Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Northstar vs Monarch

TheMightyM0
434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
Okay, so I know its still less than a week since Monarch dropped (you see what I did there?) but I have been having a hard time dealing with it in my Northstar, because I struggle to do consistent damage at range that the shield steal and battery mechanics don't mitigate, and up close, you're obviously kind of screwed. I don't have much problem beating up on every other titan in the game but right now Monarch is kind of in the same "how do I deal with this?!" spot that Tone originally was.

Rather than whine and moan, though, I want to see what kind of tips you all have so far for beating Monarch in a one on one.

Comments

• ProfArs
    1284 postsPosts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    Tbh, I haven't thought of a full proof strategy either. Not from a lack of trying. I usually don't have a problem 1v1 but I'm CONSTANTLY getting double or triple teamed by Monarchs so I swapped to Tone to be a **** back. But I'm getting off track.

Since Monarch has no shields, you have to bait them into positions you want them to be. I usually put shots into Monarch while it isn't paying attention to me and make them walk into tether traps and subsequently some cluster missiles. The key is to stay as close to corners as possible and making then walk into positions that are only beneficial to you. Monarchs rip NS players who chill in the open, so popping in and out of corners while not giving out your position too readily is one way to go about it.

You can also play the extreme long range strat and keep poking Monarch while half-way across the map. It's difficult because of the shot placement and predicting Monarch's movement but if you get good at it, she will never get close enough to you long enough for it to matter. I will probably be 1 v 1ing my friends who play Monarch to get a better read on her and I would advise trying to do the same.
    I am a Potato beyond Potatoes. I... am a Super Potato!
  • KrissrocK
    9 postsPosts: 12
    Monarch is too powerful in it's current state...The fact that it can get batteries with every core upgrade, steal batteries from kills, and constantly recharge it's own through combat...it's a huge advantage, even without a shield. I really think they need roll back some of Monarch's abilities. At least not have it get shields with core charges...Monarch breaks this game. Just like they broke tone through every successive update.
  • TheMightyM0
    edited June 2017
    While I do kind of agree that there will need to be tinkering on Monarch, I'd rather look at how to work against what we have to deal with currently than worry about what Respawn might do to tweak the new titan. I don't have any direct control over what they do, so I might as well us the opportunity fighting at a disadvantage to become better. Just think - when Respawn does inevitably fiddle with Monarch, all of us who have had to adapt will be able to stomp on it because we'll have to learn to fight it to a better degree.

Well, that's how I'm looking at it now. :P
  • TheMightyM0
    ProfArs wrote: »
    Tbh, I haven't thought of a full proof strategy either. Not from a lack of trying. I usually don't have a problem 1v1 but I'm CONSTANTLY getting double or triple teamed by Monarchs so I swapped to Tone to be a **** back. But I'm getting off track.

Since Monarch has no shields, you have to bait them into positions you want them to be. I usually put shots into Monarch while it isn't paying attention to me and make them walk into tether traps and subsequently some cluster missiles. The key is to stay as close to corners as possible and making then walk into positions that are only beneficial to you. Monarchs rip NS players who chill in the open, so popping in and out of corners while not giving out your position too readily is one way to go about it.

You can also play the extreme long range strat and keep poking Monarch while half-way across the map. It's difficult because of the shot placement and predicting Monarch's movement but if you get good at it, she will never get close enough to you long enough for it to matter. I will probably be 1 v 1ing my friends who play Monarch to get a better read on her and I would advise trying to do the same.

I've been having that same problem too. Had a few games where I got into fights with one on one Monarchs and out of nowhere another Monarch shows up. So far, when that has happened, all I have really been able to do is start teabagging so I at least can smile ruefully and sometimes laugh out loud as everyone stops shooting and we have a crazy titan **** party.

What are some things to really watch out for when fighting Monarch? I haven't been playing much since the other day because I had to go to the hospital but when I get back I want more ideas for how to deal with that thing.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't played Northstar in a while because I've been trying to get all other titans to Gen 10. I had a crazy love affair with north star and plasma rail gun is still my most used and most efficient weapon in my game stats; it's deadly powerful!

Playing monarch, you really want to avoid losing health so getting shields up at range using siphon and rearm together is an initial phase before then going on the offensive. So North-Stars are rather potent at range because they can instantly drop Monarch's shields with on charged bullet. Monarch can melt unaware North-Stars easily and it's hard to react when you're being stunned and melted with XO fire.

The best North-stars fight at range and have great situational awareness. So Northstar is still a very potent titan. It just learning pains from seeing how the new titan changes the game.

I'd love it if there was better telegraphing of Monarchs power level. Is that a lvl -0,1,2,3 Monarch. It always sucks going for a close quarter kill and then poophf.. Maelstrom!
  • ProfArs
    1284 postsPosts: 1,312 ✭✭✭
    Now that I think about it, if I were facing Monarch, which is becoming more and more rare as Bangarang called a while ago, I would just pull out a Legion and call it. Northstar can dominate, and she's still my fave, but not as easily as Legion. Northstar killing Monarch via execution is a bit too satisfying tho.
    I am a Potato beyond Potatoes. I... am a Super Potato!