Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.

Help an old-timer git gud at Attrition

DrSuarez66
11 postsPosts: 12
So I'm really struggling in Attrition. By contrast, when I play Amped (which has become my go-to) I usually do about average on kills and above-average on points. And this is without camping. (I shuttle between objectives and only camp during capture or imminent attack.)
With Attrition, I both have trouble finding AI drops, and when I do, I will farm them only to be ganked by a pilot taking advantage of my AI focus. I wind up feeling terribly because I know the other team is getting 5 points off me every time while I am getting 3-4 on grunt pods.
Given that my skills will never be top-tier, how can I find more fun and success in Attrition?

This is when running around as a pilot, by the way. I consider myself pretty passable as a Titan driver.

Generally, I'm an assault-rifle player who uses phase shift, but am open to changing it up. I run Scorch on tighter maps and Tone on more open ones.

Happy to answer follow-up questions below.

Comments

• DrSuarez66
    Would it have helped if I had titled this "Help a hot chick with rich parents git gud at Attrition"?
  • TheMightyM0
    434 postsPosts: 457 ✭✭✭
    DrSuarez66 wrote: »
    Would it have helped if I had titled this "Help a hot chick with rich parents git gud at Attrition"?

Hahaha, apparently not.

I sometimes have really bad losing streaks on Titanfall as well, and I play Attrition most of the time.

What kinds of grenades do you use? I tend to prefer the ordnance expert perk and the esmoke grenades because you can toss one into a group of grunts and usually walk away or quickly check your surroundings before finishing off whichever grunts or specters or whatever managed to sneak out of the cloud.

Also, try to play around the edges of each map. The middle of the map is a great killing zone for pilots on either side, because you have two directions to worry about enemy fire coming from instead of one.

Mainly, though, make a bunch of loadouts, using a variety of weapons and perks. Try the grappling hook out, try out pb (it goes great on sandwiches) and the cloak. Yes, try out holopilot. It's hilarious. Use the grenadier weapons, to. Give yourself a little time to experiment with different loadouts and weapons, because just because a loadout works well on one game mode doesn't mean it will be completely ideal for another. For example, SMGs are excellent weapons because with the gun runner perk, you can mow through groups of grunts or even specters and keep moving, but you will usually struggle with pilots at the longer ranges that Attrition generally has.

Definitely work on learning how people move around in each map on Attrition. Amped Hardpoint forces combat around specific objectives, while Attrition is more open-ended in terms of where you will find the action. I created a forum post that got zero love about that kind of thing.

Hopefully this helps. I do have to throw in a plug for giving the Sidewinder a try. It's very tricky to use at any range further than ten or twenty feet, but if you use it like a an SMG or a shotgun, it is devastating. It also goes through every minion type like butter, even doing impressive damage to Reapers. Give it a shot, but stick to cover while you use it. It's tricky.

Oh, and yelling ATTRITIOOOOOON, ATTRITION like the opening song from Fiddler on the Roof helps too. Helps you not be furious at every game before it even starts.
  • LuZoRocK
    2 postsPosts: 3
    Best advice? Kill everything directly in front of you as quickly as possible, while checking your surroundings.
    Prioritize Pilot kills over AIs. Never spend more than 3 seconds staring at an AI mob, check your surroundings and look for the red highlights. Eventually you'll get good enough where this process with be fluid
  • DrSuarez66
    Thanks, MightyMo and Luzo! Couple things:

I went ahead and had an Attrition binge Friday night. To my surprise, it went better than I expected. My plan was to start each round by taking a flanking route along the edge of the map to hunt pilots early. To my delight, I was able to find a few and, terrible aim notwithstanding, score 1-2 pilot kills right off the bat. Once that plan played out I started grunt-hunting more.

Tried the Flatline but found it too hard to control. I went back to the R-201 which seemed to be the ticket. I used Phase Shift the whole time and was able to get out of some jams with it, but I also definitely experienced getting killed while I was swapping into phase.

I ran Scorch on all maps save Homestead. Had a crazy Scorch run on Crash Site that I somehow failed to record. Poo.

MightyMo: I will try more tacticals. I use PB exclusively on Amped (since the use case is bloody obvious). How do you use it on Attrition? My big problem sometimes is that I just can't find the grunts, and PB is a bit too location specific. Am thinking of using Map Hack a lot more.

Despite mostly using the R201, I did work the Alternator in a bit and had some luck. Was even able to get one of those crazy long-range tap-fire kills. This was on Drydock.

Luzo: Glad to hear it. I did what you said, pretty much. I didn't ever ignore AI mobs but I prioritized pilots through my route choices, particularly early.

Things to work on next time:
    -Finding AI mobs reliably. Some rounds I doubled my nearest teammate on minion kills. Other times I could barely find them.
    -Finding a better titan for open maps. Scorch worked great, but on Homestead I had some luck with Tone but also got sliced up by a Ronin. Will give Legion a try.
    -Swapping control schemes. I started on Evolved, then went back to Default because hitting circle (PS4) was too hard for melee. Now with melee on the right stick, I STILL lose most melee encounters, and now I can't jump while shooting. Thinking of going back to Evolved or maybe bumper-jumper so that in close encounters I can jump back and up while shooting, since melee just isn't my jam. Thoughts on that?

Thanks, guys!
  • DrSuarez66
    Oh, sorry, MightyMo, I didn't answer your question. I actually do use Electric Smoke (for the same reason you do) but I don't use the ordnance expert perk. Does it make a huge difference?
  • DrSuarez66
    Oh and yes. The Fiddler reference is OUTSTANDING, pilot.
  • JTR277
    231 postsPosts: 236 ✭✭✭
    So I'm really struggling in Attrition. By contrast, when I play Amped (which has become my go-to) I usually do about average on kills and above-average on points. And this is without camping. (I shuttle between objectives and only camp during capture or imminent attack.)
    With Attrition, I both have trouble finding AI drops, and when I do, I will farm them only to be ganked by a pilot taking advantage of my AI focus. I wind up feeling terribly because I know the other team is getting 5 points off me every time while I am getting 3-4 on grunt pods.
    Given that my skills will never be top-tier, how can I find more fun and success in Attrition?

This is when running around as a pilot, by the way. I consider myself pretty passable as a Titan driver.

Generally, I'm an assault-rifle player who uses phase shift, but am open to changing it up. I run Scorch on tighter maps and Tone on more open ones.

From one old Timer to another.............

Sounds like your doing pretty good.

I'm just an average player in Attrition scoring around 8-10 pilots, a couple or three Titans and as many minions as I can find.

