Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Ronin: Tips and Tricks

rgoti
33 postsPosts: 35
edited February 2017
It seen that Ronin recently won the election of the most famous Titan (sorry Tone). So I just jump in the badwagon of Ronin was night and have fun that in the end is the most important aspect of playing TF2.

I want to ask the more Ronin veterans here to share their loadouts and tips for using Ronin. For sure I will invest more time and want to know the community opinion.

Comments

• xIK0N88x
    788 postsPosts: 823 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm in no way a Veteran so I could probably learn some stuff in here myself but I just got my Ronin to Gen 3 and here are some of the things I learned.

- When encountering Scorch, keep your distance, sword won't work because his Thermal Shield will MELT you.

- I personally run Two Arc waves, after Titan is stunned I run up on him and drop electric smoke and then Phase out of there until I get Arc Wave back and hit again, unload clip go in with sword phase out and reload and repeat.

- Don't forget to USE that shotgun, that thing does pretty good damage to Titans.

- Don't forget to use Sword Block, when I first started playing I kept forgetting to do this and kept taking a lot of damage from distant Pilots and Titans. Use that block, it deflects quite a bit of damage.

- You might want to use the Battery back up boost when playing with Ronin because he does most of his damage up close and personal and doesn't have much health.

All I can think of right now, looking forward to seeing some other posts.
  • rgoti
    xIK0N88x wrote: »
    I'm in no way a Veteran so I could probably learn some stuff in here myself but I just got my Ronin to Gen 3 and here are some of the things I learned.

- When encountering Scorch, keep your distance, sword won't work because his Thermal Shield will MELT you.

- I personally run Two Arc waves, after Titan is stunned I run up on him and drop electric smoke and then Phase out of there until I get Arc Wave back and hit again, unload clip go in with sword phase out and reload and repeat.

- Don't forget to USE that shotgun, that thing does pretty good damage to Titans.

- Don't forget to use Sword Block, when I first started playing I kept forgetting to do this and kept taking a lot of damage from distant Pilots and Titans. Use that block, it deflects quite a bit of damage.

- You might want to use the Battery back up boost when playing with Ronin because he does most of his damage up close and personal and doesn't have much health.

All I can think of right now, looking forward to seeing some other posts.

Thanks for your advice as a Ronin G3 I thinks you are quite good. I will apply the technique of the Two Arc waves, after Titan is stunned I run up on him and drop electric smoke and then Phase out seem very good to apply.

Looking forwards for other people posts.

• rgoti
    This is best video on Youtube as a reference

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LdCJudXfWn0&t=959s
  • cosmicturtle333
    3079 postsPosts: 3,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I'm not very good with Ronin. (I am good, I'm just way better with every other titan) Ronin is best as first to fall. Get your titan quickly, drop him and absolutely wreck everyone.

25-0 Flatline/Ronin gameplay. I got revenge on some cancerous players - feelsgoodman.

Professional armchair developer
  • OdysseyHome
    2140 postsPosts: 2,211 ✭✭✭✭
    I find success with Ronin is all about correctly linking your abilities together so as to maximize sustained damage while reducing down-time due to ability cool-downs / reloading. Then the priority is to know when and where to hit and when and where to run. Sword core is also rather unique as it modifies your abilities and requires learning a new set of sequences to be effective.

From my experience, I used to find that nuclear ejection was the best titan kit for Ronin due the potential for instant titan meter refill (basically phoenix mode). Now after the patch, I'm thinking counter ready or overcore with preference for counter ready. Over-core technically allows for faster smoke earning but the duration of sword core means its a longer time for smoke regen compared to other titans with "shot n' done" core abilities. With Counter ready you get two smokes (or can stockpile two smokes) so this allows for more tactical flexibility: can use it as a escape tool, a mask for your abilities / dodges, a damage over time dot, a means to kill rodeos. Smokes help Ronin more than any other titan IMO.

