Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Battlefield V open beta discussion

BlurriFace
755 postsPosts: 794 ✭✭✭
Never been much of a BF player myself, but so far I've had more fun with my time in the beta than I did for BF1. I prefer that the game seems to be more infantry focused than BF1 did. My biggest cons are: only one spare mag, have to descope to reload snipers for the next shot, and SMGs are a smidge too powerful at longer ranges. Anyone else have thoughts on their time in game?

Comments

• Hrafn-Fel
    3528 postsPosts: 3,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smgs are fine at long ranges imo. It takes a lot of shots to kill a person med to long ranges. Any other class can easily 2 shot you. Snipers can easily 1 shot you so imo it works. SMG could use a slight buff in close range damage imo. It seems assault rifles out perform them. Then again the stG44 seems to beat everything at all the areas.

Sniper rifles were like that in BF1 also. One or 2 could fire without needing to descope. But from looks of it sniper rifles will be the same in this. Looks like they might even have upgrades for them also. I dont like how they removed scope glint. you now have no clue where sniper is shooting from.

The 2 clips (1 clip loaded 1 spare) of ammo is great imo. You have to be tactical and not just spray and pray till you get more ammo. Besides most spawns have ammo and med stations close by.

I'm mostly playing medic and assault but do play support some. Assault is just super OP so it makes it a lot of fun. Medic was what I started with 1st and what I like doing to help. I really enjoy how the game is more tactical.

Never used smoke in any BF game I played but now I feel on my medic it's a must. I toss out smoke to run out and rez players or even go predator on people. It can be very fun to toss down smoke and move in to take people out with melee.

Assault is just great to play with the panzerfaust and stG44. Once you get the hang of shooting.the panzerfaust it's a beast. I love when I find a sniper in a house thinking he's safe guarding the steps. you run up and shoot the wall out and then the floor. Panzerfaust is also great at making breaches for attacking flags when fortifications are up.

I know it's only a beta and hopefully most bugs will be fixed. My biggest issues so far is people not showing on minimap when shooting. Also being a medic my self heal is a 50% chance of being broken. Nothing more annoying than having to run around with low hp cause cant heal. It just an easy kill for anyone at all.
  • Hrafn-Fel
    Btw I find BFV to be amazingly fun to play. I dont fall into the drama and nonsense that everyone else does.

I dont take offense in anything said or things they do ingame other than lootcrates. I dont like lootcrates and prefer to just buy straight items from store like TF2. I dont have an issue with lootcrates having only cosmetic items but I refuse to buy them. I do hate when lootcrates or anything is P2W.

I just want to play a game for the fun of it. BFV is a game I will definitely get my money's worth out of. Besides they are trying to do no lootcrates and no season pass.
  • Magikf1ngers
    4417 postsPosts: 4,467 mod
    So - I want to add to this, somehow I missed that this thread was here.

My biggest complaint about the BF:V Beta is that I misunderstood and thought you had to pre-order it to play it, so I only got Friday afternoon, and the weekend.

This brought back SO MUCH of the fun I had in the earlier (Pre BF: Hardline / BF:1 ) versions of Battlefield. I love the medic role, which I've never particularly cared for before. Until I can get a good flight stick, I suck as a Pilot, but I *love* playing gunner. I love playing squad leader, but what's missing is the overview Commander role - I hope that's put in before launch.

Graphics are awesome, but there is some clipping problems that I don't think they'll have much trouble ironing out. Tanks seem way OP, but I think that's mostly because there's just not a ton of AT weaponry. Mines, and I saw someone using an RPG type thing, but I never was able to unlock it and try it.

What did work was the molotov cocktail on a Tank - it did some good damage.

I'm excited for it now. I missed Titanfall Tuesday tonight because I was invited to turn in some of my advertising work for a local auto dealership to get into their Marketing Manager role. I'm hoping to get that job so that I can get BF: V as soon as I can afford it.

