Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Aim Assist and Projectiles/non-Projectiles, Noobs are Welcome

RaulSchalke04
51 postsPosts: 63
Hi all,

Noob here.

Yesterday I came accross this video on youtube posted by code-ninja gaming that give tutorial about improving your aim.

This is a very good video for noobs. The best out of all.

What I want to discuss is the one he mention about Weapon type: Projectiles and non Projectiles. Anyone can give guidance for each weapon and their respective type?

Also about the aim assist, for which weapon this can work? On that video he made example with R 201.

I really2 need to improve my aim, current Im only good in using Mastiff. Im still no good with long range weapon.

Comments

• OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    The technical terms are: hit-scan and projectile.

Hit-scan is basically laser tag: you shoot a laser out of your gun and if an enemy is hit by the laser they suffer damage. The bullets from these guns are just fancy video effects. Reason why these guns are rather prevalent is because they are easy to use (point and shoot), and they are faster to calculate in-game, which helps in a multiplayer tittle.

Projectile actually creates a projectile. The bullets you see are bullets, and they only damage people if they contact them. The game uses tech called Fat projectiles; so bullets are actually bigger than their special effects appear, which helps people use them easily. Some projectiles have gravity so drop over time, others move fast, others slow; some fire multiple bullets in a fan (mastiff) / perpendicular line to you're shooting direction (double take). The simple test to know if the weapon shoots projectiles is if it's bullets are curved by a g-star ordinance.

So hit-scan weapons you don't need to worry about travel time nor 'leading' where a target will be to damage. You need to worry about gun bounce (recoil) as you shoot. If the laser hits the target it deals damage but scales the damage down over distances. So hit-scan guns have effective ranges where they are most deadly.

With projectiles you don't have damage drop off at range because actually aiming to get the shot at range is a challenge or puzzle if you will. If you succeed the game rewards you for the skill. This can be a difficult skill to learn but I find it really rewarding.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    As for tips about using projectile weapons:

I encourage you to toy with the advanced sensitivity settings if on a console.

I find that the default sensitivities, and the custom named sensitivities, have an problem with projectile weapons. With projectile weapons you generally want to aim down sights so you can place shots accurately; but default behaviour significantly reduces your sensitivity and your extra turning sensitivity.

So if you're in the scenario where you're scoped with a Kraber rifle, and you see a enemy at the edge of your scope, you can't quickly turn yourself to the target and shoot them. Conversely, say you spot a foe running perpendicular to you. You need to shoot ahead of them so the bullet and the target collide; so it's a trigonometry problem, but instinctively it's you aim farther ahead the greater the distance you're shooting.

Which can be difficult with aim-assist. Respawn has done a really good job of fixing the aim-assist in recent patches. Aim-assist is unique to each weapon, and is designed to help get you're aim on target. The issue with aim-assist and projectile weapons is that if you aim and need to cross your aim over a foe running or strafing perpendicular to your shooting direction, then the aim-assist resists you're attempts to lead the target. i.e. it tries to make you aim at the target, when you want to aim ahead of your target. This issue has been fixed.

For me, I found I improved my shot with projectile weapons when I adjusted my sensitivities in advanced settings. Basically I made it so that:
    • my aim down sights (ADS) is similar if not slightly quicker than my hip-fire sensitivity.
    • I also play with really high extra turning for both hip and ADS modes. This helps me face walls so I wall run on them, and helps me change the direction of my forward momentum by slightly turning while bunny hopping.
    • I also lowered my ramp up speed for the transition between normal aim and extra turning. The transition starts a little quick but it helps me lead targets quickly.
    • I also use a slightly lower than default response curve.

Collectively this helps with projectile weapon "flicking". You see a target and start ADSing while turning to face them, then you can quickly place the sights where you need to shoot and fire rather than on the foe and shoot, which helps with reaction time and accommodating for your own movement when shooting, such as when I slide then jump, or double jump to 'dodge'.