As for his ability kits:
    • Phase reflex isn't worth talking about IMO due to nuke nerf but it may still be good for LTS mode.
    • Ricochet interestingly gives bounced bullets slight homing capability but greatly reduces there range so this ability gives Ronin ability to hit pilots camped in buildings; but I haven't had much practice.
    • Thunderstorm is really popular but I find it just encourages arc wave spam. Arc wave is best used as a stun rather than damage dealer, and the second charge takes much longer to recharge than the first so it's supposed to be an emergency backup / security blanket for mistakes (which is the perks true power). Stuns don't stack so double arcing is wasteful, and you can deal more DPS by using shotgun + melee + smoke between arcs.
    • Temporal anomaly is probably the best for survival solo play since phase dash can protect during shotgun reloads, and buy time for arc wave cool-down. You can also double dash using phase dash plus normal dash for extra speed, so having a faster phase dash is advantageous and I find people are too conservative with the ability.
    • Highlander is actually really, really good, if you can work the situation correctly, but it has the caveat of delaying smoke regeneration. Highlander can enable team clearing if they are all on low health and huddled together, so it requires high skill to wield and good team working capability. Because it is rather difficult to play well with teams without mics, it isn't a very popular ability.

As for combos I'm still learning the optimal sequence of ability use so that I work with my cool downs / reloads but:
    • Phase dash doesn't interrupt shotgun reloading, so phase dash when needing to reload
    • Smoke doesn't cancel reloading so can deploy it as a means to deal sustained damage
    • Smoke can obscure phase dash direction and arc wave and sword bloc use.
    • Sword block reduces dash distance due to speed penalty and it interrupts shotgun reloads, but mitigates damage
    • Melee has extended reach and knock back, allowing for easier shot gun crits.
    • Arc wave doesn't deal much damage but does a considerable stun, allowing for smoke damage over time, melee and shotgun DPS
    • Phase dash allows for re-positioning around a target so is highly valuable for avoiding CQC damage.

Then there's sword core:
    • No shotgun means lower DPS and reliance on burst damage.
    • Phase dash and dashes recharge more rapidly so basically can up the tempo of combo patterns.
    • Arc wave deals considerable damage, travels further and pierces targets (not sure bout last one, need to test). Stun duration is enhanced, and cool down is faster
    • Smoke doesn't hide the 'aura' of sword core Ronin, but is still useful for dot damage.
    • Sword block becomes electrified and may actually reflect bullets back at target but it's hard to observe. I don't know if fully mitigates damage during core mode, maybe mitigation is enhanced.
    • Melee has greater damage and knock-back so need to be mindful to knock foes into corners, since knock-back can aid their escape

So taken together a good sequence would be:
    1. Arc wave starter
    2. melee attacks until foe turns to face you, use dashes to prevent enemy from facing you.
    3. 2 shot gun to the weak spot
    4. Melee again (knock back into wall to prevent escape or knock back titan to allow for an escape)
    5. Fire remaining 2 shot gun to ward off pursuers or continue attack damage
    6. Use phase dash while reloading moving through target to re-position behind them or escape (use smoke before phase dash if possible to mask it).
    7. Use arc wave on reappearance (use another smoke before arc if using counter-ready and phased through target for extra damage).
    8. Repeat.

As for sword core I'm still trying to figure out how to be effectively, but I find that:
    1. Activating core during phase dash end or on shotgun reload start (need to phase dash on core end to reload though) is optimal IMO.
    2. Circle dashing around foes helps prevent taking damage, and can use phase dash to dash through a target or sideways to confuse them.
    3. Arc wave becomes more powerful and can one-shot doomed titans. Best used as a ranged attack when closing distance and to prevent target escape.
    4. Sword block can reflect damage back at target but it depends upon projectile type. Still trying figure out the benefits of sword core block.
    5. Can still use smokes during core, so be sure to use em so that on core reset can earn new smokes.
    6. Sword core's dash regen plus phase dash can be synchronized to move REALLY fast but need to practice the timing (which I haven't managed yet, start playing with a modified ninja control scheme with claw style grip lately to manage this (i.e. I swapped reload and melee positions).
  • likeaboss1606
    61 postsPosts: 66
    I usually play Overcore+Anomaly, my friend DanoneDelicious (g100 Ronin btw) runs Overcore+Thunderstorm

