Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Guide for adjusting sensitivity using advanced settings (controllers)

OdysseyHome
1583 postsPosts: 1,647 ✭✭✭
I've recently been playing around with these settings to find the right sensitivity for me. Since there is a lot of options to toy with it's easy to get overwhelmed and find it difficult to know how to modify the options to get the desired effect. I've consequently developed a 'calibration methodology' that progressively modifies settings in a sequential order so that finding the right sensitivity is easy and quick. Task about 5-10 minutes with practice, but generally 30 minutes if just starting to play / or are learning to adapt to a better personalised sensitivity.

This guide assumes using default console controllers.

1. Initial calibration

The advanced settings are grouped into Controller, Hipfire, and ADS catagorise. Begin by make all settings in the latter 2 groups zero. Doing this helps you progressively build your sensitivity from the ground up and makes you more sensitive to how certain dials modify the feel of the input.

Next step is to make dead zone set to zero. You then flick the control stick from side to side forcefully then release it and watch the screen. If your aim turns without your input increase the deadzone by one increment then repeat. When you don't notice any non-input turning increase the deadzone by one more incriment for insurance.

Deadzone calibration is important because it defines the minimum input required for aiming. If you have a good controller even the default console ones, you can generally set the deadzone a bit lower than the default values so dead zone calibration can be important.

The outer threshold deadzone reduces the maximum input range very slightly incase the analouge stick gets sticky near the out side, and takes a while to move back to idel upon input release. If you don't experience this you can set this to zero, which allows you to physically feel when you're aim will activate the extra turning sensitivities.

Response curve is a very important but somewhat difficult option to set up. Begin by setting to zero which creates linear input. Begin by moving your thumb horizontally and very finely and precisely untill you reach max sensitivity, then do it the opposite side, then vertically. The thing you're feeling for is when your thumb feels comfortable somewhere in the middle from idle and max input that you'd like sensitivity to begin to accelerate. This is what the tool tip "too low feels too twitchy, too high feels too dull" means.

In my experience I prefer a slightly lower response curve than the default setting because I can move my thumb very precisely and finely. This means that I can flick my thumb to aim quickly at targets or where they're going; making drag shots and ADS aiming more responsive and twitchy, which can help with highly mobile pilots and titans. If you have difficult with fine inputs due to thick thumbs or big hands then a higher response curve will assist you more. Focus on finding the stick angle you want sensitivity acceleration to begin and then increase the response curve until it feels right.

An important thing to not is that this accerlation should not be mistaken for fast turning via extra yaw and pitch when you push stick to maximum. You want to make the response curve give you a central fine aim zone and an outer extreme turning zone, with the ring created being you're 'flick' aiming zone. Once you set up hipfire and ADS sensitivities come back to the response curve and see if it needs minor adjustments.

I recommend keeping target compensation / aim-assist on because when you move with mobility in this game, it can be hard to precisely aim at targets. The only annoiance is that in crowded battles the compensation can stick to the wrong target esspecially if it overlaps at different ranges. This has been addressed with patches so target compensation isn't as obnoxious, but be mindful that ejecting titans are still counted as targets and will dampen your sensitivity and pull your aim onto them while moving perpendiculate to them.

2. Basic Hip fire

Start with x-axis hip fire as this influences you ability to aim mobility moves, lead ordinance throws, and wall run precisely; then move onto y-axis hipfire which influences head shot / weakspot hitting (and projectile bullet drop compensation) and ordinance throw distance. Focus on them one at a time before attempting to calibrate both together.

First try the 0 setting to feel the minimum value possible then set the sensitivity value to default. This will help if you feel if you want to go lower rather than higher relative to the defaults.

Slowly move stick horizontally left and right for x-axis input, or up and down for y-axis input. Then incriment the setting up until the setting feels right.

The next step is to test if this is what your muscle memory expects. You do this by an exercise I call 'rapid target pointing'. Load a map and find environmental props or features on walls, at different ranges. A good area are the targets or weapon racks in the guantlet but you have limited weapon options. Another place is forward base Kodai near the back of the map with the containers. Can aim between the decals on the wall, and use sky line features like trees, and annenta to practive rapid target pointing for y-axis sensitivities. Any map can do as long as you find things you can look at that are at different distances from you (close, medium, long, extreme long).

To do rapid target pointing the objective is to select a prop, then as quickly as possible turn your aim to look precisely at that prop without thinking. Do this between several points and different ranges and observe if you over aim or under aim or a bang on target. I like to use the wing-man elite to test hip-fire precision because it's dot is dead centre, so you can tell how precise you are being. If you under aiming consistently increase sensitivity; and vice versa for the opposite conditions. If pointing at long range is too difficult but close range is precise, increase response curve; and vice versa for the opposite.

The best gun to use to do hip-fire calibration is the wing-man elite because it's hip-fire crosshair is a dead centre dot. This way you can tell how precise you are.

One thing to consider is the difference between x-axis and y-axis sensitivities. Setting them to similar values can make feeling the influence of your aim difficult, and can cause you to aim up or down while attempting to aiming horizontally. It is general convention to have pitch some ticks lower than your horizontal sensitivity. When you can precisiely rapid target point at props on diagonals, remember the difference between you x and y axis; as this difference you'd want to maintain for your ADS values generally.

