Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Tone: Shield or Rockets in Frontier Defence?

Steel_Rook
91 postsPosts: 95 ✭✭
So my friends asked me to please stop using the Ronin when we play together, causing me to move onto the Tone. I don't have much issue pinning done Tone's general role, playstyle and most advantageous tactics, at least to a large extent, but I'm somewhat stuck on the Tone Kit. Most of them don't really interest me too much, but I'm torn between two: Reinforced Shield Wall and Rocket Barrage. The former supposedly makes the Shield Wall last longer and take more damage while the latter gives me two extra rockets per Rocket Salvo. So... Which one would you suggest for Frontier Defence?

I was able to track down a spreadsheet of numbers for Titanfall 2. It tells me that each Tracker Cannon shot deals 530 damage with a *1.5 weak spot multiplier and that each rocket in a Salvo deals 550 damage, neither of which has any distance falloff. Right there, those two extra rockets constitute over 1000 damage per salvo, which is pretty nice. More so if I can score multiple locks. I can't seem to find any stats on the Shield Wall, however. I don't know how much damage it can absorb by default or even really how long it lasts, nor do I know how much the Reinforced Shield Wall buff increases that. From a few unscientific tests, the Shield Wall doesn't seem to block all that much damage nor last all that long even with the buff.

Now, on the one hand, having some kind of personal defence so I don't have to hoof it every time my position is compromised is nice, and I'll be the first to admit that the base Shield Wall isn't really all that great for that. It doesn't seem to last all that long, though I don't know if that's because it expires or because it gets killed. The problem is that even with the buff, it still doesn't seem to help all that much. It doesn't allow me to "trade" with the Titan columns in Frontier Defence, certainly, and it's the skill's really long cooldown that kind of kills it for me. Even when it works well, it doesn't work all that well.

On the other hand, are two extra rockets really worth giving up some measure of personal protection or - potentially - another Tone Kit? I mean sure, it's a boost of 30% to the Rocket Salvo's damage and I use that A LOT, but isn't that powerful enough on its own? Not really sure quite yet. And yes, I know I could grab, say, the double-ping sonar but again - the cooldown on that skill means I'd barely even get to use it.

And just to be clear - I'm talking solely and only about Frontier Defence. I'm sure a Shield Wall would be very useful in PvP to get me out of a bind or buy me breathing room, but I never used the Tone in PvP to begin with (I was a "Legion Main") nor do I really intend to. As with a lot of other Titans, it seems like some perfectly adequate PvP skills just don't end up scaling well in PvE where DPS and Sustain seem to matter far more than clutch moments. I'm leaning towards sticking with Tracker Rockets and using the Tone as a long-range Assassin such that I'd just run away if engaged in close quarters, but I'm not entirely sure.

Comments

• AI_software
    254 postsPosts: 269 ✭✭
    I use Rocket Barrage and I really like it. It gives me enough rockets to kill a reaper in one burst, as well as kill a titan that's just entered doomed state (in Regular mode). But I'm honestly not sure if a single rocket burst without Rocket Barrage would be enough to kill a reaper or doomed titan otherwise.
    I don't really find myself in any situations where I need a stronger shield. I usually just pop it to block small stuff since the enemy titans in FD don't really lay into you with their primaries as much as another player would in PvP. It seems like they only occasionally fire at you in bursts, so the regular shield does just fine against that kind of combat.
    RIP Volt -| |- 05.30.17
  • Steel_Rook
    Right, Rocket Barrage it is, then. Thank you for the advise :) That's about how I've found it, as well. The Reinforced Shield Wall doesn't seem to be very reinforced anyway - it still doesn't last very long though I don't know how much damage it blocks. All things considered, it just seemed logical to focus on the one ability for the Tone which has no cooldown. When a column of six Ogre Titans shows up at the Core, what I need more than anything else is DPS. Self-defence I can handle by just putting distance between myself and the AI Titans.

• OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Steel_Rook wrote: »
    Right, Rocket Barrage it is, then. Thank you for the advise :) That's about how I've found it, as well. The Reinforced Shield Wall doesn't seem to be very reinforced anyway - it still doesn't last very long though I don't know how much damage it blocks. All things considered, it just seemed logical to focus on the one ability for the Tone which has no cooldown. When a column of six Ogre Titans shows up at the Core, what I need more than anything else is DPS. Self-defence I can handle by just putting distance between myself and the AI Titans.

He beat me to it. I always run rocket barrage and overcore on my tone. Damage earns core, so upping the damage by shooting more rockets helps.

I'm going to experiment with burst loader when I get the double mag aegis rank. Want to see how it goes, but you can't go wrong with rocket barrage. Especially if you know how to curve rockets over buildings.
  • Kabanyash_
    24 postsPosts: 25
    I personally use Pulse Echo. Works good when there's a lot of enemies by giving you 2 lock-on markers (3rd is easily achievable with 40mm Aegis splash, more lock-ons = more rockets), and potentially more enemies get revealed for Aegis bonus damage.
    Tried Enhanced Tracker and you just can't reliably hit critical spots for faster lock-ons, and rifle with Burst Loader felt... sluggish when shooting without letting it to fill in the burst.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    Kabanyash_ wrote: »
    I personally use Pulse Echo. Works good when there's a lot of enemies by giving you 2 lock-on markers (3rd is easily achievable with 40mm Aegis splash, more lock-ons = more rockets), and potentially more enemies get revealed for Aegis bonus damage.
    Tried Enhanced Tracker and you just can't reliably hit critical spots for faster lock-ons, and rifle with Burst Loader felt... sluggish when shooting without letting it to fill in the burst.

I started out with pulse echo due to the aegis rank, but I find rockets better personally. I'm interested if the pulse duration aegis works for the two pulses; in which case I'd reconsider my preference.
  • Steel_Rook
    Near as I can tell, the delay between the two pulses isn't significant enough for the boosted Sonar duration to matter. I don't know if the second sonar overrides the duration of the first or if it's ignored, I just don't think you're likely to be able to see a practical difference.
  • Kabanyash_
    24 postsPosts: 25
    I have all Aegis bonuses and honestly can't tell if second pulse has the bonus duration because I don't remember how the original duration of single one "felt".
    The point of it is 2 quick lock-on markers and enemies that are running towards the first pulse have a chance to be revealed for bonus damage as well.
  • L453R-634M
    12 postsPosts: 18
    Overcore/Pulse Echo for me. Double locks + chance to mark multiple enemies with splash (less time spent shooting 40mm) = faster rockets = more DPS and Salvo Cores. However, Rocket Barrage is still good if the team is lacking in damage.