Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Frontier Defense Titan Meta

«1
L453R-634M
12 postsPosts: 18
Since the main focus of FD seems to be what you can contribute with your Titan, I was wondering what loadouts have been working best for you?

I like Overcore and Twin Traps on Northstar, and Turbo Engine with Sensor Array on Legion

Comments

  • AI_software
    254 postsPosts: 269 ✭✭
    I maxed out Scorch yesterday and I run Turbo Engine and Tempered Plating. Being invincible to my own thermite is really important I think.
    RIP Volt -| |- 05.30.17
  • L453R-634M
    12 postsPosts: 18
    That's dope. I think Piercing Shot is good for Northstar on Blackwater Canal. I see a lot of people using Nuke Eject.
  • LordHerobrine568
    56 postsPosts: 70
    I run Tone with Nuke Eject and Reinforced Particle Wall. Maybe I should switch it to Burst Loader or Rocket Barrage.
  • Run piecing shot and nuke eject for Northstar. Good on most map, great on black water canal and rise.
  • KaiserWarrior
    3 postsPosts: 3
    I run Ion with Turbo Engine and Grand Cannon.

    Turbo Engine is almost a requirement, in my opinion. You need the mobility to get around the map, to quickly double-boost in and execute enemy titans for the invulnerable frames, and to always have a backup dash to escape a nuke titan explosion.

    Your other options for that slot:
    Assault Chip: Obviously bad in a mode that is almost entirely about using your Titan abilities to the fullest.
    Stealth Eject: Obviously bad in a mode that is strictly PvE, especially considering you can fight in Doomed state for a LONG time if you're any good.
    Overcore: One-shot 20% build is worthless, considering you'll be building up TONS of cores and, if you're not terrible, will only be dropping your titan in once or twice
    Nuclear Eject: A case can be made for this, but why sacrifice your own titan to nuke enemies when you can just buy Nuke Rodeo at the armory and take something better in this slot?
    Counter Ready: MAYBE if you're running Ronin or Monarch and your smoke is worth using on the regular. For everyone else, lolno. Just punch grunts/stalkers.

    For Ion-specific kit, I think Grand Cannon is the most bang-for-buck. It 100% guarantees a dead enemy titan from full health, and in a lot of cases lets you get two or more kills out of one core. The value of this likely increases even further once you get high enough Aegis to get Cannon extend on kill, but I've not ground that out yet so I can't say for certain.

    Other Options for that slot:
    Entangled Energy: Can be great if your team is being cooperative, but I find that in most pub games the enemies are too bunched up and all over each other, and the allies are too happy to jump into your line of fire, to make it worthwhile. Still, if you can reasonably guarantee good crit rate, it'd be worth it for the extra shoulder lasers.
    Zero-Point Trip Wire: Trip Wire is not very good in FD, and while having it be free improves its value proposition (so that it's not a complete waste of energy when you could have spent it on shoulder lasers), it's not worth sacrificing a buff to your energy regen or cannon lethality just to make Trip Wire not-garbage.
    Vortex Amplifier: Waste of a slot. Vortex isn't worth the energy when you could be pumping out more shoulder lasers, and the enemy titan AI isn't smart enough to warrant being so defensive. Just use that Turbo Engine you have installed to juke them. Shoulder Lasers tend to stagger them anyway.

  • Dr_Killedalot
    4 postsPosts: 5
    edited July 2017
    Overcore: One-shot 20% build is worthless, considering you'll be building up TONS of cores
    Actully Overcore gives you 20% evrytime you used your core not just when you drop in which pretty much makes it the best kit by far

  • ALPHA_HUNT_f8jm
    1 postsPosts: 1
    edited August 2017
    Using Monarch with Extra Electric Smoke, Energy Thief, Arc Rounds, Maelstrom, XO-16 Accelerator. It's all about creating synergy and staying alive. The extra smoke and Maelstrom means I can spam electric smoke both defensively and offensively and with the Aegis buff can give teammates shielding. Arc Rounds and XO-16 Accelerator makes the XO-16 absolutely devestating, a full clip will Doom sniper, mortar, arc, ion and scorch Titan's while nuclear Titan's have their shields stripped off pretty quickly, followed by a dash and electric smoke. Energy thief and continuous core building means I always have shield, can self repair so I stay alive from wave2 to final with the same Titan. Also means I usually don't buy a battery so I dump all my credits into arc traps.

    Monarch reigns baby!
  • SnakeSound222
    161 postsPosts: 170
    edited August 2017
    Monarch with Overcore, Energy Thief, Arc Rounds, Maelstrom, and Superior Chassis. Running Overcore is must on Monarch for me. I want to obtain my third core ASAP, especially because I become an Atlas Titan with the health of an Ogre chassis. Energy Thief is for getting more shields without having to wait on my core. The XO-16 is devastating with the Aegis upgrades and with the added strength against shields, I rip Titans apart when I hit their crit spots. Their shields don't stand a chance. I have no use for Accelerator (plus the idea of becoming on Ogre on steroids and having no crit spots is freaking awesome). I love dashing into a group of Titans and dropping some Maelstrom-enhanced smoke and then dashing away or terminating for the battery. Their health bars go from full to like 30-40% very fast.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    For me the game is about the right people damaging the right targets. Damage you deal earns titan meter, titan core, and kills give cash and bonus cash; so in a meta sense it would be wise to avoid one person dealing too much damage so that it robs allies of damage dealing opportunities so they can earn titans, core, and power-ups.