My only combo is the common hit-and-run (this is what Ronin's made for, right?): full mag in the back->phase reload (dash through enemy)-> another mag in the back->escape using dashes and sword block;
    tho i stick around in most cases and dash-reload while shooting the enemy in the crit spots
  • ImSmart4Real
    47 postsPosts: 70
    https://forums.titanfall.com/en-us/discussion/10493/how-to-play-as-the-godnin
    Here you go buddy. there are also some combos in there.
    good luck
    "ImSmart- you're not."
  • OdysseyHome
    Did some testing: sword core block doesn't jedi reflect bullets sadly... but if the projectile is an explosive you can deflect it point blank so the splash damage harms the attacker. I think i doomed a northstar that way.
  • V3RN3TTI
    370 postsPosts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Sword block is one of the most powerful tools in Ronin's arsenal. Even useful against nuclear eject.

• Trompetsnegl
    3 postsPosts: 5
    edited March 2017
    I've found that Ronin ROCKS vs pilots with the Assault chips, FAR better than any other titan, because of its one-shot-kill nature.

It's amazing for objective gameplay when you have to leave your titan to do flag runs, capture hardpoints, cash in bounty, etc. I routinely get 2-4 kills per match this way, which doesn't sound impressive, except that happens to be about the number of pilots that tried sneaking past my Ronin to get at me or the objective. Amazing for flag runs where other pilots try to ignore it.

Try it.

Just don't leave it alone near other titans, it's still useless against other titan players.
  • OdysseyHome
    I've found that Ronin ROCKS vs pilots with the Assault chips, FAR better than any other titan, because of its one-shot-kill nature.

It's amazing for objective gameplay when you have to leave your titan to do flag runs, capture hardpoints, cash in bounty, etc. I routinely get 2-4 kills per match this way, which doesn't sound impressive, except that happens to be about the number of pilots that tried sneaking past my Ronin to get at me or the objective. Amazing for flag runs where other pilots try to ignore it.

Try it.

Just don't leave it alone near other titans, it's still useless against other titan players.

Yeah I noticed that too. Mention it in another post about what is the best assault chip titan.

I actually find ION is also rather deadly with AC since it allows her to use laser-shot and snipe people.
  • AlClemBee9575
    17 postsPosts: 22
    I don't use Ronin a lot, but having used extensive use of Northstar I can say that Ronin's sword block CANNOT block the damage done by the Plasma Railgun. The SB reduces the damage done by all other weapons, but the plasma railgun's damage is 100% when facing Ronin. Ronin will still do the SB animation of blocking incoming fire, but the full damage will still be done. Be warned
  • Supersid1004
    75 postsPosts: 92
    Use phase dash to flank an enemy or escape and always use arc wave when opening an attack your sword block should be used when you are either defending or hunting a titan
  • Geddon95405
    171 postsPosts: 204 ✭✭✭
    ronin is awesome and has a killer samurai style

however ronin has major disadvantages when facing long range setups
  • OdysseyHome
    I've noticed that Arc wave dampens the turning sensitivity of titans similarly to arc nades but longer. So it' actually really good to side strafe or phase dash through targets then apply Arc wave so the victim can't turn and shoot you.

Can't hurt what you're not looking at... Unless you are Scorch!
  • Voidwalker-1998
    139 postsPosts: 143
    edited May 2017
    I love to see Ronins spamming melee once they unload the shotgun... the small damage they deal to me when I'm backing up and timing my own melee to knock them back is nothing compared to just reloading the shotgun... people don't realise that...

On a number of occasions, I've even managed to get a Ronin to waste his sword core by knocking him back every time he tried to melee...

As for the way I play Ronin, I more go for an anti-personnel role rather than titan vs titan (depending on the game mode and map). Use hit and Run tactics and try to make sure there's a friendly titan nearby to help you out. With Ronin, I'm more support oriented than assault... which is funny since I'm actually pretty aggressive as Northstar...