The next step is to do the rapid pointing exercise with incorporate strafing and mobility. Start with strafing. The exercise is called 'counter strafe target compensation'. Aim at a point / prop at different ranges, and strafe in one direction while aiming in the opposite direction so that you're aim always looks at that point. If you find this difficult, adjust your sensitivities. If you rotational aim went too far beyond the point reduce sensitivity, but if your strafing moved you off target increase it. If you find that you initially aim at the target precisely but over time drift over or under aim, tweak the response curve (high or lower, respectively):

The next step is to progress this to a boost slide. Where you position yourself perpendicular to the prop, sprint, boost slide, turn to rapidly look at the target 90 or 45 degrees to you (at different ranges), and then try to maintain looking at the target during the move. You can also try doing a wall run jump and trying to track a prop as you fly through the air. This is most fun to practice with the L-Star / wingman elite for projectile weapons and the volt for hip fire weapons (both have perfect hipfire accuracy). Finally, try doing this with a double jump to test vertical input sensitivity

The reason for this procedural process is to discover if the sensitivity you've accepted and learned is actually hindering your accessibility to the games weapon and mobility. Weapons are designed to be used with mobility differently, so knowing how to slide and shoot together can greatly improve your use of projectile weapons like grenadiers, mastif, kraber. If you stick with a default that doesn't work for you, it encourages reliance on hit-scan weapons to counter pilots that use mobility moves, and are thus difficult targets to hit.

Being able to maintain hip-fire precision at long range targets is important in titanfall due to ordiance like stars but also because hip-fire accuracy and range is rather long. You can often kill pilots by using hipfire and mobility together rather than ADS. Use ADS to increase you're weapon's precision at range, or to tighten the spread of bullets.

4. ADS aiming

Repeat the process for hip-fire with ADS but be mindful how you want ADS behaviour to function. By default the game has a higher hip-fire sensitivity and a lower ADS, but I personally prefer the opposite so I can drag scope sniper rifles, and use ordiannce with greater precision (such as satchels for anti-titan bombing and pilot trapping). I also like this behaviour because leading projectile weapons becomes a lot faster, in my experience. However, if you're used to games like COD or Destiny the default is more analogus to those games so it's worth experimenting to see which way you prefer.

Once you have calibrate both hip-fire and ADS you can now practice rapid point targeting together. Look at a target but try to ADS onto it in one smooth motion. Also try different weapon types to see if you calibration feels right with them.

3. Extra yaw and pitch, with ramp up time and delay

I've seperated these settings into a seperate section rather because you generally want them to feel somewhat similar between Hip and ADS. You want to maintain the relative increase of the extra sensitivity when at maximum, and the delay and ramp up time it takes to hit maximum.

First set maximum yaw and pitch to the maximum setting and delay and smoothing to minimum, then hold your stick at maximum horizontal or vertical while non-ADSing and ADSing. Find an extra yaw and pitch value that you are comfortable with; one that doesn't make you puke due to motion sickness, but one that doesn't make you feel like your turning too slowly. If you find a good turning speed but find the sensitivity causing the screen to blur and be hard to read, leave it as you can adjust this via the smoothing ramp up time value.

I personally deactivated ramp delay because it felt laggy to me, but some people may like it due to it giving a visual cue to extra yaw / pitch activation if you're not even handed. Tests that can help find the right settings for your muscle memory are difficult due to map design. You want to ideally find an area with props around you that you can rapid point target to see if the extra yaw is calibrated correctly. But an comparable test is to do a 360 spin off a single point you start at and try to land back on it in the fastest time you can manage without the screen becoming to difficult to read. Can advance this into jumps and double jumps, and horizontal slides like previous exercises so that aimin comes automatically.

Vertical testing is a bit more harder because of y-axis rotation lock: can only look vertically in 180 degree turn. A okay test is to do 'middle finding'. You aim at your feet with hip or ADS and then try to aim so your aim is parallel to the floor (looking straight ahead) but this can be difficult to tell precisely unless you find a wall decal that's somewhat level with forward facing aim. Can then inverses this exercise by looking forward then going straight up, resetting, then straight down. Colony and exoplanet towers are somewhat useful for this exercise, pick a spot on the tower and try to point at it as fast as you can. Can calibrate effectively.

Be mindful that you want try aiming at points that are off screen or require maximum input to get too so that you can feel the effect of extra yaw and pitch. You want to make it so that the transition of the response curve acceleration into the extra yaw once a maximum input is smooth and predictable (basically as similar as possible). Generally I find that a extra yaw that is basically double your aiming sensitivity is somewhat okay but can be slightly high or lower (need to find this yourself don't trust the setting ticks as they are not standardised). The most important thing is the smoothing in my experience.

4 Whole aim testing

Once you're calibrated everything its time to test everything in actual gameplay.

Start by playing private atrrition o try to head shot the minions with different weapons. Do this about five times.

Progress to private bounty hunt so can practice pilot vs titan combat. Try this a couple of times with different ordiannce and AT weapons.

After this, load bounty hunt and test if your pilot sensitivities feel right your different titans. In my experience I find northstar and ronin appear to have some hidden sensitivity buffers to extra yaw / pitch. This is for balence and to give titans a feeling of weight, so focus on seeing if you can still be accurate with the weapons by point shooting minions as quickly as you can, and seeing if transition from hip to ADS fire feels right. This is important since some titans have alternative fire mods accessed through ADS, and some titans have extended range / find long shots easier if you ADS.

With titans resist the urge to change sensitivity if it feels off if you're pilot aiming is spot on accurate and consistent. Make small individual changes to see if things help so that you can keep track of things and don't confuse yourself and have to recalibrate; I've done this several times and recalibration can be boring but nessicary.

Finally, the big test is to play some games of FD and then MP to see if you can shoot without thinking. Play 5 games and if something feels wrong make a slight adjustment, then play another 5 games. The procedures here helps teach what settings do what so you can make customisation more easily after going through the process.

Conclusion

Hope this helped people out. I'll try to include videos of the exercises to illustrate.