    Ideally people would pool all of their cash into the bank every wave and then delegate purchase orders. This way people can get turrets up much earlier and have more of them, which reinforces their effectiveness. The down side of turrets is that they remove damage dealing opportunity from the game, but the benefit is they can kill the fiddly stuff while the team focuses on more important threats. They also are great at stopping endless stream of ticks from reapers out back on buildings from damaging the harvester (they hide and people have difficulty finding them if they're new). In this regard nukes are a big waste of damage dealing opportunities so over use sabotages the team. People should buy the minimum arc traps necessary and the best locations are X, T, Y, junctions on maps that enemies traffic through. With lower arc traps they act like sensor tripwires since the award notifies you to the location. Invulnerability is a waste of cash really, should have bought other stuff and played better with the team. Should never need to use one like nukes. Amp damage is more for convenience than necessity; it buys you time in the long run by reducing TTK.

    Other thing is batteries. People rarely leave their titans when they could steal a battery from the AI because they're scared they'll lose their titan. This is a tactic I've been practicing and it really increases the life time and cores of my titans; and when perfected I can actually health damage and gain cores fast. Getting a shield is great because it protects my true health, so I can take some risks. In this way the assault chip can be rather good if you titans relies on offensive or utility abilities for damage dealing. I play monarch this way and don't miss the energy thief (must get execution before ronin) stress. Over-core I do miss and consider the better titan kit in FD because it gives you free damage effectively. So that's 20% of damage you don't need to take from enemies in the game; and you get smokes on core end too: it's the best but AC gets worthy mention if people use it correctly (it's not a never embark license, it's a titan distracts while you steal battery insurance policy).

    People need to stop thinking about their own kills and think "is this target the best thing I should be killing? Is there a titan-less pilot nearby that could exploit the damage to recover? Could an ally exploit this situation better? etc." That mindset wins games, but is rare.

    Warp fall can prevent nuke titan explosions which is rather cool. Best ordinance is fire-star or satchels, g-star can have it's situational and movement uses but ordinance can supplement titan damage. Titan hunter is really good because it reduces the damage you need to deal to earn titans, and thus that damage could be used to earn titans / cores by allies or yourself latter on.

    Other than that if people play their titan to their strengths, and not try to kill things they shouldn't like highlander nuke ronins trying to tank when you have a scorch and legion on the team; then the game is rather easy. The reason people fail is because one person is killing things they shouldn't be killing, which causes the team to twist into a sub-optimal defense.
  • GSWIWG
    6 postsPosts: 6
    I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I feel like Monarch is just not getting as much love as it should with the Aegis Upgrades. I mean, it's role is support. But the way they used the Aegis Upgrades to give Monarch a better performance as a Support is a bit sickening in my oppinion, since the only way you can support your friends is by either getting the Energytransfer upgrade or by popping a smoke. The smoke is bad, since you only get ONE per Core and it doesn't give that much shield. Energytransfer is just a waste of a syphon, because it gives WAY too little Shields.
    So this is what Respawn should do in my oppinion:
    Bonus 1: Smoke Generator: Every Core generates 2 charges of smoke, one at 30% and one at 60% or 90%.
    Bonus 2: Replace the Chassis upgrade with Legions Battleship Bonus, since all of Monarchs kits by no means make it OP.
    Bonus 3 stays.
    Bonus 4: Drop the "Level 2" part
    Bonus 5: Since Monarch now has less health and therefore also shields, it might be a good idea to just replace this Bonus with the Superior chassis core upgrade, bringing both shields and health up.
    Bonus 6 stays.
    Bonus 7: Apex Titan: I think that for Monarch to really fill its role as a Support, it needs to drop with the Energytransfer, Rearm and Reload and Energyfield upgrades fitted.

    One more thing about Bonuses 3 and 6: These two could also be fused into one as a means of giving Monarch a better progression concerning bonuses 5 and 7.
  • SnakeSound222
    161 postsPosts: 170
    edited October 2017
    bisi1968 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I feel like Monarch is just not getting as much love as it should with the Aegis Upgrades. I mean, it's role is support. But the way they used the Aegis Upgrades to give Monarch a better performance as a Support is a bit sickening in my oppinion, since the only way you can support your friends is by either getting the Energytransfer upgrade or by popping a smoke. The smoke is bad, since you only get ONE per Core and it doesn't give that much shield. Energytransfer is just a waste of a syphon, because it gives WAY too little Shields.
    So this is what Respawn should do in my oppinion:
    Bonus 1: Smoke Generator: Every Core generates 2 charges of smoke, one at 30% and one at 60% or 90%.
    Bonus 2: Replace the Chassis upgrade with Legions Battleship Bonus, since all of Monarchs kits by no means make it OP.
    Bonus 3 stays.
    Bonus 4: Drop the "Level 2" part
    Bonus 5: Since Monarch now has less health and therefore also shields, it might be a good idea to just replace this Bonus with the Superior chassis core upgrade, bringing both shields and health up.
    Bonus 6 stays.
    Bonus 7: Apex Titan: I think that for Monarch to really fill its role as a Support, it needs to drop with the Energytransfer, Rearm and Reload and Energyfield upgrades fitted.

