn't realize that. (Since my wife started RN program - student rates rock)

• xIK0N88x
    788 postsPosts: 823 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 15
    Not something I'd pay extra money for. I can wait a week or a few more days to play it and I feel like that has started to change a little bit since I've gotten older.
  • Hrafn-Fel

You get Twitch prime with Amazon Prime? sheesh - I have had AP for .. years and didn't realize that. (Since my wife started RN program - student rates rock)

Yep free twitch prime so jump on and link accounts. You get a free 1 month Twitch prime sub to give to a streamer. I recommend if you have a person you want to support jump on and drop them your TP sub.
  • Magikf1ngers

Yep free twitch prime so jump on and link accounts. You get a free 1 month Twitch prime sub to give to a streamer. I recommend if you have a person you want to support jump on and drop them your TP sub.

I don't even have a twitch account at this point, but I may start one up and link it up. Might be interesting to watch some players and whatnot.

• Hrafn-Fel
    edited November 17
    I watch people play R6 mainly a girl goes by bnans (I think). I suck at R6 and dream that I could play so I like watching others play it. She is very nice and laid back doesnt complain or rant at others for messing up. She just has fun and takes losses as they come. So I give her my free sub to help her out. It's nice to relax or if I'm busy and just want noise in the background.
  • RedShield75
    1330 postsPosts: 1,418 ✭✭✭
    What I tend to do with these cases, is I forget about the game on purpose. Shortly after launch, I tend to get reminded, (front page of the store, etc.) and now, I have the several days of the public + the week or so of the deluxe edition player's have had to make reviews and recommendations. This way, I don't stumble in completely blind like a lot of people did, which has saved me from buying really expensive bad games like SW:BFII 2017.
    Help I'm trapped in a signature factory