Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Hover is rather good once you learn how to use it!

OdysseyHome
2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
So I tried using hover lately and felt it was really weird. You aim and then slowly fall. Why use it?

But then I learned that you can actually double jump DURING hover, and can float slowly upwards.

The ability also has a definite duration but you can space this out by aiming in and out, so you can use this to move with better precision and timing.

The duration also resets with your double jump, so wall running gives you full hover ability.

So pair this with a grapple, and you can basically hug the ceiling. Grapple wall, double jump release grapple, wall run, jump, hover, double jump, (this allows grapple to cool down), grapple wall again, wall run, repeat.

No one ever looks up!

Comments

• PerLundberg
    48 postsPosts: 51
    Im happy when people use it. It makes them easy stationary targets.
  • Raniok
    369 postsPosts: 370 ✭✭✭
    Hover is great with grenadier weapons, especially the cold war. Will let you hover above a target without falling in your own splash.
    It is a principle in the art of war that one should simply lay down his life and strike. If one's opponent does the same, it is an even match
  • OdysseyHome
    Im happy when people use it. It makes them easy stationary targets.

Which means they aren't using altitude properly ;)
  • OdysseyHome
    Raniok wrote: »
    Hover is great with grenadier weapons, especially the cold war. Will let you hover above a target without falling in your own splash.

Yeah coldwar was the weapon i used to learn how to hover.
  • RedShield55
    1366 postsPosts: 1,456 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017

The cold war doesn't need hover. Just connect one wall run to the next, just don't aim for where you would end up landing in your splash. Looks like you guys too also use stuff wrong.
    Help I'm trapped in a signature factory
  • OdysseyHome

The cold war doesn't need hover. Just connect one wall run to the next, just don't aim for where you would end up landing in your splash. Looks like you guys too also use stuff wrong.

the bomblets have arcing trajectories and the gun spreads them out randomly with each burst. So on a console shooting at a target on the ground has a risk that one of the bomblets will miss. Its hard to control the burst's horizontal spreaf with a analog stick.

With grapple and hover (I always use grapple and hover together) you can get extreme elevation and air time. So now when you shoot foes beneath you the bomblets scatter is more likely to hit the target due to the floor as a backdrop activating their AoE.

So if you use hover without grapple i see your point, but with grapple you can stay so high no one suspects your bomblets to fall on them.
  • RedShield55
    Oh its on console you do this, yeah that would make sense. But I always cringe when I see it on PC, even without grapple its a little unnecessary with the amount of control the keyboard and mouse already give you.

• RedShield55
    I've been using Hover some on Frontier Defense, and it has impressed me with its "tricks". Gonna go try it out in a private match to see what it can do!
  • OdysseyHome
    I've been using Hover some on Frontier Defense, and it has impressed me with its "tricks". Gonna go try it out in a private match to see what it can do!

Always a good feeling when you change someone's mind on something!

Welcome to the 'Falcon' club!
  • RedShield55

It was pretty interesting! I ran around Glitch with Grapple and the hemlok with hover.
    Repeatedly stopping hover and starting it again felt a little slow, it would quickly cause your opponent to realize whats happening, and if you use an ADS gun it doesn't work at all.
    Hover seems to be best used near a surface you are about to hit. For example, if you wall run and then jump and hover, its going to be hard to get out of that situation alive. The direction you are flying will cause you to endure that painfully slow exit from the hover, and all your momentum will be gone. To solve this, connect your wall running paths. When you jump from the wall, make sure to aim at another wall, and shortly before you hit that wall, hover there so you have a small amount of jukes but more importantly, once the hover ends you can either put up with a little bit of the molasses part or grapple quickly to the wall right next to you and continue your wall run.
    When you use hover, you want several things. A low TTK weapon and a quick way out. I would suggest the assault rifles. When in hover, you have to remember you just kind of sit there. The enemy can quickly fix their aim back onto you if they are not dead. It is rather important to be able to kill them quickly. Then, in the event there is another pilot or titan (if you hovered near a titan tho you are probably dead.) You will want a quick way out. The best seem to be Grapple or Phase Shift. Phase shift I believe will instantly destroy the slow effect, provide cover for you to reload, and let you change your position. Grapple can get you out of the slow, let you go in any direction, and can be used more in comparison to the phase shift.
    To hover and then jump to start going up wards can be useful for when you want to hover in between two wall runs or platforms. For example, those 3 wooden rafters on top of glitch. Hovering in between them to shoot your target, and then jump and disengage hover will allow you to get some of you height back with out grapple. (Alternatively disengage hover, then grapple to the wall or beam and then jump)
    I also learned that if you jump from a standing position then you will jump so high, holding the space bar more doesn't make you jump higher) but then once you jumped from the standing position if you jump as soon as you hit the ground you won't go as high as the standing jump.
    I can't wait to try this in multiplayer!
  • OdysseyHome

