Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

In need of a new console button layout

I haven't been able to play the new update yet but in preparation for those pulseblade kills I would like to find a new button layout that helps me aim tacticals. I currently run bumper jumper so the pulseblade will be bound to X (or A for you Xbox players), with jump as L1 (LB for you Xbox players). I would like a way to switch my buttons so that i can still aim and move while using jump, ordinances, and tactical abilities, but am unfamiliar with them. so any recommendations?

Comments

• OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    I remember trying to come up with an ultimate control scheme, but I always end up going back to the default control scheme.

I tried claw, I tried evolved, bumper jumper, tried shinobi and a custom modified shinobi where I put reload on the RS click and melee on the X button (Xbox).

But each iteration had their weaknesses, mainly the ones with jump and slide on shoulder buttons made timing the slide hop and wall run canceling difficult. Also aimed tactical abilities were annoying.

Problem with modern shooters is the need to have a dedicated ADS button and Melee button, as well as the convention of having two abilities. It makes the controls a bit cumbersome IMO.

But if you're after pulse blade kills use the G-Star as a setup. Snare a pilot, throw blade, easy kill, minimal aiming required.
  • Raniok
    369 postsPosts: 370 ✭✭✭
    I got all my pulse blade kills with the ninja control scheme.

L1 for Jump, R1 for Crouch. I just had to REALLY compensate for the other player's mobility but it can work. If you really need to aim ordanance or tactical on the fly, then the default control scheme will work for you. I prefer ninja though as @OdysseyHome mentioned. It seems the most intuitive (for me) when playing Titanfall.

Forum doesn't support Japanese kana, sad.
    It is a principle in the art of war that one should simply lay down his life and strike. If one's opponent does the same, it is an even match
  • OdysseyHome
    Raniok wrote: »
    I got all my pulse blade kills with the ninja control scheme.

L1 for Jump, R1 for Crouch. I just had to REALLY compensate for the other player's mobility but it can work. If you really need to aim ordanance or tactical on the fly, then the default control scheme will work for you. I prefer ninja though as @OdysseyHome mentioned. It seems the most intuitive (for me) when playing Titanfall.

Forum doesn't support Japanese kana, sad.

@Raniok

I prefer the default because to me, stroking your thumb from B > A > Aim stick is easier than R1 > L1. The prior is one fluid movement that gets the input timing consistent. The latter requires synced hand coordination so is prone to errors. IMO
  • OdysseyHome
    edited May 2017
    Been experimenting and I like this custom control scheme so thought I'd share:

Based on default control scheme but swap Fire and ADS positions. Swap Tactical and Melee position.

So I can now shoot semi-automatics really fast and retain accuracy. Having shoot on the left trigger also encourages me to stop using the left stick while moving which increases accuracy for some guns due to sight drift when moving.

Only difficulty I'm having is designing a system for titans. I'd like to have melee on the same button as when I'm in a pilot, but that means putting either titan defensive or offensive on the stick. Generally offensive is best on the stick since some defensive moves need to be aimed, but this works okay for some titans but not others.

It would be really cool if you could customize the button placement individually for each of your titans. That would be awesome!
  • OdysseyHome
    I'm finding that melee on a bumper is not as good as it sounds. Finding that melees are more successful if you throw yourself at the target using slide hop rather than try to get them with a turning melee. Because of this melee on the right stick is rather a good input for melee.

However, I do find Ronin rather difficult to play due to his melee nature. His melee knocks back foes so its hard sometimes to get into melee range. Typically I now dash forward and melee to guarantee the hit. But I'm not sure how to get multiple sword strikes on a foe if you walk at them. I think it's got something to do with melee knock-back and dash having interacting physics forces.

It would be really cool if you could customize button placement for each titan individually. That would be awesome.

Another thing I'd like to try is toggle ADS on the right stick like in halo; but, this is currently bugged with variable zoom weapons. Basically, if you try to change zoom while you are in ADS mode (with toggle enabled) the game will auto-cancel ADS and then apply the zoom when you ADS again. If you hold the ADS button down while clicking zoom button the game will not auto-cancel ADS until you release the ADS button. It's a very strange bug.
  • Raniok
    Ive been playing Armored Core in the claw format since 1997. Syncing my hands in fine.