I run and gun but if I start to go negative I will slow down. There is a fine line between fast pilot movement and running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Shoot and move, shoot and move. Every time you fire you show up on the mini map giving away your position. When you come across a minion pod throw ordinance so you don't have to stop. Watch the mini map for the direction of the enemy fire. Watch for the red circle on the mini map indicating a pilot and red triangle for enemy titan. Listen for pilot tactical abilities, footsteps and jump jets. The red glow will reveal that pilot hiding in a group of minions.

I don't chase pilots. If I see one on the opposite side of the map I won't change what I am doing just for that one pilot. He will probably be gone by the time you get there anyway. Attrition is a race to 475. Put as many points on the board as fast as you can. Running from one side to the other chasing a pilot is time that could be used farming minions.

Just like fishing. You don't leave fish to find fish.

The map will determine which pilot load out I start with and usually change as the match progresses. Going from a ranged weapon like the G2 at the beginning to a closer range like shotgun or other as the game play dictates.

The fire star is an instant kill if you hit a pilot with it. Smoke grenade is good for minions. A knowledgeable player will move before it kills them. Grenades must be cooked before serving. Satchels always a good choice but remember they have a short delay before you can detonate them. Arc grenades only stun a pilot unless you throw two.

Tone is a pilot and reaper killer. She is weak against titans but in the right hands can ruin someone's day.

As you know, TF2 requires good eye sight, hearing and twitch like reflexes. None of which I have but..............

Youth and enthusiasm is no match for old age and treachery. :)
    XB1 - EST - Dallas Server

A wise man once said..................................nothing
  • TheMightyM0
    As far as PB use, I use it almost as much for misdirection as I do for spotting people. Try throwing it behind a titan to distract it. Works amazingly well as long as the titan isn't fighting another titan.

Realistically, though, good use of Pulse Blade requires experience with map traffic. Pay close attention to where players are going each time you play a game (remember where you die, where you respawn, and where you see large groups of grunts). Learning where other players typically go helps with learning where to put your PB. Mainly, look for large buildings that have several routes into and out of them, such as the center area of Forwardbase Kodai and the two hallways on Drydock. Anywhere where there are close quarters and blind corners are places where you can catch pilots, but beware that they will know that you where they are and will frequently try to camp and force you to come to them. You can also throw your PB into groups of minions, since players like to butcher those helpless soldiers or robots and so they work great as lures.

For titan use on Homestead, give Northstar and Ion a shot. Both of them can fight at long range very effectively, and are (in my opinion) more satisfying than Tone. Not saying Tone is bad, but I personally have more fun piloting both Ion and Northstar than Tone. Read up on the forums about using both though, because they are tricky.

As for the ordnance expert perk, I like it because I almost always have a grenade and it gives you a marker that shows exactly where it will go. This really helps when you are trying to long-bomb a grenade into a window or behind a Tone's shield. That's the other reason I use that thing, since it does a bit of damage to titans and often forces them to move.

No matter what, if you are in a position to help your teammates deal with enemy titans, do it. Shoot them once or twice with your AT weapon, throw smoke or an arc grenade, or even just hop onto them and immediately jump off and scoot away. Anything that helps your team trash enemy titans will help you win.

Hopefully that helps some more.
  • DrSuarez66
    Great advice from both of you! Lots to work on here. I think for now I'll shut up and wait until my next opportunity to play to try some of this out.
  • Yamitri
    25 postsPosts: 25
    edited January 2017
    JTR277 wrote: »
    Tone is a pilot and reaper killer. She is weak against titans but in the right hands can ruin someone's day.

Sorry, i had to chime in here.

Depending on play style, Tone can be an absolutely devastating adversary regardless of what titan you have.
    I play tone and legion exclusively and can say with absolute certainty that tone is the best all around titan, especially with turbo engine mixed in.

She can go toe-to-toe with any titan and come out as the clear victor.. the only way she gets puts down is if she is caught off guard or you take a 2 on 1 fight and don't kite your foes.

I'd always recommend tone to a new player simply because she can punch through most titans in only 3 bursts and create a clear cut advantage in battle, all you need to do is take a shoot and back off approach. You fire at them land 3 locks and fire your salvo as well as popping your pulse blade at them before backing off behind cover if you need to reload. DO NOT NEGLECT YOUR BARRIER.

Generally a capable pilot will boost to push you out of your barrier which is excellent; as they push up you drop your electric smoke and keep putting rounds into them, they should be dead by the time they arrive and be executable with a melee.

With that being said, you sound like someone who is getting progressively better and favors the R-201 (for life) over all other weapons which i applaud. Keep up the good work!
  • JTR277 wrote: »

From one old Timer to another.............

Sounds like your doing pretty good.

I'm just an average player in Attrition scoring around 8-10 pilots, a couple or three Titans and as many minions as I can find.

I run and gun but if I start to go negative I will slow down. There is a fine line between fast pilot movement and running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Shoot and move, shoot and move. Every time you fire you show up on the mini map giving away your position. When you come across a minion pod throw ordinance so you don't have to stop. Watch the mini map for the direction of the enemy fire. Watch for the red circle on the mini map indicating a pilot and red triangle for enemy titan. Listen for pilot tactical abilities, footsteps and jump jets. The red glow will reveal that pilot hiding in a group of minions.

I don't chase pilots. If I see one on the opposite side of the map I won't change what I am doing just for that one pilot. He will probably be gone by the time you get there anyway. Attrition is a race to 475. Put as many points on the board as fast as you can. Running from one side to the other chasing a pilot is time that could be used farming minions.

Just like fishing. You don't leave fish to find fish.

The map will determine which pilot load out I start with and usually change as the match progresses. Going from a ranged weapon like the G2 at the beginning to a closer range like shotgun or other as the game play dictates.

The fire star is an instant kill if you hit a pilot with it. Smoke grenade is good for minions. A knowledgeable player will move before it kills them. Grenades must be cooked before serving. Satchels always a good choice but remember they have a short delay before you can detonate them. Arc grenades only stun a pilot unless you throw two.

As you know, TF2 requires good eye sight, hearing and twitch like reflexes. None of which I have but..............

Youth and enthusiasm is no match for old age and treachery. :)

No better advice, than the advice of the old dogs. I love it! JTR277 and DrSuarez66, Dadski40plus will run with you two any day of the week. Dr, I've had my bad experiences with Attrition as well. I've come to find the loadout an strategy that work best for me involve the "Devotion"; "Grapple"; "Map Hack" and "Ion". Staying close to the map fringes really works well, but this setup also allows me to gank the gankers. See you guys on the battlefield, old brothers!
  • DrSuarez66
    Okay, breaking radio silence. Yamitri is right. If you can get multiple locks with Tone you can spam multiple titans with missiles. But I didn't know the close quarters smoke trick, so thank you for that!

Dadski: I really haven't given the Devotion its due. I tried running with it some but I had trouble with it in close-quarters fights. I think up close I have to treat it like the G2 and tap fire as opposed to waiting for it to spin up. I mean, it really is the best way to mow down grunts. In deference to the salty ones on Reddit, I'll run it without running Tone in the same round.

