Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Crashing to desktop after Colony update..

Comments

• Argo-Ego
    5 postsPosts: 5
    Thanks _LI0n_,
    Missed that. When I last checked in there hadn't been a response. Didn't realise I'd missed it. Good to see there is now.

Let's hope we see a fix soon.
  • Ceyly
    36 postsPosts: 39
    @Argo-Ego I feel ya! Nothing worse than having a perfect round just to crash when you are about to get another triple kill...
    Or like having monarch and just sweeping trough to lvl 3 upgrade.. press it and game dies..
    Yet if it doesn´t crash the servers are lagging, and if the rare case of no server lagg and no crashes happens.. then my **** wlan - box decides i wont enjoy the game... ........
  • Saddlebutt
    1 postsPosts: 1
    edited June 2017
    It's a long shot, but I've noticed I only ever get this crash when I'm in a PvP map piloting a Monarch. Swapped to Tone, the crashed stopped - until I got a kill replay from a Monarch PoV.

Could you guys start adding what you were doing when the crash occurred? Piloting which Titan, etc etc (cause so far my crashes have been really consistent - Monarch only. So far.)

Edit 2: just crashed during an enemy execute cinematic on me. PvP match, playing Tone. Welp.
  • Zadatta
    8 postsPosts: 9
    For me the crash ruins not just titanfall but windows. I get a black screen. It happens al around as well, sometimes in a match while doing stuff, sometimes while standing still. it also occasionally happens in the multiplayer menu.
    It did start at the monarch expansion for me, before that it always ran just fine.

Phenom II x6 1055t
    8gb ram
    sapphire rx480 nitro+ oc
  • ShopoPower
    2 postsPosts: 2
    I lost all hope in EA/Respawn fixing the dxgi error,i can't play the game in this state 10 mins and crashing,the problem is around for awhile and is also found in other EA releases that were never fixed. Uninstalled the game because of frustration,can't even get a refund...money bad spent,I'll never buy a game from EA/Respawn ever again.
  • up_in_5m0ke
    2 postsPosts: 5
    Today I noticed that the game become unplayable. I have crashes within first or second match for sure. At the beginning it was random and kind of rare (since release). It was annoying but I can come over it.
    Now I think the game damaged my hardware.

Game stop responding, sound loop, crash to desktop. Kill process and restart game. Redeon Settings crash aswell.

My first post on this topic

So thats it, cant play Titanfall. Maybe 350 hours is enough for 50€ game.
  • _Li0n_cL
    29 postsPosts: 29
    edited June 2017
    You're welcome @Argo-Ego

Oddly enough, I haven't experienced any crashes in 2 days. I might be lucky, at least for now.

Edit: Nevermind, I've just crashed when I was about to execute a pilot. There you go my couple of lucky days.
  • Ceyly
    @_Li0n_cL same here. Had arround 2 days of i think a single crash only. 4 today. :salt: :salt: :salt:
    i really wonder how long my table gona hold till i will finally break it. I just can´t stop my rage at that point.
    By the way last crash was right when i was about to execute a titan .. got alot of crashes done now that happen when i press "c" and would execute a pilot/titan with it.. it doesn´t reach the animation tought, it freezes right before it..

**** man i can´t really enjoy this **** anymore. Honestly.. fu you respawn..
  • Brahmin84
    36 postsPosts: 36
    Great idea saying FU to the only real team that can fix the issue.

Im not happy with the situation either, but you need to stop and realize that they are trying to fix the issue.
  • Ceyly
    edited June 2017
    It´s not like it matters anyways. They´ve managed to ignore us for months, so they will manage to ignore that comment aswell. And i realize it took them months, several maps and a complete new titan to start working on it. If they have worked on it before they made it top secret - god knows why.
    Silence is not the way you deal with such a problem, it´s pure poison you ram right into your chest.