    One more thing about Bonuses 3 and 6: These two could also be fused into one as a means of giving Monarch a better progression concerning bonuses 5 and 7.
    @bisi1968

    I do not, and will never agree with these changes (except the first one) because Monarch is not just a Support Titan. Most of these would ruin Monarch. She is a multi-purpose Titan. That should’ve been obvious considering the different Core upgrades. She should be an Offense/Roamer/Support Titan. Removing her Chassis and Shield Upgrades are horrible ideas and should never be implemented into the game. Respawn shouldn't even think about doing that. Here is what I would change:

    Aegis Rank 2 will now allow your electric smoke to shield yourself and your allies. You can also get three charges per Core (one at 20%, one at 60%, and another at 100%).

    Aegis Rank 8 will now grant your XO-16 a sniper configuration and 50% additional damage against crit spots

    Aegis Rank 11 will now grant your Rocket Salvo increased damage. Normal Rocket Salvo, Missile Racks, and MTMS would be receive double damage (they would do 5,400 damage, 10,800 damage, and 7,200 damage, respectively). Running Missile Racks and MTMS would only give them a 60-70% increase (so it should do somewhere between 11k-12k damage). Doubling the damage from MTMS+Missile Racks would’ve made it strong enough to completely wipe out an Ogre Titan. While this may seem like I’m trying to turn Monarch into the next Ronin, I’m not. The missiles aren’t guaranteed to hit. You can either dodge or block (You’ll always be blocking in the case of MTMS). You can’t block Ronin’s 20 second Sword Core.

    Aegis Rank 17 will now upgrade your Energy Siphon. It will now stun the target for 2-3 seconds, increase the stun effect (it would be more like an Arc Grenade’s, it would be a lot harder to see until the effect wears off), and increase the shield gain by 25% (this would also affect Energy Transfer).

    Aegis Rank 20 will now enable all of Monarch's kits (unsure if Shield Amplifier should stack with her Rank 17 upgrade) and either give her all three tier 1 Core upgrades from the start (she drops with Arc Rounds, Missile Racks, and Energy Transfer installed and you start building your tier 2 Core from the start) or give her one random upgrade from each tier (you would have two Core builds, the one you chose and the random one that Apex Titan created).

    These changes will encourage more players to go out there and try to play Monarch offensively instead of feeling pressured into only playing supportively due to Respawn wanting you too (for some odd reason).
  • GSWIWG
    6 postsPosts: 6
    bisi1968 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I feel like Monarch is just not getting as much love as it should with the Aegis Upgrades. I mean, it's role is support. But the way they used the Aegis Upgrades to give Monarch a better performance as a Support is a bit sickening in my oppinion, since the only way you can support your friends is by either getting the Energytransfer upgrade or by popping a smoke. The smoke is bad, since you only get ONE per Core and it doesn't give that much shield. Energytransfer is just a waste of a syphon, because it gives WAY too little Shields.
    So this is what Respawn should do in my oppinion:
    Bonus 1: Smoke Generator: Every Core generates 2 charges of smoke, one at 30% and one at 60% or 90%.
    Bonus 2: Replace the Chassis upgrade with Legions Battleship Bonus, since all of Monarchs kits by no means make it OP.
    Bonus 3 stays.
    Bonus 4: Drop the "Level 2" part
    Bonus 5: Since Monarch now has less health and therefore also shields, it might be a good idea to just replace this Bonus with the Superior chassis core upgrade, bringing both shields and health up.
    Bonus 6 stays.
    Bonus 7: Apex Titan: I think that for Monarch to really fill its role as a Support, it needs to drop with the Energytransfer, Rearm and Reload and Energyfield upgrades fitted.

    One more thing about Bonuses 3 and 6: These two could also be fused into one as a means of giving Monarch a better progression concerning bonuses 5 and 7.
    @bisi1968

    I do not, and will never agree with these changes (except the first one) because Monarch is not just a Support Titan. Most of these would ruin Monarch. She is a multi-purpose Titan. That should’ve been obvious considering the different Core upgrades. She should be an Offense/Roamer/Support Titan. Removing her Chassis and Shield Upgrades are horrible ideas and should never be implemented into the game. Respawn shouldn't even think about doing that. Here is what I would change:

    Aegis Rank 2 will now allow your electric smoke to shield yourself and your allies. You can also get three charges per Core (one at 20%, one at 60%, and another at 100%).

    Aegis Rank 8 will now grant your XO-16 a sniper configuration and 50% additional damage against crit spots

    Aegis Rank 11 will now grant your Rocket Salvo increased damage. Normal Rocket Salvo, Missile Racks, and MTMS would be receive double damage (they would do 5,400 damage, 10,800 damage, and 7,200 damage, respectively). Running Missile Racks and MTMS would only give them a 60-70% increase (so it should do somewhere between 11k-12k damage). Doubling the damage from MTMS+Missile Racks would’ve made it strong enough to completely wipe out an Ogre Titan. While this may seem like I’m trying to turn Monarch into the next Ronin, I’m not. The missiles aren’t guaranteed to hit. You can either dodge or block (You’ll always be blocking in the case of MTMS). You can’t block Ronin’s 20 second Sword Core.

    Aegis Rank 17 will now upgrade your Energy Siphon. It will now stun the target for 2-3 seconds, increase the stun effect (it would be more like an Arc Grenade’s, it would be a lot harder to see until the effect wears off), and increase the shield gain by 25% (this would also affect Energy Transfer).