Yes, I love the R201, but I am realizing I haven't given the CAR its due. My question there is I have gotten the vague sense that SMGs don't have the same aim assist as ARs, and aim assist is probably something I need. Is that true? If not, I can see myself going into my next session with the Devotion for bigger maps and the CAR for tighter ones.
  • Hmmm...I'm going to have to give the "CAR in close quarters" option a try, later tonight.
  • JTR277
    The CAR is the best weapon for hip fire which makes it's a good choice for close quarters. The best close quarter weapon is a shot gun.

Back in TF1 I had my go to load out but when I started switching up the load outs as the match progressed I found I scored higher (Attrition).

An example of switching up load outs and weapons:

On Crash Site if we spawned at the bottom of Hamburger Hill I would start with the G2. Get into cover behind the left pillar and get one or two pilot kills and a few grunts. The other team would go inside and some would try to flank. Switch to the R201, CAR, Flatline or Hemlock as the battle moved in closer.

You don't have to die to switch weapons. You can pick up an opponents weapon. The grunts usually carry the R201. Specters an SMG of kind. The other Specter (can't remember their name) usually carry the L Star. If you have an anti-Titan weapon trade it for an opponents assault rifle (early in the match there won't be any Titans). Now you have two primary weapons.

Another tip for electric smoke:

If you get hit with a Fire Star - pop a smoke fart and it with disable the fire star.

(That tip came from a forum member - can't remember their name)

• mgood1845
    141 postsPosts: 154 ✭✭
    OP my advice is find a weapon you are comfortable with, and keep with that set up. Once you have a pilot load out you are comfortable with. IMO Attrition gives you subtle hints....ever notice how when AI drops in around you they are always of your team color (blue) and if you are running around the map you see the (Orange) AI? Well i take that is there is a enemy pilot nearby...

Use your radar, and look for where fire is coming from. As others have said keep moving. Camping in a location may work for 1-2 kills but the kill cam shows the player you killed your location so revenge is coming your way.

I run in Titanfall 2 across the maps like i'm crossing the street in a city ...i first look left then right, and move through the map with speed and purpose. Don't linger in the wide open.

Pilots usually not always travel in packs (If you see and kill 1) there is most likely going to be a teammate to clean you up. So either move to gain health back (if you took damage) or keep alert and look for his friend for your double kill.

Use the Kill Report perk in your loadout, it will show you a skull and crossbones emblem of either a killed enemy pilot (Orange Skull) or a killed friendly Pilot (Blue Skull) this will give you an on screen awareness of the map and when paired with your radar is very helpful.

The movement in attrition as well as all modes of Titanfall is meant to be extremely fast....learn the normal routes pilots take to get to locations on the map. And keep your eyes open for pilots moving in those areas.

Oh and last but not least, if you see a Reaper drop...run....,I hate allowing myself to be killed by one when i've just got a double pilot kill!

Keep up the good work in the game mode and don't be discouraged. You are gonna be improving with every match.
  • ProjectBangarang
    3680 postsPosts: 3,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

No it's just this sub topic. No one really comes in here. You would be better off posting in General Discussion even though this sub topic is technically the place to post this thread very few people check in here.
    "Gentlemen, I'm afraid I have decided to cancel the war. Kill them. Kill them all." - JAS. Hook, Captain
  • DrSuarez66
    edited February 2017
    Thought you might want to see this. (Link -->)Some Scorch mayhem from a recent round of attrition. (Also I could use the upvotes)
  • rgoti
    33 postsPosts: 35
    Thanks to the advice on this topic I manage to improve in Attrition in a short period of time. Being and amped hampoints and LTS player before the change to Attrition is not a easy task for me.

At the beginning I was getting from 35 to 45 points but now from 80 to 100. I stick with my gun and for pilot loadout I mostly use Grapple and Holo. I need to improve on the overall movement skills due that something I feel like a turtle or chicken on the map running wild.

In order to continue this topic and keep it fresh I want to know the loadout that most people use here specially the pilot tactical.
  • DrSuarez66
    edited February 2017
    rgoti wrote: »
    Thanks to the advice on this topic I manage to improve in Attrition in a short period of time. Being and amped hampoints and LTS player before the change to Attrition is not a easy task for me.

At the beginning I was getting from 35 to 45 points but now from 80 to 100. I stick with my gun and for pilot loadout I mostly use Grapple and Holo. I need to improve on the overall movement skills due that something I feel like a turtle or chicken on the map running wild.

In order to continue this topic and keep it fresh I want to know the loadout that most people use here specially the pilot tactical.

For Attrition I use Phase Shift, though I'm considering going back to Cloak for a spell. For Amped Hardpoint I used Pulse Blade forever, but am experimenting with Holo Pilot. So far I haven't quite found the knack for it yet.

With Bounty Hunt, I tend to use my Attrition load out, but I switch from Dice Roll boost to Map Hack and fire it off whenever the banks open.

EDIT: Adding weapons. I blew out the Hemlock for ages so I'm mostly avoiding it now unless I'm really scuffling. Had a nice R201 spell, and am now working mostly with the Devotion and the Alternator. Will sneak the G2 in there from time to time. I avoided the Devotion for a long time but frankly, I'm done eating the reddit salt. It's really good for attrition because it's a great grunt-farming weapon, and for fighting pilots... hey, I'm 38 with a wife, two kids, a job, and 2 hours of commuting. I can't play 3 hours a day. I don't mind getting a little leg up. I use the MGL for my anti-titan needs.
  • JTR277

I change my load out frequently but the one I use most is:

R201
    MGL
    Fire Star
    Pulse Blade

Boost: Battery

• TheMightyM0
    edited February 2017

So for Attrition, I usually run with either Grapple or Pulse Blade. Grapple is great for getting way across the map and pulling off some fantastic early flanks, while Pulse Blade is useful in a lot of other situations.

I have mainly been playing with the Sidewinder SMR equipped with speed reload and gunrunner, paired with the Gravity Grenade to slightly improve my chances of hitting what I'm shooting at. Ordnance Expert, Power Cell or Health Regen are all good choices, but I primarily use Hover as a secondary because this style of loadout requires you to be up in the air or on the walls almost continuously for it to be effective.

For secondary weapons, any of the Titan weapons work. I would recommend also using a pistol to finish pesky pilots off, since the SMR can be used quite effectively to harass Titans as well.

With Titans, that depends on the map, but for Ion, Scorch and Legion, I run Overcore and Emergency Battery to be able to pull off rapid Core uses several times per titan fight. Everything else, I'd recommend Counter Ready or even Turbo Engine.

