Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Possible to be top on scoreboard without using Titans?

I play Titanfall almost exclusively because of the super agile player movement, I loath the titans because they move so horrible.
The Problem is: At late (or really early) hours I have really problems finding players, so I play modes like attrition and other heavy Titan based game modes -- Where I mostly avoid using titans.

But even if I really try I get at best to the middle of the scoreboards, and I think that's a proper representation of how good I am: Very mediocre.
Do I have any chance to get to the top from time to time when I never use Titans?

(In Titan free modes I reached that target from time to time.)

Comments

• ringwyrm0
    58 postsPosts: 67
    Yes, it's absolutely possible. I have been top 3 or MVP on numerous occassions without calling a single titan. I've killed as many as 8 titans as a pilot in one match.

• ElectronicAss
    4 postsPosts: 5
    edited December 2017
    ringwyrm0 wrote: »
    Yes, it's absolutely possible. I have been top 3 or MVP on numerous occassions without calling a single titan. I've killed as many as 8 titans as a pilot in one match.
    Interesting, that's good to read. Did that also happen in heavy titan based modes, like Attrition?
    And which loadout did you use to kill the titans?
  • ringwyrm0
    58 postsPosts: 67
    EPG/smoke/archer/grapple or amped

EPG does a decent amount of damage against titans.
  • RedShield75
    1332 postsPosts: 1,420 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I play Titanfall almost exclusively because of the super agile player movement, I loath the titans because they move so horrible.
    The Problem is: At late (or really early) hours I have really problems finding players, so I play modes like attrition and other heavy Titan based game modes -- Where I mostly avoid using titans.

But even if I really try I get at best to the middle of the scoreboards, and I think that's a proper representation of how good I am: Very mediocre.
    Do I have any chance to get to the top from time to time when I never use Titans?

(In Titan free modes I reached that target from time to time.)

Want a suggestion? Use the titan, but don't embark it often. @OdysseyHome wrote this awesome guide on: How to play WITH Auto-Titans. (found in the Tips and Tricks section) I highly recommend you spend the time reading it.

However for your question, you are probably going to need a playstyle change. Other players get titans, and with those they earn a lot of points. Not using a titan is handicapping yourself, but it should be possible. You will need a way to take down titans easily, and also be consistent in killing pilots, titans, and possibly even grunts.
    To make this easier, you will need to bring the loadouts that work best for this.
    Suggestions:
    Sidewinder (SMR): Very nice gun with a large learning curve. (as in it takes awhile to get used to the pilot killing side of it due to the projectiles) Can take down a Northstar (three bars of health + Doomed) in.... 3 mags? and then 2 mags when amped. (I can't remember if that's right, but its really fast) Take note, helps to fire at the critical spots. ( like, A LOT)
    Archer: High damage, high satisfaction. Watch out for thermal shields, vortex shields, Sword Block, and Gun Shields. Try to catch titans in cross fires where you can shoot them from behind while they are distracted up front
    Satchels: Throw one or both on board and then trigger them. You will find that almost have of the Scorchs's health is gone or the Northstar is just about doomed. Put a satchel on a titan that is in doomed state with a little chunk of health missing and KABOOM the titan is killed when you trigger the explosion.
    Thunderbolt: Very nice for just chipping a lot of damage in one shot for times when you can't stay exposed long. Trade off is it misses easy.
    MGL: etc.
    Charge Rifle: etc.
    A-Wall: Stops you in place but is very effective with Archer, SMR, and the MGL. If you have trouble with titans running up to melee you try rodeoing them. If you time it right you dodge the melee and hit the safespot
    Cloak: Good cover for your satchels and allowing you to get an "early lead" on your Archer. Pair with Low Profile. Also good for hovering around enemy titans with out them knowing it.
    Amped Weapons: Resets the ammo in the cartridge AND amps it? Very powerful. Pair with the SMR, Archer, MGL, etc.

Try to engage in areas with escape routes you can easily enter that provide cover, for example tunnels are great as you can wall kick off the sides of them and pick up speed while getting cover. Try to attack while the enemy is engaged fighting someone else, if not keep those escape routes open. Don't camp with the A-wall, just put Tactikill on your gun and Power Cell on your pilot and you will have an A-wall every 30 seconds.
    Good Luck!
    Help I'm trapped in a signature factory
  • Thanks for the tips :)
    But first: Don't like the Titan Buddy system, read the whole guide, but feels like babysitting to me, annoying.
    I tried sidewinder with A-Wall and I liked what I could get out of it. But against pilots on long distance? The rockets move far too slow, can recommend it only on close maps, or the enemy is gone till the rockets moved 3/4 of their way. I mean, if I follow a fast moving enemy on its way the rockets spread too far apart. And good players run unpredictable, so I can't target where I think the enemy will be.

Charge Rifle and Archer? Well, I tried both, but even with A-Wall it takes relatively long to bring down a titan. It still feels cumbersome and slow. And slow is nothing this game is about, at least for me :/
    And in the end, even without camping, I'm still a sitting duck, get spotted and killed far more often then with my normal, far more agile playstile.

Amped weapons are nice, but still no revelation for me.

And the sneak attacks? I really tried that, but think it's cumbersome too, it feels like half of the time I don't do anything but waiting for the right moment. More sneaking and watching than attacking, while the enemy collects point after point.

I gave up. On game start I'm often enough place 2 or even 1 of 6 and soon after the titans fall I'm fighting hard to stay on 5th, rarely reaching 4th place.

So now I'm running around in titans and often get 3rd place in my team, even when my team is winning. Without titans it was clear, when I got the rare 1st place on the scoreboard: My team will lose with: Half of the points of the winning team -- Which proofs how mediocre I am.

I tried so long without titans because in Titanfall 1 it was a dream: Autotitan, me and my Car (almost everybody was using the Car Rifle exclusively) and I would get easily on the top of the scoreboard. The Autotitans were a lot more effective in the 1st part. Without the slightest baby sitting.
    To be honest: I started playing late after release, and it felt like most pros already left and the game was filled with "I got this game for 10$ -- let's try it for 20 hours, then never touch it again".
  • ElectronicAss
    edited December 2017
    Wow!
    I used Titans now only for a short time and now I finished my first Attrition match with being MVP, while the game was filled with skilled players. Yes it is already later, and that game wasn't filled with the most badass players I've seen so far, but still really good.
    Did I reach that in e. g. Live Fire? Rarely, but it happened, in Attrition? Never, only maybe a few times at 4 am, when the server was full with alcohol- or sleep-drunken players where I thought: OMG, how couldn't I beat that.
    Yes, the Titans movement sucks, no wallruns, no jumping around, no nothing, but ****...
    I really want to be nr. 1 from time to time.
  • ElectronicAss
    edited December 2017
    Current State:
    I raised quickly my average score, but now I'm matched against much more skilled players, so that I don't have the chance anymore, like in earlier games, to dominate the pre-titan game. Because playing without Titans tricked the matchmaking into thinking I was a much worse player and matched me with players who were actually much worse than me (of course only worse in PvP).
    My Kill/Death ratio (against players, don't count bots) actually rose from 0.5, which is perfect for a matchmaking system, to 0.7, I got much tougher enemies in the last games, so I think that will adjust soon.

And the root problem: I selected to play Attrition and Live Fire but only got Attrition in the late hours. The big mass of players still very, very much prefers Attrition, can't do anything against that.

Plus: The game is getting old, playing with a vehicle, like in Unreal Tournament 2004 Onslaught, is a nice change for a while.