Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Terrible Lag/Ping on Multiplayer in Evenings (US)

Online speeds have been TERRIBLE for a number of weeks now. People are complaining all over the forums. The worst times seem to be in the evenings. Pings will jump from 30 to 50 to 100 to 500 to even 2000+. The game is completely unplayable when this happens. PLEASE try to resolve this issue SOON.

Comments

• Yep, I can attest to this. Playing on XB1 in NA, closest data center SLC. Provider is Cox Internet, and this lag problem happens even when the XB1 is the only device connected to my wifi. Benchmark speeds 2081 kB/s upload, 290 kB/s download, 11 ms ping.
  • Magikf1ngers
    4485 postsPosts: 4,538 mod
    Yep, I can attest to this. Playing on XB1 in NA, closest data center SLC. Provider is Cox Internet, and this lag problem happens even when the XB1 is the only device connected to my wifi. Benchmark speeds 2081 kB/s upload, 290 kB/s download, 11 ms ping.

You do realize you're commenting on a post that's four months old?

A couple of things:

1. From a network standpoint - you shouldn't be trying to play over WiFi. There's too many variables that can cause interference. Baby monitors, garage door openers, cordless phones and much more can cause temporary interference with the WiFi. Especially the baby monitors, as they usually have an extended range. You should be using a direct network cable between your cable modem and your XBox.
    2. Your "Benchmark" - how did you get that? That's just measuring your speed between your network and whatever speed test you're working with. It could be awesome - but the route between you and the SLC data center could be awful.

Plus - are sure it's Kbps? That's about a 20 megabit connection, when most cable connections anymore are in the hundreds. I pay extra for mine with XFinity here in Seattle, and I'm getting 450 mbps - which would be 450000 kbps.

That being said - 20 mbps should still be playable, just not on WiFi.

I'm not saying that's THE problem - but you should make your network the best it can be to eliminate that as any sort of issue. I'm honestly not picking on you - I want to help, and I've been in networking since the 1980s before the internet was a blip on most folks' radar.
    Come find me on the PC side - Magikf1ngers - network SLACKERS UNITED

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
  • Magik,

Yes, I understand what you're saying, and I know you're not picking on me. I only commented on this post because the problem I am having is similar to the problem stated in this thread, so I figured I'd just comment here so you don't have to look at an entirely new thread. And I realize now I didn't even describe the specific problem I'm having, so I'll do that in more detail below.

I'm getting these lag spikes about every 5 minutes or so when I'm in a match, doesn't really matter what type, as I usually play 6 different modes (attrition, CTF, Amped Hardpoint, PvP, Bounty Hunt, and Titan Brawl). My ping in a typical match runs about 60-80 ms, close to the time between the SLC server and my console (30-50 ms). But about every 4-5 minutes, I will start experiencing bad lag where my ping jumps up to 200-700 ms about every third measurement, or about once per second, lasting for about 20-30 seconds. On rare occasions, the ping has jumped to 1100-1200 ms, and a couple times, rang in at 5500+ ms. This problem happens even when I know all other devices in my house are either off or asleep and shouldn't be using WiFi.

I know for a fact that we don't have baby monitors in our house, and as far as I'm aware, none of the neighboring houses have any either. What makes me think this is a separate issue than just interference is because the lag spikes are pretty consistently occurring and consistent in timing. (I wish I could put in a wired connection for the XB1, but the way we had to set it up, there's no wired port nearby.) The benchmark I mentioned is in KB/s, which in Mbps translates to about 16.0-17.0 upload, 2.00-2.40 download. Our plan is a more basic plan, but even four months ago, the game would run just fine on the console with these speeds.

I found out that Cox did recently make a price change to their plans, but I know that our plan didn't change, so I don't think that would have anything to do with it. Regarding their service, they have always been pretty consistent with their connections and speeds. I don't think there's any throttling going on, but I could be wrong.

I hope that this description helps a little better to diagnose what the specific issue might be. If you do know, I would appreciate your advice on what to do to fix it. Thank you again for responding to the comment, even though the thread is old.
  • Magikf1ngers
    So - before I get too deep into this - is it every 5 minutes like clockwork? Maybe not literally every 300 seconds, but you get what I'm saying - regular intervals that are equal and spread out?