Any other questions? I'm glad to help out with lpadouts that I have had fun with and that I've gotten pretty good at.

I do have to share this loadout with a caveat - the SMR is really hard to get used to. I have been forcing myself to use this loadout to improve my evasion and movement skills, and as a result I've been having way more fun worth it than numerical or score success. Try it out.
  • Aimbot_user
    19 postsPosts: 26

This might be a little late, but as a generally exclusive attrition player I tend to do best when I take phase shift and start hunting pilots. My top score in attrition is 216 and I average... well, idk but probably around 115, which I hit essentially every game. Basically, you want to abuse the full extent of the mobility system in Titanfall 2, jumping and wallrunning all over the place and making it harder to hit you. Stay in the air as long as possible when there are no pilots around, and as short as possible when there are. Jumping/wallrunning/slidehopping makes your movement much more predictable and it is easier to hit you, but you move faster. For me, the game centers around this movement system. For me, grunt farming is one of the most boring ways to play because it doesn't involve any of this all that much, but for those inexperienced with the mobility system it is probably the way to start off, as I did in the first Titanfall.

TL;DR: I use car/eva, with tactikill and speedloader, and phase shift to basically roam the map as I please and kill anyone in the way. For me, it has been my most successful attrition loadout.

For better accuracy when airborne, I typically use either the eva or the CAR. Since these guns require a very close engagement, I use phase shift to get out if things get too deadly. Every phase pilot MUST take fast regen, or else phase is kind of useless. Fast regen lets you gain all your health back with one phase, so you can stay alive basically forever. Compound this with tactikill, giving you a phase charge per kill, and you can guarantee an escape from any fight. Speedloader is also essential so you can reload inside phase.
    Since this is such a close engagement, I will either run firestar for the ranged attack or gravity star for the extra speed(pretend you are rocket jumping from team fortress 2, but use the gravity star explosion instead of a rocket. It's one of the best experiences in the whole game when you make it, trust me).

As far as controllers go, I always use bumper jumper pilot. It makes phase shifting super weird, but the mobility gained from being able to slidehop(jump, slide quickly followed by a jump, slidejump, slidejump. On Pc, hold down ctrl and spam space bar.) is worth it. If you haven't mastered it, though, classic works too. For aim, I use steady and 3/4 the default sensitivity. I am a pc player, though, so I don't have much experience with controllers though.
  • Aimbot_user
    19 postsPosts: 26
    Oh, one more thing. The username is to **** people off when I kill them, I don't actually aimbot.
  • Zachecan
    14 postsPosts: 14
    If your playing any online game, you must always be on the move. I know since i have a 3.0 k/d and a 76% win percentage. I use a R-201 since its good all around and legion but lets get back to you. On Attrition, i always swing into action, i usually attack pilots and hip fire grunts while wall running since they aren't hard to kill or i just grenade them. And try to find your sensitivity max point. I try to find the highest sensitivity i can reach so i can turn around as fast and as comfortably as possible, but if you see grunts, kill them on the move with a pistol or something and when you see a pilot, switch to primary and give them **** (though my secondary is a archer). Hope this helps!
  • rgoti
    33 postsPosts: 35

This might be a little late, but as a generally exclusive attrition player I tend to do best when I take phase shift and start hunting pilots. My top score in attrition is 216 and I average... well, idk but probably around 115, which I hit essentially every game. Basically, you want to abuse the full extent of the mobility system in Titanfall 2, jumping and wallrunning all over the place and making it harder to hit you. Stay in the air as long as possible when there are no pilots around, and as short as possible when there are. Jumping/wallrunning/slidehopping makes your movement much more predictable and it is easier to hit you, but you move faster. For me, the game centers around this movement system. For me, grunt farming is one of the most boring ways to play because it doesn't involve any of this all that much, but for those inexperienced with the mobility system it is probably the way to start off, as I did in the first Titanfall.

TL;DR: I use car/eva, with tactikill and speedloader, and phase shift to basically roam the map as I please and kill anyone in the way. For me, it has been my most successful attrition loadout.

For better accuracy when airborne, I typically use either the eva or the CAR. Since these guns require a very close engagement, I use phase shift to get out if things get too deadly. Every phase pilot MUST take fast regen, or else phase is kind of useless. Fast regen lets you gain all your health back with one phase, so you can stay alive basically forever. Compound this with tactikill, giving you a phase charge per kill, and you can guarantee an escape from any fight. Speedloader is also essential so you can reload inside phase.
    Since this is such a close engagement, I will either run firestar for the ranged attack or gravity star for the extra speed(pretend you are rocket jumping from team fortress 2, but use the gravity star explosion instead of a rocket. It's one of the best experiences in the whole game when you make it, trust me).

As far as controllers go, I always use bumper jumper pilot. It makes phase shifting super weird, but the mobility gained from being able to slidehop(jump, slide quickly followed by a jump, slidejump, slidejump. On Pc, hold down ctrl and spam space bar.) is worth it. If you haven't mastered it, though, classic works too. For aim, I use steady and 3/4 the default sensitivity. I am a pc player, though, so I don't have much experience with controllers though.

Thanks to all for your feedback to keep this thread alive and kicking with some very good tips.

@Aimbot_user: I will try out your loadout and try to be more agressive without running like a crazy or chicken. :)
  • TheMightyM0
    A good way to use holopilot is to equip a shotgun and send the hokopilot in front of blind corners and doorways. That draws pilots out so well that it is crazy, since it isn't a commonly used kit and so people aren't often expecting it. When they shoot it, wait a second for them to stop and then blast them!
  • Supersid1004
    75 postsPosts: 92
    if you want to do good in attrition stick to grunts and spectres early match and when stalkers and reapers spawn go for them in your titan and then if you are playing as pilot then go for pilots in the second half.
  • Titanfall 2 Forums
    Welcome to the Titanfall 2 Forums. We have made a few adjustments to help eliminate spam and fake accounts. Starting today to participate in discussions, you must own Titanfall 2 and have a linked EA account. If you're having issues posting but do own the game, log out completely and clear your browser cache, cookies, and temp files, then restart the browser.
    Getting pwned as a newb. Desperately need help.
    KuroPredatorKuroPredator
    August 2017 in Tips & Tricks
    I've just started this game and played a load of frontier defense to get an idea of what does what. The moment I step into PvP though. I just get wrecked by G20 players...my kd is like 0.5 now. I've watched a ton of youtube guides and all but they are all very basic saying things like have map awareness, don't stay still, kill grunts in attrition if you can blah blah.