My only in-game issue:

I kept trying to wall-run and knee slide.

Oh - and like @ProjectBangarang - the first time I got blown back, I thought I was dead. I got a couple kills, and then died because I couldn't stand up fast enough.

Overall: BF:V gets a huge, double thumbs up.

The next Titanfall's got it's work cut out for it.
    Come find me on the PC side - Magikf1ngers - network SLACKERS UNITED

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
  • Hrafn-Fel
    @Magikf1ngers

Yes agree thanks felt OP cause really only one way to take them out. The panzerfaust (RPG) the assault had. The issue with panzerfaust was it was a mid level tool so not everyone had it. If a tank player had their tank upgrades it was nearly impossible unless 3 or more players attacked it. That's why players went k/d 100+/0 cause nobody could kill them fast enough.
  • Magikf1ngers
    Hrafn-Fel wrote: »
    @Magikf1ngers

Yes agree thanks felt OP cause really only one way to take them out. The panzerfaust (RPG) the assault had. The issue with panzerfaust was it was a mid level tool so not everyone had it. If a tank player had their tank upgrades it was nearly impossible unless 3 or more players attacked it. That's why players went k/d 100+/0 cause nobody could kill them fast enough.

Yep - that's one balance issue that they'll have to fix. But - beyond that, it's a LOT of fun to play. I *love* the M1 - they did that up right. That and the MP-44. I love the way the Medic works now - not just chucking something on the ground, and not just a quick hit with a defib to revive,

Engineer - I could never get the ammo pouch to work just right. Not sure why.

I did find that, with both MEdic and Assault - I like the semi-auto better than the autos. More accuracy, more damage. The autos are great for suppression - but the semi-autos rock for just flat combat.

I did manage, somehow, to accidentally get a very long range head-shot with Ruby, though - that was funny.

I'm hoping that this portfolio I put together for this potential job pans out so I can afford to get it.

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
  • Hrafn-Fel
    @Magikf1ngers

I like autos more but I really like how BF has different fire modes. The assault rifle in beta was great cause it had different rifle modes.

I mainly played medic cause I'm not great at shooting people. The medic I feel like Im still contributing even if not killing people. I feel support is more important in this game compared to BF1 so I also like it. The LMG weapon though felt very weak compared to other classes. But i know they were crazy OP on BF1 ps4.
  • Magikf1ngers
    @Hrafn-Fel

Yeah, a lot of the weapons felt over the top OP - but that may have been to juice it up and get more data from the beta test (e.g. - testing hit boxes, etc.). Hard to say - but hopefully they'll smooth it out a touch before release. I don't personally feel that there's a LOT of tweaking that needs to be done for balance, other than the tanks.

I will say that my favorite moments were as a Medic, underneath E in that parking garage, running around reviving squad members and keeping the battle going as they tried to assault us.

I also LOVE the ability to build barriers. I didn't even realize i could do that until one point when I accidentally started placing sandbags. Then .. I went a little over the top - I think I just bout completely closed off D point on Rotterdam or whatever it was (Navik was the snow map, right?) - there were teammates yelling about the point being closed off.

Oops.

Good times, though, and I'm very much looking forward to getting it - be it right at release or a month or so after.

I really feel like DICE stepped up the game here .. both COD and Titanfall have some work to do, but I'm not expecting COD to rise to the challenge.

• Hrafn-Fel
    @Hrafn-Fel

Yeah, a lot of the weapons felt over the top OP - but that may have been to juice it up and get more data from the beta test (e.g. - testing hit boxes, etc.). Hard to say - but hopefully they'll smooth it out a touch before release. I don't personally feel that there's a LOT of tweaking that needs to be done for balance, other than the tanks.

I will say that my favorite moments were as a Medic, underneath E in that parking garage, running around reviving squad members and keeping the battle going as they tried to assault us.

