Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Ion in Frontier Defense

RedShield55
1366 postsPosts: 1,456 ✭✭✭
Ion, despite being my favorite titan and the one I usually main in Multiplayer, is the one I haven't used (besides Tone) in Frontier Defense like at all.
What should I give her in terms of kits?
I didn't use her because she seemed to be more of a "pick a target, and focus your fire" titan with no splash damage or AOE except tripwire, so should I take Zero point wire? Or should I take Grand Cannon? I tried that but only got my core twice. Should I take refraction lens? I tried that and it worked out sort of, but I want to know if there is a better option.
Help?
Help I'm trapped in a signature factory

Comments

• Hellow Bro, remember me The Noob.. ha2. Gen4 now.

She is my main Titan now. Bored using Tone and Legion.

I use Overcore and Zero Tripwire. Her energy is more manageable with Zero TripWire + I love Trip Wire. Only this one has good damage and can wipe out minion horde quickly.

At first I kinda dislike her, because besides her Laser Core, the other weapon is very weak (even killing 1 specter is very hard using splitter rifle) and you need good aim. Even though from her stats the difficulties only 1 star (easy), but using her is not easy. We have to be very patient in using her, going back and fort using trip wire, laser shot, splitter rifle, and repeat + we have to manage the energy effectively. If not you cant vortex shield if enemies attack you.

Now I find her more fun to use, better than Legion and Tone (She is the one who suppose to be got 1 star in diffculties). Ion is a very versatile Titan, depend on how you use her, she can go toe to toe with every Titan. In my opinion Her Vortex Shield is the best defensive tool in TF 2. it cover up your body and you can use it while running.
  • Kabanyash_
    24 postsPosts: 25
    Ion just falls behind other Titans because it doesn't have a unique strength.
  • RedShield55
    Kabanyash_ wrote: »
    Ion just falls behind other Titans because it doesn't have a unique strength.

Yeah Ion is really nice in Multiplayer, but she just seems to fail in Frontier Defense.
    I hope Aegis ranks become the norm for multiplayer, as they are awesome, and if they do I want my Ion to be ready.
  • Kabanyash_
    edited September 2017
    I don't know much about PvP, unfortunately.
    Main issue with Ion for me is you need energy for everything, other titans don't have this restriction. Apart from maybe Monarch which is kind of similar in that regard because if you have no upgrades you're not at maximum potential, same as Ion without energy, but it has free shields. You often don't have energy for Vortex, while Tone can quickly deploy a wall and still deal damage. Laser Shot to weak spots deals a lot of damage, but Northstar has a 6 shot rifle made for it. Tripwire < Incendiary Trap. And main weapon without splitting is probably the 2nd weakest. Laser Core is a beast with the last upgrade, though. You can fire it pretty much infinitely as long as there are suitable targets to kill.
    Shoop_5d0948_5337575.gif
    All in all the tactic I'm using Ion is weirdly kind of similar to Ronin, difference is in staying at medium range. Laser Shot to weak spots, you can fire 3 pretty quickly with all Aegis upgrades. On Normal difficulty it is enough to destroy Mortar titans or Ronins, reapers die with 1 crit hit. Something bigger I Laser Shot and fire single Splitter until doomed state and then finish off quickly with splitted Splitter. Tripwire is good against grunts, ticks, specters and reapers, and Zero kit is crucial as energy is very precious for other things. You can throw it between lasering and shooting as well for a bit more damage to big titans. Vortex is good for catching Scorch bombs, Legion power shots or Mortar titan rockets, if you have energy, but I usually opt for dashes or natural cover to avoid receiving damage. Before activating the core it is best to make sure there are 3-4 titans together with at least 1 laser crit hit each and already used dashes/defensive abilities so you can fire away freely with guaranteed kills for prolonging the laser.
  • RedShield55
    Kabanyash_ wrote: »
    I don't know much about PvP, unfortunately.
    Main issue with Ion for me is you need energy for everything, other titans don't have this restriction. Apart from maybe Monarch which is kind of similar in that regard because if you have no upgrades you're not at maximum potential, same as Ion without energy, but it has free shields. You often don't have energy for Vortex, while Tone can quickly deploy a wall and still deal damage. Laser Shot to weak spots deals a lot of damage, but Northstar has a 6 shot rifle made for it. Tripwire < Incendiary Trap. And main weapon without splitting is probably the 2nd weakest. Laser Core is a beast with the last upgrade, though. You can fire it pretty much infinitely as long as there are suitable targets to kill.
    Shoop_5d0948_5337575.gif
    All in all the tactic I'm using Ion is weirdly kind of similar to Ronin, difference is in staying at medium range. Laser Shot to weak spots, you can fire 3 pretty quickly with all Aegis upgrades. On Normal difficulty it is enough to destroy Mortar titans or Ronins, reapers die with 1 crit hit. Something bigger I Laser Shot and fire single Splitter until doomed state and then finish off quickly with splitted Splitter. Tripwire is good against grunts, ticks, specters and reapers, and Zero kit is crucial as energy is very precious for other things. You can throw it between lasering and shooting as well for a bit more damage to big titans. Vortex is good for catching Scorch bombs, Legion power shots or Mortar titan rockets, if you have energy, but I usually opt for dashes or natural cover to avoid receiving damage. Before activating the core it is best to make sure there are 3-4 titans together with at least 1 laser crit hit each and already used dashes/defensive abilities so you can fire away freely with guaranteed kills for prolonging the laser.