I desperately need some legit tips on how to get much much better at multiplayer. Should I be playing more MP or start out by training at the gauntlet? High or low mouse sensitivity? Should I bother learning slide hopping early on?
    Quote · Insightful Awesome
    Chillster64Chillster64
    August 2017
    I think the first thing you should do is play the campaign to get used to the style of the game
    KuroPredatorKuroPredator
    August 2017
    Chillster64 wrote: »
    I think the first thing you should do is play the campaign to get used to the style of the game

It's already been done
    Chillster64Chillster64
    August 2017
    Try coliseum mode. It will help train you in one on one combat
    Chillster64Chillster64
    August 2017
    And play the campaign
    Chillster64Chillster64
    August 2017
    You need to be EXTREMELY quick and have very good reflexes too. You should use grapple and the R201 carbine. Good combination
    Chillster64Chillster64
    August 2017
    Grapple helps you get around really quick and the R201 is VERY affective. I'm a G3 pilot and I use it
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    G18 here. I think I can help you. The tips in the videos you watch while basic, are pretty good. Stick to the game, don't get discouraged. Map awareness is very important, because over time you can figure out good wall running routes, and you can figure out where people fight. I wouldn't suggesting learning bhopping too early, but if you want:
    Bhop:
    Bounce off a wall, crouch mid air, (note the gun's slanted position) as soon as you hit the ground jump again, and once you hit jump hit crouch again. Then gun should be at a slant the whole time. Rinse repeat. (For more detail Iniquity has a good guide)
    Useuful for when your wall jump can't quite get you far enough.
    The gun:
    Guns with good solid damage are good for starters. The R-201, Car, Alternator, are my suggestions. Keep in mind how they play. The R-201 is a decent hip fire, though its even better when ADS. The car is the best hip fire in the game, keep your cross hair trained on them and it will do. The Alternator is a bit more tricky (relatively speaking) as it has a side to side recoil. However, getting past that is where the magic happens. The other day in Live fire, I was killed at full health from 3 shots from the alternator, not amped.
    The tactical:
    Grapple is useful for beginners for the failed wall runs or the "I didn't quite make it" situations. If you want an edge, go see PaperCut2U.
    However, Stim is alot more practical for times because it buffs your speed, and brings about swift regen. I would highly recommend not using it though to get into the fight. Be patient, get there, and use it when you get low. The hard part is that most people tend to stick with one gun the entire time, so you see them with the counter on the side of their gun (unlocked when gun regenerates at level 20, [I think]) stating they have 20k kills. They know how to use that gun, so it will be harder to fight them.
    Phase Shift is also nice, as when you phase you are immune to damage, can reload your gun, and get the health timer rolling, but the enemy will most likely know where you will come out, as it leaves a trail. Of course, I haven't tested it since the nerf (two charges to one fast cooldown charge) So I don't know if it is still as amazing.
    So now we have Stim and the Car. Now what?
    The secondary.
    Choose a pistol. By making the secondary slot a pistol, if you ever use the smart pistol for any reason it won't replace the your anti titan weapon.
    For the anti titan weapon you can probably only use the MGL or charge rifle (I honestly don't know) but the Thunderbolt is quite good because you can just fire in their direction and it will hurt them several times.
    Gun Mods: For the car I would suggest going for mods like Speed loader or extra ammo, Gun runner, (maybe) but most of all Tactikill. These will be very nice. A scope is not needed, but if you want one work it out yourself, I use the holo one.
    For the alternator, same as above.
    For the R-201, scrap gun runner and think about gun ready.
    If you use the MGL give it extra ammo and speedloader. Then, i haven't figured out how those affect the other guns.
    Try to move fast. Staying off the ground will be the best method, bhopping once or twice when you actually do touch the ground. If you follow this method you also shouldn't need gun runner.
    Watch your six.
    Flanking is really easy due to the fast speeds, but usually for a reason I haven't pinned down enemies will have an orange outline through walls, (occaisonally) so use that, watching the mini map helps. The large orange circles (not the small ones) are either pilots or reapers, usually pilots, so use that. You can also listen for their entrance by a "whoosh", though thats harder and usually helps more in amped hardpoint.
    Guns to stay away from:
    Until you think your ready, don't use the Mastiff, the Cold war, the softball, the SMR, the kraber, the double take.
    These weapons can be unstoppable (except the softball or SMR, those just suck) but are also really... interesting.... to use.
    For the grenade, any is good, but the frag is the best one. What you want to do is hold the grenade in you hand. On PC the nade button is "Q". So I hold "Q" (thus holding my nade) and it will cook it. The other grenades will do their stuff on contact, but you can still hold them. The frag will have a multiple second timer. upon holding the nade for for several seconds, you will begin to hear a series of beeps. All nades but the frag will be thrown at the end of the beeps. The frag will explode, killing you. It might take a couple of games, but usually once the frag starts the beep you want to lob it at your foe at if you did it right it will explode killing them instantly. Useful for everything pilot related. For longer lobs, hold it for less time. for closer lobs, hold it for more time.
    Fire star does constant damage on the ground, and if they stick to you your screwed. Satchels have a remote detonation, Gravity stars will suck in nades, bullets, pilots, grunts spectres, and deal a tiny bit of damage to its contents upon exploding. If you want it to work, you have to land it on or immediately next to your target, Only way out is phase shift, grapple, death, or the grav stars explosion.
    For the kits at the bottom, use Powercell or Fast regen, either is good, and then on the right aim for Low profile, as its really the only way to take a battery from a titan. For the R-201 and other ADS guns, consider Hover. Hover is for ADS, and then Wall hang is for hip fire guns. Keep that in mind.
    A cool trick is if you know where your enemy is, say you were flying at them and they ducked into the building, start firing your gun before you enter the room, because there is a slight moment of nothing once you start shooting. By having this moment before you enter the room, chances are your gun will already be firing before theirs.
    Everything else is just experience!

Man this took awhile. I might come back later to talk about titans. Try new things, and just stick through it. We have all had 8 months, you have had (insert amount of time since purchase) Welcome to Titanfall 2.
    Quote · 1Insightful Awesome
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    hm odd that it posted that half in italics.
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    RedShield75 wrote: »
    hm odd that it posted that half in italics.

I swear I posted a really lengthy post right before this, but its not showing. Dangit that took me forever and was really useful.

Tl:DR
    Stim + Car + Pistol + Charge Rifle or Thunderbolt
    Frag nade, hold down nade button till beep, then lob.
    Stim gives health, use it mid fight, not to get to one.
    Prefire your gun, start shooting before entering a room.
    Car should have Extra ammo or speedloader with tactikill
    Fast Regen or Powercell, Wall hang or low profile. (Hover instead of wall hang if you are using an ADS
    Speed loader and extra ammo on MGL,
    Hit your target, watch out for really good players, they are kind of unstoppable if you have no experience. Look up Iniquity's guide for movement if you want to Bhop, then just practice.
    You played the campaign? Did you like it?
    Experiment with different ideas.
    If you use grapple, watch some PaperCut2U or other good grapple peeps on the youtubes.
    Try to start shooting first. Sneaking up on an enemy is a really effective way to kill them. Stay above them at all times.
    To be honest my favorite pilot, a Grapple + Cold War, came to me in a dream. Most beneficial dream ever.
    siftycatsiftycat
    August 2017
    Buy a console, the PC is not only mostly dead, but it's jam packed full of cheats. Respawn and EA haven't done anything about it at all. The only time EA are is when money is involved (like with the FIFA points). They've made PC pretty much worthless. That's why everyone is playing Frontier Defense now - botters don't matter. Console doesn't have that problem so PvP is still thriving.