    Aegis Rank 20 will now enable all of Monarch's kits (unsure if Shield Amplifier should stack with her Rank 17 upgrade) and either give her all three tier 1 Core upgrades from the start (she drops with Arc Rounds, Missile Racks, and Energy Transfer installed and you start building your tier 2 Core from the start) or give her one random upgrade from each tier (you would have two Core builds, the one you chose and the random one that Apex Titan created).

    These changes will encourage more players to go out there and try to play Monarch offensively instead of feeling pressured into only playing supportively due to Respawn wanting you too (for some odd reason).

    @SnakeSound222
    About your Ideas:
    Bonus 1: TRIPPLE SMOKE, ARE YOU INSANE? The extra electric smoke Kit would increase that to 6(!11!1111111!1111!!111) SMOKES!!
    **** 6! Maelstroem would be OP as ****, especially outside of FD!
    Bonus 3: Ok (basically what I suggested)
    Bonus 4: That's 14.4k damage per salvo, rearm would mean a combo of 28.8k damage
    Bonus 5: Ok, just think about combining this with your previous Missile upgrade. You can't see and move slower, so you probably will get hit. You don't know where the missiles are coming from, so you might not be able to block.
    I don't think that Respawn nerfed the syphon's effect for no reason.
    Bonus 7: OK?!

    Next up: When I created my previous comment, I didn't know that Extra smoke gives you two charges per normal smoke, so the first Bonus is replaced by adding that kit.

    Following: What's wrong with being a support? Games like LoL don't have them for no reason. A Support is important to the teams survival (and therefore the successfull defense). It was just depressing to me that Monarchs Upgrades completely **** her over in the damage department, which destroyed her multi-purpose build and didn't even give enough of a incentive to play as a Support, which is one of her mulit-purpose roles.

    Furthermore: I really hate the random part of Monarchs last upgrade. It forces you to either destroy your titan or play a style you don't like. So please don't.

    About the "horrible idea": Did you even consider the rest of my suggestions?
    I gave her the Superior chassis Core upgrade!! That makes her stronger than Legion/Scorch because it removes her weaknesses AND gives her 2 or 3 blocks of health (can't remember). With the chassis and shield upgrade, that makes her near indestructible in FD. So those two got pulled in order to give more space for other upgrades.

    These were the reasons for my ideas.

    One more thing about the support thing.
    What really **** me off is the following:
    When I pop a smoke and help my team or waste a syphon on a teammate, I don't get any core charge. It's like nothing happened. I don't know if you get credits, because I haven't tested that, but I am pretty certain that it isn't even registered beyond the awards at the end of the round.

    One more general thing: Turbo Charger
    That thing **** me off now. Specifically because of the split description.
    Why not give the Titans their original set of dashes?
    Why only the Ogre chassis?
    Turbo Charger never was about adding speed, it was about adding mobility, allowing for better flanking manouvers.
    This is not how it should be.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    @bisi1968 @SnakeSound222

    Monarch was one of the first titans I maxed the ageis rank with. She did feel bit underwhelming untill the recent buffs to her XO chain gun critical damage. But I do find she's in a good spot now.

    When the game says 'support', and people see that her abilities can grant allies sheilds, I think they expect her to be a medic role and play her as such. Often this means they don't deal enough damage to earn their three cores quickly so can be sabotaging the team despite their best intentions; their healing doesn make up for the lack in team damage.

    Rather, I find what 'support' actualy means is that you provide LMG fire to suppress foes and strip sheilds and health while using smoke as a pseudo personal bubble sheild to recharge your sheild. Allies should then come to your aid to get the sheild benefits and kill targets you prepare for them.

    The game also considers tone as a support, and this is likely due to her sonar pulse giving increased ally damage. So the term support means a titan who relies on other titans to assist them with their damage output; either the support preps, and allies finish (monarch); or the allies prep, and the support finishes (tone).
  • GSWIWG
    6 postsPosts: 6
    @OdysseyHome @SnakeSound222

    I also reached max rank first with Monarch.

    About the healing:
    As I said, the healing does not give you core charge. I think it isn't even recognised, so you are correct, healing doesn't make up for damage. In reality it most definitely should (look at Battlefield for example: you receive 1 xp for every point healed).

    The problem with the LMG stuff is that stripping shields/health and suppression is far better done by Legion with its massive DpS.
    Also: kill the targets YOU prepped? in my experience, that's the other way round! I have to do that, since it gives me health.
    Furthermore: The "Personal Bubble" only gives less than 1/4 of shields, so it's not worth it, since a syphon does about the same for you.

    Also: Tone
    I can see why they say that tone is a support. I gives extra damage and wall hacks with sonar pulse and has the particle wall, which can hide 2 or even 3 titans if used right.

    I'm only talking about FD by the way, not the other two featured game modes, since I think it was just ridiculous.
    And in FD, you can have all sorts of ridiculous things make an entrance, like akimbo Alternators, akimbo pistols or even the Smart Pistol (akimbo?), since there is nothing that could be called OP, since it's PvE.
  • Voidwalker-1998
    139 postsPosts: 143
    bisi1968 wrote: »
    And in FD, you can have all sorts of ridiculous things make an entrance, like akimbo Alternators, akimbo pistols or even the Smart Pistol (akimbo?), since there is nothing that could be called OP, since it's PvE.