Hey, my cars brakes don´t work anymore, deal with it please.
    *builds new spoiler on your car*
    "Here look it´s way cooler now!"
    Well yea... but the brakes still don´t work....

I think the problem here is obvious. What response do you expect with such a treatment.

EDIT: By the way, the worst thing is all the people who left meanwhile cause they had no patience, and the community is shrinking already without this.... That makes me sad the most ..
  • _Li0n_cL
    edited June 2017
    Even though it's frustrating, you have to realize Respawn is indeed aware of the issue, as Jayfresh, Brahmin and me have said, Respawn is trying to fix this issue, at least that made me hope again. Hopefully you will trust in Respawn as well, cuz they have done a great work with this game.

You can stop playing for a while if you want to stop raging, but if you keep playing, I beg you, save the swearing for yourself, as most of us do (I guess).
  • Lythriilux
    6 postsPosts: 6
    edited June 2017
    I think may have finally noticed a pattern (and thus able to predict them to a degree) with the crashes.

So I, and others here, have only started getting crashes since Respawn began adding new content. Something most of this new content has in common is that it's stuff that has come from Titanfall 1.

I am almost guaranteed to get crashes when I play Colony or Relic (Titanfall 1 maps!). I never get any crashes when I play Glitch (an original map for Titanfall 2). I get no crashes playing or using any of the original Titanfall 2 content,

Now this might be a bit of a stretch, but assuming that the maps are ported somewhat from TF1 rather than remade from the ground up, could there perhaps be erroneous code/graphics/models/textures/whatever in these pieces of content that break TF2 when used with AMD graphics cards?

One hole in this theory is that I've noticed playing Monarch is also almost guaranteed to get me crashes. Monarch IS a new Titan, however, if Monarch makes use of any content from Titanfall 1, then the theory holds. Would be good to have Respawn comment on this.

Otherwise, like I've said before it's entirely possible that something new Respawn have added into the game since the new content updates is causing crashes.
  • MeFirstThenYou
    265 postsPosts: 282 ✭✭✭
    People have experienced crashes across all maps and game modes. I guess the only confirmed cause is that it is related to AMD GPU's.

The latest beta driver (17.6.2) for AMD also does not mention anything regarding Titanfall 2. So I doubt that it will "fix it". I personally doubt that AMD can actually fix it. I guess the problem is somewhere within the game and I don't expect a fix in the future. The only recognition we got was "we have top men looking into it". What a joke.
  • Ceyly
    edited June 2017
    I´m somewhat sorry for swearing.. They have done great work, thats right, and i love the new maps and monarch aswell. It´s just.. I would much rather have the game working with half of the titans and maps than them adding more and more stuff without it working at least somewhat...
    Also, some communication from them would calm people, even if it´s just a "okay, we couldn´t find the pattern so far and don´t know where the problem exactly is".
    If they know the pattern, we could try to avoid it to have more chances of playing as long as not fixed. If not, they would need data, which we could try to get. Right now we only know "what we provided so far is great" but not if it actually helped or if we can do anything else to speed up the process.

Btw @Lythriilux , i´m gona pay attention to that, tought im quite sure i get crashes on all maps - and i played quite a bunch of games without crashes on colony and relikt. Also got a bunch of monarch games without crashes, and when it was introduced into the game the problem was already there.
  • _Li0n_cL
    Indeed, so far they've only told us they're working on it. It must me a tricky thing to work with though, they're releasing new content every month and it consumes a lot of their time. Personally, I wouldn't mind a couple of months without content updates as long as they find a way to fix this issue as well as other stuff, such as the game's pretty weak weapon balance.
  • Argo-Ego
    A little update

Played 7 games today - crashed 3 times, one I got the 'DEVICE_HUNG' message and didn't hard crash (hurrah - no reboot that time), one was a normal 'have to hit the reset button' and reboot, last was a 'nope you need to switch me off and switch me back on again' crash.