All you need is one botter on one team going in for 20+ kills in attrition (which is the only game mode people play on PC) and you'll end up losing hard. What can you do when there's people standing out in the open headshotting from massive distances, or when you watch the killcam as they track you through walls and pop you instantly, or when every shot they take at your titan hits your vitals and can knock off two bars of health. There's no in-game report button and you get tired of sending off videos. Most of the matches I've played on Xbox have been within 100 points. On PC most of the matches are hard losses for one team, 250+ points. EA's two AAA FPS from 2016 only have server side anti-cheat, and it shows in both of them.

This is so much worse than BF4 or TF1. If I'd paid anything more than $5 to put up with this I'd be annoyed. But as it stands I can just sit back and watch the PC community in denial or lying as it kills FPS for itself.
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    siftycat wrote: »
    Buy a console, the PC is not only mostly dead, but it's jam packed full of cheats. Respawn and EA haven't done anything about it at all. The only time EA are is when money is involved (like with the FIFA points). They've made PC pretty much worthless. That's why everyone is playing Frontier Defense now - botters don't matter. Console doesn't have that problem so PvP is still thriving.

All you need is one botter on one team going in for 20+ kills in attrition (which is the only game mode people play on PC) and you'll end up losing hard. What can you do when there's people standing out in the open headshotting from massive distances, or when you watch the killcam as they track you through walls and pop you instantly, or when every shot they take at your titan hits your vitals and can knock off two bars of health. There's no in-game report button and you get tired of sending off videos. Most of the matches I've played on Xbox have been within 100 points. On PC most of the matches are hard losses for one team, 250+ points. EA's two AAA FPS from 2016 only have server side anti-cheat, and it shows in both of them.

This is so much worse than BF4 or TF1. If I'd paid anything more than $5 to put up with this I'd be annoyed. But as it stands I can just sit back and watch the PC community in denial or lying as it kills FPS for itself.

ummm. I have no idea how to respond to this. I got this game back in the week before Black Friday. (Remember that odd sale? I got it then in case the sale didn't last) Since then, I can only remember one hacker in my game, and it was during free weekend when Live Fire was released. Was in two games, never saw another. The most "aim bot" I see is when it looks like someone is using aim assist. Those I feel are using cheats I watch meticulously during kill cams, and there is always a mess up eventually. Also, it is EXTREMELY easy to get 20+ kills when you know what you are doing. No botters on the PC. Maybe your area is slightly different, but if this problem ever happens, clearly has almost no effect on the game. Its also easier to be skilled on the PC, and then by the same token easier to absolutely suck on the PC. So when you get in a game, the poor matchmaking really hits it where it hurts, sticking in a really good player or two with a handful of really terrible players. Now I don't want this thread to turn into a huge hate argument, so you made your claim, I made mine, now lets bury the hatchet and help this beginner.
    OdysseyHomeOdysseyHome
    August 2017
    KuroPredator wrote: »
    I've just started this game and played a load of frontier defense to get an idea of what does what. The moment I step into PvP though. I just get wrecked by G20 players...my kd is like 0.5 now. I've watched a ton of youtube guides and all but they are all very basic saying things like have map awareness, don't stay still, kill grunts in attrition if you can blah blah.

I desperately need some legit tips on how to get much much better at multiplayer. Should I be playing more MP or start out by training at the gauntlet? High or low mouse sensitivity? Should I bother learning slide hopping early on?

@KuroPredator What region and platform do you play on? If you post that forum users can play with you and give tips. I'm sydney XB1, so since you said mouse I assume you are PC.

Also, got any clips of your play. That can allow for more targeted help. Titanfall 2 is a rather complex game with pilot mobility, tactical ordinance loadout setups, titan 'hero-shooter' combat, and non conventional multiplayer modes. But it's a very unique and rewarding games so I hope you don't get discouraged.

I only started to get better at the game when I started doing focus practice exploiting the private match bounty hunt mode. This way I can test loadouts, practice pathing the map using mobility abilities, learn the lane structure for titan battles, experiment with control layouts (since I'm console). It's like the unoffical training mode of Titanfall 2.

Secret to success is knowing thy self. So get comfortable with a loadout, don't worry about win / lose, try not to rage, but instead think about how you can do things differently, and set yourself personal objectives like "I'm going to practice pilot anti-titan combat this match". With practice skills will develop and you'll feel like you are playing better.
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    I think the main way I got better is by playing the Singleplayer a bajillion times on Master. i don't recommend it unless you really want to, I did it because I wanted to speed run it, taking cues from the Angry Albino. I never got around to it, mostly because I can't seem to not die.
    Foofer37Foofer37
    August 2017
    You have 2 choices: Keep playing and accept getting destroyed constantly with the hope of eventually getting better, or quit and play something else. Unfortunately, this game has progressed and been changed so that the biggest complainers got what they wanted. I find that the better players usually complain when they get killed by a noob, so they ask for this or that weapon to get nerfed and they have gotten exactly what they wanted. So this is why the game has few players left. And the ones that are left easily destroy the noobs like you and me. For now I keep returning to the game and do my best, but my best is not great at all. It's very difficult at this point to get better because getting destroyed constantly really doesn't leave you any room to learn. The level of good players vs bad players is such a wide gap it's almost impossible to get anywhere. I really wish the developers would learn this. They could actually have more people playing. But the super-awesome players could care less. They will gladly enjoy one-shotting you from across the map all day long. And here we are. I hope developers will start to see that people just don't want a game that all they do is get killed over and over. Thee needs to be some concession for more casual players. But there is none. You're just told to get gud! Well, I would if I could. So many people are leaving the multiplayer scene altogether. I'm in that group for sure. that's my 2 cents.
    Quote · 1Insightful Awesome
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    Foofer37 wrote: »
    But the super-awesome players could care less. They will gladly enjoy one-shotting you from across the map all day long..