    Give me akimbo Amped SMRs and we have a deal.
    'Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat' - They all hurt, the last one kills.
  • GSWIWG
    6 postsPosts: 6
    edited October 2017
    @Voidwalker-1998
    Go to my first post on here, in "Your Titan Concepts", last of the first page. You get akimbo SMRs, alright. (and a Reaper Titan[Concept])
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    @bisi1968

    I'd love it if shielding allies gave core but i fear this would be an exploit. You can get monarchs healing eachother in tandem to upgrade. Still would be nice to get something, maybe some shields.

    Running ET and EF upgrades is sort of a work around. The AoE of EF can hit multiple foes and allies and both suck and give shields. Makes one siphon go a long way. Can get full shields from nuke conga lines if running SA kit.

    Hence why the smoke can assist due the siphon and rearm cooldown. Even with the low amount the benefit is regen, so can help prevent total shield depletion and health damage.

    The prep and ally kill works best with monarch because the XO gun can strip shield and defenses faster than legion due arc rounds and siphon. Legion's execution aegis means if powershot dooms a foe it instantly kills them. Do this on nuke titans and they don't nuke. I don't think people realize this really cool ability and help legions exploit it.

    The rare case exception is energy thief where monarch wants to execute foes. To me this is better in MP. Executions take too much time and can be inconsistent and often put you in danger so health gets needlessly lost. It's fun build but doesn't work well with friend in FD in my experience.

    Plus can always steal batteries manually.
  • Voidwalker-1998
    139 postsPosts: 143
    Legion's execution aegis means if powershot dooms a foe it instantly kills them. Do this on nuke titans and they don't nuke. I don't think people realize this really cool ability and help legions exploit it.

    One of my favorite things to do on FD. I used to main Northstar on FD (And still do when I'm in the mood) but Legion is just so good for it. I love to get a cluster of Nuke Titans and down their health enough so one CQC Powershot wipes the lot of em. But people don't seem to realise that so they just come along and doom one of the nukes, then it's a panic fest as both me and him try to back up so we don't get caught in the blast.

    Nearly got his Aegis maxed and I can't wait - ALL of his kits... Every. Single. One. There's a reason its called "Dreadnought"
    'Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat' - They all hurt, the last one kills.
  • SnakeSound222
    161 postsPosts: 170
    edited October 2017
    @bisi1968

    Monarch was also my first Aegis Rank 20 Titan.
    bisi1968 wrote: »
    bisi1968 wrote: »
    I don't know if this is the best place to post this, but I feel like Monarch is just not getting as much love as it should with the Aegis Upgrades. I mean, it's role is support. But the way they used the Aegis Upgrades to give Monarch a better performance as a Support is a bit sickening in my oppinion, since the only way you can support your friends is by either getting the Energytransfer upgrade or by popping a smoke. The smoke is bad, since you only get ONE per Core and it doesn't give that much shield. Energytransfer is just a waste of a syphon, because it gives WAY too little Shields.
    So this is what Respawn should do in my oppinion:
    Bonus 1: Smoke Generator: Every Core generates 2 charges of smoke, one at 30% and one at 60% or 90%.
    Bonus 2: Replace the Chassis upgrade with Legions Battleship Bonus, since all of Monarchs kits by no means make it OP.
    Bonus 3 stays.
    Bonus 4: Drop the "Level 2" part
    Bonus 5: Since Monarch now has less health and therefore also shields, it might be a good idea to just replace this Bonus with the Superior chassis core upgrade, bringing both shields and health up.
    Bonus 6 stays.
    Bonus 7: Apex Titan: I think that for Monarch to really fill its role as a Support, it needs to drop with the Energytransfer, Rearm and Reload and Energyfield upgrades fitted.

    One more thing about Bonuses 3 and 6: These two could also be fused into one as a means of giving Monarch a better progression concerning bonuses 5 and 7.
    @bisi1968

    I do not, and will never agree with these changes (except the first one) because Monarch is not just a Support Titan. Most of these would ruin Monarch. She is a multi-purpose Titan. That should’ve been obvious considering the different Core upgrades. She should be an Offense/Roamer/Support Titan. Removing her Chassis and Shield Upgrades are horrible ideas and should never be implemented into the game. Respawn shouldn't even think about doing that. Here is what I would change:

    Aegis Rank 2 will now allow your electric smoke to shield yourself and your allies. You can also get three charges per Core (one at 20%, one at 60%, and another at 100%).

    Aegis Rank 8 will now grant your XO-16 a sniper configuration and 50% additional damage against crit spots

    Aegis Rank 11 will now grant your Rocket Salvo increased damage. Normal Rocket Salvo, Missile Racks, and MTMS would be receive double damage (they would do 5,400 damage, 10,800 damage, and 7,200 damage, respectively). Running Missile Racks and MTMS would only give them a 60-70% increase (so it should do somewhere between 11k-12k damage). Doubling the damage from MTMS+Missile Racks would’ve made it strong enough to completely wipe out an Ogre Titan. While this may seem like I’m trying to turn Monarch into the next Ronin, I’m not. The missiles aren’t guaranteed to hit. You can either dodge or block (You’ll always be blocking in the case of MTMS). You can’t block Ronin’s 20 second Sword Core.

    Aegis Rank 17 will now upgrade your Energy Siphon. It will now stun the target for 2-3 seconds, increase the stun effect (it would be more like an Arc Grenade’s, it would be a lot harder to see until the effect wears off), and increase the shield gain by 25% (this would also affect Energy Transfer).

