Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Any tips for Ronin in Frontier Defence?

2»

Comments

• OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    Kabanyash_ wrote: »
    Yep, Ronin is a beast once final Aegis bonus for the Sword Core is active. Played War Games on hard right now and it took few Scorches to finally bring it down, that's when nuke ejection comes in handy. But still it's just not my playstyle and flimsiness doesn't really help it. That being said - I rather prefered Ronin to Ion or Monarch on hard.
    Two clips of gameplay if anyone is interested. WG is on Hard, Kodai - Normal.

And, as a bonus, here's how you die 50% of the time as a Pilot (other 50% are Ticks):

In my previous comments I've warned against using highlander and nuke ejection / nuke rodeo power up because they can sabotage the team. People tend to go sword crazy with Ronin due to the aegis perks. Problem with this is damage you deal is damage allies can't deal to earn their titans / cores; which creates imbalance in the team, so recovery when mistakes are made is more difficult than needs to be.
  • Kabanyash_
    24 postsPosts: 25
    As I've said, I haven't read throught all the quite long messages here, but remark about sabotaging is weird, in my opinion. Everyone should do maximum amount of damage possible for as long as possible. Exceptions to this may be first/last few titans for battery rodeoing (which no one cares about). There's no way of knowing how much damage your teammates can even dish out (showing Aegis ranks during loading could help quite a bit with that, actually), so why restrain yourself? I'd rather clear a wave than restarting it because I need to give someone an opportunity to earn a titan/core.
    Nuke Ejection is crucial for Ronin as the most damage it can deal is at very close range (shotgun pellets are useless from "dash" distance), and it serves only as a last ditch attempt to deal it if you've failed by normal means for some reason. Using doomed Ronin is otherwise risky, other titans can avoid receiving damage but successfully deal it in return.
    Same with Highlander. Nothing stuns enemies more than an amped sword swing, you draw attention and damage to yourself and soak it up with replenishing shield, potentially even blocking out an entire lane. I can't see how prolonging Sword Core can be a bad thing. Plus, going back to doomed state, it gets somewhat negated.
  • OdysseyHome
    Kabanyash_ wrote: »
    As I've said, I haven't read throught all the quite long messages here, but remark about sabotaging is weird, in my opinion. Everyone should do maximum amount of damage possible for as long as possible. Exceptions to this may be first/last few titans for battery rodeoing (which no one cares about). There's no way of knowing how much damage your teammates can even dish out (showing Aegis ranks during loading could help quite a bit with that, actually), so why restrain yourself? I'd rather clear a wave than restarting it because I need to give someone an opportunity to earn a titan/core.
    Nuke Ejection is crucial for Ronin as the most damage it can deal is at very close range (shotgun pellets are useless from "dash" distance), and it serves only as a last ditch attempt to deal it if you've failed by normal means for some reason. Using doomed Ronin is otherwise risky, other titans can avoid receiving damage but successfully deal it in return.
    Same with Highlander. Nothing stuns enemies more than an amped sword swing, you draw attention and damage to yourself and soak it up with replenishing shield, potentially even blocking out an entire lane. I can't see how prolonging Sword Core can be a bad thing. Plus, going back to doomed state, it gets somewhat negated.

I know it's a weird concept. The emphasis is on dealing damage to titans not the damage actually dealt. I think per unit of damage you get 0.22% (a small number) of meter; so high damage means you instantly take that damage from the enemy and convert it into your own resources, while dealing low damage you take longer to convert the equivalent enemy health into resources because of the time you need to attack.

So you tend to get this odd dynamic where players are racing against each other to deal damage. Some players by virtue of their titan and load out choices can deal damage more easily than others thus they tend to kill more stuff, and deny those low damage dealing allies capacity to earn their own stuff.

So when I play ronin I focus on helping the low damage dealers by being very picky about the targets I kill. I focus on killing low health foes so that allies can bleed the bigger titans for their resources. These include reapers, stalkers, drones; i earn core by supporting tanks by arc waving to debuff enemy defense abilities and getting shotgun crits. Then I use the sword core to hunt down mortar titans, snipers, targets that have low max health, but have special attributes that can be problematic.

In a way it's helpful to think that everyone is a vampire and damaging foes is sucking their blood for sustenance. Vampires only need so much blood to live, but if some greedy vampires gorge themselves they rob other vampires of blood they need to survive. So when the gorged vampire gets accidentally caught in the sun of a nuke, you suddenly have four very anemic vampires trying to defend their castle, and the peasant forces easily storm it and stake em. If the vampires distributed blood relatively fairly, and delegated each other specific prey so that they don't compete on their hunting, then the vampire coven would be much stronger.
  • Kabanyash_
    24 postsPosts: 25
    I get what you're saying, but it's up to the players to use their titans strength, split up evenly and deal damage where needed. Often you see 3 guys hunting down a poor sniper titan on War Games while the right side is littered with rushing enemies - that's hardly dealing maximum amounts of damage possible, is it? On Hard realistically there's no titan loadouts available that are so powerful to "steal blood" from other 3 teammates.
  • If you are not running Highlander, then why are you even here? just farm your core (or just take a nuke in the face with sword block on) and just cut everyone in half. if you are trying to get to point A to point B and it's a long way, just cut down a titan along the way to recharge your core.
    "Some of you may consider this overkill. It is"
  • OdysseyHome
    @ToxicApollo117 Read the earlier comments to know why highlander can actually sabotage the team rather than help them if you came late to the topic.

Thing to remember is that FD is a team mode. So 'carrying' a team by killing everything for them isn't a good thing. While it's skillful to be able to do that, it's not very wise. Why do the job of three competent people for them, when you can focus on one job and do it well.

Hence my advocacy of a thunderstorm overcore ronin in FD. Kill mortars, reapers, and stalkers as priority then help allies hold their lanes. Arc waving enemies cuts their sheilds and their defensive abilities so it mean tanks don't need to reload / wait for cooldowns to burn through those defenses.

Can also phase dash behind foes to turn them around so they're focusing on you to allow allies to shoot them in the back. Can then execute when the titan gets doomed.

So the nuke + highlander builds are just sabotaging the team. And it's hard to convice people that playing that way is bad because "Game said I came first place". But you typically lose the match...