Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

How to Git Gud

TheMightyM0
434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
I'm one of those guys who is really quick to pick up game mechanics and learn how to play a game, and Titanfall is no different for me. My problem is that I seem to hit a very early plateau of skill, and I don't ever seen to improve. Meanwhile, I feel that there are a lot of other players who surpass me very quickly, and there cones a point where I am consistently last place on the losing team. Okay, not always (yes always, on Glitch), but I feel like my pilot play is kind of abysmal and my Northstar skill is only marginal (although I don't have a problem beating 90% of the other Northstars I run into).

My question, then, is how do you guys work on improving? I have several days worth of time on the game, and I read tips and tricks, watch videos, and have even been practicing gravity boosting off walls and over buildings (which is a ton of fun, if you can pull it off). So my question more specifically is how do I win more gun battles? I have been gradually becoming disgusted by my poor Hemlok and Sidewinder skills, and I am very streaky with the R-97. The weapon I'm most consistent with lately is the R-101, and so that's kind of what I'm working with.

Any suggestions for how I can improve my game? I'm not looking for tips on how to play, but rather how to get better at playing because I am very much representing Team Potato and its bothering me that I don't seem to get better.

Comments

• OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm one of those guys who is really quick to pick up game mechanics and learn how to play a game, and Titanfall is no different for me. My problem is that I seem to hit a very early plateau of skill, and I don't ever seen to improve. Meanwhile, I feel that there are a lot of other players who surpass me very quickly, and there cones a point where I am consistently last place on the losing team. Okay, not always (yes always, on Glitch), but I feel like my pilot play is kind of abysmal and my Northstar skill is only marginal (although I don't have a problem beating 90% of the other Northstars I run into).

My question, then, is how do you guys work on improving? I have several days worth of time on the game, and I read tips and tricks, watch videos, and have even been practicing gravity boosting off walls and over buildings (which is a ton of fun, if you can pull it off). So my question more specifically is how do I win more gun battles? I have been gradually becoming disgusted by my poor Hemlok and Sidewinder skills, and I am very streaky with the R-97. The weapon I'm most consistent with lately is the R-101, and so that's kind of what I'm working with.

Any suggestions for how I can improve my game? I'm not looking for tips on how to play, but rather how to get better at playing because I am very much representing Team Potato and its bothering me that I don't seem to get better.

To me it sounds like you've been using SMG / ARs and have specialized in that play style but now when you try other weapons you try to use them like a SMG / AR and thus have difficulty. This is the majority of players IMO since SMG / ARs are considered meta due the gospel of you-tubers, so watching them does you a disservice in the long run, you stop thinking for yourself, and trying to learn, experiment, adapt...

I play on Xbox 1 and gravitated to variable zoom sniper, silenced side-arm, cloak, satchel charges, low profile and fast regen once I got out of the unlocking grind at the start of the MP career because I like this style of play (I'm a masochist) as it's challenging, especially when majority player are using CQC weapons.

So I looked at my stats the other day. ~2300 games played, 1500 games in top three, 500 games MVP. So that's ~300 games where I've been less than third place. My most played mode is attrition (due to the late launch of mix-tape), and my most played titan was Northstar, but I've almost got equal time in all titans now since I'm exploring all weapons kits etc. So for a player that uses 'under-powered' non-meta weapons that's pretty high (I was surprised, as I really just play for the fun and don't really care about stats or boasting).

Learning to use all weapons is invaluable because when you know how to use something you know how it can be used against you. This increases your capacity to 'predict' a players likely behaviour and act on that rather than reacting.

On aspect is load-out building. It's possible to set yourself up to fail if you make a PvP focused build and play attrition and the enemy drops their titans. Ordinance occupy spectrum of Anti-titan vs Anti-pilot. AT weapons have different ranges and purposes. If you make a poor build you hamper your potential.

So my rules are if I use an anti-personnel ordinance I use an AT weapon. If I use a AT ordinance I use a side-arm. I use low profile only with cloak, hover with grapple, and kill report / phase embark with all others. (I haven't found a good use for wall hang yet). If my gun shoots projectiles make sure the side arm is hit scan (encase of g-star users or I use a g-star); or vice versa. Use frag with phase, satchel with cloak, g-star with stim, smoke with holo, stun with pulse, and fire star with grapple.