There was no pattern I can see, I'm afraid.
    First crash was on Dry dock, not a soul near me. Had just double-jumped into that area with the two half-closed doors you can slide under and the containers - 'DEVICE_HUNG' error popped up and that was that.
    Second was on Blackwater Canal, Bounty Hunt, just hopped out of titan (Monarch), ran down the steps, with the intention of grappling in through a window to make a deposit and BOOM grey screen. Again, no one in sight.
    Final crash was just after a game on Eden and back in the Multiplayer selection menu. Hit back to stop match making and the whole system was taken down, had to switch of the PC and switch it on again.

Also, seems to have been particularly laggy/suspect tonight (London and Amsterdam). Had a number of kill replays of my death where my actions just never happened according to the other players view. Though the one that sticks in my mind was a mid-/long-range duel on Angel City where the other guy was sliding madly left and right by a meter or 2, throwing off my aim. But, on his kill-cam he was barely moving, just a little shimmy. It was like the lag compensation was guessing his position and getting it wrong, correcting it, then rinse and repeat.
    Sorry, that was a drift off-topic but it's the first time I have seen that happen so obviously!
  • _Li0n_cL
    Right, so I've just crashed right after someone killed me with the melee attack.
  • Ceyly
    Thats the thing! Releasing content takes time, also it makes fixing the problem even more difficult. Such a fatal error should be dealt with as soon as it appears, not months after it. By now there could be like 10 different updates that may or may not have improved or worsened the problem.

And weapon balance.. well yea... sometimes i really question if they are playing their own game. I mean, i loved the Volt before they nerfed it. But now? really. Volt takes like 3 times as long as a CAR to kill someone. On pretty much all ranges. Volt has a flying projectile, so its also a tiny bit harder to aim. R97 is a joke. I feel bad when playing this thing, also i don´t do it cause it makes my aim worse. Cause you literally dont have to aim with this thing..

Not to speak of phaseshift. Phaseshift is just plain ****. It´s the strongest one of the abilitys in terms of defense (literally makes you invincible for a moment) AND gets 2 charges that have no real cooldown. Battery / Tactic kill makes literally no sense on it if you don´t wanna shift after, LITERALLY every kill. Cause you could do that. .. ..

But i guess tweaking some numbers would take too much time aswell...
  • deathstinkfull
    17 postsPosts: 17
    edited June 2017
    Well ****, and here i thought it was my processor taking a **** on me, then i read this post and it fits my issue to the tee. Well at least you guys are getting some error notices, i just random crashes every 1 to 2 rounds and i have to hit the reset button as i have no alt ctrl del functions or mouse or any keyboard functions for that matter. SUPER ANNOYING! I did notice alot more hacking lately, and it seems like they can turn it on or off in game at will... They stand still and turn it on then every shot after that is a one shot kill no matter what weapon, then i see them go stand in a corner and turn it off and back to normal. Some how undetectable like most hacks. Im sure it takes a toll on the server side somehow.
  • Ceyly
    If you can´t kill the game with taskmanager (i know the issue - you can open it but you can´t click on it) opening the taskmanager on a secondary desktop does the job most of the time for me. Can be done completly without special hotkeys or keyboard functions.

Well there are alot of one-hit weapons. It also depends on amped weapons and V-Wall influence. Kraber, 2 of the grenade launchers, EPG, DMR with headshot and most titan weapons are also onehit by default. In almost 240 hours i haven´t seen anybody who really looked like hacking. Also, sometimes lagg makes things look way more unnormal than they are.
  • Brahmin84
    edited June 2017
    Well, asking AMD for help is appearing to be pointless. Went through all the hoops to have Ganesh say it doesn't appear to be related to the graphics card. I quoted part of his last email within my response.

"Dear Ganesh,

Part of your response troubles me.

Quote:

"I have verified the game community forum and see that this issue is been experienced from most of the users irrespective of graphic cards."

Irrespective of graphics cards? The only pattern the users of the forum have found to cause the crash IS the graphics card being an AMD graphics card.

All nvidia card issues with the same crash were solved by usiving the Nvidia feature "Debug Mode" which AMD does not have.

This crash/error message is specific to AMD and Titanfall 2 only. And if AMD wants to act like its a game developer issue then there is nothing stopping Respawn from acting like its an AMD card issue. In which case both companies are losing customers not one kr the other.

Please tell me what AMD intends to do to rectify this crash?

Thank You"
  • Lythriilux
    6 postsPosts: 6
    It is definitely not the GPU (or at least something on AMD's end) per se. It's something Respawn have added to the game since Colony.
  • Ceyly
    edited June 2017
    I could play quite much last few days without crashes with simply refusing to get into my titan (made a warpfall ronin which i tried to drop on other titans to get the boost again).
    Went into the titan today, executed a bunch of titans, right at the execution of another one game crashed. Pattern or not, i´ve had way too much crashes right when im bout to execute someone (wether in titan or a pilot) for it to be random.

EDIT:
    It´s been 2 weeks since the very first response. What is it now? Are you guys on it? Found out anything?
    I mean.. is it only one guy trying to fix this? We know exactly which update brought in the issue.. and it´s been out for months now.. how can we still have no idea what it is? Are you planning to answer any questions at all or continue to ignore us now?
    If you haven´t noticed, there are alot of questions open, and we want ANSWERS. Not silence. It´s been MONTHS NOW!!
  • deathstinkfull
    17 postsPosts: 17
    The last two days i cant even get through one full map... First game about 3/4 through crash. 3 times in row after rebooting... Im about fed-up and ready to delete the game. I see there is not one hint of support on this matter from the technical team.
    Processor AMD FX(tm)-9590 Eight-Core Processor, 4714 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 16.0 GB
  • Ceyly
    For the protocoll, i´ve started another game with a friend. Literally the first points i (would have gotten) in that game was a pilot execution. Guess what, it crashed, and at the very same moment it always crashes. Right when the animation should begin.

Just in case there is still someone who cares, tought im loosing hope with every day..
  • Brahmin84
    edited June 2017
    Would be nice to have a back and forth between developer and user. This sit on your hands and wait **** is ridiculous.

Can we at least speak with a dev and get an understanding of whether they've been able to re-create the issue or need us to submit/try anything (i'll post a fn vid if i have to, they're so frequent it wont be a long one).

I cant join teams cause i never know when ill have to close out and rejoin. I wonder how long it would take to fix if this was the entire PC community.

Any further convo is better than leaving us in the dark.
  • Caerv
    10 postsPosts: 10
    DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG is still making the game unplayable for me. I thought that I had fixed it by exhausting the troubleshooting FAQ, but since Monarch dropped it's been happening in every game. I have never seen a game-breaking bug last this long and occur this frequently in any other game before. Please, please, please help me enjoy Titanfall 2 again.
  • Ceyly
    Brahmin84 wrote: »
    Would be nice to have a back and forth between developer and user. This sit on your hands and wait **** is ridiculous.

Can we at least speak with a dev and get an understanding of whether they've been able to re-create the issue or need us to submit/try anything (i'll post a fn vid if i have to, they're so frequent it wont be a long one).

I cant join teams cause i never know when ill have to close out and rejoin. I wonder how long it would take to fix if this was the entire PC community.

Any further convo is better than leaving us in the dark.

THIS!!
    well.. and this:
    Caerv wrote: »
    ... I have never seen a game-breaking bug last this long and occur this frequently in any other game before. Please, please, please help me enjoy Titanfall 2 again.
    Guys speaking out of my heart.
  • Ninfur
    I have the same issue with a R9 280x. Crashes between every and every other match.
  • Caerv
    10 postsPosts: 10
    I'm using a 280x as well, as is at least one other poster in this thread. Can't be a coincidence.