    Aegis Rank 20 will now enable all of Monarch's kits (unsure if Shield Amplifier should stack with her Rank 17 upgrade) and either give her all three tier 1 Core upgrades from the start (she drops with Arc Rounds, Missile Racks, and Energy Transfer installed and you start building your tier 2 Core from the start) or give her one random upgrade from each tier (you would have two Core builds, the one you chose and the random one that Apex Titan created).

    These changes will encourage more players to go out there and try to play Monarch offensively instead of feeling pressured into only playing supportively due to Respawn wanting you too (for some odd reason).

    @SnakeSound222
    About your Ideas:
    Bonus 1: TRIPPLE SMOKE, ARE YOU INSANE? The extra electric smoke Kit would increase that to 6(!11!1111111!1111!!111) SMOKES!!
    **** 6! Maelstroem would be OP as ****, especially outside of FD!
    Bonus 3: Ok (basically what I suggested)
    Bonus 4: That's 14.4k damage per salvo, rearm would mean a combo of 28.8k damage
    Bonus 5: Ok, just think about combining this with your previous Missile upgrade. You can't see and move slower, so you probably will get hit. You don't know where the missiles are coming from, so you might not be able to block.
    I don't think that Respawn nerfed the syphon's effect for no reason.
    Bonus 7: OK?!
    Bonus 1: No it doesn’t. It only gives one extra smoke charge. You will not get six unless you simply don’t use your smoke. I have decided to change it up a bit and make it so if you are running Counter Ready, then you will receive the two smokes at 20% and the third at 100%. No fourth charge.
    Bonus 4: I never said 14k. The highest I said was 12k, and that was with Missile Racks and MTMS.
    Bonus 5; You can just use cover. If the Monarch flanks you, then just turn around and block it. Ronin’s Sword Block is surprisingly able to block attacks even when his back is facing the attack.
    bisi1968 wrote: »
    .
    Following: What's wrong with being a support? Games like LoL don't have them for no reason. A Support is important to the teams survival (and therefore the successfull defense). It was just depressing to me that Monarchs Upgrades completely **** her over in the damage department, which destroyed her multi-purpose build and didn't even give enough of a incentive to play as a Support, which is one of her mulit-purpose roles.
    Nothing, it’s just not my playstyle.
    bisi1968 wrote: »
    Furthermore: I really hate the random part of Monarchs last upgrade. It forces you to either destroy your titan or play a style you don't like. So please don't.
    About the "horrible idea": Did you even consider the rest of my suggestions?
    I gave her the Superior chassis Core upgrade!! That makes her stronger than Legion/Scorch because it removes her weaknesses AND gives her 2 or 3 blocks of health (can't remember). With the chassis and shield upgrade, that makes her near indestructible in FD. So those two got pulled in order to give more space for other upgrades.
    My random suggestion was in case Respawn still decided to make her upgrade random. If they don't and allow her to drop with all three tier 1 upgrades or a second Core build of your choice (I'd go with Arc Rounds, Missile Racks, Maelstrom, Rearm and Reload, Superior Chassis, and XO-16 Accelerator if that happened. I'd replace Rearm and Reload with Energy Field, but you don't get extra shield from stunning two or more targets when Energy Field is active)

    Your suggestions do not make her stronger than Ogre Titans. Their Chassis Upgrades give them six bars of health and Scorch's Tempered Plating kit now removes crit spots and makes him immune to his own thermite. Superior Chassis gives her two extra health bars and removes crit spots. She can have seven health bars with Superior Chassis and the Chassis Upgrade. Giving her all of her kits at Rank 5 would be waste of the spot. That's why I combined it with the extra Core upgrades (whether it be random, all three tier 1 upgrades, or an extra Core build of your choice) of her Rank 20 upgrade.
    bisi1968 wrote: »
    One more thing about the support thing.
    What really **** me off is the following:
    When I pop a smoke and help my team or waste a syphon on a teammate, I don't get any core charge. It's like nothing happened. I don't know if you get credits, because I haven't tested that, but I am pretty certain that it isn't even registered beyond the awards at the end of the round.
    One more general thing: Turbo Charger
    That thing **** me off now. Specifically because of the split description.
    Why not give the Titans their original set of dashes?
    Why only the Ogre chassis?
    Turbo Charger never was about adding speed, it was about adding mobility, allowing for better flanking manouvers.
    This is not how it should be.
    Yeah I agree the fact that you don't get Core charge from shielding allies is ****. There's even less incentive to play her supportively because of that.

    Turbo Engine only gives extra speed to Ogre Titans because giving them two dashes would be OP. It would be extremely difficult to escape Thermal Shield rushes. I do agree about not giving the Titans their original set of dashes. Some people have tried to say that it's part of the lore (I don't believe that though, unless someone at EA or Respawn says it's official).
    Legion's execution aegis means if powershot dooms a foe it instantly kills them. Do this on nuke titans and they don't nuke. I don't think people realize this really cool ability and help legions exploit it.

    One of my favorite things to do on FD. I used to main Northstar on FD (And still do when I'm in the mood) but Legion is just so good for it. I love to get a cluster of Nuke Titans and down their health enough so one CQC Powershot wipes the lot of em. But people don't seem to realise that so they just come along and doom one of the nukes, then it's a panic fest as both me and him try to back up so we don't get caught in the blast.

