Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Game ~~crashes~~ locks up (GPU) after a few minutes

Freyaday
1 postsPosts: 2
edited September 8
Platform: PC
Issue: Game freezes after a few minutes of gameplay. Audio continues to play, but no new images appear. Either the last frame remains onscreen, a solid color appears, or the screen turns black. Appears to be some sort of graphics crash; in windowed mode, desktop on other monitors flashes black, in fullscreen with gamebar enabled, the notification "Application has been blocked from accessing graphics hardware" appears.
Running the game with the VS2017 debugger attached reveals that it is not actually crashing, but merely locking up.
Consistency: 100%
Reproduce: Launch game. Run campaign for a few minutes.

CPU: AMD FX 8350
GPU: Nvidia GTX 980 (game and main monitor), Nvidia GTX 660Ti (other monitors)
Memory: 32GB

Comments

• Magikf1ngers
    4490 postsPosts: 4,543 mod
    Two things to try that fix this about 80% of the time:

First:

1. Start > Search > CMD <enter>
    2. Right-Click "Command Prompt" and click "Run as Administrator" (if you don't do this, nothing else will work)
    3. When the Command Prompt window opens, type in: sfc /scannow and press Enter. Wait for the scanning to finish at 100%.
    4. After it's complete - type the following command: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth <enter>
    5. When that's done, type in: DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth <enter>
    6. Reboot, and try again.

Second:

Without knowing the last time you updated your display drivers - that may fix it as well.

Beyond that, you'll need to contact EA Support.

- side bar -

I'm not sure why you have two separate GPUs set up. Typically people do it to power regular monitors for gaming, etc. - and then the slower GPU to power a touch screen or something like that.

In my experience (I've been building computers since 1984), I have yet to see that sort of set up work consistently without a lot of maintenance and upkeep - updating drivers, etc. The differing GPUs can cause all sorts of driver issues, etc.

I hope this helps - come back and let me know, if you wouldn't mind.

Come find me on the PC side - Magikf1ngers - network SLACKERS UNITED

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
  • Freyaday
    1 postsPosts: 2
    edited September 7
    I have two different GPUs because the 144Hz monitor that I have only does 144Hz over DVI-D, and the 980 only has one DVI-D port, whereas one of my other monitors only has a DVI port. (I had the 660Ti lying around).

I forgot to mention things I've already done:
    • Contacted EA support
    • Repaired game
    • sfc
    • dsim
    • chkdsk
    • Deleted Origin cache
    • Updated GPU driver (on 399.07 now, but this issue occurred the same on 398.82)
    • Ran game under different user
    • Clean boot
    • Changed desktop scaling in Nvidia control panel to "None" and "scale on GPU"
    • Turned game bar off
    • Turned adaptive resolution off
    • Turned AO off
    • Changed VRAM budget from 4GB to 3GB
    • Ran in windowed mode
    • Laid on the floor
    • Contemplated
  • Magikf1ngers
    4490 postsPosts: 4,543 mod
    edited September 7
    I've been there, I'm there with my wife's computer, but her's is a seemingly more serious issue, as one of the cores on her CPU is throwing off errors.

The only other thing I can think of to do here would be to remove one of the GPUs, uninstall and then reinstall the driver, and then try the game. If that works - great, put the other back in and see if it starts doing it again.

If it does -you know that GPU has likely gone bad (I'm looking at the 660ti here - that's a pretty aged GPU anymore)

The rest of what you did - I don't know if that's going to help, as this is almost guaranteed a video driver issue.

One final thought - IF it's installed - have you tried uninstalling any software that overlays the game - like anything you can record / stream video with, the GeForce Experience, etc? That could possibly be causing a problem as it may be confused between the two GPUs.

I'm honestly grasping here - my strong inclination here is that one of the GPUs has gone belly up, or they're just not playing together well.

How many displays do you have running? Do they require specific drivers (e.g. - touch screen?) that might be interfering or need to be updated?

Come find me on the PC side - Magikf1ngers - network SLACKERS UNITED

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot