Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

How to use A-Wall

RedShield55
1366 postsPosts: 1,456 ✭✭✭
This is for A-wall.
I have been very bummed at the very low amount of use this tactical gets. Earlier in this games life everyone complained that everyone used it and it got nerfed.
But I refuse to stand by this. So I use it. The best part is seeing the utter look of failure on people's faces. (Even without facial expressions.)

It's a good suprise. Cloak, grapple, holo, those won't do very good in the heat of battle. But when the enemy thinks they got you dead, a suprise A-wall can help turn that fight around.

Begin placing the A-W before entering the combat so that when you touch down, it comes with you. Great for clearing out large groups of people. However, it's current touch down speed isn't very quick and discourages the use of short range weapons like the shotguns or the SMGs. I use the flatline.

Defend your A-wall. The hard part is defending, but that might change depending on weapon loadout. With the flatline (a mid to long range) killing someone at close range is alot more difficult, with the odds switched on the CAR or the Volt. When your A-wall is placed, you can bet people are going to jump over it. This way you don't get the shield or the amp. To prevent this, spend the whole time moving around behind the A-wall. Think about angles and try to kill them before they get up. If they do, move. Confining yourself behind that spot will get you killed. Works once out of three.

Phase Shifts. These guys are just too funny. When fighting, watch for phase shifts in front of you, to the sides, and what not. When someone phases, take out your nade (I prefer frag) and then move. Gain altitude and move back away from the wall. (On the shoot through side) When they come out, chances are they will be right where you were, facing where you were for an easy execution. Frag 'em.

For the maximum amount of A-walls put Tactikill on your gun, and Power cell on the pilot. The A-wall's cooldown will lower in save so you get it faster once the A-wall finishes. Post Tactikill nerf, you need 4 kills to get a new A-wall on the spot. However, doubles and triples are more common. This is where power cell comes in. Your A-wall will be wasted. I have gone into fights many a times where I had 5 marks. By the time I can fight (half a second later) all marks are gone. Power cell is more forgiving allowing you to get your a-wall back quite fast. I am yet to time it. Remember Minions do NOT count for Tactikill.

Never put your A-wall in the same spot twice. With power Cell and Tactikill, you can get your A-walls fast enough to allow you to adapt to the fight. No more sitting there waiting for that mark to come out of their cover. Go over there, kill them, then move your A-wall there!

A-Wall doesn't have to be for camping. Often I place it, get ONE kill instantly, then leave!
Help I'm trapped in a signature factory

Comments

• RaulSchalke04
    51 postsPosts: 63
    Do you have videos of you using A-Wall?

I would love to see. Currently I use A-Wall exclusive for FD combined with Devotion. its just logic, all you fight is minions in FD and they are dumb, you dont need good mobility, so fire power is number one and A-Wall can give you that. Sometimes I killed Titans with Charge Rifle through A-Wall.
  • RedShield55
    Do you have videos of you using A-Wall?

I would love to see. Currently I use A-Wall exclusive for FD combined with Devotion. its just logic, all you fight is minions in FD and they are dumb, you dont need good mobility, so fire power is number one and A-Wall can give you that. Sometimes I killed Titans with Charge Rifle through A-Wall.

I fell in love with the Spitfire in Frontier Defense because it can just kind of shoot forever. Paired through an A-wall your target will go down faster.
    As for videos of using A-wall, I never really considered actually doing that purely because of the fact that A-wall is very frowned upon. I'll consider it.

P.S. One of the best parts of A-wall is purely the fact that it blocks damage. It can be used as just pocket cover. Pull it out when you need it and BAM, cover. (Unless you die because it takes so long to pull out.)
  • RaulSchalke04
    edited August 2017
    So after Spitfire buffed and Devotion nerfed, now Spitfire is better than Devotion?

I watch some videos on youtube about this buff/nerf. Devotion was OP in the past they say.

The only exp Im using Spitfire was on campaign which I feel unpleasant with the recoils.

I feel good using Devotion (but still with cloak combo, too affraid using A-Wall outside FD). Last night I use devotion in several attrition matches and I was doing ok. Once I can get 13 kills on colony, Im very happy :))

The one downside of Devotion is the slow startup. In face to face situation if we just late starting up the devotion and enemies using SMG or AR, we die.

One more, just curious, can enemy Pilot get pass our A-Wall and punch us?
  • RedShield55
    So after Spitfire buffed and Devotion nerfed, now Spitfire is better than Devotion?

I watch some videos on youtube about this buff/nerf. Devotion was OP in the past they say.

The only exp Im using Spitfire was on campaign which I feel unpleasant with the recoils.

I feel good using Devotion (but still with cloak combo, too affraid using A-Wall outside FD). Last night I use devotion in several attrition matches and I was doing ok. Once I can get 13 kills on colony, Im very happy :))

The one downside of Devotion is the slow startup. In face to face situation if we just late starting up the devotion and enemies using SMG or AR, we die.

First, the Devotion was nerfed pretty hard back in early 2017. There was this time right in the first few months where the meta was totally different. Right now on PC its Stim and Grapple with SMG dominating the meta, and then on the other two consoles its (Don't quote me on this) Assault rifles. (I don't know about tacticals) But back in like January, What we had were games that would run like this:
    "The Frontier is worth every part of this fight!"
    Fall.
    Run forward
    Bounce out of spawn
    Killed by a player shooting the Devotion through an A-wall so far away they can barely see you.
    Spawn
    Run forward
    Bounce out of spawn
    Killed by a player shooting the Devotion through an A-wall so far away they can barely see you. (Different player this time)
    Spawn
    Run forward
    Bounce out of spawn
    Killed by a player shooting the Devotion through an A-wall so far away they can barely see you. (Original player this time)
    Spawn
    Run Forward
    Bounce out of spawn
    Killed by Tone instantly
    Call down titan
    Tone kills you and takes very little damage herself
    Repeat!
    This got really annoying really fast. It would happen that of the 12 people in the match, 9 or 10 of the were using Tone. You would find 4 or so Devotion A-wall combo users, and it was powerful because the amped shots being blasted out at top speed, with a protective wall to protect you during charge up. The Devotion already charged up in like 1 second, and would fire at high speeds for several seconds.
    This is where a lot of the hate in the community was placed on A-wall, Devotion, and Tone. After the nerfs, Tone was brought back in line, you almost never see a devotion anymore because of how innacurate and slow it is, and A-wall is now alot more situational and requires a different playstyle than from the current meta.
    Even though these 3 items got nerfed, the hate lingered around. It seems that around Monarch's Reign the hate on Tone moved to Ronin, (and a little Monarch) The Devotion lost its hate to the R-x01s for the last month or so, but no one has yet taken it from the A-Wall. I have had times where i would see comments (you can find this one under the Postcards from the Frontier Trailer) saying: "I like the new execution, its simple. Like A-wall users." But if these people would actually use it, they would find that its the hardest tactical to use, and its not like you can go online and find tutorials as no one uses it, as every one thinks its too easy to use. It's not. If you try to use it as reactive, you dead. If you try to use it for camping in one place, good luck with staying alive there. Thats another problem. After A-wall was used for camping earlier this year, thats all people think its useful for. Give it powercell and Tactikill and you seem to have an A-wall in almost every confrontation. (Still trying to pick out a gun, moved from Flatline to G2 and now on R-101 to use with it)
  • RedShield55

yes
  • RaulSchalke04
    Ya, I saw this video posted by gamesager before A-Wall nerf, but he combine it with Hemlok, and also Pilot Sentry. Its enough to kill Pilot in one burst shot. Almost all players use A-Wall. Definitely a Broken Loadout.. LOL
  • RedShield55
    Ya, I saw this video posted by gamesager before A-Wall nerf, but he combine it with Hemlok, and also Pilot Sentry. Its enough to kill Pilot in one burst shot. Almost all players use A-Wall. Definitely a Broken Loadout.. LOL

Yeah not anymore bucko. I tried Hemlock it took two bursts even amped, (defeating the purpose of amping it) no one uses A-wall anymore, there is a slight increase right now, but only for the execution. I wish A-wall had a visible health bar, when it destroyed the cooldown started then, and it placed a lot faster. It would solve a lot of problems with it in my opinion. (That and Hemlock used to get one burst kill regardless of amp didn't it?) Amped weapons drops the amount of bullets needed to kill by I think one. If the gun fires out 3 shots, it will still launch the third regardless if needed. This means that even though its amped, it still takes the same amount of time to kill a pilot as before.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭

That was old vid before hemlock was nerfed. Same goes for dmr sniper and wingman pistol.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    For me the best gun that pairs well with the a wall is the spitfire. Did this even before spitfire buff; looking forward to trying it again. Ammo mod give 80 bullets, trigger disipline and you don't need to reload!

SMR can be kinda cool with a wall. Can suprise titans and kill them as they try to melee you. Problem though is projectiles take time to get to distant targets.

Theoretically the double take sniper could be real good with a wall but haven't tried it yet. Ricochet and ammo with irons.

Charge rifle with hack mod is fun to use with a wall; but archer is real deadly.

Hammond or wing elite pistols are rather good side arms with wall. Wingman used to be good but side arm nerf means a one shot is now two and the wingman's fire rate is slow.

This is one of the more tricky tacticals to use for me as i'm used to being mobile with wall running. Its rather potent if you play defensively so map hack to prevent being flanked is a useful boost.

But then the screen turns orange and finding red / yellow targets is tricky...
  • RedShield55
    For me the best gun that pairs well with the a wall is the spitfire. Did this even before spitfire buff; looking forward to trying it again. Ammo mod give 80 bullets, trigger disipline and you don't need to reload!

SMR can be kinda cool with a wall. Can suprise titans and kill them as they try to melee you. Problem though is projectiles take time to get to distant targets.

Theoretically the double take sniper could be real good with a wall but haven't tried it yet. Ricochet and ammo with irons.

Charge rifle with hack mod is fun to use with a wall; but archer is real deadly.

Hammond or wing elite pistols are rather good side arms with wall. Wingman used to be good but side arm nerf means a one shot is now two and the wingman's fire rate is slow.

This is one of the more tricky tacticals to use for me as i'm used to being mobile with wall running. Its rather potent if you play defensively so map hack to prevent being flanked is a useful boost.

But then the screen turns orange and finding red / yellow targets is tricky...

This is interesting.
    Spitfire is very nice with A-wall, I actually have it equipped with my A-wall pilot. I will have to give Archer a spin.
    The double take would be good, but its damage drop off point is extremely early, like its a projectile with damage drop off. I shot through the A-wall and dealt a little under half health.
    If you find a good gun that works with wall running and can utilize the long range of A-wall, then A-wall can be a reflexive tactical, as placing it mid fight is extremely fun and practical. Then, everyone has this fixed mind set when it comes to how to fight an a-wall. Titans will dash forward and melee, and if you time your jump, you can come out in a rodeo. Don't stay there long though, they will know and smoke you. Monarch on the other hand, will almost always use the rocket salvo, and let me warn you, it will rip down the shield and then blow you up, so you will want to get one or two hits off and then run (unless its Archer, in which case if you get one you are lucky), of course, if they see you.
    Most Phase Shift pilots will attempt to phase shift through the shield and then execute/melee/shoot you from behind. So make sure to watch out for phase shifts as I said in the original post.
    Stim pilots will almost always try to go above the shield, so try to gain some momentum heading away from it so you get a chance to shoot.
    A-walls, I have had some fun in an A-wall v. A-wall match which comes down to who can take down the other guys shield first, and as I never see many A-walls I don't know what guns are best against a-wall, when shot through a-wall.
    Grapple will try to go above you, match stim tactics
    Pulse blade is the same as stim.
    Cloak I believe will just go around and try to sneak up.
  • RedShield55
    Man this guide imo is dated, now that i've gotten better with A-wall.