*looks at cold war* Oh, hehe... *tucks it under carpet*

Unfortunately this is the case, making it hard to actually do much. The trick is to kill those guys, take alternate routes to them, move quickly with bhopping/air strafing, use a one shot weapon your self, take cover from them the entire match.
    One of the big problems though with training through FD or Private matches is that you spend the entire time fighting AI, and they fight way differently from players.
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    I got the big advice here. I figured it out. If you want to do good, you have to use EVERYTHING.
    Use every weapon, every mod, every scope, every kit, every titan, every tactical, even every camo! (jk about the camo) This way, you know how it works and how to fight it. Use it enough that you are comfortable with it. I think that that is the main reason why I am so much better when it comes to A-wall when it comes to everyone else, as I have used it to great extent and know its limitations. However, since I don't use Tone very much and have slacked off my Northstar for months, my skill with fighting these has been very low. It will take awhile, but I am sure the experience will help.
    TheMightyM0TheMightyM0
    August 2017
    To clear things up, the SMR does not suck. It is a weird niche weapon that is virtually unstoppable if you treat it like a submachine gun and stay out of the open, but for anything more than a few feet in front of you and it gets really tricky to lead the shots until you have practiced quite a bit with it. I don't remember the number off the top of my head but that is still my top weapon in terms of number of kills by a wide margin. I think my second is the Plasma Railgun, but that's beside the point.
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    TheMightyM0 wrote: »
    To clear things up, the SMR does not suck. It is a weird niche weapon that is virtually unstoppable if you treat it like a submachine gun and stay out of the open, but for anything more than a few feet in front of you and it gets really tricky to lead the shots until you have practiced quite a bit with it. I don't remember the number off the top of my head but that is still my top weapon in terms of number of kills by a wide margin. I think my second is the Plasma Railgun, but that's beside the point.

I've been using the SMR as of late and I have been mighty impressed. Just land like one bullet and they die. Of course, landing the shot is the hard part.
    AI_softwareAI_software
    August 2017
    I would recommend starting in Pilots vs Pilots mode. It's a great place to get a lot of practice fighting other players without titans in the mix. You will learn the maps and spawns since team spawn locations are identified on the radar. And once you get used to the movement and combat with pilots, then move on to Attrition to get a feel of the titans.
    RaulSchalke04RaulSchalke04
    August 2017
    Foofer37 wrote: »
    You have 2 choices: Keep playing and accept getting destroyed constantly with the hope of eventually getting better, or quit and play something else. Unfortunately, this game has progressed and been changed so that the biggest complainers got what they wanted. I find that the better players usually complain when they get killed by a noob, so they ask for this or that weapon to get nerfed and they have gotten exactly what they wanted. So this is why the game has few players left. And the ones that are left easily destroy the noobs like you and me. For now I keep returning to the game and do my best, but my best is not great at all. It's very difficult at this point to get better because getting destroyed constantly really doesn't leave you any room to learn. The level of good players vs bad players is such a wide gap it's almost impossible to get anywhere. I really wish the developers would learn this. They could actually have more people playing. But the super-awesome players could care less. They will gladly enjoy one-shotting you from across the map all day long. And here we are. I hope developers will start to see that people just don't want a game that all they do is get killed over and over. Thee needs to be some concession for more casual players. But there is none. You're just told to get gud! Well, I would if I could. So many people are leaving the multiplayer scene altogether. I'm in that group for sure. that's my 2 cents.

Noob here also, been played this game for about 3 weeks now.

Did the one you mention "died bajillion times and keep coming back to the game".. LOL

Because this game has minimum tutorial and introduction (mostly only on campaign), this game keeps me thinking and experiment here and there.

first week my pilots kill on attrition only 0-2, 2nd week 3-4, now 4-6.

Its getting better and still many loadout that I need to experiment.

Already tried many guns, but so far Mastiff is the best for me. Charge Rifle for anti titan. Still rarely use handgun and ordinance. Class: Cloak.

Still figuring out the best Boost. Usually I use map hack, but Im not sure about this boost recently. Many times I use this but also many times I didnt detect any enemies (maybe because my teammates already killed them? not sure). Still looking for boost that can give me fast result. Will try to combine cloak and holo next. Hoping to bait enemies out with holo and sneaking them with cloaking
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    RaulSchalke04 wrote: »
    Noob here also, been played this game for about 3 weeks now.

Did the one you mention "died bajillion times and keep coming back to the game".. LOL

Because this game has minimum tutorial and introduction (mostly only on campaign), this game keeps me thinking and experiment here and there.

first week my pilots kill on attrition only 0-2, 2nd week 3-4, now 4-6.

Its getting better and still many loadout that I need to experiment.

Already tried many guns, but so far Mastiff is the best for me. Charge Rifle for anti titan. Still rarely use handgun and ordinance. Class: Cloak.

Still figuring out the best Boost. Usually I use map hack, but Im not sure about this boost recently. Many times I use this but also many times I didnt detect any enemies (maybe because my teammates already killed them? not sure). Still looking for boost that can give me fast result. Will try to combine cloak and holo next. Hoping to bait enemies out with holo and sneaking them with cloaking

Not using a handgun is kind of a good call, I find that I tend to win those fights when I reload and they pull out their pistol, especially now that pistols have been nerfed into the ground.
    Ordinance seems to be quite over looked by new players but is actually really awesome and easy to get the hang of.
    At first I always used Firestar, I tried grav star but could never get it to work. (Had no idea you had to land it right next to your target for it to do its stuff.)
    The nade I would highly reccomend to you and anyone else is the frag grenade. To use it, hold down the ordinance key until you hear a series of beeps. Be warned at the end of the beeps this nade will explode and will kill you. At the start of the beeps, right when you first here it, lob it. This will cause it to pop several meters ahead of you. Hold it down for more time for shorter distance, hold it down for less for longer distance. It will take a few games to get the hang of, but frag nades are awesome.

Boosts are lack luster, I just bought dice roll quickly (start of gen 2) and I use that or amp weapons or (if a titan mode) backup battery. i actually went though a phase for about 6 gens or so where I tended to just kind of ignore my boosts. Only problem with Dice Roll is it seems to always give my either Phase Rewind or Anti titan turret. But when i get useful stuff! Ah its a fun twist to my fights to throw down the hard cover or map hack in CTF before entering their building. Highly recommend Dice Roll.
    Joostk00Joostk00
    August 2017
    Playing campaign is the worst advice. Just play a lot of multiplayer. At first I had to adjust a bit to how fast this game was, in clutch situations I had some trouble, but everything goes a lot more fluent once you play some more.
    RedShield75RedShield75
    August 2017
    Joostk00 wrote: »
    Playing campaign is the worst advice. Just play a lot of multiplayer. At first I had to adjust a bit to how fast this game was, in clutch situations I had some trouble, but everything goes a lot more fluent once you play some more.