    Nearly got his Aegis maxed and I can't wait - ALL of his kits... Every. Single. One. There's a reason its called "Dreadnought"
    This so much. I have players see me destroy all types of Titans with my CQC Power Shot without dooming them and they still try to go for the kill themselves. Why? BECAUZE ITS MAI KILLLLL BOIII!!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!!!11111!!1!!!! I NEEDZ MAI POINTZ!!!1111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Davis or Droz should say something "Hey, pay attention to that Legion. It can destroy Titans without dooming them. Help him out if he's in deep trouble". Hopefully players will then understand and stop being so selfish. If the Legion is surrounded, then obviously he will need backup so that's when you go in and either destroy Titans or lower their health enough so that Legion can execute them.

    Rank 20 Legion is a beast. It's so fun to play with him at that rank.

  • GSWIWG
    6 postsPosts: 6
    @SnakeSound222

    I'm not gonna quote, cause that would be too long.

    About Bonus one: Since I don't have the source code, I can't really tell, but I'm pretty sure that whatever system they use to give you an electric smoke, it isn't just a "+1". I'm pretty sure that it's a x2. +1 is the same as x2 in our experience, since 1+1 is the same as 1x2, namely 2. And they don't come at different intervals, so that seals it for me. (And extra lines mean extra chance of bugs)

    Bonus 4: Yes, you never said 14k, but why would anyone want to choose a **** lock on if it doesn't provide sufficient other advantages. Not just does it take too much time, it also doesn't hit that hard and is relatively easily outmanouverable even for Auto titans.
    Also, just 20% improvement for an entire tree that focuses on just the missiles?
    Can you imagine a bug in that system? Suddenly people find exploits that allow them to do even more damage, potentially breaking Monarch, or the damage boost doesn't go as planned and doesn't come into effect or is weaker. It just adds complexity.
    I just use MTMS on my monarch because of the damage buff together with Missiles, otherwise I would choose Superior chassis and never die (in FD).

    Bonus 5: "Just use cover?" I have played WoT, and my friend, cover is never there when you need it.
    Yeah, Ronin's SB shouldn't block the back, but the other thing is that it still lets 90% or so through, that's 2.4k damage possible. Also, I've never experienced it, but do you get a message when Monarch locks onto you? If not, that's a problem.

    This is how far I got. Then I looked at the entire thing again and realised this: I don't need to fight, because that is what I'm doing now.
    I just felt tremendously attacked by you saying the chassis and shield parts are horrible ideas.
    I just don't understand why it's "horrible" to give Monarch one of her strongest upgrades in exchange for only one bar of health if going for that upgrade in particular (which I don't think anyone advises looking at in FD), bringing her up to Scorch levels of survivability.
    You could have chosen some better wording that was a bit more diplomatic about saying that you don't like it.

    The main other reason I have a gripe with your ideas is because they seem to add massive complexity.
    Should I just say that your Ideas are complete **** because they require massive changes to both code and balance? That same argument could be made for my ideas btw(but I don't think as much). Now if you really like the standard Chassis/ Shield upgrade every titan gets in FD so much, you just as much could have used the option I gave for upgrades 3 and 6 to be fused and then retained those upgrades.

    However I have also seen a post that wanted Apex-Titan to just allow us to loop back around after finishing our path, which would also be interesting. I just kept with adding specific upgrades that would enhance Monarchs ability to fill its supporting role.

    One last thing:
    You and I put a lot of thought into our suggestions.
    I think that you are right, your upgrade path would encourage players to run around more aggressively, so if that is what we would go for, I would concede.
    However I think that if we were going for that supporting role, my path would be better.
    Now we can talk about Shields and Chassis and strategy and playstyle all night long, so let's just lay it to rest.
    Have a good day/night and see you under more preferable circumstances.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2017
    @Voidwalker-1998

    Dreadnaught is rather a hidden buff IMO. You feel more powerful all of a sudden but don't really know why.

    Dreadnaught:
    tmh-logo.png
  • Voidwalker-1998
    139 postsPosts: 143
    Just on the topic of Legion in FD:

    Played a match yesterday on Rise and the 3 other monarchs just watched me as a slowly walked forward down the main corridor, cutting everything down with Smart Core and CQC Power Shot finishers, the whole kill feed being spammed with Predator Cannon/Power Shot kills...

    Good lord, that felt epic...
    'Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat' - They all hurt, the last one kills.
  • Any titan is great except monarch since it doesn't have enough damage. and don't forget to run nuke eject.

    for loadouts
    Ion: doesn't matter, I personally run spliter lens
    Northstar: Pieceing shot or double tether, depending on if there is a good choke point
    Legion: extra ammo or double power shot, unless you are at rank 20, then who gives a ****
    Ronin: If you are not running highlander, you are wrong
    Tone: Amp pwall, pulse echo or extra rocket. I personally take pulse echo unless we need extra DPS, then i'll pick extra rocket.
    Scorch: everything except scorch earth... SE is a meme. I personally run temp plate since I think taking self damage is ****.
    Monarch: it's a meme, but if you insist, then run Energy thief, arc rounds, rearm reload/ amp smoke, accelerator.
    "Some of you may consider this overkill. It is"
  • Voidwalker-1998
    139 postsPosts: 143
    @ToxicApollo117 I find nuke eject to be a waste on FD since I've seen that the enemy titans quickly move away from your titan before it detonates... I personally just run mostly turbo engine on all of my titans except for Northstar.
    'Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat' - They all hurt, the last one kills.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    Nuked enemies don't earn any resources like titan core or smokes or pilots getting titan meter; so it can be rather wasteful to over-nuke. Sure you come first on the leader board due to score kills, but really your just sucking too much damage out of the game and compromising your allies effectiveness.