And don't forget to use that sword block... I've seen so many Ronins shrug off hostile core abilities with it while only suffering minimal damage... it's actually a bit OP...
    'Vulnerant omnes, ultima necat' - They all hurt, the last one kills.
  • TheMightyM0
    434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
    I have, since having gotten Northstar to Gen10 finally, been really wanting to try another titan. Been debating between Tone, Ronin and Legion, and I am by far the worst with Ronin so this is tremendously helpful.
  • OdysseyHome
    I love to see Ronins spamming melee once they unload the shotgun... the small damage they deal to me when I'm backing up and timing my own melee to knock them back is nothing compared to just reloading the shotgun... people don't realise that...

On a number of occasions, I've even managed to get a Ronin to waste his sword core by knocking him back every time he tried to melee...

As for the way I play Ronin, I more go for an anti-personnel role rather than titan vs titan (depending on the game mode and map). Use hit and Run tactics and try to make sure there's a friendly titan nearby to help you out. With Ronin, I'm more support oriented than assault... which is funny since I'm actually pretty aggressive as Northstar...

And don't forget to use that sword block... I've seen so many Ronins shrug off hostile core abilities with it while only suffering minimal damage... it's actually a bit OP...

Yeah that happened to me against a scorch in LTS on complex. That was infuriating. Why can't I hit you!!!

I player Ronin like a Ninja and can do some pretty nasty things in games with him. You sneak up behind a foe, sword them, they turn and you shotgun their face for crits. Then phase and smoke. If they chase arc wave and they stall in the smoke.

The most important thing is to know when to escape / flee!

I pretty much run a extra countermeasure highlander build in LTS now., if you get a battery and can flank the enemy team while your team holds a front line, you can go crazy with sword core. It's high risk but extremely satisfying high reward. Problem though is if you have a good round, you get 'copycats' who change to their Ronin build. There can only be one [Highlander Ronin]!

Ronin's I see that use sword block as a riot shield for their team I find are playing Ronin wrong. They just give the enemy easy core and Ronin doesn't contribute the powerful damage he is capable of. It's useful in specific situations, but it's a sub-optimal strategy. Absorbing core still does a lot of damage. It's best to phase into cover than take damage, since healing through batteries is minimal and rare.

For other modes non-highlander kits are fine and fun; highlander only really works in LTS.

• 1001powerups
    1 postsPosts: 1
    edited June 2017
    My Robin tactic:
    Kit: thunderstorm and overcore
    Run into ANY Titans with four bars or above(except for scorch) and arc wave, than melee until stun goes out. After use all shots of shotgun then trick the enemy Titan into smoke. Phase, reload and use second arc wave to stun. Shoot and melee away. Between the gaps and break, full-time sword block. After going through the process successfully, you should have a core and get close to the weak Titan and get a kill.
    If encountering another Ronin, then don't go fullout. The other player probably what combo you will use and counter it. Go random.
    If facing a Northstar, get close and don't use shotgun until stunning and giving her a few slashes. Then run because her railgun is probably charged.

and last tip...USE YOUR DASHES SMARTLY, DON'T SPAM THEM. SAVE DASHES TO PREPARE FOR A NUKE EJECT
  • BlazingCarbon
    1 postsPosts: 1
    Ok, So my main man is Ronin, G4. Ronin is good for covering distance fast. He's a hit and run. I run fast fall but that truly is preference of risk it for a kill or be safe. So anyway i run reduce cool down on phase dash. This is essential, in a 1 v 1 you need to get behind them it puts them off and then you dash to duke them even longer. Now you either run turbo engine for that dash as you become so much harder to hit or Nuclear ejection. Personally Ronin is the only titan nuke works on. He has the ability to close distances fast and nuke before they have time to run. A tactic is to phase through them and nuke behind. If they aren't listening its a easy nuke kill. Remember to sword block. Also do this through phase dash as it wont slow you but if you phase into a enemy you can live. When running nuclear ejecting have a anti-titan weapon because you fly, Charge rifle is pretty good when running charge hack because if you miss you can take another 1 or 2 shot, A really good choice is the archer as it can lock on and if you see a enemy on the other side of map in nuclear you can **** them off by hitting them from across the maps. Northstar mains get so **** by this tactic. Also one last thing. Battery backup is your best friend. That shield makes you able to win any 1 v 1 if played right
  • Dinorush13
    680 postsPosts: 689 ✭✭✭
    Ok, So my main man is Ronin, G4. Ronin is good for covering distance fast. He's a hit and run. I run fast fall but that truly is preference of risk it for a kill or be safe. So anyway i run reduce cool down on phase dash. This is essential, in a 1 v 1 you need to get behind them it puts them off and then you dash to duke them even longer. Now you either run turbo engine for that dash as you become so much harder to hit or Nuclear ejection. Personally Ronin is the only titan nuke works on. He has the ability to close distances fast and nuke before they have time to run. A tactic is to phase through them and nuke behind. If they aren't listening its a easy nuke kill. Remember to sword block. Also do this through phase dash as it wont slow you but if you phase into a enemy you can live. When running nuclear ejecting have a anti-titan weapon because you fly, Charge rifle is pretty good when running charge hack because if you miss you can take another 1 or 2 shot, A really good choice is the archer as it can lock on and if you see a enemy on the other side of map in nuclear you can **** them off by hitting them from across the maps. Northstar mains get so **** by this tactic. Also one last thing. Battery backup is your best friend. That shield makes you able to win any 1 v 1 if played right