The second aspect is focused practice. Spend some games in private bounty hunt just killing minions and practicing. In matches people get tunnel vision and chase kills, they don't think, so use this private match to focus and train (I want to practice on accuracy / wall running this map / melee etc). One match in private match is worth 2 actual matches.

What happens then is you then become a more broad player and thus a better player.
  • TheMightyM0
    434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That is good advice. I'm glad for the tips, because even though I've been mainly using SMGs and ARs lately, i seriously suck with them. Ironically I used to be reasonably good with a pistol as primary, Sidewinder for everything else, g-star and pulseblade loadout, because I could usually outmaneuver other players. Especially on Glitch, though, I seem to have dropped off quite a bit in wall running while shooting and aiming, so it would be good to go back to some practice on that. I did want to try out a Kraber loadout because I like that thing quite a bit, so I will load up with cloak and an RE-45 or something and try it out again.
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    That is good advice. I'm glad for the tips, because even though I've been mainly using SMGs and ARs lately, i seriously suck with them. Ironically I used to be reasonably good with a pistol as primary, Sidewinder for everything else, g-star and pulseblade loadout, because I could usually outmaneuver other players. Especially on Glitch, though, I seem to have dropped off quite a bit in wall running while shooting and aiming, so it would be good to go back to some practice on that. I did want to try out a Kraber loadout because I like that thing quite a bit, so I will load up with cloak and an RE-45 or something and try it out again.

Most players are using AR / SMG so when you fight against another AR / SMG user you share the same kill zone (i.e. your effective range is there effective range). So usually what happens is you kill person X but then get killed by person Y unless you use some ability / ordinance to assist with escapes.

The side-arms however are more effective than SMGs at extreme close range due to their damage and fire rates. With a silencer attached you can be an assassin because people don't expect other players to use silenced pistols, since the 'meta' is AR / SMG + AT weapon. The weakness of side-arms though is that you lack multi-kill potential compared with primaries due the small clip size, so its best to use hit n run tactics with those weapons.

In an ideal world everyone would use something random, but in reality some load-out combos are not viable, so there is a skewed bias in the player population. Most players will uses either an AR or SMG simply due to there being more ARs and SMGs in the game than other 'niche' weapons. So learning to snipe can actually make you rather lethal since you can attack foes from beyond their effective range; or use the pistol within your effective range to kill them before they can kill you.

A general rule in life is: "Do as they do, then ask why they do what they do, then don't do as they do, then do as you do".
  • ProfArs
    1284 postsPosts: 1,312 ✭✭✭

I'm an above average player and I can tell you that my skill has been on a decline because I stopped playing for about 3 months. However, I have started getting back in my stride and I'll tell you how you break out of this plateau you've reached.

Practice

This is a given but specifically, don't practice in pub lobbies. It's not the best of ideas given that the skill of the players you'll be facing will change randomly from game to game. I play with two people on a daily basis, now 3, who are at my skill level but, consistency wise, are better than me. We've recently started doing 1 v 1s to push each other to greater heights. Tbh, I haven't won once. However, I have noticed that my strategies and ways of approaching obstacles that I thought were once impossible, became more possible the closer I reached my peak of play. Slowly, my peak is rising. Why? When you play with players who are just better than you, you never truly understand WHY they're better than you. Finding those people who are better than you, not super elite players with 3.0+ K/Ds per say, and challenging them constantly to see how they play and how you can learn from them, is the fastest way to adapt and evolve.

Mix things up

Constantly try new weapon, tactical, and grenade combinations to see what works for you. Understand that not every combination is ideal for every type of opponent. Example: I've always loved the R97, but after the buff, I started using it a bit more. I also used to main Phase and Phase alone. Now I have two loadouts. One has the R97 + P2016 + Arc Grenade + Phase and the other has R97 + Wingman + Arc Grenade + Stim. Why? Because I face different types of players in heavy PvP modes ALL THE TIME. Also, due to the fact that my skill is inconsistent at times, I sometimes switch classes when my aim is weaker or I'm facing a lot of less mobile players. You need to understand yourself and what you're good at and what types of opponents you're facing. When you can understand both and you begin to predict their movement, you WILL become better.

Be the best version of yourself

As Odyssey quoted and I'm now stealing for myself, "Do as they do, then ask why they do what they do, then don't do as they do, then do as you do". Also, believe in your own ability to improve and have confidence. The minute you doubt yourself when you run into turbulence is the instant you lose. Full stop.
    I am a Potato beyond Potatoes. I... am a Super Potato!