It was pretty interesting! I ran around Glitch with Grapple and the hemlok with hover.
    Repeatedly stopping hover and starting it again felt a little slow, it would quickly cause your opponent to realize whats happening, and if you use an ADS gun it doesn't work at all.
    Hover seems to be best used near a surface you are about to hit. For example, if you wall run and then jump and hover, its going to be hard to get out of that situation alive. The direction you are flying will cause you to endure that painfully slow exit from the hover, and all your momentum will be gone. To solve this, connect your wall running paths. When you jump from the wall, make sure to aim at another wall, and shortly before you hit that wall, hover there so you have a small amount of jukes but more importantly, once the hover ends you can either put up with a little bit of the molasses part or grapple quickly to the wall right next to you and continue your wall run.
    When you use hover, you want several things. A low TTK weapon and a quick way out. I would suggest the assault rifles. When in hover, you have to remember you just kind of sit there. The enemy can quickly fix their aim back onto you if they are not dead. It is rather important to be able to kill them quickly. Then, in the event there is another pilot or titan (if you hovered near a titan tho you are probably dead.) You will want a quick way out. The best seem to be Grapple or Phase Shift. Phase shift I believe will instantly destroy the slow effect, provide cover for you to reload, and let you change your position. Grapple can get you out of the slow, let you go in any direction, and can be used more in comparison to the phase shift.
    To hover and then jump to start going up wards can be useful for when you want to hover in between two wall runs or platforms. For example, those 3 wooden rafters on top of glitch. Hovering in between them to shoot your target, and then jump and disengage hover will allow you to get some of you height back with out grapple. (Alternatively disengage hover, then grapple to the wall or beam and then jump)
    I also learned that if you jump from a standing position then you will jump so high, holding the space bar more doesn't make you jump higher) but then once you jumped from the standing position if you jump as soon as you hit the ground you won't go as high as the standing jump.
    I can't wait to try this in multiplayer!

I do the hover before wall run trick as well. But i don't really like hitscan weapons when hovering since you need to ADS with them to get the accuracy boost so i like guns where ADS isn't needed or is non obstructive. Grenediers match this requirement. So i can hip fire shoot to kill and use ads for hover.

The adsing trick has to be done fast to work. Just tap the button and it'll do a quick airbrake effect then return you to speed. It helps stall in the air while you wait for grapple to recharge. Can do these taps at once or delayed to modify the effect and distance.

Phase, grapple, and stim are good tacticals for hover. Stim only with gstar though since you can use the star to boost your momentum; hover helps stalling in the star to get the explosion force. Its fun stall.

P shift can work sorta, but it can be disoreinting. I'll have to try this one out and see. Phase has a partical effect so people can see you move. And i like to shoot things while hovering, so it can work against hover in my mind.
  • Raniok

Nobody is using anything wrong, nor did anyone say anything about need. Looks like you are overreaching in your commentary.

@OdysseyHome where is our custom controller topic? I have some stuff to write about controls.
    It is a principle in the art of war that one should simply lay down his life and strike. If one's opponent does the same, it is an even match
  • RedShield55

Nobody is using anything wrong, nor did anyone say anything about need. Looks like you are overreaching in your commentary.

@OdysseyHome where is our custom controller topic? I have some stuff to write about controls.

Looks like you didn't read the entire discussion. I repented of that, leave me alone
  • OdysseyHome
    edited September 2017
  • Raniok

Looks like you didn't read the entire discussion. I repented of that, leave me alone

I did Red, I just wanted to poke you. Hahahaha
  • Hover is just a big "shoot me" sign. low profile, titan hunter, kill report is better
    "Some of you may consider this overkill. It is"
  • OdysseyHome
    @ToxicApollo117 Depends how you use it and at what altitude. Like said before without grapple it's not that effective, but recently I like using it with stim and G-Star. If you hover in your G-Star then activate stim as it explodes you can do some really interesting stuff.

So yes, those AR users that jump then hover to shoot you are easy to shoot at. But grapple users that are so high in the sky people don't expect them to be there they don't see you. And stim users can exploit the hover to throw off peoples anticipation of thier movement.

One thing I also noticed is that hovering players leave a little 'helecopter gust' effect on the ground. It's supposed to let people know a hovering pilot is directly above but it's a often missed detail. Like the beeping of satchel charges. People can't hear the beeps in a gun fight.