I disagree the campaign allows you to learn the movement as it has plenty of pits, walls, pipes, fences, grunts, prowlers, paths, turns, curved walls, etc. and it gives you a feel for each titan.
    Jinko_itxJinko_itx
    September 2017
    hello, alittle off topic but I don't know where to go to say this....the graphics of this game is awesome, its absolutely is stunning ....but one thing, the getaway flight, when it gets destroyed, it looks like 16 bit graphic explosion....why?
    KhimarosKhimaros
    December 2017
    Sonar Blade + Tone's Sonar Lock
    Seriously, these two abilities let you see through walls and watch your opponents. I cannot stress this enough, the more you can watch other players, the more you will learn how they play and how to beat them.

Lots of other players here are offering great advice, but the single biggest thing that will improve your game is being able to know where players stop to take cover, where they camp, the common routes, the places no one goes. It's difficult to describe, but I find after playing with these abilities for a while I can then switch to something like grapple or stim, because I've already tuned in to where players probably will be. It will help your map awareness immensely and after that everything else will fall into place. I promise you.
    ringwyrm0ringwyrm0
    December 2017 edited December 2017
    I'm 41, and I never really played any FPS seriously. The only multiplayer FPS I ever put more than 5 minutes into before Titanfall 2 was PvZ: Garden Warfare. That's still a fun game, BTW.

I bought this game in Janurary I think (can't remember). The deluxe addition for 84 bucks. On PS4. I couldn't get over how terrible I was in multiplayer. Literally ate me up. My average score in the beginning was probably in the 20s or 30s. Like I couldn't fathom how to use all three dimensions in space or how to think on my feet to leverage my environment with tactical, boost, ordnance, etc. I f'n sucked. I, too, could not understand how anyone could get better if they die so quick so often.

If you can't ever get off the ground, how will you learn to fly? Right?

I've done my fair share of complaining, as many people know. Just to be clear.

But I stuck with it because this game is ridiculously fun. Easily the best video game I've played in years. The graphics, the intensity, the community of players. It's just a fun game. I got way better. I'm G20 on both PS4 and PC at this point. You just gotta stick with it. I do think the upswing is a little rough. Hopefully Respawn does something with TF3 that keeps people coming back, and keeps them from quitting matches. This game sold millions of copies, but the other day there were 900 people on-line. And n00bs were getting wrecked in every match by some of the most hardcore skilled players who are loyal to the game. And to be honest, I have rage quit games just in the last week. Usually when stompers are spawntrapping or taunting people in chat. I can't take spawntrapping, I think it ruins the game.

Just stick with it, man. You will get better, and when you do... you'll start having those kill streaks that make you feel god-like. There are three things, though you have to keep in mind: (1) There will always be bad games where you get the **** stomped out of you. (2) There are players, not a lot, who consistently stomp the **** out of everybody else and (3) You will get better. If you just accept these things and don't get worked up over it, keep coming back, keep trying new things, you will get better. And it'll ruin other games for you because nothing is as rewarding as kicking **** in Titanfall.

Know the maps, know how to move, know how to dogfight. Improve your aim by picking a gun with lots of kick like Alternator or Flatline. Practice doing fly-by kills on grunts.

It took me months to get better, but for younger folk I imagine it won't take so long.
    Quote · Insightful 1Awesome
    Magikf1ngersMagikf1ngers
    December 2017
    ringwyrm0 wrote: »
    I'm 41, and I never really played any FPS seriously. The only multiplayer FPS I ever put more than 5 minutes into before Titanfall 2 was PvZ: Garden Warfare. That's still a fun game, BTW.

I bought this game in Janurary I think (can't remember). The deluxe addition for 84 bucks. On PS4. I couldn't get over how terrible I was in multiplayer. Literally ate me up. My average score in the beginning was probably in the 20s or 30s. Like I couldn't fathom how to use all three dimensions in space or how to think on my feet to leverage my environment with tactical, boost, ordnance, etc. I f'n sucked. I, too, could not understand how anyone could get better if they die so quick so often.

If you can't ever get off the ground, how will you learn to fly? Right?

I've done my fair share of complaining, as many people know. Just to be clear.

But I stuck with it because this game is ridiculously fun. Easily the best video game I've played in years. The graphics, the intensity, the community of players. It's just a fun game. I got way better. I'm G20 on both PS4 and PC at this point. You just gotta stick with it. I do think the upswing is a little rough. Hopefully Respawn does something with TF3 that keeps people coming back, and keeps them from quitting matches. This game sold millions of copies, but the other day there were 900 people on-line. And n00bs were getting wrecked in every match by some of the most hardcore skilled players who are loyal to the game. And to be honest, I have rage quit games just in the last week. Usually when stompers are spawntrapping or taunting people in chat. I can't take spawntrapping, I think it ruins the game.

Just stick with it, man. You will get better, and when you do... you'll start having those kill streaks that make you feel god-like. There are three things, though you have to keep in mind: (1) There will always be bad games where you get the **** stomped out of you. (2) There are players, not a lot, who consistently stomp the **** out of everybody else and (3) You will get better. If you just accept these things and don't get worked up over it, keep coming back, keep trying new things, you will get better. And it'll ruin other games for you because nothing is as rewarding as kicking **** in Titanfall.

Know the maps, know how to move, know how to dogfight. Improve your aim by picking a gun with lots of kick like Alternator or Flatline. Practice doing fly-by kills on grunts.

It took me months to get better, but for younger folk I imagine it won't take so long.

You say 41 like it's old. Catch up, man. :trollface:

But - everything else is spot on. Don't give up. Have fun. Set personal goals and work hard until you attain them, next thing you know, you'll be flying around, too.

Looking at the age of this post - spend some time in easy / regular Frontier Defense. Learn the mechanics.

Overall - have fun!

CADESKYWLKR36CADESKYWLKR36
    12:48PM
    I'm 46 years old. Wear glasses, and I am an average or below player. I've been playing since the game was released. At first I was losing often to players that jump around all the time like a halo match. But I learned that there is an opposing strategy to everything in this game. You have to find what works for you. I tried a little of everything, and found that using a cloaking pilot and the legion titan work best for me. My stats for winning is 55.7 percent wins. Now I even end up in the top 3 more than I lose. If my current strategy doesn't work I switch it up between spawns. Have different loadouts for pilots and titans ready to counter the enemy teams loadouts. The only time I'm guaranteed to lose is when I play without a microphone against a team with microphones, and they start spawn killing. It sucks that good players do that, but it does happen. Remember to have fun. And if it becomes too frustrating, just try something different and practice at it in matches. The campaign is fine when you need to learn basics, but against other players is the only way to improve against them.

• Magikf1ngers
    4485 postsPosts: 4,538 mod
    Closing this thread - if you want to start a new one, go for it ,but resurrecting a thread that's over a year and a half old is against the forum guidelines.
    Come find me on the PC side - Magikf1ngers - network SLACKERS UNITED

"Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." - T.S. Eliot
This discussion has been closed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!