Reason why I developed this is because of titan's ADS mode can modifying their primary weapons. NorthStar in particular, since you need to ADS to charge the gun's damage. If you try point shooting with that gun, you have to wait for charge before firing; but if you ADS say at 45 deg to your target, then drag your aim over to where they'll be, you save time and can shoot people for higher damage faster. Faster ADS speed also helps counter act dash displacement, so you can charge a shot, dash sideways, and turn your aim to still hit the target with speed. I find this difficult with default settings.

So have a fiddle with the sensitivity settings and experiment. I recommend trying to calibrate so you find the Kraber and NorthStar easy to use. Then try an automatic weapon like the alternator. It'll feel a bit slippery at first for hit-scans, but you can then tweak so you get a middle of the road setting that allows you to use all weapons reasonably well. Best place to practice is a private bounty hunt match; the gauntlet has the advantage of having infinite time duration, but you don't have access to all weapons, or titans, unfortunately.
  • RaulSchalke04
    51 postsPosts: 63
    @OdysseyHome

So in TF 2 which guns categorized as Hit scan? and which gun is projectiles?

Do you have youtube channel? I would love to subscribe and watch tutorial in your channel.

Your explanation above is quite hard to follow for a Noob like me. Videos will help to understand easily.
  • RedShield55
    1366 postsPosts: 1,456 ✭✭✭
    @OdysseyHome

So in TF 2 which guns categorized as Hit scan? and which gun is projectiles?

Do you have youtube channel? I would love to subscribe and watch tutorial in your channel.

Your explanation above is quite hard to follow for a Noob like me. Videos will help to understand easily.

You don't always need a video.

I myself am I huge fan of projectile weapons. It seems that if you want to know what guns are hit scan and what are projectile you can throw down a gravity star in a Private match and then start shooting above it. If your shots get curved and thrown and stuff (sucked in? I never really fully understood a g star) then its projectile. Here is a list of Hit Scan vs Projectile.
    (Following list does not include side arms or anti titan)
    This is my list of what I think they are.
    Hitscan Weapons:
    All Assault Rifles.
    All SMGs
    Spitfire
    X-55 Devotion
    Lonb-Bow DMR
    EVA-8 Auto
    This is my list of what I think the hit scan weapons are. I might be off on them a little because it can be hard for me to tell. (If you know better please correct me) These guns will hit your target right as you pull the trigger. When aiming hitscan, you want to keep the cross hair on the guy as you do not need to worry about lead. To balance the instant hit, they added recoil to randomly throw your bullets. The recoil is shown by the cross hair. If you look at the Car, it has three lines. These indicate the recoil. As you shoot, they drift away indicating a worse recoil. The three lines means that it will throw your bullets anywhere in that circle. The volt has two "arrows" These are your recoil. It means it will kick side to side when shooting, and get worse the longer you shoot.

Projectile Weapons: (My personal favorite)
    L-Star
    Kraber-AP Sniper
    D-2 Double Take
    Mastiff
    All Grenadier weapons.
    All Titan Weapons except Legion and Monarch
    I remember when I first started playing these were the "wierd guns", (so I called them) I hadn't pinned down how they were wierd, but they were. I then proceeded want to use them. These guns have a travel time to their bullets. They might be fast, they might be slow. Some are affected by gravity, others aren't. For example, the Cold War is affected by gravity, needs all shots to land right next to the target, has a travel time, has an AOE, (area of effect) can hurt you, has a small charge up time, has a long reload, and has only 3 'shots' in its ammo box. (12 shots in 3 4 projectile bursts) This makes the gun very clunky to use. You have to figure out how to time the charge up. Then you need to have a surface behind your enemy. You need to be above them for the gravity, and you might need to lead it because it won't insta-hit.
    The SMR needs you to be either directly following them or on a straight on collision course. Alternately, you could be so close you could hug them. Then it has to actually hits with its slower bullets, causing you to possibly have to lead your shots. (If firing at an angle to them.)

Projectile weapons are tricky to get the hang of but are alot of fun! (Sounds like you already have the mastiff) Highly recommend 10/10 all the explosions -IGN.
    I hope this helped!
    Help I'm trapped in a signature factory