I can say that normally Ion is a beast in multiplayer, and the fact that there is an energy restriction is quite a good thing. Vortex melts legions, stops Tones dead, can avoid unescassary damage by a scorch, waste a northstar's time, kill a monarch (as long as it doesn't have arc rounds, but even then clever fighting will prevail)
    Laser shot just burns through everything.
    Splitter Rifle is only effective by splitting the shot, or getting that last bit of damage here and there. Also to take down shields without spending energy.
    Laser Tripwire is really nice when it comes to pilots and ronins. Drop a smoke, throw the tripwire in it, and sit there when a Ronin shows up. With pilots, just drop tripwires in heavily trodded paths and reap your reward.
    I was discouraged entering Frontier Defense with Ion, but with Nuke Eject/overcore/turbo engine and reflection lens Ion is a beast. Just aim for the crits.
  • Ion is useless in FD... sorry but they need to buff Ion, Tone and maybe give better Aegis perks to them before they become viable.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    Ion's rather good as a long range ronin whose focus is on pest minions like reapers, tick reapers, mortar titans etc.

Best thing is to manage energy effectively, by pulsing split shot and normal fire; avoid trying to always shoot with split shot as then you'll run out of energy and be caught defenseless. This way you have energy to use other abilities like vortex, laser shot, and trip wire.

Suppression fire with the splinter rifle to strip health from multiple foes, execute doomed foes with laser shots. Use trip wire as an close range AoE. Then laser core to cut down all the weak foes you just created.

For kits I like assault chip so the auto-titan can use laser shots and trip wire which greatly increases her auto-titan lethality (and allows me to steal batteries from foes to give her sheilds and charge core quickly). For her titan kit, all options are viable. If you use vortex amplifier I'd rather used turbo engine since that helps with landing the return volley. Over-core is also rather useful on her with grand cannon. For assault chip ION the zero point trip wire and reflective lens kit are probably best but not sure which one is superior.

Her damage rate is rather slow compared to other titans but the ways she can deal damage are rather variable, so she's an all rounder titan. I find people try to laser shot too much since that was the op method before it was patched and old habits die hard; thus they get caught without the energy to use her other abilities.

I really like Ion, she can be good in FD but people need to learn how to play with an auto-titan in order to wield her potential IMO.
  • Kabanyash_
    Ion is useless in FD... sorry but they need to buff Ion, Tone and maybe give better Aegis perks to them before they become viable.

Tone is far from useless just because of damage buff Sonar Pulse gives.
  • RedShield55
    Ion is useless in FD... sorry but they need to buff Ion, Tone and maybe give better Aegis perks to them before they become viable.