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
  • Magikf1ngers
    So - here's why I'm asking about the regular intervals (which - after reading this while not being talked to off screen, it looks like it is) -

If something is seeking - say you have your cordless phone away from it's base - it pings for the base every so often just to maintain the connection. It could be that, it could be an inactive controller for your XBox that's turned on but not doing anything, it could be a cordless mouse looking for a laptop that's been turned off, it could be any one of a large number of items. Also - when I talked about the baby monitors / garage door openers, that's just the start of the list, so don't think that those are the end of it.

I'm NOT saying you're not having an issue by any stretch. If you go through the past postings in these forums, you'll see that I think the network infrastructure and architecture are inherently flawed. It's set up and treated more like cloud storage than it is a game network. That doesn't mean it's a bad network, just the wrong design for it's purpose.

I'd suggest try setting it up with an RJ-45 cable first - make sure it's shielded, and give it a shot. Don't run it next to any power / video cables or anything, give it it's own run. Try that and see if you're still having the same issue.

My next question would be - do you see this happening when you're doing anything else? If you know how - run a ping and let it run for a minute or two to a specific address. I'm not looking so much at what the ping time is, just the consistency.

If you see the same issue - contact Cox and tell them what's happening. Now - if you are on the low tier, they may shrug and say, "You want to play, you have to pay." However - 20 mpbs, while not optimum, should be okay to game with. ****, I used to game on an ISDN connection that was 128k over standard telephone lines back in the original Quake and UT days.

However - if there's a regular ping issue, it might be with the network node for your house / neighborhood. You won't see it streaming like Netflix or Hulu, because they buffer, and web browsing and whatnot isn't a steady stream like gaming is.

If that's not the issue, try a different data center, even if it's a higher ping. For the first 9 months or so, there was all kinds of weird lag issues that I did a huge experiment with that I documented in the main forums. The bottom line is - even though I'd get a 10-20 ms ping time to the Oregon data center, I got better connections when I connected to data centers with a 40-70 ping. Not sure exactly where you're at, but you may want to look at the server list and find the next closest one to you. Even if it's a higher ping, the steadiness will outweigh the higher ping time - make sense?

The reason I'm trying to help you be pro-active is that Respawn stopped support for TItanfall 2 back in December, when they put out the last maintenance patch. I don't see them doing anything to correct any issues, as that was the announced end of support for the game.

I just want you to enjoy the game because it's a completely awesome, beautiful experience in multiplayer and you should be able to enjoy it.

• Magik,

I followed your suggestions above and I think the problem is due to a couple of issues. I do think there is a problem with our neighborhood's network node, but I also think there is some inconsistency in the Respawn data centers.

I ran the long ping test as you suggested above and I did see latency jumps in there similar to those in the game. With a couple consecutive Speedtests, I noticed that occasionally, the speed will drop to 2.0 Mbps upload, 0.2 Mbps download. We did have a couple strong storms move through our area in the last week, so I don't know if the main node was affected, but I am wondering if it is a possibility.

I also tried a different data center as you suggested. I switched to the Dallas data center and the lag seemed to smooth out for one match, but then shortly returned. Talking to others who were playing online, they did say that they noticed they were having issues as well.

Any other thoughts?
  • Magikf1ngers
    @SaberMaster2684

1. Contact your provider about the ping issues. If there's any way you can record it, then do that so you can show them. Explain to them that it's causing issues with your gaming and streaming, and they should look into it. The number one problem getting them to fix the neighborhood stuff is not reporting it. If they don't fix it the first time, keep reporting it.

However, to make sure that you can eliminate everything - make sure you're connected via cable to the provided device that they gave you. Otherwise, they'll tell you they can't do anything since it's WiFi, or since you're using something other than what they gave you. (This is what made me finally stop buying my own equipment and using theirs)

2. The data centers that Respawn uses aren't the best. Fact is, right now, they don't support the game any longer, so I'm not sure how far this will get. My advice on that one is to keep trying different servers until you get an acceptable game play experience. I have four that work well for me from up here near Seattle, and believe it or not - three of them are not close. One of the Oregon centers is one, but then NYC, Dallas, and SLC provide the best experiences for me.

I hope it helps. Beyond that, contact EA support and report it all - I have quite a few times. That's the only way they're going to take notice.

• Ok, thanks! I really appreciate the help.
  • Magikf1ngers
    Ok, thanks! I really appreciate the help.

Anytime - please let me know how it turns out!

• So good news! The lag problem has reduced significantly. I'm not seeing that issue anymore regularly, only every once in a while. And by once in a while I mean it's only happened once in the past three weeks-ish, and it was for a very short time :smiley: