Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

TF1 vs TF2

AlClemBee9575
17 postsPosts: 22
edited August 2017
I'm sure someone's already done this thread, but I wanted to do this for two reasons. #1 FrothyOmen's Titanfall 3 video. #2 I've been playing a bit of TF1 lately and I remember some things that make it better than TF2.

What TF did better:

1. Titans: What I liked most about TF1 was the titans. Being able to select your own chassis, weapon (and weapon mod), tactical ability. Ordnance, tier 1 and 2 kits, isignia and AI voice. Now don't get me wrong. I like the fact that we have camo's and nosearts, but the Titan system in TF1 was done better in my opinion. I liked the fact that I could use a 40mm with electric smoke and a cluster missle or a triple threat with multi-target missile system and vortex shield. Oh and the core abilities were great because they weren't super mega, devastating and damaging abilities. The cores in TF1 just enhanced traits of the Atlas (increased damage), Ogre (amped shields), and Stryder (increased dash).
2. Melee: This is pretty much a given. The melee in TF1 is vastly superior to the melee in TF2 as it was a simple kick that had no distance closing lunge or magical extended range.
3. Rodeo: I also feel like the rodeo system in TF1 was done better. I'm behind the battery mechanics in TF2, but the rodeo system in TF1 was better, because it forced you to use your electric smoke (something you can do in TF2 if you already used it once but haven't gotten your core out yet) or disembark from your Titan and shoot the person off your Titan (impossible to do in TF2 as by the time you disembark and locate the enemy pilot, he's already yanked out your battery).
4. Pilot combat: Long story short. TTK was perfect, recoil was manageable on all weapons, and you weren't forced into close quarters combat every minute or so.
5. Pilot/Titan balance: With the exception of a few maps from the 3 map expansion packs, pilot and titans coexisted beautifully. They still do in TF2, but not as nicely as TF1 did it. Also I liked the fact that the maps in TF1 weren't forcing this "3-lane" system that exists in TF2.

What TF2 did better

1. More weapons: Can't argue with the weapon selection available in TF2. Each weapon is categorized and you added more of them which is always good. The customization options for them too are great as they are not locked based on killing x-amount of enemies (for suppressor), x-amount of spectres (for extended mags) or x-amount of pilots (for a unique modification for each weapon). That being said, Satchel Charge needs to be like it was in TF1. They're barely usable now.
2. Pilot movement: Again, hard to argue with this one. The pilot movement in TF2 is great. The slide hopping mechanic makes map traversal quick and fun, the wall running mechanics haven't changed, and combat is certainly faster as a result of these changes. Definitely bring this back for the next game.
3. Campaign: 10x better than TF1. Could've made it longer I think, but it was a great story, and I was able to connect to the characters of Cooper and BT. Plus is expanded on the "story" from TF1.
4. Free DLC content: New maps, game modes, titans, camp packs, banners, and patches. Just lots of things to get excited about.
5. Pilot loadout system: When comparing it to TF1, nothing has really changed. You select your primary (+ mods), second, and AT weapons, choose what ordnance and tactical ability you are going to use, as well as your two pilot kits. What makes it better though is the expansion in tactical abilities and ordnance options.

Just a random list that I'm sure has already been done. Also there were a few other things that TF1 and TT2 were successful with, but that can be saves for another time. Let me know what you think.

Alex

Comments

• This list does a really good job of the best part of both games. Besides balance and burn cards which were in FrothyOmen's video, the other thing I miss is the complete first person of TF1. And I miss the satchel, rodeoing, placing satchel than detonating as you jump off was so much fun.
  • DarkVoidHunter
    19 postsPosts: 19
    edited August 2017
    :)
    "We are more than pilots, out there, we're are brothers in arms..."

Join to "Fireteam Echo 7"..."Deus ex machina"!
  • DarkVoidHunter
    19 postsPosts: 19
    Yeah, I agree but I want a better customization for the pilot like Helmet, Armor, Shoulders, Gloves, Hood, Scarf, Boots, more skins and/or customizable patterns and the emblem of the faction for the pilot and the titan... I don't like the fat armor of the Cloak and the A-Wall pilots...
    "We are more than pilots, out there, we're are brothers in arms..."

Join to "Fireteam Echo 7"..."Deus ex machina"!
  • TheMightyM0
    434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
    More pilot customization would go a long way for me. I literally don't even touch cloak or AWall because I hate the way the armor looks.
  • SnakeSound222
    161 postsPosts: 170
    TF2 did a waaaay better job at the terminations.
  • TheMightyM0
    434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
    Titanfall 2's titan terminations are visually more exciting, but I feel like they fit better with the flow of combat in the first game and added to the immersion when you were looking right at the pilot before giving him a toss all in first person. I want to see in any hypothetical Titanfall 3 some kind of hybrid of highly stylish and awesome executions mixed with the first person viewpoint that adds to that immersion.
  • LMS5400
    47 postsPosts: 71
    I like the pilot combat in TF2 better. I love the red halo around the player.

Less time hunting for black dudes in the shadows and more time setting up an attack. The red halo really breaks camping and thatsa . great thing. This is why I loved Farcry3 so much ... also had red names above players at distance... can't camp.

• Player_dt647wt9
    254 postsPosts: 272 ✭✭✭
    LMS5400 wrote: »
    I like the pilot combat in TF2 better. I love the red halo around the player.

Less time hunting for black dudes in the shadows and more time setting up an attack. The red halo really breaks camping and thatsa . great thing. This is why I loved Farcry3 so much ... also had red names above players at distance... can't camp.

I actually saw WAY less camping in the first titanfall than I do in the sequel.
  • I have to say I’m not enjoying TF2 at all.

I’m a 38 casual but OLD school gamer. I’ve an original door step commodore 64 kicking around.

TF1 I can hold my own. Sometimes even be top player. As in most games.

TF2 either I’m the ONLY one not cheating, or the game mechanics are just SO massively different to TF1 and everything else around it’s unbalanced so it just not my game to the point I’m constantly the bottom player.

Either I suck, the game sucks, or me and the countless comments I’ve read are correct and cheating has ruined the game. So they suck!?
  • gOOeyblunt
    3 postsPosts: 3
    Titanfall 2, just no. And I pre ordered this game..
  • EurynomeStolas
    124 postsPosts: 163 ✭✭
    @AlClemBee9575 Titanfall 1 does have bunny hopping which was a harder movement system to pull off and not everyone can do it as easy as Titanfall 2 slidehop
  • gamephilos
    37 postsPosts: 38
    Titans are more volatile I think overall in TF1 bcuz of the ground they cover.

The slide hop allows you to get moving quicker off the cuff than getting your wall hop going.

Besides the up to date feel of TF2 and better looking mechs. The first sold the ip as a whole better than the sequel.
    It fell victim to homogenization that eventually claims so many titles (the dumbed down all inclusive losing originality fix).

Still don't understand the hate of that Multiplayer campaign. I thought it should have been expanded upon rather than nixed!