As I said, I tried Ion, and I scored top board almost every game I played, at only like rank 10 my strategy is to just burn through my entire energy with split shot. This kills an entire titan in one bar of energy. Then, knowing this leaves my titan defensless, I equipped Nuke Eject so that the persistant damage will eventually cause one massive explosion. Then, at the end of a round I buy an arc trap, then a nuke rodeo, then an arc trap, then a nuke rodeo, in that order repeating for as long as I have 500. I start fresh on this pattern at the start of every wave, prioritizing arc traps. In the right spots, its devastating. Thunder bolt earns me my titan quickly, and so i can drop Ion right back down and continue burning through the enemy. Not good against large rushes.
  • OdysseyHome

As I said, I tried Ion, and I scored top board almost every game I played, at only like rank 10 my strategy is to just burn through my entire energy with split shot. This kills an entire titan in one bar of energy. Then, knowing this leaves my titan defensless, I equipped Nuke Eject so that the persistant damage will eventually cause one massive explosion. Then, at the end of a round I buy an arc trap, then a nuke rodeo, then an arc trap, then a nuke rodeo, in that order repeating for as long as I have 500. I start fresh on this pattern at the start of every wave, prioritizing arc traps. In the right spots, its devastating. Thunder bolt earns me my titan quickly, and so i can drop Ion right back down and continue burning through the enemy. Not good against large rushes.

I warn against over using nukes in FD. Foes you kill with those abilities give now player resources like titan meter and core and batteries, so you can end up sabotaging the team. Can't regain titans quickly if you don't have titans to shoot at. Nukes are best as emergency plans but if you play well with the team you never need to use them, much like the harvester invulnerability power-up.
  • RedShield55
    edited September 2017

I warn against over using nukes in FD. Foes you kill with those abilities give now player resources like titan meter and core and batteries, so you can end up sabotaging the team. Can't regain titans quickly if you don't have titans to shoot at. Nukes are best as emergency plans but if you play well with the team you never need to use them, much like the harvester invulnerability power-up.

Yeah I realized that yesterday when reading one of Magikf1ngers posts.(I believe it was him) Next game I played I overhauled my strategy and instead abandoned the powerful nukes. It helps that I unlocked the Energy Shot critical buff upgrade, and so I combined that with Entangled Energy and I have been doing better with Ion, but not as good as I did when I used nukes. It takes a little work trying to hit those weak points, especially when every time I shoot they throw up a shield. I have learned that shooting shields doesn't enable you to get weakpoints, (though my dumb brain still shoots them with energy-consuming abilities) and I still struggle against Reapers and Ronins (especially arc-titans), because of their small critical spots and in the case of Ronins and Arcs, it seems that sword block protects critical spots. (which is complete **** when you think about the nature of using a sword to block.
  • OdysseyHome

Yeah I realized that yesterday when reading one of Magikf1ngers posts.(I believe it was him) Next game I played I overhauled my strategy and instead abandoned the powerful nukes. It helps that I unlocked the Energy Shot critical buff upgrade, and so I combined that with Entangled Energy and I have been doing better with Ion, but not as good as I did when I used nukes. It takes a little work trying to hit those weak points, especially when every time I shoot they throw up a shield. I have learned that shooting shields doesn't enable you to get weakpoints, (though my dumb brain still shoots them with energy-consuming abilities) and I still struggle against Reapers and Ronins (especially arc-titans), because of their small critical spots and in the case of Ronins and Arcs, it seems that sword block protects critical spots. (which is complete **** when you think about the nature of using a sword to block.

FD scoring prioritizes kills, so nukes allow for getting lots of kills hence the illusion of doing well. A better way of interpreting score is if everyone's score is similar and about 1-2k. The more similar the better the team worked together.

As for ion i only use laser shot as a long range execution. Prepare a target with normal or split rifle damage then when they are doomed or weak I can one shot them with the laser shot. If ally is near i'll laser shot to doom so they can execute with melee.

For ronins laser tripwire is your friend. Can keep them away and use normal and split fire. Even if they block ion's fast reload can still melt through them. I also like to use smokes to juke the AI to lowering their guard. They can't shoot what they can't see.
  • SnakeSound222
    161 postsPosts: 170
    edited September 2017
    Entangled Energy is what I'd run because it's so easy to get crits that you could have infinite energy basically. You could split shot forever and rip Titans apart easily.
  • I run splinter lens/0 point tripwire. for extra DPS.
    "Some of you may consider this overkill. It is"