    I had this argument in the Ronin thread. Highlander and Nuke is not good Ronin FD play. It's easy, game rewards it via scoring system, but it's much better to be a team player: Ronin is the unique titan to be able to debuff enemy defensive abilities...

    He's a butler: "Would you like an arc wave in your lane sir scorch?"
  • Dinorush13
    680 postsPosts: 689 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    Nuke Eject is far better than any other option on Master+ because you take so much damage. While they may dodge, preventing the enemies from firing temporarily and nuking nuke titans can be extremely useful. Any difficulty lower and you don't really need the best kits to win.

    Ronin, ironically, is not very good at roaming. He's better off hanging near harvester ready to destroy enemies with core if necessary. Otherwise, he just plays really passive and goes for mortars if there's a clear path. If he has to go through enemies, he could take too much damage to even kill the mortars.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    @Dinorush13

    I find the main benefit of nuke is that it mainly bypasses the need for team coordination. If the team is struggling then I can see why nukes are so popular, but like I said it takes out damage dealing opportunity from the game.

    If one ally nukes six titans as they spawn but your allies don't have titans, those titans could have been safely bleed for titan meter and batteries and titan core and allow your team to be better prepared for the next round spawn wave of AI... I find people don't think like this sadly: they focus on the battle not the war. So they think "I'm so skillful killing those 6 titans with my nuke, I helped the team" and don't consider that what they actually did was bad for the team due to how damage dealing earns player resources. So if no one is play for the team then it's best if everyone plays selfishly: aka Nuke eject.

    The other reason why nuke is perceived as good is because people generally stick too close to the harvester since they don't realize that titans spawn in the distance until they are experience with the mode. So AI walk from long to mid field uncontested, then meet the resistance of the FD team. But by the time the AI gets to the harvester new AI are spawning, and if one FD titan dies, then you suddenly have a flood of healthy AI at the harvester that can't be dealt with... Unless people go nuclear.

    It's always better for titans to occupy the middle field so they can block the march of AI to the harvester. You can then fall back and damage enemies as you do so. This way if AI get to the harvester they're weakened so allies can kill them easily, and exploit them to recover if they died and need to earn a titan fast... But this depends on team coordination, right titans being at right places at right times...

    About ronin and 'roamers'

    I find the term roamer is a bit misleading. I feel it means that the titan is mobile so can roam between allies to reinforce them and then kill reapers and mortars when they spawn. So a ronin is really good at helping allies bypass enemy defensive abilities by stealing their attention and arc waving them. This basically allows the ally to deal more damage without the need to re-position or burn through defenses then reload in a compromising situation. Unfortunately selfish play incentivizes the nuke + highlander Ronin build. I'm noticing people instantly quitting FD if someone selects ronin now because this team-sabotaging playstyle it's so prevalent...

    ION is in a similar place. She's rather good at moving around the map reinforcing allies with traps and splitter stream. She can prep targets and burn through defenses for allies to assist them take down targets.

    I actually like mortar titans because you can exploit them for batteries. Park your titan out of their range, disembark, use gun fire to strip shield, rodeo, call titan to you and tell it to guard if it does more damage at range than up close (like scorch or ronin). You can then embark to buff your titan up and deal with the mortar titans much quicker than just trying to damage them with only titan abilities.

    But the key point about 'roamers' is that they work best when reinforcing allies hold their lanes, rather than trying to roam the map killing things by themselves... Supports are less mobile so generally stick with one lane but their abilities buff ally abilities such as tone's sonar pulse and monarchs smoke...

    I'm not a fan of the 'role' terminology. It's very vague and people can get confused due to different interpretations...
  • L453R-634M
    12 postsPosts: 18
    I find that Highlander Ronin is a must for Homestead
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    L453R-634M wrote: »
    I find that Highlander Ronin is a must for Homestead

    How come @L453R-634M ?

    In my experience Homestead you have four paths the AI will take to the harvester. Far left, Far right, middle left, middle right. Middle locations are near the big tower. AI will basically always move in a line to the tower. They don't cross over to other lanes like they can do in the map Rise, only the mortars and sniper titans move horizontally. Sniper perches on the raise cliff, mortars fill the horizontal ally ways or the middle of the map.

    So Ronin can quickly intercept enemies if he runs through the 'alley' way that runs horizontally through the middle of the map, so under the passageway by the water wheel, and in the creek bed with the other passage way near the radio tower were mortar specters spawn. The phase dash distance helps immensely. Ronins that stay near the harvester I find would have difficult 'keeping up' with the game; hence the strong highlander preference.

    But really on homestead you can stay in the corridors to arc wave lines of nuke titans to help other titans kill them like scorch or legion. Can move to the far left or right via the middle alley to chase foes and stun them to assist allies and slow lines down so they are weakened before they get to the harvester.

    Only real issue for ronin is the arc ronins that spawn. If you allies help you kill them like scorches and legions they're easy; but they move quickly, and if one gets to the harvester, its a world of pain unless you doom it to stop the arc field effect.

    I find Homestead really easy to play as a ronin since the distance between these 'choke' points where you can help allies kill lines of foes by arc waving is rather short compared to something like war games.
  • L453R-634M
    12 postsPosts: 18
    I like getting that extended Sword Core vs Homestead's final wave of Nuke Titans. But I've only beaten this map on Hard so that may not be as effective on Master/Insane
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!