Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Terrible Stutter/Stability

So perhaps this is an issue that I haven't noticed until now. But recently Rainbow 6 Siege free weekend was started, so I dropped off of titanfall 2 for a few days to play the game. I loved it.

ANYWAYS. As I was playing rainbow 6, I realized how great the game looked at 144fps on my 144hz monitor. It was great!

But today I came back to titanfall 2, and hopped into an online match. I started playing, and after playing rainbow I realized titanfall 2 wasnt running properly. 144hz and 60hz refresh rate look IDENTICAL, both rates having some stutter and tearing. It didnt matter if I turned V-sync to any possible setting, and If I dropped the resolution to 1080p and every setting as low as it can go/ turning the setting off. 144hz feels like im playing at 45fps, and its incredibly distracting. Its not smooth like 144hz should be, and Ive tried multiple games at 144hz- several need for speed games, battlefield, rainbow 6, and a few other games. Titanfall 2 is made out to be a stuttery mess by the other games, regardless of framerate.

Its really frustrating because coming back to the game, im having a really hard time looking past the terrible tearing/stutter with any game setting at any resolution. And Im sure its not a system bottleneck either.

SPECS:
EVGA Hybrid GTX 1080ti
I7 4790k
32gb DDR3
Dell 144hz 1440p G-sync gaming monitor

Ever since a content patch seemingly over a year ago, before I had my 1080ti (Back when I had a 960 2gb), the game has ran really oddly. My 960 and 8gb of ram suddenly had to play at much lower settings at a lower framerate, and I guess this all makes sense now. Its like respawn de-optimized the game to run badly.

Comments

• Magikf1ngers
    4490 postsPosts: 4,543 mod
    Video tearing is caused by the card putting out more frames than the monitor can accept. That's the long and the short of it. VSync should fix it - it should lock the video card's output to the monitor's refresh rate.

However - I think what your'e running into here is the age of the Source engine. If I remember correctly from when people were complaining about this at launch - you can only run 4K at 60 hz.

Remember, Source is 14 years old. It's had a lot of updates in that time, but at it's core, it's still 14 years old. When you were running it on the 960 - my guess is that you were running it in 1080i HD and probably at 60 FPS at best. No tearing.

VSync should fix it - if not, my suggestions would be to first:

Contact EA support. These are user forums, and while some of us have experience to try to help, most don't, and the majority of the folks in these forums are console players.

Contact your video card manufacturer. They should be able to help.

I can tell you that I can match you spec for spec except for my video card, which is a 1060 GTX 6 gb RAM. I'm not having tearing issues, but I'm also running it in simple HD and having no issues. I'm doing that because I want more than 60 fps, and I average around 150 fps, give or take depending on the map and what's going on. I use the nVidia GeForce Experience, and let it optimize the game, then make my own tweaks on top of it.

I hope that helps - and I apologize I don't have more info for you. However - the other bottom line of this game is this: The support for this game ended in December of 2017. There has been no updates since then, so if it was working for you before you took the time off, and now it's not, likely something has changed in your set up (probably drivers) that's causing the issue.

Also - one final thought - my wife was running a 960 GTX in her system until I updated it to a 1050 ti. I finally had to completely wipe her drive and reinstall Windows to get it to recognize the 1050 ti as that, instead of as the 960 GTX. There was something b0rked with the driver that had it stuck on that 960.

Good luck - please post up if you find a solution so we can help others that might come in asking the same question.

Come find me on the PC side - Magikf1ngers - network SLACKERS UNITED

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
  • ringwyrm0
    58 postsPosts: 67
    FWIW...

I used Nvidia control panel to override every single setting of this game. I did all my adjustments in a profile in Nvidia Control Panel, and I was able to get ~120fps. I'm running on a beefy laptop with a 1070, but because of lack of cooling and so on... I don't think I'll be getting better than that.
  • ringwyrm0
    58 postsPosts: 67
    FWIW...

I used Nvidia control panel to override every single setting of this game. I did all my adjustments in a profile in Nvidia Control Panel, and I was able to get ~120fps. I'm running on a beefy laptop with a 1070, but because of lack of cooling and so on... I don't think I'll be getting better than that.