I also LOVE the ability to build barriers. I didn't even realize i could do that until one point when I accidentally started placing sandbags. Then .. I went a little over the top - I think I just bout completely closed off D point on Rotterdam or whatever it was (Navik was the snow map, right?) - there were teammates yelling about the point being closed off.

Oops.

Good times, though, and I'm very much looking forward to getting it - be it right at release or a month or so after.

I really feel like DICE stepped up the game here .. both COD and Titanfall have some work to do, but I'm not expecting COD to rise to the challenge.

You might get it cheaper around black Friday. I just hate being behind in my games for multiplayer so I gotta buy them day 1. But battlefield doesnt seem to ha e those issues as its quick enough to level up weapons for upgrades. Unless that changes we will have to see.
  • Magikf1ngers
    @Hrafn-Fel

Oops.

You might get it cheaper around black Friday. I just hate being behind in my games for multiplayer so I gotta buy them day 1. But battlefield doesnt seem to ha e those issues as its quick enough to level up weapons for upgrades. Unless that changes we will have to see.

Well - According to the official BF:V order page, it's not launching until Nov 20.

A lot can happen in that time, hopefully including me finally finding a job.

On that note - don't let ANYONE ever tell you that a lot of experience can make up for not having a degree. I bought into that, and .. no. That's not how it is.

• BlurriFace
    Now the beta is over and I tried out more of the game, here are more of my thoughts.

The assault class is too versatile, it was my go to when I really needed to sweat out a match. You have far more offensive options and about the only class that can deal with tanks. Every other class the best rank strategy is throw an incendiary/smoke and hide. The StG44 is just a tad too OP. It's magazine is larger than the two LMGs I used (granted, one round over the Bren). It's recoil is easily manageable so it's easy to land your shots. A slight increase to recoil is all I ask for. My favorite was the G43. Slapped the midrange scope on and I felt deadly on Narvick. M1A1 I didn't get time to find it's groove, but the higher ROF did help me CQB.

Medic was my favorite class to play. It was satisfying every time I pulled off a revive successfully. Also you have to be smart about it or otherwise you get yourself killed preventing cheesy revives. The second SMG was my least favorite and I never got the MP40. I thought SMGs were well balanced overall.

Support LMG never really was my thing. The KE7 I preferred to the Bren because the magazine doesn't block some of your view, but the Bren felt better for suppression. The anti-tank mines were underwhelming, I personally would rather the support class have Panzerfausts over the assault class so more than one class has a viable anti-tank option.

Recon was my second favorite class, the sniping was fun, but I don't always have the patience for it. If you're nailing headshots it's great, but one body shot means that you're opponent is far more likely to win the firefight with a full auto before you get a shot two. Never got the semiautomatic sniper but died to it at the end of the beta more than the Lee-Enfield. Never saw a Kar98K in the wild. I wish it had a slightly faster rechamber rate, or ADS. Or maybe I should git gud at headshots.

Tanks are a pain when upgraded, had one eat five rockets and live. There is subtlety I didn't notice that light tanks have faster turret turn rates, but I gotta have my Tiger ;) Didn't get much plane time, but managed to down a Stuka before losing a dogfight to another fighter. Almost had him too but lost him and worried too much about fixing my Spitfire. With all ground vehicles I found first person to be the best view to control. Also the Churchill Crocodile was the better reinforcement tank, and calling in the V1 was very satisfying. Getting a triple kill and destroying a heavily built up fortification: priceless.

Other gripes and moans: can't equip new unlocks without backing out of the lobby and visiting the company tab, weapon upgrades instead of attachments, feeling useless even when PTFO on a squad of snipers camping empty lanes. Overall experience was a blast. Had a lot more fun than with BF1. Definitely getting BFV come November
  • Hrafn-Fel
    Lol seems we are the only people that think tanks were too strong. I saw there is a post on bf forums talking about tanks needing bluffs. I guess 100 to 0 isnt good enough for people. :/
  • BlurriFace
    As a low level tank you die fast, when you shoot five Panzerfausts into a Valentine and it still kills you, that's Bravo Sierra. (On Rotterdam at point B. Shot my base two, hit the ammo point, and still didn't die. And pleanty of people mad about multiple assaults taking out their tiger.)
  • Magikf1ngers
    Tanks are entirely OP for the weaponry of the foot soldiers.

Saying that having a bunch attack a tank and taking it out fast is asinine - of COURSE that's going to be the case, eh?

• Hrafn-Fel
    Well from what I've heard from YouTube videos linked to twitter by the BFV account. They are looking at feed back and their data to make changes. So hopefully we will see changes with the new launch date.
  • BlurriFace
    They've already tweaked the reflex sight so it's easier to set through.

Also, fun trivia, reflex sights were in invented in the early 1900s. Germans had them on fighter aircraft in 1918. Due to power issues they weren't used on small arms but were used on planes and antiaircraft guns in WW2. There was examples of small arms reflex sights as early as 1945 like the Nydar for shotguns. http://www.forgottenweapons.com/nydar-reflex-sight/
  • Hrafn-Fel
    edited September 15
    BlurriFace wrote: »
    They've already tweaked the reflex sight so it's easier to set through.

Also, fun trivia, reflex sights were in invented in the early 1900s. Germans had them on fighter aircraft in 1918. Due to power issues they weren't used on small arms but were used on planes and antiaircraft guns in WW2. There was examples of small arms reflex sights as early as 1945 like the Nydar for shotguns. http://www.forgottenweapons.com/nydar-reflex-sight/

Yeah the bf5 forums were funny during 1st day of beta. People were complaining about how they didn't have sights like them. It was fun telling the uneducated people they did have sights like that.

It's funny seeing all these people say they are to uneducated to buy the game. It's even funnier to see they are fairly uneducated when it comes to WWII.
  • BlurriFace
    It was poor customer relations to say they were uneducated, but right at the same time. Growing real tired of all these neckbeards acting like women contributed zero to WW2 when BFV is all about exploring less known periods of WW2. I never heard about the battle of Narvick before the beta. There was so much more to WW2 instead of D-Day Omaha beach. Personally I hope dice doesn't neglect the Pacific campaign with Burma, Philippines, or even the Aleutian Islands campaign.
  • Hrafn-Fel
    BlurriFace wrote: »
    It was poor customer relations to say they were uneducated, but right at the same time. Growing real tired of all these neckbeards acting like women contributed zero to WW2 when BFV is all about exploring less known periods of WW2. I never heard about the battle of Narvick before the beta. There was so much more to WW2 instead of D-Day Omaha beach. Personally I hope dice doesn't neglect the Pacific campaign with Burma, Philippines, or even the Aleutian Islands campaign.

Agree
  • Magikf1ngers
    @BlurriFace - @Hrafn-Fel

I'm a bit of a WWII buff - and I can absolutely tell you that there is a TON more than the big wins we got in WWII. There was a huge part of WWII fought in Africa, like you said, Blurri - Philippines - Aleutian Islands - Burma - The whole mess with Guadalcanal - there's a TON of stuff to explore. Plus, in a lot of the Pacific campaigns, there were women involved in combat.

We can hope!

• Magikf1ngers

Nice! Sounds like a lot of good changes coming. I really like the fact that the systemic vehicle damage model isn't so torn down as it seemed in the beta. I also like that they're working to connect the aerial combat more with ground combat. It always has felt like there was two fights - the one in the air, and the one on the ground, and other than helos (which were not in WWII until the very, very end, and they were NOT capable of carrying weapons), the two never met.

What I'd like to see is some way of, if a vehicle has multiple slots, that they can make it so that a particular vehicle isn't just being wasted as their personal taxi. That's always been one of my pet peeves in Battlefield, and when we ran our own server, would be cause for being removed temporarily from the server. If you're jumping into a troop transport and bugging out while it's empty and there's teammates standing there, jumping up and down and screaming for a ride - that's not just rude, but it's a waste.