I agree we should be able to create custom maps for each titan. After reading your posts.. I am going to go tinker with my controls more.
    It is a principle in the art of war that one should simply lay down his life and strike. If one's opponent does the same, it is an even match
  • OdysseyHome
    Ive been playing Armored Core in the claw format since 1997. Syncing my hands in fine.

I agree we should be able to create custom maps for each titan. After reading your posts.. I am going to go tinker with my controls more.

Yeah, I've tinkered quite a bit... but I always come back to default because I didn't consider fringe case x. Default is really the 'cover all' scheme, while other schemes have certain specific weaknesses.

I tried playing claw for a while and practiced in Halo 5 using bumper jumper. But playing in TFall2 I found that the claw causes inaccuracy in my aim since your right hand has to do allot of inputs (buttons, triggers, right stick). I do find that being left handed I can easily do a 'twin fang' hold on the left bumper and trigger buttons; but the controller weight being supported on only two fingers when doing claw and twin fang (pinky & ring) I find too straining on the ligaments. I like using the middle finger to support the controller, and it allows for better clicking of the stick buttons since you squeeze thumb and middle finger together.

I guess there is a reason you-tubers of games invest in elite controllers and control freaks for their game-plays; they get partnership deals, and it makes their videos more entertaining...

I do find it funny that Xbox and PS4 requires all games to have a left-handed control schemes for accessibility; and, yet their controls are right hand only because they put the face buttons on the right. Xbox even have asymmetry with the dropped down right stick, so imagine using the right stick to move and then you need to press A to jump.

Lefties: adapt of perish!
  • OdysseyHome
    Been experimenting more with the custom control scheme and I think I've found a keeper though it's pretty alien.

You hold the controller in a twin viper claw grip. Left hand index and middle finger hold the bumper and trigger; right hand ring finger on trigger, middle on bumper, index for face buttons. With the right index finger you hover over the X button, use the bend to press Y, the tip to press A, and you curl the finger to press B.

Then:
    • LS click = sprint
    • RS click = melee
    • LT = hold to ADS
    • LB = Jump / Dash
    • RT = hold to Crouch
    • RB = Reload / Use
    • X = Fire
    • Y = Ordinance / Offensive titan ability
    • B = Switch weapon / Utility titan ability
    • A = Tactical / Defensive titan ability

I think I've found a keeper. Going to practice some more with it, see when I get faster and the keys are in muscle memory I can play like a PC player on Xbox without an elite controller :smiley:
  • Raniok
    I do find it funny that Xbox and PS4 requires all games to have a left-handed control schemes for accessibility; and, yet their controls are right hand only because they put the face buttons on the right. Xbox even have asymmetry with the dropped down right stick, so imagine using the right stick to move and then you need to press A to jump.

It is funny you bring up the left handed controls yet the controller is designed for right handed use, but if more games allowed the DPAD to be remapped with the face buttons, this could be a true left handed revolution! haha Funny you mention the South-Paw struggles. When I first started playing FPS on console, I was a complete South-Paw player. It wasn't until "Lost Planet" in 2007 that I had to learn to play shooters right handed. First game I played that wouldn't let me rotate the sticks, that was a hard 9 months to a year before my brain was able to completely switch to using the right stick to aim. So many deaths and so much rage. Even lost a controller during that struggle. HAHAHA moving on!

--

Your new control scheme is ABSOLUTELY bananas (I have an equally insane control scheme for Overwatch that makes it feel like you are using Mouse/KB on console) and I am going to try it out myself. lol I am still running solid with the Ninja controls. Helps me duck behind cover more easily while covering my sight lines because crouch/sliding is so **** important to me. I have noticed as you said before - my slide-hopping is inconsistent but I am thinking it has more to do with my bad timing ( I think I am trying to hop too rapidly) than my control scheme but you have had me be much more attentive. I often see myself slide-hopping to a stop, so I think it is more my technique than my control scheme. I like being able to bounce off of walls while shooting, but the wall-running auto centering of your aiming has become to be a bit disruptive so I have been learning to be more bouncy. Would it be possible for you to record some game play and narrate how this new control scheme is fitting your bill? If not.. our story time here is wonderful!

Typing on this forum with a PC is superior to laptop/phone - a whole new world for me. lol
  • OdysseyHome

It is funny you bring up the left handed controls yet the controller is designed for right handed use, but if more games allowed the DPAD to be remapped with the face buttons, this could be a true left handed revolution! haha Funny you mention the South-Paw struggles. When I first started playing FPS on console, I was a complete South-Paw player. It wasn't until "Lost Planet" in 2007 that I had to learn to play shooters right handed. First game I played that wouldn't let me rotate the sticks, that was a hard 9 months to a year before my brain was able to completely switch to using the right stick to aim. So many deaths and so much rage. Even lost a controller during that struggle. HAHAHA moving on!

--

Your new control scheme is ABSOLUTELY bananas (I have an equally insane control scheme for Overwatch that makes it feel like you are using Mouse/KB on console) and I am going to try it out myself. lol I am still running solid with the Ninja controls. Helps me duck behind cover more easily while covering my sight lines because crouch/sliding is so **** important to me. I have noticed as you said before - my slide-hopping is inconsistent but I am thinking it has more to do with my bad timing ( I think I am trying to hop too rapidly) than my control scheme but you have had me be much more attentive. I often see myself slide-hopping to a stop, so I think it is more my technique than my control scheme. I like being able to bounce off of walls while shooting, but the wall-running auto centering of your aiming has become to be a bit disruptive so I have been learning to be more bouncy. Would it be possible for you to record some game play and narrate how this new control scheme is fitting your bill? If not.. our story time here is wonderful!

Typing on this forum with a PC is superior to laptop/phone - a whole new world for me. lol

The interesting thing about the DPAD is that it's actually two axes. So the hardware sends a +1 signal for up and a -1 signal for down and a 0 for no input. So you can't remap them to face buttons due to the hardware differences unfortunately.

I'm going to call this new control scheme "banana fingers" now because of your comment :smiley:)

I'm still fighting muscle memory a bit difficult but I am finding that I can bunny hop and shoot like you see PC players do. The only thing I'm yet to get used to is that holding crouch while jumping onto a wall will auto-cancel your wall run. This was never a problem because toggle would auto-cancel your crouch when you jumped and you had press it again in the air to slide. It's a new skill I need to learn to control.

Apart from fighting muscle memory it's pretty good. Only difficulty I have is shooting while turning a bit but that's due to lack of practice and I recently tweaked my aiming sensitivities. I think I may swap ADS to right trigger and crouch to left trigger (sorta replicating my older comments) to try it out so when I aim my grip on the right side of the controller is better so I can make the shots easier. Once my brain learns to handle the dexterity required (not used to using so many fingers at once on a controller) I think it maybe something.

I had a friend who had a Game Cube and he learnt to player shooters using the legacy control schemes. So he had similar difficulty relearning when he got a Xbox 360. Also, Lost Planet was awesome and I regret not being able to play it online as I didn't have good home internet at the time it was released. It was one of my favorite Xbox 360 games as was it's sequel (...I miss those games)!

I'll see what I can whip up on Xbox DVR and I'll post. Don't have voice recording stuff so may do a write up with time posts perhaps. I'll see what I can do, but I want to practice a bit more first.

Would be interested in your Overwatch scheme. The more I watch that game the more I think I should get it some stage. But was reticent due to the perception that you need to talk to your team, and it's hyper competitive, rather than just play with random pubs for a while and have fun.
  • OdysseyHome
    Yep, Banana fingers is awesome!
    • LS click = sprint
    • RS click = melee
    • LT = hold to Crouch
    • LB = Jump / Dash
    • RT = hold to ADS
    • RB = Reload / Use
    • X = Fire
    • Y = Ordinance / Offensive titan ability

Swapping ADS and Crouch is much better, makes hitting things by pressing X to shoot much easier.

May consider swapping switch weapons and melee, but I like where the scheme is now. It's like I'm playing on a PC now.
  • TheMightyM0
    434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
    Jeez, all you guys with your crazy control schemes. I was lucky enough to have an elite controller already so I feel like that's been hugely helpful for me.
  • OdysseyHome
    Jeez, all you guys with your crazy control schemes. I was lucky enough to have an elite controller already so I feel like that's been hugely helpful for me.

Said the Olympic swimmer that used flippers to win gold in the free style event. :smiley:
  • OdysseyHome
    Some further adjustments.
    • LS click = sprint
    • RS click = melee
    • LT = hold to Crouch
    • LB = Jump / Dash
    • RT = Reload / Use
    • RB = hold to ADS
    • X = Ordinance / Offensive titan ability
    • Y = Fire

Reason for swapping X and Y and RB and RT is that now you can use the right ring finger to grasp the controller giving better support, so your right thumb retains precise control over your aim. You still hold the left triggers and bumpers in twin viper / two fang grip.

Before I was finding that holding the RT for ADS made my middle finger stretch out leading to unstable aiming. Swapping things around has helped in gauntlet practice / testing, but need to now get used to the adjustments in an MP match with other players.

Still getting used to hold to crouch, you need to time your jumps perfectly to conserve momentum by avoiding surface friction while sliding. Too early and you double jump (and lose momentum) too late and you bleed speed from the slide. PC players are used to this but this is a foreign concept on controller side.

Also I am finding that you go where you aim, so if you are parallel to a wall and wall run isn't engaging you can turn to face the wall at an angle and wall run should activate.

I'm finding that I can do some "Impossible" plays using this scheme, but some times I make pretty simple mistakes; hopefully with the adjustments this irons out the kinks.

Banana fingers 2.0

• OdysseyHome
    The scheme i've settled on Banana fingers v3

LT = Crouch (hold)
    LB = Jump / dash
    RB = switch weapon / titan utility
    RT = ADS
    A = Tactical / titan defensive
    X = fire
    Y = Ordinance / titan offensive
    B = Reload / Use
    LS = sprint zoom
    RS = melee
  • OdysseyHome
    Back again to say that I've gone back to default scheme. LOL. Tried sniping with Bananna fingers and found that claw grip made precise scope movements difficult. I sacrifice some of the mobility capabilities from bananna fingers but I find my game is much better now because the restrictions make me play smarter not faster.
  • Voidwalker-1998
    139 postsPosts: 143
    I just prefer the default scheme... I like my games to have a similar control scheme so I don't get confused. Can't be bothered having different control layouts because then I also need to learn that new scheme...

I already have moments on BF1 where I forget what I'm playing and try to wall run or double jump to avoid tanks... I don't need the hassle of getting my reload mixed up and end up throwing a grenade/meleeing instead...

... Yes, I like to keep things simple, leave me alone...
    'Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat' - They all hurt, the last one kills.
  • OdysseyHome
    I just prefer the default scheme... I like my games to have a similar control scheme so I don't get confused. Can't be bothered having different control layouts because then I also need to learn that new scheme...

I already have moments on BF1 where I forget what I'm playing and try to wall run or double jump to avoid tanks... I don't need the hassle of getting my reload mixed up and end up throwing a grenade/meleeing instead...

... Yes, I like to keep things simple, leave me alone...

@Voidwalker-1998

Simplicity is good. I just did this as an experiment to see if it helped my game similar to scuf controllers. It did and didn't. Can see why it's the recommended scheme for consoles.

Could do some fancy acrobatics like on PC with my custom but it reduced my reaction times and precision, which i only noticed when starting to use snipers again.

For me i find i have muscle memory per game; if i switch schemes i get used to it in days since brain needs to relearn. The only thing that's hard wired is left stick move right stick to aim. Tried southpaw sticks since am a lefty out of curiosity but it just felt weird.