Don't mean to be rude but a lot of things you suggested are not good in better play. Nuke eject is simply useless against players that have a clue as to what they're doing except Northstar if you can tether them (which is rare). Turbo engine doesn't help you during core, and since Sword Core is what makes Ronin Ronin, you wanna run Overcore. Temporal Anomaly is indeed the best kit, but it is to reduce the amount of openings in which you can take damage, not to get behind them. Archer only works if said Northstar hasn't taken his Archer dodging lessons.
  • BachPatu
    22 postsPosts: 32
    rgoti wrote: »
    xIK0N88x wrote: »
    You might want to use the Battery back up boost when playing with Ronin because he does most of his damage up close and personal and doesn't have much health.
    Yeah, perhaps THE ONE BIG knock against Ronin IS the lack of health, which is why I tend to go with either Ion or Monarch (Wih Ronin as my "3rd Stringer" as it were :) )

Sometimes I go with Tone too (Been doing so lately beause I need to catch her up level-wise with Ion & Monarch as well as Ronin)

As for Northstar & Scorch, until I get the hang of them (Moreso the latter than the former), I'll only play with them when I'm in Solo Practice matches against enemy Minions (BTW - Thanks for the option to g private against enemy Minions Devs - MUCH appreciated :) Helps me get work in on weapons I often have difficulty with in public matches (Like Sniping - THAT is an ART that takes SKILL but PRACTICE DOES MAKE PERFECT :) )

BP
  • G 21 ronin here,

In my opinion, there are no overall tips I can give that you've not already heard. This is because situational variables should dictate how you act and play as a ronin.

In attrition, for example, on certain maps, it's difficult to use ronin effectively at all. LTS and Titan Brawl are the best modes for a ronin, as they're titan focused combat without pilots in the mix, which is truly the domain of the ronin.

Way I see it, there are two main ways to play ronin,
    One being the sword core path, using highlander kit and overcore to just get your electric sword and use it to get 2-4 kills. Maybe even 5-6. This is an incredibly offensive ronin used for aggressive combat and the like.
    I do not acknowledge nuke ronin; it's not a playstyle at all and should never be attempted.
    The other is defensive ronin. This is achieved by using the twin thunder or temporal anomaly kit, along with dash boost or overcore again. Use sword block until an opportunity presents itself and hope to execute the enemy, this helps with staying healthy and alive, otherwise you lose health.

Use your block, dash only when needed, hit all your arc waves and use allies for cover and bait. If you see a low health friendly, chances are you can use them to weaken the enemy and get a kill or two. Use choke points to force close range fights and for Ronin's sake remember your sword block.
  • OdysseyHome
    Ronin can be rather effective farming minions in attrition with sword melee. Used to be lethal to reapers but not so much now because they can strip too much health now.

Plus he's rather good at killing pilots... So he's really good in attrition if you use battery boost. Hence why i prefer overcore than turbo engines... Already have three dashes...
  • L453R-634M
    12 postsPosts: 18
    Overcore/Temporal Anomaly ftw but Highlander is great fun in Titan Brawl.