Overall - sounds like GREAT changes from the Beta which was actually already very well done. I love that they're doing more work on the netcode before launch. Hopefully, for once, there won't be major network issues at launch.

• Hrafn-Fel
    The changes sound great to me. I was a little disappointed that they seemed to be happy with how tanks are. I felt they were super strong and just let people farm kills. I hope they have a lot more ways to kill them besides mines and the panzerfaust. I do like that they are working on netcode and making people more visible. I was constantly changing my brightness cause I felt I just couldn't see anything a lot of times.
  • Magikf1ngers
    The changes sound great to me. I was a little disappointed that they seemed to be happy with how tanks are. I felt they were super strong and just let people farm kills. I hope they have a lot more ways to kill them besides mines and the panzerfaust. I do like that they are working on netcode and making people more visible. I was constantly changing my brightness cause I felt I just couldn't see anything a lot of times.

Yeah, the tanks were OP, but they also did say that there's a lighter class of tanks that will be more prevalent in the final version, and that - if memory serves - it's a progression, so it might not be that bad.

Plus, they also said they're working on more anti-tank options. All I know is those mines were pointless, and I never got the Panzerfaust to try it out - to me it looked like a primitive RPG.

I like the attrition idea of it - starting out with limited ammo and having to pick up more as you go. I'd even like to see it taken one step further so that, other than the ammo dumps (Which, I love the idea of taking out the placements and make them a fortification that needs to be built), you have to get ammo by taking it from someone carrying a simliar weapon. I don't know if it was that way during the beta, but I think that's the best way to implement that.

Still - it's going to be a ton of fun.

• Hrafn-Fel
    edited October 30
    Dice seems to really be trying to improve the game. I think this is the 1st game I've ever tested and by launch so much will be adjusted.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Nat0_o/status/1056863833447370753

TF2 was the only game that had many changes for a long time. Respawn changed a lot between beta week 1 and week 2. But I cant remember if anything else was changed by launch.
  • Magikf1ngers
    I've been following loosely as well (as much as my studies allow) and, from a 10,000 ft view, it really does seem like they're listening and making some very meaningful changes that will improve the experience before launch.

As opposed to COD that needed a 50 gb patch (if memory serves) before you could play it at launch.

I'm hoping I can afford to get it on pre-order, or shortly after launch, I'm stoked for it.

• Hrafn-Fel
    They also are removing the cosmetics that dont fit the era. So we wont see people running around in pink jackets and such.
  • Magikf1ngers
    They also are removing the cosmetics that dont fit the era. So we wont see people running around in pink jackets and such.

Awesome news. On mobile - I hate typing on my phone, and hate reading on my phone more, so more later.

• Magikf1ngers
    Just going to leave this here - the Battlefield V maps. Rotterdam and Narvik were the maps for the open Beta:

• Hrafn-Fel
    Just going to leave this here - the Battlefield V maps. Rotterdam and Narvik were the maps for the open Beta:

I saw one clip of some maps and they look just amazing. I will have to watch this video later cause I think what I saw was a sample of this.
  • Magikf1ngers

I saw one clip of some maps and they look just amazing. I will have to watch this video later cause I think what I saw was a sample of this.

They are - I'm going to watch it again just to get names, but there's an epic map that's all about Tanks, several that are heavy on infantry battles, one that's the biggest structure built for Battlefield games (a semi-destroyed steel bridge) - it all looks epic. Reminds me of the feeling I got during map previews for BF 1942. In fact, there's one - one the map they feature after Rotterdam - that reminds me very much of one of the 1942 maps in the way it feels. It's a city map, railroads, and fighting to protect resources.

I'm all amped up now. I need to find the money to pre-order.

Now I need to go wash the drool off my face.